The Retro-Football Corner

miguelfcp

Premiership
27 June 2009
Hello community.

Some of you might know me from The Retro-PES Corner, a place here on Evo-Web where we've been sharing our experiences with the many PES titles available. Though I always had faith on the concept itself, never would I thought it would be as accepted by the community as it’s turning out to be, looking at the daily activity, posts and views of a thread which has mainly been supported by discussions about 10/15-year old games. It has been tremendous.

For the last 6 months, the time I have reserved for gaming has been dedicated solely to retro-gaming, mostly PES, and each day I spend on it I get a clearer vision that this path is worth following; not just because of each version’s enjoyable gameplay but also because every PES game of the past is a living, interactive bible of football which is powerful nostalgia for the older crowd, and for the younger players retro-PES games are a learning experience, as they’re too young to have seen live both the players and the teams featured on the games.

But I’m beginning to believe the lure of retro goes beyond PES or gaming itself, it extends to football as a sport. In this age of information flowing by us at a frenetic pace, an ever-increasing number of people tend to look at football as entertainment to be consumed and then quickly forgotten after the new season rolls in - a by-product of this culture of exaggerated consumerism -; but the true football fan knows that this sport is much more than a quick fix: football’s an art. And just as we celebrate Hitchcock, Picasso or Mozart, our duty as football fans is to honor the greatest teams, players and managers for their contribution to “the beautiful game”. So in a world where the consumption of current-day football is so overwhelmingly dominant, there must be at least one temple, one museum for football fans to gather and discuss the many eras of the sport, right?

After a few online searches, I was shocked to realize that that place simply...does not exist. According to Google, “retro football”/”classic football” is about buying old shirts/kits only - plays well to the theme of consumerism, doesn't it? Once in a while you see a discussion about a particular classic match, team or player, but it’s also buried in a gigantic pool of discussions about modern-day football so it becomes irrelevant.

If we want to preserve the memory of the greatest teams and players alive, that place must be built from scratch. This is why I’m starting The Retro-Football Corner, a place for everyone to discuss and share the knowledge we have about the history of football. Do share videos, full matches, stories, opinions, articles...anything that fits the retro-discussion.

Why setting this place up in a (mostly) PES-oriented forum?

Though the quality of the gameplay is the benchmark for every football game, a tremendously important part of the experience itself is to be able to reproduce in a virtual platform what we see the players and teams do in the real-life sport.

Well, I was watching United States vs. Portugal for the 2002 World Cup and all I could think was that after the final whistle, I had to fire up PES2 for a virtual rematch between the two teams. Then I understood the dynamics here: real-life football hypes you for the virtual experience, then you play the virtual experience and it hypes you for the real-life thing, and the cycle goes on and on. What if we reproduced that cycle for a retro-focused football gaming experience, how much would it benefit both the retro-football gaming and the retro-football culture? We're about to find out.

What is considered Retro-Football?

If on the Retro-PES Corner I limited the discussion to all PES games except the current one, in our Retro-Football Corner we can adapt it so that only the current season of football can’t be discussed. As of June 2018, the 17/18 season is the only one that’s off-limits but discussion of the 16/17 season is accepted (as well as any season before that); as soon as the 18/19 season begins, discussion of the 17/18 season is accepted, and so on. The current World Cup is off-limits but the 2014 WC discussion, for example, is allowed. You get the picture.

Welcome to The Retro-Football Corner, the interactive museum of football built by you, and for every football fan.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Because football is not just flashy dribbles and goals, here's a wonderful defensive performance from one of my heroes. Hard to choose between this one vs. France on the WC2006 final and the one vs. Germany, also for the WC2006...so I'll post both.

For me, the best footballer I have ever seen play live and I only got to see him towards the end of his career so I can only begin to imagine how good he would have been to see live when he was at his peak. He could pick out passes that you couldn't even see were on from the stands and good luck getting the ball off him. I'd have paid to watch him kick a ball around the garden.

@Red_Star_Belgrade Did you get to see him play live?

@Red_Star_Belgrade: The first site you posted is blocked on my country. On rgfootball, from what I understand you need to download the matches right?

@mattmid: Class act, he played with Suker on that marvellous croatian generation, didn't he? The first long passes of the video reminded me of one of the most visually pleasing football videos I've seen:

@mattmid : Unfortunately not, i'm not 50 :DD. He is also one of my all time favorite players.

@miguelfcp : Yes, rutracker and rgfotball are for downloading matches via torrent, and both sites are "ratio" free. Try sportscult.org.

Do you guys collect football matches from the past?

Amazing stuff @Red_Star_Belgrade, I'm adding those sites to the list.
I wish I did collect it, fortunately most of the matches I like to revisit often are available online.

@Orhainmalz: Arsenal's unbeaten season?
Also have great memories from 2003-04. It was the last ever true-underdog Champions League win, FC Porto, which happens to be the club I support.

@miguelfcp Yes, he was a part of that great Croatian team and the Yugoslavian one before the country broke into many parts. So many technically gifted players seemed to come out of there during that time. Dragan Stoijkovic, Zvonomir Boban and Prosinecki and many other great players. There's a clip in that video at 2:35 that I could just watch on repeat where he almost stops to let the player catch up and go for the ball only to drag it back and then continue leaving the player laying on the grass :)

Some great passes in that video, there's similar video's for Paul Scholes as well. Both superb passers of the ball but not quite at Hoddle's level for me just because he could do it with both feet and on pitches that had more sand and mud and divots on them than grass!

Did you ever see that thing Sky once did? They got David Elleray to 'ref' the 1970 FA Cup Final replay between Chelsea v Leeds and he said reffing it now he would have given 6 red cards and 20 yellow cards :LOL:

@Orhainmalz: Is there a Emirates Stadium spell or something? Ever since you left Highbury you haven't won the Premier League...(another perk of retro-PES, being able to play in Highbury)

@miguelfcp It is a great stadium I must admit, even got padded cushions on the seats in the away end! Or at least it did the three times I went there, the last of which was probably 08/09 I think.

I think it's as simple as too many good players moved on or retired and not replaced with the same quality. There's far too many of the present squad that wouldn't have got anywhere near an Arsenal team from back then. Xhaka, Mustafi, Elneny and so on. And whoever scouted Chambers and Holding and thought they could play at the top end of the Premier, well...

@Red_Star_Belgrade What's best about then is the way player's just got up on and got on with it. Well, unless they couldn't :LOL: No physio's rushing on for a dislodged hair band in those days.

One of the great matches of the old English First Division (Yes Sky, football existed before the Premier league as did records!)

Note a young Bryan Robson in the West Brom side before his move to Man Utd and also Laurie Cunningham and Cyrille Regis both sadly no longer with us.

Did you ever see that thing Sky once did? They got David Elleray to 'ref' the 1970 FA Cup Final replay between Chelsea v Leeds and he said reffing it now he would have given 6 red cards and 20 yellow cards :LOL:

@mattmid , saw the 1974 World Cup official film on the History Channel. And even with red and yellow cards well established, the likes of Cruyff and Rivellino got a right kicking all over the pitch.
It looked brutal and softened the Dutch nicely for the Germans. :SS:SS:SS

Would not mind seeing the odd tackle in this World Cup. Looks like the football hardman is now dead and banned forever. An attitude adjuster tackle these days would probably get the player put in prison or a mental asylum. :CRY::CRY::CRY:

Great thread!

I actually was a late comer to football myself. My brothers were very much into it whereas I hated it lol. It was when I seen a few Champion League games (Chelsea v Barcelona Zola scoring a free kick) and then the Euro 2000 kicked off I actually began a deep interest in the game.

I started buying sticker albums (Euro 2000 my first) and Match, Shoot and World Soccer. Going on Planet Football to keep tabs with Europe and Rest of The World football world.

So ever since that my knowledge and interest has really grown. I am always interested in reading the retro football topics. I just found football more interesting back then. Who cannot forget when the Champions League had the double group stages

Last edited:
Great thread!

I actually was a late comer to football myself. My brothers were very much into it whereas I hated it lol. It was when I seen a few Champion League games (Chelsea v Barcelona Zola scoring a free kick) and then the Euro 2000 kicked off I actually began a deep interest in the game.

I started buying sticker albums (Euro 2000 my first) and Match, Shoot and World Soccer. Going on Planet Football to keep tabs with Europe and Rest of The World football world.

So ever since that my knowledge and interest has really grown. I am always interested in reading the retro football topics. I just found football more interesting back then. Who cannot forget when the Champions League had the double group stages

I can remember when the Champions League was the European Cup and had no group stages (btw another money grabbing scheme concocted by the likes of Bernard Tapie, Olym Marseille and Silivio Berlusconi, AC Milan) to guarantee a set number of television live games each season.

Football politics is never about football. :RANT:

Yeah the good old days of the European Cup, UEFA Cup and Cup Winner's Cup all played in a knockout format from start to finish. When every year the winners of the main European trophy actually had won their league the season before rather than finishing fourth or something! Two legs and if you lost that was it. That would soon have the manager's stop complaining about too many games wouldn't it. So much more enjoyable to watch than now with so many meaningless group games going on in the 5th and 6th fixtures. Finish third in your group and go into the Europa League. I'm surprised they don't find them another cup to go into if they get knocked out of that as well.

But no, money appeared and Sky invented football in the UK because it apparently didn't exist before that and now you have players earning in a week an amount the some lower league clubs could survive the best part of a season on.

@mattmid , you and I are going to have to find something to disagree about, could be difficult as I completely agree about the Europa League being a massive degradation of the old UEFA Cup, it is just seen as an unwanted fixture pile up by most English clubs and am sure many continental clubs don't rate it as highly as the old UEFA and Cup Winners Cups.

UEFA and FIFA. :R1:R1:R1

Yeah, if they just made it a knockout and didn't let clubs come in from the Champions Lge it would be a start. Less games, so less moaning, and winnable.

The Champions League has become this holy grail for some reason. You have fans celebrating finishing fourth - what's that all about? Like last season really, I thought why are Arsenal fans moaning about not making the champions league? They haven't got a chance in hell of winning it but at least in the Europa League they have a chance!

What do fans want? Oh remember how we went out in the last 16 of the champions league to Bayern Munich, what a night that was... or... Remember the night we won the Europa Lge? Surely the latter??

We could disagree about Big Sam I guess :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom