The PC Building Thread

Would i need the R9 280x or better to play Fifa 15 and GTA 5 when they come out at max do you think?

In regards to how shit GTA 4 ran on PC when that was released it wouldn't surprise if again it will run badly on PC.
I would get the best possible card in your budget, GTA 4 had lots of problems when that came out on PC.

Also as Placebo mentioned Ubisoft games have very poor performance on ATI cards, and Mantle will be made completely irrelevant when DX12 is released.
I have always personally preferred Nvidia cards due to better drivers and I much prefer their built in software and with the recent Geforce experience software, it really has made PC gaming a complete breeze.

The only downside is that you will get better bang per buck going with ATI, but personally I think the better drivers and software make Nvidia cards worth the extra investment.

how much could i fetch for my 560TI and what would be a reasonable upgrade on that? (think GTA 5, Arkham 3 etc)

Quick look on eBay suggests you would get £50-£65 for one.

Newer games would benefit from a better card, BF4 looks incredible on PC in 1080p maxed out and is probably the best looking game on the market.
GTA 5 will probably require a better card as it will probably be very unoptimised for PC and run like shit.

As for Arkham Knight, if your happy with how Arkham City runs then you wouldn't need to upgrade for this. As it uses the same engine and the PC version will look the same anyway.

how much could i fetch for my 560TI and what would be a reasonable upgrade on that? (think GTA 5, Arkham 3 etc)
Really depends on you budget mate. You could go like for like in the Nvidia range and go for a 760 although a 770 would be my preference if you can afford it.

AMD's R9 280/280X would be another good option.

looking at £150 to be honest, though might hold off and throw a bit more in later if my rig seems OK for Arkham Knight (City ran fine but suspected PS4 upgrade would make it more demanding) and FIFA 15 and get the 770 at the end of the year.

If you can find £200 then you open up some nicer options.

I'm not sure when Nvidia's 800 series is coming out but that should lead to some good deals on 700 cards when the time comes. Probably worth waiting a bit if you're happy with your card for now.

looking at £150 to be honest, though might hold off and throw a bit more in later if my rig seems OK for Arkham Knight (City ran fine but suspected PS4 upgrade would make it more demanding) and FIFA 15 and get the 770 at the end of the year.

Arkham Knight will run the same, I wouldn't worry about the PS4 version would require a better spec machine, as PC on Med-High settings will look better than the PS4 version anyway.

I would save up to get yourself £200, you will be able to get a much better card for your money, or you could just buy another 560ti for £50-£70 and SLI them that way you would have a very significant performance increase.

I think if you're looking to buy a current generation card it's between these two:

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-280-vs-GeForce-GTX-760

Although you may need to up the budget by £10-20 for either of these. It's difficult to say which is best out of these two but the 3GB video RAM on the R9 280 will serve it well going forward. On the other hand Nvidia's drivers tend to be a little better but having personally owned cards from both brands in the last year, I didn't find AMD's drivers to be bad at all. They have been very good recently.

I wouldn't look at anything lower than these cards if you want something that is reasonably future proof. The other option is go second hand and see if you can pick up a GTX 680 or Radeon 7950/7970. You should be able to find one of these for £150 or less and they are still very good cards. In fact, both the Nvidia 700 series and AMD R9 series are basically rebrands of the last-gen cards. Again, the AMD cards (7950/7970) will give you 3GB video RAM compared to 2GB on the Nvidia GTX 680.

I can recommend this card.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-...mhz-boost-1150mhz-1280-streams-dp-2x-dl-dvi-h

Also can claim 2 free games.

Have had some terrible issues with Nvidia drivers over last year or so.
Decided to make the break and have not regretted it for a moment.

Had a couple of minor issues with Nvidia drivers myself, although nothing too serious. Nvidia drivers aren't the promised land some GPU fanboys would have us believe.

My experience with AMD drivers has been mostly good over the past couple of years. They may have had their issues in the past but people who criticise AMD drivers now do not really know what they are talking about.

As for GPU recommendations, I would advise getting a 3gb card as a minimum now. The next-gen AAA games will push VRAM usage past the 2gb mark and maybe further.

True, however after the Nvidia issues I have had, would now rather have a good stable driver rather than update what is not broken.

Never had any problems with Nvidia drivers myself, but then never had many issues with AMD either, I personally just don't like the interface on AMD cards.
I just think with the new Nvidia experience software, Nvidia have moved ahead of AMD and their clunky Control Centre.

Also with Ubisoft fucking up all their games on purpose, it is pretty good reason not to get AMD as well, but BPB you can't beat AMD.
I would also save the extra £50 and get the 280x over the 270x.

with the new Nvidia experience software, Nvidia have moved ahead of AMD and their clunky Control Centre.

Also with Ubisoft fucking up all their games on purpose, it is pretty good reason not to get AMD as well, but BPB you can't beat AMD.

Those two reasons for me are why I finally made the switch recently after years as a devoted AMD GPU purchaser.

Im currently building my first gaming pc, its really fun doing research for parts, I sold my ps4 and xbox one to fund it, I hardly used them tbh, this is the what im building:

I7-4770k
Gigabyte G1. Sniper Z87
Kingston Fury 16GB RAM
EVGA GTX 780 SC 6GB
Corsair RM850 PSU
Samsung Evo 120gb SSD
2TB WD Hard Drive
Blu ray optical drive
Thermaltake Urban S31 case

Excellent build. I can't really offer much other than you don't really need 16GB RAM for a gaming PC. 8GB will more than suffice if you want to save some cash to spend elsewhere.

I've got the same GPU although the 3GB version. It's a great card.

cool ok mate, Ive already bought an 8 gb stick so I might as well save my money then.

Are you planning on overclocking the CPU? I can't see any cpu cooling in your list above.

With a system like that give it the cooler it deserves. H100i or Noctua NH-D14 (although you'll need low profile ram)

Are you planning on overclocking the CPU? I can't see any cpu cooling in your list above.

With a system like that give it the cooler it deserves. H100i or Noctua NH-D14 (although you'll need low profile ram)

not sure about overclocking yet, but If I do it will be corsair water cooled.

Back
Top Bottom