The PC Building Thread

So i3 3220 would be a bad choice?

It will probably be fine if your an absolute budget and can't get an i5, but the difference when playing FM is huge, my desktop runs FM a lot quicker and smoother than my laptop.

If not look into getting an AMD as they normally give a better bang per buck for those on a budget.

Case : Black Gaming Tower Case
Power Supply : Branded X-Viper 650 Watt 80+ Bronze Editon Active PFC
Motherboard : Asus P8H61-MX USB3
CPU : Intel I5 3470 Quad Core CPU
Hard Drive : 500gb Sata Hard Drive
Memory : 4gb DDR3 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance Memory
Graphics Card : Nvidia GTX 650 Ti 1gb (Dual screen support via DVI / MINI HDMI / VGA)
Optical Drive : 24x Dual Layer DVD Writer
Warranty : 12 Months Return To Base (Parts & Labour)
Connections : 6 x USB 2.0 / 2 x USB 3.0 / LAN / Sound
Software : Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Is this any good for £509?

Also what the eff is Mini HDMI?

Too many times crashes BattleField 4 on my system while Playing.
I wonder if there're less problems on a decent system.

If anyone of you has no problem while playing BF4, please show the specification of your system.

P.S; I know this question should have been thrown to the Battlefield4 thread.
But that seemed to be a Console thread.

Last edited:
Too many times crashes BattleField 4 on my system while Playing.
I wonder if there're less problems on a decent system.

If anyone of you has no problem while playing BF4, please show the specification of your system.

P.S; I know this question should have been thrown to the Battlefield4 thread.
But that seemed to be a Console thread.

Not really. All my mates who have the game are suffering the same.

Well finally got round to building it yesterday and the case is a little on the large size but I must say I love cable management on new cases really does make a huge difference when building a machine.
Water cooler is quite noisy though in relation to my previous CPU fan, but the temps have dropped very considerably, I know have my 4770k running at 4.5Ghz Stable and temps never go above 65c.

Here are some pics:

3y4b.jpg

8mrj.jpg

Last edited:
[size=+2]System Builds update November 2013:
[/size]

Again Same Rules these are just ideas of what sort of system you can get for your money.
Components can be change and replaced with *USER* preference components.

When the builds have been verified by other Evo-Webbers then Scutch will update the main front page.

£800:

jpm7.jpg

£700:

wfg3.jpg

£600:

gwcj.jpg

PS4 Beater and who said you couldn't build a PC of same spec for the same price?:

Last edited:
Seeing your build, I'm tempted to open mine up again and sort out the cables. They're not in a huge mess, just a couple here and there that aren't tucked away properly.

Will it affect performance in anyway?

Seeing your build, I'm tempted to open mine up again and sort out the cables. They're not in a huge mess, just a couple here and there that aren't tucked away properly.

Will it affect performance in anyway?

Not at all really, might make a 1 degree difference but it is just so it looks clean and tidy when you open it up.

While it is optional, don't forget it still doesn't include other peripherals such as keyboard, mouse, speaker and display and also operating system.

Console is designed to be a part of home entertainment, buyer are most likely already owned a tv or home theater set.

And in certain region, PC components are much more expensive than a console.

I'm thinking of doing a 500-600 build. Which site are you using bsmaff?

Site is Aria for the builds I have used on here, but you can find better deals on other websites. I just find Aria pretty cheap in general but the problem with them is that the stock they sell is limited.

Just bought an X-Star 27" 1440p monitor, which is overclockable upto 96hz and some even to 120hz.

I'm considering either purchasing another 7950 (exact one as mine, MSI TF III) and running crossfire, or buying a mates 7970 and running it alongside my 7950, anyone done this and got any advice if crossfire runs well these days?

My 7950 might surprise me at 1440p though... it's a wonderful card with it's current OClock.

Just bought an X-Star 27" 1440p monitor, which is overclockable upto 96hz and some even to 120hz.

I'm considering either purchasing another 7950 (exact one as mine, MSI TF III) and running crossfire, or buying a mates 7970 and running it alongside my 7950, anyone done this and got any advice if crossfire runs well these days?

My 7950 might surprise me at 1440p though... it's a wonderful card with it's current OClock.

I would save your money and buy another 7950, as when you crossfire cards they perform at the level of the slowest card. So the 7970 would only run clocked at the same speeds as the 7950.

Crossfire and SLI both run great these days as the majority of games now have the feature added, unlike 7-8 years ago when the technology was new and no games supported it. I would of thought you will need to upgrade as I would expect a single 7950 to struggle running games at 1440 @60 FPS.

I would save your money and buy another 7950, as when you crossfire cards they perform at the level of the slowest card. So the 7970 would only run clocked at the same speeds as the 7950.

Crossfire and SLI both run great these days as the majority of games now have the feature added, unlike 7-8 years ago when the technology was new and no games supported it. I would of thought you will need to upgrade as I would expect a single 7950 to struggle running games at 1440 @60 FPS.

My current overclock basically matches a stock 7970, my mates got a 7970 GHz edition and even that is just a few frames average better per game.

I'm considering the 7970 as I will get it real cheap compared to what he paid, and definitely cheaper than what any 7950s are going for brand new.

Only issue is, I'll also need to upgrade my PSU as I never through this far ahead, and got a 550w... :(

I'll probably just wait for the aftermarket 290s... haha.

My current overclock basically matches a stock 7970, my mates got a 7970 GHz edition and even that is just a few frames average better per game.

I'm considering the 7970 as I will get it real cheap compared to what he paid, and definitely cheaper than what any 7950s are going for brand new.

Only issue is, I'll also need to upgrade my PSU as I never through this far ahead, and got a 550w... :(

I'll probably just wait for the aftermarket 290s... haha.

550w might be ok... you will need to check how many AMPS it produces along the 12V rail before you will need to upgrade.

In regards to buying a new GFX card I would wait till Nvidia release their new ones next Spring, as if what they are rumoured to be working on ends up being true then they will wipe the floor with anything available at present.
Plus all new features like the G-Sync definitely make them an interesting investment.

Are we talking about Crossfire here? I think you need a 750w+ PSU for 2x7950.

Then again, I sold my 7950 to a guy who was going to use it in CF. His 750w PSU couldn't cope and he had to go 850w.

Guys. One really popular and common question about processor and a graphic card OC. Is it worth to do ? I am thinking to do so. How to start OC i5 4670k ? Obviously to keep this component safe and do not have to buy another PC after feckless experiment.

My specs (as on the bottom)

Processor: Intel i5 @ 3.4 GHz.
Ram : Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 .
VGA : Sapphire HD 7950 vapor-x 3 GB.
+ Corsair 750v power supply.

I have OC a bit my graphic card. It has been done in a software (if you need to see the seets just let me know I will upload it up for you).

What about processor? I know it might be OC even up to 4.4 GHZ which obviously might be more powerful while playing high perfomance games but without knowledge of how to do that, I do not want to touch any slider of the power/speed etc.

Any tips, help or suggestion ?

Also, I have updated my PC about 3 months ago, mostly to play the latest games (obviously I paid as much as I could but I spent 600 pounds having hope I can play the most of newest game at high / ultra setts).

The problem is that I can'.t NBA 2k14 runs with lags, Grid 2 as well, even Pro Evo doesn't run really smoothly (especially while replays). I cannot believe that my PC doesn't meet the requirements as it definitely does.

I have got the latest drivers obviously. Where is the problem, then ?

Back
Top Bottom