The Evo-Web Football Thoughts Blog

So much of it is just grandstanding and bluster.

I was an absolute sitting duck in Groningen. I'd gone back to the hotel because I forgot something, and was walking back - on my own - to the town square when a group of about 150 guys came charging around the corner shouting and screaming. I'm standing in the middle of the street in an Aberdeen shirt and bucket hat. And they all just ran past me. Nevertheless, I ducked down an alleyway where a couple of women kindly stood in front me to obscure me from view.

Police must've been expecting something as a wall of them appeared out of nowhere. Cue the fans rushing back down the street away from them. Once the coast was clear I went up to the cordon and was let through as it was quite obvious I was an Aberdeen fan. Was summoned into a bar by a local and offered a beer on house as an apology! It appeared that the protocol was to get everyone inside and lock the doors. About half an hour later I was on my way and met up with my pals.

Stunned I wasn't at least hit with a sucker punch or worse. They went right past me! I don't know of anyone who was hurt. I think there was the odd skirmish but it wasn't even a casuals thing, just Groningen hooligans going after normal fans. There was footage of a Groningen fan throwing a bike at a (Dutch) pipe band hired to welcome us Scots.

Embarrassing. I don't get it. If they want to meet up somewhere off the beaten track and beat the shit out of each other that's fine by me. Just don't get regular fans - families and kids especially - caught up in it.

Last edited:
So much of it is just grandstanding and bluster.

I was an absolute sitting duck in Groningen. I'd gone back to the hotel because I forgot something, and was walking back - on my own - to the town square when a group of about 150 guys came charging around the corner shouting and screaming. I'm standing in the middle of the street in an Aberdeen shirt and bucket hat. And they all just ran past me. Nevertheless, I ducked down an alleyway where a couple of women kindly stood in front me to obscure me from view.

Police must've been expecting something as a wall of them appeared out of nowhere. Cue the fans rushing back down the street away from them. Once the coast was clear I went up to the cordon and was let through as it was quite obvious I was an Aberdeen fan. Was summoned into a bar by a local and offered a beer on house as an apology! It appeared that the protocol was to get everyone inside and lock the doors. About half an hour later I was on my way and met up with my pals.

Stunned I wasn't at least hit with a sucker punch or worse. They went right past me! I don't know of anyone who was hurt. I think there was the odd skirmish but it wasn't even a casuals thing, just Groningen hooligans going after normal fans. There was footage of a Groningen fan throwing a bike at a (Dutch) pipe band hired to welcome us Scots.

Embarrassing. I don't get it. If they want to meet up somewhere off the beaten track and beat the shit out of each other that's fine by me. Just don't get regular fans - families and kids especially - caught up in it.
I'm fine with those idiot's beating the shit out of each other in some quarry somewhere ,the throwing chairs/bottles attacking pubs etc is so fucking low.
"We're lads we have a strict code blah blah"
No you don't ,you smash up shit when you can regardless of what's in your way

Screenshot 2021-07-23 161312.jpg

230114_908223010.jpg

With UEFA botching FFP, PSG are now just buying everyone. Put your money on them winning the next CL right away.

Seeing some of the figures touted for wages in some of the recent transfer rumours did I imagine the ESL fiasco where all these clubs were desperately looking to bring in more money for themselves? Not a bloody thing has been learnt not that it's a surprise.

So No away supporters allowed ,didn't stop a hundred or so to travel Stockholm - Maribor.
Them hanging outside seems to piss off Maribor ultras so much that they bombarded them with flares ,all missed but the neighbors lawn is burning.
Ha ha fucking amateurs

So it seems Messi will leave Barça..

Never really thought the day would have come, even in modern era!

Atleti, Boca, Man(Sh)City ??? whats next step for him? Do will Pep stay or leave Manchester?

Or maybe and of carreer. I don't know...

Yeah it's been 3 games per week now for a 3week period.
I'm pretty confident we can go for it at home though.
That's a good one for you guys ,you should breeze through buddy

No away goals takes some of the fear out of going for it at home. Every chance to turn it around.

Group stage football seems more feasible by the game for us. Everything crossed!

No away goals takes some of the fear out of going for it at home. Every chance to turn it around.

Group stage football seems more feasible by the game for us. Everything crossed!
Thank fuck that pre historic rule is changed.
If you make the group stage ,wishes?
Glory teams or fun teams from quirky places ,aka eastern Europe?

By the way, how good is it when your town/city's team is playing well and there's a buzz about the place? 🥰
So good, isn't it.

We won 1-0 today - bit of a crazy game, the linesman injured himself and Mike Dean (Tranmere fan and referee) made himself known to take over as fourth official. This entire thread is fantastic:

Anyway. First game of the season. 1-0. You wouldn't think it would be a huge deal. Long way to go.

Look what it meant to the manager (who left us a year ago for Dundee United - being Scottish, we didn't really blame him - then came back after the chairman apparently begged him):

Not just the manager, but the players, and the fans:

Magic.

Excellent. 😁

Having someone from the crowd (even if they are a top-level ref) step in as an official is wonderful. Something from a simpler age.

Certainly more life from Mickey Mellon than I saw at any point last season! His former side beating Rangers yesterday is helping us dream. Rangers are the best team in the league. Dundee United beat them. We beat (easily) Dundee United last week. Syllogistically, we're now the best team in the league and we're winning a treble.

@Flipper the Priest Makes perfect sense. Who is this Rangers you speak of anyway? Down here we only know of a Steven Gerrard's Rangers.

I bet you enjoyed that result yesterday :D

@Chris Davies Nice :) Wasn't it Shrewsbury that he did really well at as well?

Oh yeah. To 99% of people at Sky, that was Steven Gerrard's Rangers against Dundee. Up here it's pretty much a national celebration when Sky get the Dundee teams the right way round.

Loved the result. Good for the league. That's Rangers and Celtic with two defeats from three games in the league combined. Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs looking strong. Dundee and Hearts in for Hamilton and Kilmarnock. Still expect it to be Rangers way ahead of Celtic way ahead of the rest, but as long as each game has a sense of competition that's an upgrade. Just a shame about off the field - the selling of the league remains a joke.

@Chris Davies Nice :) Wasn't it Shrewsbury that he did really well at as well?
Yes, he got promotions with Fleetwood, Shrewsbury and Tranmere (getting us all the way from the Conference to League 1, before Covid ended the season early and we were relegated on the average points calculation).

I honestly think he's one of the most underrated lower-league managers around. I'm delighted he's back with us, but I'm also gutted his time in the SPL didn't work out for him.

Saturday afternoon football, that's one of the real plusses of being in League One/Two.

Having said that we already have a game changed by Sky to a Monday evening when the first International break hits as they yet again try to sell the 'Dockside Derby' (Portsmouth v Plymouth) Seriously it's 170 miles and the best part of 4 fucking hours away with the roads there, it's quicker to get to Stoke! It is not a DERBY, never has been and never will be!

Snap! Nervy moments but all good in the end - 5-3 on aggregate. On to Azer-fucking-baijan.

First game back with no restrictions. We scored early in the second half in front of our traditional 'home end', the noisy bit. Pandemonium. I got properly emotional. What a loser*.

* I regret nothing.

Thank you, Arsenal, for being reliably dogshit at football. :LOL:

0ysKbHE.jpg

Back
Top Bottom