The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim [All Platforms]

I think I'm using Daedric or Dragon armour but it's enchanted with different attributes to fortify strength/archery/carry weight etc.

My Daedric bow currently has a stock damage rating of 350 ish. That's before the enchantments and perks including 3x damage for sneak attacks. It's an absolute weapon and can take down giants and Dragon Priests easily in 1 - 2 hits. Probably makes the game too easy the further you progress.

Yeah that looks great. I can't find any release date for the patch though, it just says the pc beta version is out now and console versions will be coming out 'soon'.

I'm a bit annoyed at the way I've wasted a load of perks to be honest, I concentrated on getting dragon armour so much via a friend's recommendation that I used a ton of perks just to get to dragon armour on the perk tree. Wish I hadn't bothered now.

Last edited:
100 in Smithing is a pretty damn good attribute to have though - if anything it made the game too easy for me.

You can make Daedric weapons (best in the game) and once upgraded they're lethal - I imagine that if you're a heavy armor style player that the Daedric armor/shield are the best to have.
Personally I use the Dark Brotherhood apparel, it has perks that end up giving you 30x normal damage with sneak attacks using daggers (also 12x with a sword, 3x with a bow) so ANY sneak attack on anything, even a giant or a dragon with a dagger is a one hit kill, the bow takes out most enemies in one or two hits. dragons needing 7-8.

If you combine it with a high level in Enchanting, you can make the weapons even stronger - my daggers at the moment are Mehrunes Razor (small chance to instantly kill) and the Blade of Woe (absorbs health), then if I get in a face-to-face fight without being able to sneak and stealthily take out the enemies, I dual-wield Daedric swords, one with fire damage and one with frost damage and I have two Daedric bows, one with Soul Trap (for recharging other equipment) and the other with fire damage.

Pretty much unstoppable :P.

what you guys think is best attacking option

Dual weidling one handed weapons
Dual wield magic
Double handed heavy weapons
One hand weapon+sheild

Yeah, that's my usual tipple.

Usually heal, TBH.

But now my character is so powerful, especially with a bow, that I don't need heal at all.

Well, starting again has been awesome. I went immediately for dual wielding either low level swords and axes, and it’s hard as nails. For some reason I’m flying through the one handed levels crazily fast, and many attacks can be done in a couple of hits with a cut scene at the end…I’ve only just killed my first Dragon and am already at one handed level 35. I remember, first time round, taking ages to even beat the first real boss character, and this time I just flew into him and battered him in less than 20 seconds…

Somehow my character feels really overpowered on dual wielding. There isn't a block, but it seems so powerful. I certainly don't recall flying up the one handed combat levels so quickly before.

Maybe it’s just because I’m now a lot more experienced with the game, now I know how most of it works. For example it must have taken me about five to ten hours first time round to even realise you start the game with fire and restore magic…

So anyhow, I'm now playing this on my new surround sound headphones and it's bliss. My main methods at the moment are to sneak up somewhere, get a good shot off with my bow from distance, getting the 'sneak attack hit' bonus, which alerts everyone else, then I wade in with my axes with at least one of the men taken out or injured.

Last edited:
I may go back to this when the 1.5 patch hits the consoles, but for now I'm just waiting on the DLC arriving. I'm level 70 and have maxed out quite a few of the skills and perk trees.

There's no way I could go back and start again now, but can appreciate and respect the effort in doing so.

It's strange going through stuff I've done a second time. I'm re-doing all the Companions missions and they're different to first time around...

there's a mission called 'Trouble in Skyrim', which, second time around,saw me having to take out a gang leader at Bleak Falls Barrow, the same place I'd recently got the dragonstone. So I go there and the dungeon is empty because I'd just cleared it already. I get to the end and the overlord who I defeated in the main quest mission has regenerated and I had to defeat him for a second time...bit odd that. Missions must be randomly generated or something.

I seem to be hitting a bit of a dead end with this right now. There are a number of missions I've tried that I've simply had to give up on, since I reach the end of a dungeon or something and every time I face one of those arsehole Draugr overlords. I've got my one-handed weapons rating up to 75 now and yet a dual-wielding power attack literally does nothing to them. He'd have to take over 30 hits to take him down, whereas he just hits me 2-3 times and I'm down. Magic too does next to nothing on them. Even worse, they do a shout almost straight away and knock my weapons out of my hands and flying across the room. I'm on level 28, like I say, with level 75 one-handed and dual wielding, and it's like tickling the guy with a feather duster ...

The two main places I've come up against this are

during the first proper training mission at Winterhold College of magic, and the other is for the 'Discover the power of Valthume' side mission

Other than that it's crazy, I must have well over 40 main and side missions to do, it's getting out of control actually. Doing one side mission that takes me to a new town sees me finish it with another five new missions created.

I'm guessing though those overlord guys can't be beaten unless I've improved my swords and armour, and enchanted them to a sufficient level. I've concentrated boosting my sword and archery, but they're still not doing anything to them. My magic is still on novice so that's never going to work either.

The game's starting to really piss me off now, the missions have no sense of difficulty curve whatsoever. I just tried the Azura Star mission, which incidentally, the game makes available near the beginning of the game. Starting the mission a little later on level 28, obtaining the star itself was piss easy. I then go into the star to get rid of Maylin, and it suddenly jumps to absolutely fucking impossible even on level 28. How they expect anyone to do this any earlier is beyond me.

It basically consists of a short conversation, he runs away to the left, you go round the corner and there are THREE of him all pummelling you in a corridoor with fireballs. Now, one of him just needs to hit me three times and I'm dead. Now imagine being hit simultaneously with all three of them, and it's lights out after less than ten seconds every time. So, yet again, I've had to abandon another mission because the very final step is ludicrously overpowered compared to everything that went before it. If they're gonna waste my time getting me to explore a dungeon for half an hour at a time then I'd like at least some indication that there isn't some dude at the end of it who is x10000 more powerful than anything I've previously faced. There's just no warning.

So that's a whole ton of missions just sitting there in my game with little to no chance of completing for a huge amount of time. In fact, I'm running out of missions that I can actually realistically complete. And that's getting pretty boring now.

The game's starting to really piss me off now, the missions have no sense of difficulty curve whatsoever. I just tried the Azura Star mission, which incidentally, the game makes available near the beginning of the game. Starting the mission a little later on level 28, obtaining the star itself was piss easy. I then go into the star to get rid of Maylin, and it suddenly jumps to absolutely fucking impossible even on level 28. How they expect anyone to do this any earlier is beyond me.

It basically consists of a short conversation, he runs away to the left, you go round the corner and there are THREE of him all pummelling you in a corridoor with fireballs. Now, one of him just needs to hit me three times and I'm dead. Now imagine being hit simultaneously with all three of them, and it's lights out after less than ten seconds every time. So, yet again, I've had to abandon another mission because the very final step is ludicrously overpowered compared to everything that went before it. If they're gonna waste my time getting me to explore a dungeon for half an hour at a time then I'd like at least some indication that there isn't some dude at the end of it who is x10000 more powerful than anything I've previously faced. There's just no warning.

So that's a whole ton of missions just sitting there in my game with little to no chance of completing for a huge amount of time. In fact, I'm running out of missions that I can actually realistically complete. And that's getting pretty boring now.

You're approaching them in the wrong way, mate.

There's always a way to defeat an enemy using logic. For example, I'm not sure if it's the same encounter, but there's a guy you have to defeat who summons 3 Dremora Lords to stop you from getting to him. There are countless ways to do this. Either defeat them (hard), use an invisibility potion or even a Shout to run past them undetected and defeat the boss himself, which then renders the Dremora's redundant, or even send in your hired help while you pick them off from afar. So many outcomes and scenarios to deal with what's ahead of you.

I remember Scutch's quest - I remember sending my assistant to deal with the boss, and I just killed off the weaker Dremoras. All I needed to do was enchant/heal my assistant.

I remember Scutch's quest - I remember sending my assistant to deal with the boss, and I just killed off the weaker Dremoras. All I needed to do was enchant/heal my assistant.

That's the quest where some witch/wizard sends you into an alternate world IIRC. The boss is at the bottom of a winding patch and the Dremora's block your way. I just turned Etheral and ran past them and then took out the boss with a few arrows.

Well when I tried to beat the Mage dude and his mates I didn't have any capacity to be invisible. I think I was just underpowered.

I've since done a ton of levelling up and went back to the overlord who kept blowing my weapons out of my hands though. My dual wielding character has single hand combat up to 85 now, so I went back to the dungeon, this time with a companion, and also summoned a flame demon thingy, ran in, knocked him over with a shout, and the three of us waded into him while he was on the floor. The fight only lasted about five seconds before I beat him!

The other overlord I ran away from will be tougher though, he has a shout that one hit kills you and is a lot tougher so that tactic probably won't work.

Also, has anyone heard when this patch is coming out? For a month now all they've said is it's coming out on consoles "soon".

Thought it came out yesterday?

http://www.qj.net/ps3/news/skyrim-console-patches-are-live.html

Hey, remember how Bethesda submitted Skyrim patch 1.5 to Microsoft and Sony over ten days ago and the patch was still somehow not out? Well, it looks like the long road through certification has finally come to an end, and 1.5 is now live. For Xbox users, anyway—PS3 owners can pick it up later today.

Ah brilliant, I wouldn't have noticed because I was last on Skyrim on Wednesday. Seems like there are a lot of fixes. Should be good :))

Yeah on that quest you mention I summoned the Spectral Assassin (power gained from Dark Brotherhood) who just diverted attention really while I sneak attacked from afar.

That's about as complex as the combat gets really, and that's why I rarely play Skyrim these days. It's pretty sad when the ultimate enemies (supposedly) in the Dragons can be easily defeated by hiding behind rocks/trees.
Battles with other enemies end up being just a recurring pattern of hits/blocks or simply a sword swinging match until they die.
Stealth is pretty cool up until the point where you level/perk up so much that you can almost take out whole open rooms in plain sight undetected.

Hey guys, been reading the last few pages of the thread recently, seems like most of you are deep into the game.

Well, I myself am not the RPG-playing type of guy, so this is totally new to me. I'm getting the game these days, for the PC (should be able to play it on high settings although my PC's hardly a high-end one).

So I just wanted to get a few tips for starters - what should I do to improve my experience? Apart from installing the official patches (up to the latest one), of course, I have checked out the SkyrimNexus mod page and I've seen that following post with the recommended mods.

To start I would recommend the following mods:

A Quality World Map - With Roads
Deadly Dragons
Better Werewolves and Vampires
Better Bound Weapons
Weapons of the Third Era
Imperial Legion Overhaul V25
Assassins Creed Thieves
Better Females by Bella
Calientes Female Body Mod Big Bottom Edition
Improved NPC Clothing - High Res
Enhanced Blood Textures

You can find all of them here: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/

So, it would be really great if some of you could give me some advice on how should I approach this game, both technically (with the mod stuff) and gameplay-wise. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Not sure what advice you'd like mod-wise but one suggestion I have is to pick a personality for your character and only do things that you think he/she would do. So if he's a morally-good fighter you might not want to do the assassins and mage missions on this play through. It just depends on how you like to play but that would certainly give the game more longevity instead of doing all the quests in one go like I did.

My advice would be to look long and hard at the character choices and abilities before starting, then really focus on a play style. Don't waste perk upgrades by spreading them across the board. For example, if you choose to run with heavy armour, then stick with it and really focus on upgrading its perks etc.

Personally, I think I may have done a bit too much stat grinding now, it's suddenly become very easy all of a sudden. I shouldn't really have done it, but here's what I did if anyone's interested;

I've managed to get my one-handed abilities to 85 now, and am still dual wielding. I then basically spent my time doing tons of side missions, obtaining and refilling soul gems with the soul trap spell, taking them back, enchanting daggers that I'd also created to get my smithing up.

From there, I found myself with 100 smithin and 100 enchanting, and concentrated every perk on increasing the middle enchanting perk tree (the perks offering stuff like 25% extra effect on enchanting armour etc).

I then realised I had in my inventory both enchanting and blacksmithing potions that increase my abilities by up to 50% for 60 seconds. Next, I disenchanted an amulet I found which gave me the fortify smithing perk, meaning I now have a smithing enchantment.

Once I had everything together, I popped an enchanting boost potion, then frantically used four grand soul gems filled with grand soul (these are essential to get maximum effect on the stuff you're enchanting) to enchant some regular clothing - a shirt, some hide bracers, a necklace and a ring. This made all of them now enchanted with a smithing enchantment that allows stuff to be created 28% better. Put on all the clothes, and you have a 112% increase when you smith weapons and armour.

Phew ... next, I again got all the stuff I needed, and made sure I'd unlocked the Elven smithing perk (allowing them to be made twice as well), and the smithing perk to be able to enchant magic items. I have also maxed out the light armour perks such as wearing a matching set giving an armour rating boost etc.

From here, I popped a blacksmith potion of 50% increase, while wearing all the smithing clothes I'd just made, and used them to create Elven armour (boots, body armour, helmet, bracers etc), two swords for dual wielding and bow. Note, only pop the potion when improving these items - their base levels when making them are the same no matter what you do, but the smithing stuff comes into play when improving them on the grindstone and workbench.

NEXT, I took all these back to the enchantment table. With another bunch of filled grand souls, and another enchanting potion, and the enchanting perk to add two enchantments per item, I enchanted my armour with single handed fortify and archery fortify enchantments, meaning that wearing them gives me a total of 50% stronger one handed attacks and 60% stronger bow attacks. I also enchanted my boots to allow for extra carry weight, meaning my light armour can carry up to 400 now.

So, after that long winded explanation, I've now got light armour of 717, am dual wielding two Elven swords at nearly 300 each, and have a bow of nearly 300. I also have them enchanted to add bonus damage for swords and archery, carry extra weight, and regenerate magika 60% faster.

I'm now able to run around and kick everything's ass, it's crazy. That Azura's Star level I complained about was insane, I retried it and took out every one of the mages with two bow hits, then took out the main dude with the bow in one hit ... oh and selling the enchanted daggers I'd made netted me over 20,000 gold coins ...

Last edited:
Thank you both for the info. :)

@LTFC, that might appear as a dumb question, but where could I look at the character choices and abilities of which you're speaking? Is it in-game or I don't know, some other source?

Also, one more question, what would you recommend playing with? Mouse and keyboard or Xbox 360 Controller for Windows? Thanks again!

I used both. Controller for traveling and mouse/keyboard for combat. The only problem is that the game disables your mouse/keyboard when the controller is turned on, so anytime I wanted to stop using the controller I had to turn it off (by removing the batteries which is easy to do with the 360 controller, it only takes half a second to do and then another half a second to turn the controller back on when you need it).

On the xbox controller you press button B to bring up the quick menu where you can choose your magic, the map, your inventory and also your skills. Press 'B', push up to select skills, and every time your character levels up you'll be able to increase either magic, health or stamina plus select a skill perk from the skills tree in the same menu. If you want to save the skill perks for later then you don't have to choose to spend each perk straight away.

Back
Top Bottom