The adaptive offline Copa América 2015 challenge

@Lami:

Watched a few of your vids!
I like the cam setting.
You raised the game speed a little right? Thought I read it somewhere that you did so cause of the input lag.
Maybe I´m wrong though.

Anyways, looks good.
Almost makes me wanna reinstall that game :P

Lami,

your ARG-COL. A match that looked realistic. A lot of midfield battle, which is not always the case (at least in my matches). And then that trench war was broken by some blitzkrieg attacks, with spectators at the edges of their seats. Nice goals too.

I don't think I have any more gameplay videos in queue. What's up? :)

Edit. Tried to get us a free copy from Konami for the prize of the next challenge, but at least my first effort failed. So maybe we'll just keep playing for fun.

Thanks James :) I actually forgot to link my Brasil vs Paraguay game!

How'd you want to get a free copy off them?

@Lami:

Watched a few of your vids!
I like the cam setting.
You raised the game speed a little right? Thought I read it somewhere that you did so cause of the input lag.
Maybe I´m wrong though.

Anyways, looks good.
Almost makes me wanna reinstall that game :P

Thanks! Yep I had to raise the gamespeed to +1. Tbh I just couldn't take the input lag anymore. This reminds me more of PS2 PES now. I also play manual pass, shooting and advanced through balls.

Do it! And join us for the next challenge ;)

How'd you want to get a free copy off them?

I thought that given some more visibility - which could be increased - we'd actually do some good PR for the game. These matches should demonstrate that even PES 2015 is a great game against the CPU if you take some time to learn.

I contacted someone "associated" with Konami, but he didn't have access to free copies. So that is as far as I'll go.

I also play manual pass, shooting and advanced through balls.

:ROCK:

Are there any changes you would like to suggest to challenge format if we are running another challenge after this?

If we'd have more participants we might even have a prize for the most entertaining performance. Like a copy of PES 2016. :) But if it's only 2-3 players... Let's think about it.
I have to say that playing against the Superstar AI is starting to get annoying, I would much rather play against the Top Player AI even if it would mean less points in the final score (although this really isn't important to me). I don't think a prize is necessary, the challenge should be about fun in the first place.

The result of the first semi-final means I have to play against Argentina again...
Match23_zpsfnxoaqpi.jpg

,----
| MATCH: CHI-PER
| DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SS
| MY TEAM: CHI
| RESULT: 4-2
| NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SW
`----

I agree with majuh ^ (the ^ is so necessary because it's not too obvious who majuh is...)

We can agree that in future challenges there are two possible upper limits for the difficulty level: TW and SW. It's up to the player himself to decide which.

As for the prize: I don't need one to keep playing. If we'd have one, it would be awarded for the most entertaining performance by voting.

,----
| MATCH: ARG-PAR
| MY TEAM: ARG
| RESULT: loss on penalties (0-0)
| NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TW
`----

In the real Copa, Argentina was clicking. Mine was at times too, but not well enough. Hit the post a couple of times. Didn't use Messi in any special way; probably should have. The entire team was basically in green condition. Paraguay countered dangerously a couple of times.

And another horrible scripting experience. They scored their first goal in 45+5' although only 1 minute of stoppage time was announced.
Match24_zpsq8xpaksb.jpg

,----
| MATCH: ARG-PAR
| DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SW
| MY TEAM: PAR
| RESULT: 2-0
| NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SS
`----

Opening post updated with info on third-place playoff and what many would consider to be the optimal final for this COPA.

Here is my entire PER-PAR match, in two parts. This was played on speed -1 with 20 min length. The 15 min recording time was not quite sufficient for the entire first half, but not much is missing.

I will upload the final next; that was played on speed 0 with 15 min length.

I compressed both videos to a size of approx. 1/5 of the original huge files. It naturally affects the quality of the vids, but overall I think the tradeoff is ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc19TQ0wpSE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjZLjP5fsf0

,----
| MATCH: PER-PAR
| DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TW
| MY TEAM: PAR
| RESULT: win 2-3
| NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SS
`----

Most of my matches are boring 0-1s, but this turned out to be something else. Not actually stellar defending; I think I became a bit complacent after the 0-2 goal.

And another horrible scripting experience. They scored their first goal in 45+5' although only 1 minute of stoppage time was announced.
Happened a lot of times also to me.
The stoppage time runs until it matches what has been declared (e.g. if the stoppage time is 1m it always lasts at least 1m) and then continues until the attacking team which has the ball when the stoppage time should end loses it.

At least, that's what I see on PC usually.
So yes, you conceded at 45'+5 but probably they had the ball from 45'+1 onwards (thing that is actually pretty possible since the CPU hardly does any mistake when passing).

-1? Isn't that slow?

I am. :)

But yesterday I decided to switch to speed 0, and the final is played with that.

The quality of the compressed vids is ok on my computer, but for some reason YouTube decides to limit their reso to 360p or 480p, depending on the device. Not good. So I am going to upload the final again in higher resolution, which is going to take some time.

Here are the two halves of my final. At the beginning of the match I am showing my starting eleven, with their condition; towards the end of the match I am showing the condition of the opposing team (you can see their condition if you go to man marking). The game plan hassle before that is the selection of a new captain.

The match was played with speed 0 and length 15 min.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_AEJx4e2Wk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcA02lwBfD8

,----
| MATCH: CHI-ARG
| MY TEAM: ARG
| RESULT: win 1-2
`----

I actually played this match 2.5 times. On the first take it was 1-1 at half time, but I messed up saving the video by accidentally double pressing the share-button; restart. The second take is what you see above.

My attacking was relatively anemic in that second take. You can see from the video that, especially in the first half, I am not looking for open space as I should; instead I am trying to "push it" through the defence. And that doesn't work against superstar. (The 0-2 goal, though, is my first ever successful use of the L1&R1 feint.) So I replayed the match. This time shots were 2-15 in my favour, but I lost the match 1-0 because Chile scored after an incredible hassle in my box at 80'.

Just goes to show how varying these matches can be.

This challenge has been a real joy to play and observe. *aLe's war stories, and sharing the videos have made this challenge what it is. Just playing and seeing the results is interesting, but you need to have some meat around the bare results to make it tangible. You might have already noticed it, but I particularly enjoy watching a video without knowing the result. A small-scale thriller story.

I have learned so much during this challenge, in particular about defending. (Attacking is equally interesting, but I want to have a solid defensive basis before I start focusing on offense.) It would have taken me a very long time to figure out some defensive approaches and techniques had I not seen you guys using them. I played a lot of PES yesterday, and one of the matches was against Barcelona away in La Liga. I lost the match 2-1, but Barcelona still had only 8 shots. Such a result in an away league match against such a formidable opponent would not have been possible before this challenge.

Now I will start writing up the specs for the next challenge. We will try to keep ourselves occupied at least until the release of PES 2016 demo.

Happened a lot of times also to me.
The stoppage time runs until it matches what has been declared (e.g. if the stoppage time is 1m it always lasts at least 1m) and then continues until the attacking team which has the ball when the stoppage time should end loses it.

At least, that's what I see on PC usually.
So yes, you conceded at 45'+5 but probably they had the ball from 45'+1 onwards (thing that is actually pretty possible since the CPU hardly does any mistake when passing).
Yes, but I actually managed to push them back to the halfway line. In earlier games in the PES series the referees simply blew the final whistle then.

So I have to play against Argentina for the sixth time...
Match25_zpsxca3lvft.jpg

,----
| MATCH: PER-PAR
| MY TEAM: PER
| RESULT: 2-1
`----

Guys,

we have at least three choices for the next challenge.

1. replay and finish Euro 2016 qualifiers (EQ); we will naturally play a Euro 2016 challenge in PES 2016 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_qualifying
  2. replay 2015 Africa Cup of Nations (AFN) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Africa_Cup_of_Nations
  3. replay 2014 World Cup (WC).

Vanilla PES 2015 is missing 5 out of the 16 nations in AFN. It is probably (?) missing some nations in EQ and WC as well, and is likely to have players that were not taking part of WC (and not have some that were).

Edit. I was also thinking about the 2015 Gold Cup, but I think too many teams are missing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_CONCACAF_Gold_Cup

Opinions?

Last edited:
Guys,

we have at least three choices for the next challenge.

1. replay and finish Euro 2016 qualifiers (EQ); we will naturally play a Euro 2016 challenge in PES 2016 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_qualifying
  2. replay 2015 Africa Cup of Nations (AFN) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Africa_Cup_of_Nations
  3. replay 2014 World Cup (WC).

Vanilla PES 2015 is missing 5 out of the 16 nations in AFN. It is probably (?) missing some nations in EQ and WC as well, and is likely to have players that were not taking part of WC (and not have some that were).

Edit. I was also thinking about the 2015 Gold Cup, but I think too many teams are missing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_CONCACAF_Gold_Cup

Opinions?
I'll take a break, I'm a bit tired of the game right now. But if you want to play another challenge, there are 34/54 EQ nations and 6/12 Gold Cup nations ingame. The World Cup teams are all there.

My campaign has come to a good end:
Match26_zpsjnhm6oiv.jpg

,----
| MATCH: CHI-ARG
| DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SW
| MY TEAM: CHI
| RESULT: 2-1
`----

majuh,

great result, congrats!

Taking part in these challenges is a bit of work. Not only playing, but reporting as well, and even more so if you upload some vids.

I will be up for one if there are other interested players. Otherwise I'll continue the Premier league I began yesterday - the only top level league I have not played in the game yet.

Thanks for joining us and sharing some of your gameplay! Like I have already said: I learned a lot from you.

Count me in if you're doing another challenge...
Too bad I'm on holiday right now, otherwise I would have happily re-played the Copa América one in the meantime :)

*aLe,

I came up with a completely new type of challenge a few minutes ago. I will write the specs and post them here in the near future.

Have a nice holiday.

Hi guys, sorry I haven't played the semis and final yet. Been so busy so hopefully I'll be able to play them soon. Sorry for the delay!

Back
Top Bottom