Souness SACKED at Newcastle

Shit manager, no really he is a shite manager who only seems to be able to spend vast amounts of money on shit players.

Mr Sheppard really needs to get it right this time around or Newcastle may end up like Leeds.

I don't claim to have a massive footballing knowledge, so flame me all you like as I may or may not be totally wrong, but... Am I the only one who thinks it's all a bit unfair? Souness has proven he is an excellent manager with Blackburn (at his time there I would have easily compared him to Curbishly and Allardyce who are supposedly England managers in the making), and he made some great signings for Newcastle, Michael Owen being the most famous. They're going through an injury crisis so obviously they're not going to win every game, I think people blame the manager far too quickly. Shearer could have scored an own goal and it would have been Souness who got the stick. If the team I support said "Graeme Souness or some other manager who hasn't managed for a good few years" I'd say Souness in an instant. I can't imagine a better manager for Newcastle to have at the moment.

Or am I just totally, totally wrong?

Glad he's gone, Newcastle are a team I like but Souness is a penis. Maybe now they'll get someone decent in, Martin O'Neill perhaps? Freddie should go himself if he doesn't get it right this time.

Jack, think you're wrong here bud ;).

Last season was Newcastle's worst ever EPL finish, and he's spent over £50m yet still has the temerity to blame all his side's failures on injury. West Ham and Man City haven't spent that amount have they? With the squad he has, he should be challenging for the CL positions!

He's a shit manager anyway, his record is poor?

Last edited:
Great news. I just changed my sig before I heard the news. I fell sorry for him in a way because we've had so many injuries, but he still had players like Solano, Emre, Parker & Luque, but nobody looked like they wanted to be on the pitch. He wasn't getting anyone motivated. During last night's game, City were 3-0 up and Stuart Pearce was still shouting orders at them, while Souness was sat on his arse doing nothing!

Oh man i really enjoyed newcastle lose. I was hoping they kepr him in charge until they got relegated lol.

Souness is a joke, he doesnt know any good tactics, relys too heavily on excuses and lets shearer run the club. I remember when he first signed owen, all the geordies were acting like their season was gonna turn around. Ah the looks on their faces now are priceless.

ToonArmy said:
During last night's game, City were 3-0 up and Stuart Pearce was still shouting orders at them, while Souness was sat on his arse doing nothing!
Eriksson's the same though, and he has an excellent record with England. A lot of managers aren't like that, you can motivate a team without screaming in their ears.

Having said that, an old Tranmere manager (John Aldridge) seemed to get some giant-killings in the FA Cup by screaming at them and getting them up for it, which is what got the crowd up for it... But then he did get them relegated. I'd rather the manager was silent than a walking hairdryer who gets you relegated.

He hasn't got any tactical knowledge either. Against City, we were getting battered down our right side because we had no natural right sided midfielder there, yet Solano was sitting on the bench. And I can't believe that he insisted on playing Ameobi on the left wing so many times!

Jack Bauer said:
I can't imagine a better manager for Newcastle to have at the moment.
BBC SPORT said:
Newcastle boss Graeme Souness has been sacked and temporarily replaced by Glenn Roeder and Alan Shearer for the match against Portsmouth.
I stand corrected!!! :lmao:

Souness should take boumsong with him, cant believe newcastle paid 8milllion for a clown who cant defend.

Well Glen Roeder, a guy with experience of taking a club down is taking over with Shearer as his assistant. This should be good, expect more tears and suffering.

Alucard said:
Souness should take boumsong with him, cant believe newcastle paid 8milllion for a clown who cant defend.
Yeah but look who the £8m went to, he had no problem handing that over. He did the same at Blackburn with Barry Ferguson, something like £6m he paid.

Yeah there are rumours escalating he will return to scotland. Since he cant show his face again in england, rangers are his best bet to take him back

I reckon it is the right choice in the end, Souness seems to be tactically inept. Last season though they needed a centre half, and Boumdong was the only one for sale, they were held to ransom, he came in and done a job, but they should of shifted him on, and got 2-3 in during the summer, sure they needed another centre forward to help Shearer, but the team is so unbalanced, he sold Aaron Hughes for next to nothing and let Andy O'Brien go too, both decent professionals, esp Hughes who I feel has had a good season at Villa.

Freddie Sheppard aint got a clue what to do, the man has spent soo much money up there, buying shares and players that he has gone painted himself into a corner, I bet he wishes some Russian Oil Millionaire would come along. I really dont know who would want the job, O'Neill wouldnt want it I reckon, he's set on United I think, and until thats becomes available he wont be back, and also his wife is still ill. Freddie will want a big name, but he would be better off getting Colchester, Brentford or Watfords boss, all them teams are doing better than expected. Steve Coppell would be ideal I think too, but I doubt he would want it.

When you look at the job it seems abit of a poisoned chalice, anyone who comes in is going to be keeping the seat warm till Shearer says he wants it permenatly I think. Not a great way to feel about job security. George Burley would probably of done a decent job here too, but he's been snapped up by Southampton. Mark Hughes would also whip this team into shape I reckon. Sam Allyerdyce will be too busy thinking he's the next England boss.

Thank god! finally he's gone. That bloke is the worst manager in a long time. No man management skills whatsoever.
If anyone stood up to him they were out within a month or two....craig bellamy being the most recent and obvious.
I think he has built a good squad at newcastle, but doesnt know how to use it....except for the defence......two of the worst centre backs playing the game at the moment, neither has an f'in clue when it comes to defending.

Look at the midfield and forwards, when all are fit this is a scary line up...

my choice of how to play the newcastle attack

---shearer-------owen--------
luque------------------------
---------------------solano--
-------emre------------------
-------------parker----------

now i think that is a very good forward line.

It'll be a long time before the team is sorted out. By the time Shearer drives out all the players he doesn't like (or they don't like him) it'll cost the club another fortune. Shearer - while no-one can argue about his scoring record has stirred the sh**e ever since Keegan went. They need to rebuild and if Shearer wants to become a manager or a coach - let him learn at a little club like all the decent managers have done.

noise said:
Thank god! finally he's gone. That bloke is the worst manager in a long time. No man management skills whatsoever.
If anyone stood up to him they were out within a month or two....craig bellamy being the most recent and obvious.
I think he has built a good squad at newcastle, but doesnt know how to use it....except for the defence......two of the worst centre backs playing the game at the moment, neither has an f'in clue when it comes to defending.

Look at the midfield and forwards, when all are fit this is a scary line up...

Dyer is coming back to fitness aswell and could make a return against Portsmouth on the weekend. We need 2 new defenders, another centre back and a left back, because Babayaro is shit. Boumsong is a good player but needs the right coaching and the right players with him. We have both Ramage and S.Taylor who both look like good prospects for the future. The attack looks very strong, and when you think that Souness had all of them players above available last night (except Owen), it just shows that he couldn't motivate them.

Last edited:
ToonArmy said:
The attack looks very strong, and when you think that Souness had all of them players above available last night (except Owen), it just shows that he couldn't motivate them.

That says it all really. Newcastle's squad is better than 2/3 of the premiership IMO. Ramage and Taylor are good yound players, but Newc def need an experienced CB. Luque doesn't really look interested, prob best to sell him or get a spanish coach to get the best out of him. Emre and Parker are top notch for me, just need the right man to put all the pieces together.

Joystick said:
That says it all really. Newcastle's squad is better than 2/3 of the premiership IMO. Ramage and Taylor are good yound players, but Newc def need an experienced CB. Luque doesn't really look interested, prob best to sell him or get a spanish coach to get the best out of him. Emre and Parker are top notch for me, just need the right man to put all the pieces together.

I agree. Newcastle are a top five team. But I still feel sorry for Souness. So many injuries. They should of bought Mexes rarther than Boumsong though, he's been a shambles.

Apart from lacking a striker to take over from Shearer, who isn't looking as effective as he once was, they just need to fix the defence.

It seems that quite a lot of people "don't like" (i.e. hate) Newcastle United...is there any particulary reason...well i quite like them.

A couple of years ago they played CL football with a rather young team and they seemed the team of the future.
I'm not sure if sacking Robson was the right thing to do...
Newcastle seems to have a pendant for players with difficult caracters: Dyer, Bellamy, Bramble and the mother of all idiots Bowyer (get rid of him, if needed just pay him but don't let him come near your training field or stadium.
If you look at the players they have at the moment (Solano, Luque, Emre, Parker, Dyer, Owen) they could be figthing for a CL place but they are mediocre at best...so one has to agree that Souness has failed.
I'm not sure but i don't think it's good thing that Shearer is in the technical staff...

Is anyone out there genuinely shocked by this though? I am just amazed it took them this long to kick him out the door

Big Sam now being linked with the job as he is with every job going

oooh, and I like Newcastle. Great fans, great stadium, great city, and some of my fav players in there too. They used to play exciting football and had some good nights in the CL under robson

noise said:

Providing they can all stay fit, which will never happen. :lol:

I feel very sorry for Souness.
The next manager will come in until the end of the seasson it wont matter if he loses and wins a few but then next season he will have a lot of players back from injury that souness didnt have available and he will be seen as a genius, even tho souness could do the same job.
Souness was building a squad he never got a chance to use properly.

About damn time! Just surprised it took them THIS long!!

And trust me I'm all for supporting managers and not blaming everything on the coach as soon as things go bad as I see people and media do it way too often to the poor folks even when things aren't their fault.

But the fact that Newcastle has been shit now for a very long time and he keeps blaming everything on "Injuries" which to be honest they've been very unlucky with but also I can name many other teams who had the same bad luck in injuries in past season or so and yet they'ce over-achieved instead of badly under-achieving!

It's like ToonArmy said, the players just didn't even look INTERESTED in being on pitch in match against Man City. It's like they all know they've fucked up pretty bad and until a change comes.. things wont get any better maybe just worst...

When you look at their squad as well like "Noise" said, it's a pretty damn good one except the defensive line which is one of the worst in EPL. Babayaro is not the most expensive teenager he once was, has lost a lot of pace, flair and skill and never was a good defender either. Stephen Carr is decent but he's very injury prone. Then you have the dubious decision of selling one of Magpies' most consistent and pretty reliable player in past few seasons who also could fill the center back or right back position for basically nothing to Aston Villa, I'm talking about the man I rate a lot, Aaron Hughes.

O'Brien wasn't exactly good either but he was a decent player again to have at least on bench as CB so you dont play Robbie Elliot a left defender there when shit goes wrong and people get injured. He too left for nothing right? or on a free?

The squad is good, they just need the right manager. There's many talented players who've already shown their stuff like Parker and Emre despite whole team playing very bad at times and also some talented players like Luque who haven't shown ANYTHING yet! but will under the right manager when they can be motivated and feel like they're playing for a healthy and confident club. It's hard enough to make the adjustment to play in a different league with a different pace and especially when you're not as determined a person as Emre is (hence why Emre is doing way better than Luque) but it's even worst when the team you've come into who is supposed to be a rather big club is under-achieving hugely and the whole team is playing crap and fans hating you and on top of that you can't go a good few games without getting injured.

So I think a right manager can get this team performing like NUFC should and that's a top 6 finish.

Souness is one of the worst managers in EPL in my opinion and I said this even when he was in Blackburn. I don't know why some of you think he deserved his move to NUFC in first place. When I first heard about it, him being appointed I laughed because he hadn't done such a good job with Blackburn. Sure he had gotten them to Uefa cup in one season when they had David Dunn, Damien Duff and a lot of other talented players but the season after that again he showed he's a crap manager and Blackburn were at wrong end of table and in lot of trouble when he left for NUFC. So I was shocked at his appointment in first place and didn't rate him even then.. of course in his year or so here he proved it to me even more that he's a guy who

- has bad man management skills
- Can't motivate players or pull the team out when morale is low or pressure is high (just look at many NUFC matches this year, some of the players in team just dont look like they're bothered)

- Has no tactical knowledge

and a lot of other faults so it makes you wonder how lucky this guy must've been to manage such glorious teams or be managing in EPL at all!

I say at this point anybody would do a better job than what Souness was heading for and that's down... maybe even in relegation zone but if someone can get them even performing to 50% of the squad's potential, Newcastle will pull up a couple places and not be in any direct danger. Cuz Souness certainly didn't have them performing even 20% of their potential whether injuries or not.. he still had a lot of quality players to choose from and Man City and lot of other teams in other top leagues are doing much better with constant INJURIES (smaller squads) and less talented players.

My 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom