So I need help deciding what game to buy PES or FIFA

iluvnineties

Banned
18 April 2008
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
FC Porto
Let me just say that I WAS a long time KONAMI fan. I always bought WE from Play-Asia and played it on my modded PS2. Now that those days are over and Konami failed to deliver the same game on the next gen like they did on PS2 what is the current situation with PES2009. I played PES08 on PS3 and it was a really unpleasant, horrible experience while FIFA 08 looks and plays way more realistic than any other FIFA.

So this brings me to this question. For those of you that played both games FIFA 09 and PES 2009 which one is better ? FIFA 08 was already a huge hit with massive improvements esp. in the gameplay department while PES 08 took a step back and even MANY HARDCORE WE/PES fans swithced to playing FIFA 2008.

Did PES 09 improve at all or it's still the same like 08 ?

Thanks for the time.

Last year I chose FIFA 08 over PES 2008 (wasn't hard!), but I'm back with PES 2009 this year. Purely based on the demos really, PES 2009 was more fun. (Plus a decent Edit mode this time round).

In terms of gameplay both have some nice features, but just as many niggles. I can't see how you could fall madly in love with either one personally, they're both ok. Think what aspects are most important to you and make your choice. If you want realism (licenses, kits etc.) FIFAs the one for you. If you prefer something a bit more creative, I'd go with PES.

I can't see this thread turning into a mature and/or sensible discussion anytime soon as it would be the first one of its kind. You're better off checking out the demos and/or renting the games to see which game suits you best, I'd say.

Anyway, I'll leave this thread open to see how it goes. So please no fanboy wars in here or it'll be locked in the blink of an eye.

I think there is more than enough information on evoweb for anyone to research this question without the need for another thread which will almost certainly lead to flaming and bickering.

I can't see this thread turning into a mature and/or sensible discussion anytime soon as it would be the first one of its kind. You're better off checking out the demos and/or renting the games to see which game suits you best, I'd say.

Anyway, I'll leave this thread open to see how it goes. So please no fanboy wars in here or it'll be locked in the blink of an eye.
nice avater. fits well with your status here in evo web

If you want gameplay that is rewarding go for fifa.

Fifa on manual is the one of the best football games ever period.

The problem with PES it still feels like everything you do is assisted or hinderd by the CPU depending on the match situation, there is a lack of manual feel to the game.

The great thing about Fifa 09 is once you switch everything to manual and start passing the ball into space for your players to run onto a whole new dimension opens up. This takes sometime to get used to but it is worth the effort.

PES09 seems another solid game, but looks more like a reworking of pes6, and really hasnt moved on like fifa has in the last couple of years.

Konami need to get a similar way of playing the game manualy like fifa before it can become a true next Gen football game.

Everyone has a different opinion, they are two different games (and thank God, it would be stupid if they were both exactly the same).

Rent (or download the demo of) both before you buy one.

it isnt against the law to buy both you know

That what I plan on doing as both demo's seemed decent and I know that compared to most other games, I will be getting my money's worth as I will be playing each for a long time.

I had planned on getting Fifa for the PS3 and PES for the PC and editing it, but the PES demo on the PS3 played better than Fifa in my oppinion, but that could be down to me never playing Fifa and being used to PES

ok just played the pes09 demo after playing fifa, couldnt finish the game, PES just feels so ridged and scripted compared to fifa.

what didnt help was the computer scored a goal for me, basically it was a goal mouth scramble from a corner, came to henri who i wasnt in control of, who just poked it for a goal, god i hate that, and its not the first time its happened either.

For me now the basic pes game machanics are showing their age now, what was acceptble 3 or 4 years ago is no longer im afraid.

For those of you that replied thank you very much and let's all listen to Tom and not make this thread PES vs FIFA. A lot of members could benefit from this thread as well. It will help them decide what game to buy. I know EVO-WEB has some true PES/WE hardcore fans and some of them did abandon PES and WE simply because FIFA 08 was better than PES 08 and Konami were moving in a wrong direction.

I don't have to ask ANYONE how good or bad PES 2008 was. I bought it and wasted my hard earned money on it. Why would KONAMI make such a stupid move, go step back and ruin the beautiful gameplay is beyond me. WE and PES had the best gameplay on PS2 versions. I never cared about the graphics or licenses. Plenty of patches were available. Each year PES/WE would murder FIFA and the reason is simple: GAMEPLAY.

I started playing Konami footie games with International Superstar Soccer 64, 98 and my first WE was WE6:International and then you know the rest. PES 08 was the only game I felt like Konami screwed up the gameplay. So why would I buy PES 09 and waste $50 if the gameplay is bad. Noone would.

Anyways, thanks once again for helping me out.

what didnt help was the computer scored a goal for me, basically it was a goal mouth scramble from a corner, came to henri who i wasnt in control of, who just poked it for a goal, god i hate that, and its not the first time its happened either.

Change the controls to unnassisted then :CONFUSE:

yeah then the computer controls the player you pass it too until you change man, which is exactly what i dont want.

I actually understand what you're going through Iluvnineties. Its hard to change over to FIFA when you enjoyed PES. I couldn't imagine letting go of the ML the edit mode or just that PES feeling. BUT if you're like me you opted for PES because it was more realistic and more of a simulation for the last 10 years and Seabass comes out talking about PES being less of a simulation than FIFA and the latter having the better game engine you really have to think long and hard.

Personally, I have opted to get PES on release day and FIFA later in the year.
P.S. to the dude that said get both, we are kind of heading towards a global recession. I reckon we need to tighten the belts a tad.

i just got the game and have to tell u go get pes cuz this year its the best game out ther e period.. much better than demo much better than 08 !!!!1

i just got the game and have to tell u go get pes cuz this year its the best game out ther e period.. much better than demo much better than 08 !!!!1

Its not its truely awful. same old gameplay. nothing new. feels more scripted and AI dictated than it ever has.

really disapointed was hopng they would actually evolve the gameplay this year, instead its the same, with the odd little tweak, very like a cross bewteen pes5 and 6. but not in a good way.

both demos were good, but in your case i think you should buy fifa 09 if you already think think the 08 version was great.

I didn't like fifa 08 version, first time that i really was surprised by fifa was with the euro edition (they again made some good steps forward). This year i still gonna get PES cuzz i tested fifa 09 for quiet some time with a mate and it still doesn't provide my exciting footballlmatches that PES is giving me. Altough both have their 'issues'.

Get J.League Winning Eleven 2008 Club Championship for PS2, it's cheaper and several orders of magnitude better than both those overhyped (and utterly mediocre) "next-gen" titles.

Last edited:
put it on semi assisted maybe?? it was like 'manual' in the previous versions....

no its different now, when you have it on manual you have to change man yourself even when your in possion of the ball, until you change man the cpu contorls the player recieving the ball.

my point is that at no point should the cpu have any control over your player with the ball. which in this version the cpu seems to do way to much for you, including finishing chances for you.

Back
Top Bottom