Scottish Premiership License

Living in the United States, I only started paying attention this past season thanks to ESPN+ and I've been very intrigued by the league play.

Interesting. I always wonder what appeal the league has outside of the UK as it's managed and marketed so poorly and it's not the easiest on the eye sometimes! But it's authentic and full of character.

I yearn for the day that the leaders of the game here realise that if you improve the pond the two big fish will be better off... It's in dire need of reform.

Interesting. I always wonder what appeal the league has outside of the UK as it's managed and marketed so poorly and it's not the easiest on the eye sometimes! But it's authentic and full of character.

I yearn for the day that the leaders of the game here realise that if you improve the pond the two big fish will be better off... It's in dire need of reform.
The deal with ESPN+ is a great start imo because the ESPN family of networks has Bundesligue as well. Honestly, the first game SPFL game I watched was because I woke up to early for the Dortmund game lol

@Flipper the Priest What changes would you make if you could?

First and foremost, it's "who". Structure of the SPFL needs completely overhauled. We have 42 teams with very different MOs, and change only comes about through democratic process. I'd take it down to 24, tops. Two leagues of 12.

And there needs to be at least one person fighting the league's corner in terms of promotion of the league. To stop things like this:

The people at the top sell the game short. It's almost as if - because of our noisy neighbours - the leaders of Scottish football think we're lucky to get any sort of deal with Sky or BT. It's pathetic.

Another example of the incompetence and complacency:

From four years ago but emblematic of problems that persist. Old fellas in blazers sitting round a table to get their lunch, watching the league sleepwalk. Seriously needs fresh blood.

The deal with ESPN+ is a great start imo because the ESPN family of networks has Bundesligue as well. Honestly, the first game SPFL game I watched was because I woke up to early for the Dortmund game lol

"Lucky" accident then! I understand the ESPN deal is great in the US. Read Derek Rae extol its virtues on Twitter recently, highlighting just how good it is especially compared to what we get in the UK.

It was the worst Scottish season in a while. Standard really low across the league and, in the end, the bad guys won!

@Flipper the Priest Would you make it that those 24 all have to be professional as does any team getting promotion to Div 2? How many are Pro now, Premier and Championship + a few others?

@Flipper the Priest Would you make it that those 24 all have to be professional as does any team getting promotion to Div 2? How many are Pro now, Premier and Championship + a few others?

Yeah I would make it that all sides in the SPFL have to be full-time. At last known count there were only 23. I just don't see how a league body can be governed effectively when you have full-time teams with eight-figure revenues and part-time teams with only a minute fraction of that sitting at the same table. Of course, being cut out of the SPFL would mean even less money for those teams, but a lot of their outgoings is overspending just to try to compete. Every team, living within their means, would find their level though.

Back
Top Bottom