PORTUGAL thread

Re: Portugal Thread - Aqui batem 10 milhões de corações.

I think Ronaldo wanted the glory but there might have been an element of doubt in his mind, he missed as the first taker in the 2008 CL Final and as the first taker against Bayern.

Ok I got ask this: wtf happened at the penalty shootout picks? Not only that mixup between Nani and Bruno Alves, but most importantly, why was Ronaldo the last???
Common sense would demand the best penalty takers to take them first. As a result, Portugal goes out without using their best penalty taker in the shootout. Not terribly bright now, is it?

maybe he wanted to close the shootout :P

He was penning it down shown on ESPN. Ramos/Nani took the best penalty Fabs was just nerve recking post to the opposite side net :JAY:

I want cry right now! we deserved more way more!
Luck isn't really what made it here it's the final minutes of the match Spain became more aggressive something players didn't expect at that point then took it to the Pens & that's it!
really great match i was up most of the time, it's just sad to see it end this way :(

Well done Portugal. Well done Paulo Bento.

Well done Moutinho and Coentrao.

Well done Rui Patricio who did very well even with penalties! All 5 Spain penalties were very good. He guessed them all except Ramos one right and nearly got it if they weren't so perfectly in corner.

Alves and Pepe were a ROCK during the game! The whole team played organized, as a unit as we expected and should be proud to go out to reigning champs on only penalties.

Almeida worked hard. Oliveira invisible.

Finally especial mention again for Fabio Coentrao!! :WORSHIP: What a f'n BEAST! Defends well, attacks well, NEVER runs out of gas, fights with everything he has. No wonder Benfica fans loved him so much and smart Real fans appreciate him.

Portugal could have won this one if Ronaldo had scored that goal when counterattacking, he had space, he got a good pass, all he had to do was to score it, but he didn't... Portugal loses.

What a pity, already imagined and wished Portugal vs Italy in the final.

That was wishful thinking though.

Spain and Germany are the two best teams in this tournament and were favourites to meet in the final all the way from the beginning.

That's still the most likely outcome.

Ronaldo could've scored that but Iniesta should've scored his chance which was even easier as he was almost at 6 yards box!

Fu#k
the always lucky shitty-taka won ..
I hope Germany fu#k them ..
it would be a big shame for football if such pussies won the title ..

I know you're frustrated, but no need to resort to that.

Calm down.

The penalty mix up was strange between Nani and Bruno Alves, you just knew he would fuck up having to go back.

Ronaldo probably had doubts and hes had better success with rapping up penalties. theirs no guarantee he would have scored if he took one so the whole 'madness Ronaldo didn't take one' doesn't really make that big a deal for me.

their are always turning points in shootouts Alves/Nani mix up was the one for me.

Definitely. I fully agree.

It sucks having to make that 'walk' twice to penalty spot. Where you're in your head and Alves who was superb throughout the game (how many headers did he win!? lol I lost count!) was nervous and you could tell he would miss.

Ronaldo not taking a penalty is not a big deal anyway as I thought him and Alves would be ones to miss if they took anyhow. I thought Moutinho would score his though and to give him and Xabi Alonso both credit, they weren't bad penalties. Just two very good saves!

Credit to Portugal, but in the end the best team won.
This is a shame for Moutinho who was by a mile the best man on the pitch. To me he is the best Portugese player of the tournament. He was immensen against Holland, Czech republic and even better yesterday.
Alves should have had 3 or 4 yellows and thus sent off (but Ramos might have been sent off too), but Miguel Veloso should have got a straight red for that tackle on Jordi Alba. Once again Ronaldo failed when it mattered. Although yesterday he played more as a team player.

The penalty mix up between Nani and Alves. Here is what happened (according to Euro 2012 daily podcast from the Guardian): Alves was so concentrated that he thought it was his turn. He was wrong and Nani reminded him of that. Of course it's easy to say afterwards, but Nani made the mistake to call him back...he should have let him go.

I love Spain, but Portugal really did well. Spain had big problems against them (Meireles was also outstanding) and i kind of feel sorry for Portugal (but not too much). In the end Spain deserved the win because they were great in the extra time. David Silva is the player i like most of this Spanish team, but yesterday things went better with Pedro on the field. He was fantastic (against physically knackered opponents?). Maybe Del Bosque should start the match with Pedro instead of Silva. Despite all the fantastic players it seems as if Del Bosque misses a jigsaw piece (Villa?). Fabregas on the bench, Mata never used, Llorente never used...

If Spain play Germany in the final, they will loose. If they play Italy, they will win.

Finally: congratulations Portugal for a fantastic tournament. You came very close. You should be proud of your team, the players and the coach (who did a very good job).

PS: so much negative things have been said about Pepe. Yesterday when the match finished, he stayed on the pitch and went congratulating the Spanish players (maybe only the Madrid players, but i'm not even sure about that). That is a very classy reaction. IMO he played a very good tournament. Yesterday he had a few reckless challenges, but his first foul in yesterday's match was only his second foul in the tournament until then. That is exceptionally good for CB. He deserves to be in the team of tournament (besides Hummels, who for me is the best player so far).

Guys can anyone translate what he is saying?
cWFHy.gif

I believe the spanish press said he was muttering "Injusticia, injusticia" or something along those lines.

Can't say I'm surprised; this has been his chorus for quite some time now when he loses.
Thing is I don't want to judge whether they deserved the win or not, whether the ref was neutral or against them - I watched the game with friends so I was paying only moderate attention - but Portugal seemed to be better in regular time, Spain in extra time. Portugal may have been tired by then, but it was clear that they were waiting for the penalties in extra time. You can't want something then yell out "injustice" when you get it, even if you don't win.

Portugal exited with their heads held high and although it's NO consolation, they should be content with this. At least for now. As what was "Portugal on a good day" matched "Spain on a modest/off day". That being considered, Spain is lucky not to have conceded.

Apparently he's saying injustice, but in Portuguese.

That's what I was thinking. And the mouth is moving like "injustica, injustica"
But Bitter Rivals said "Easy, it's not to easy!"...
Can some portuguese finally clear it out ?

That's what I was thinking. And the mouth is moving like "injustica, injustica"
But Bitter Rivals said "Easy, it's not to easy!"...
Can some portuguese finally clear it out ?

Ronaldo says "injustice" but em portuguese "Injustiça"

@VK: he's clearly saying "injustica, injustica" meaning "this is unfair, unfair!"

Good game. Congrats Spain. Germany is at the moment the best team in Europe. Better tactically. Italy will be a challenge, but would be a bigger upset than Portugal winning v Spain, if they reach the final. Germany will take the crown from the Spanish and begin a new reign.

LOL @ Coentrao.

Fabio Coentraooooooooo!! :D

He's the best!

Him and Moutinho were Portugal's best players in this tourney. Pepe, Alves and Ronaldo were good too but not as much as those two.

Back
Top Bottom