Poland VS Greece

Og God why?! First half was really good by Poland, but second half... Unfortunately in Euro goes not fanatics, but in Poland we call it picnic fans. In my opinion match was really good. Keep it doing Poland :) We waiting for Russia!

Salpi!
I just love him!

PS:Atmosphere is HORRIBLE,money is destroying football,passion and fans.
I mean Polish fans are 100 times clapping Poland,Poland?! Is that fuc*ing way to help your team in YOUR country to win match on EC?

Of course,fans/ultras are hooligans...
Greece fans are doing fine,but small number and lot of drumms :)

heeee you watch game in tv and you saying that the atmosphere was poor:CONFUSE:. You do not know Polish fans!

Polish fans were loud and great in my opinion.

I disagree that Samaras was poor. He did miss a couple half chances but let's face it, he's NEVER been a clinical finisher. The guy has GREAT technique though and he's always had that since his youth in Heerenveen and that combined with his height makes him a great candidate for holding up the ball. And he did do that very well today. He also had a couple slide tackles where he was defending from the FRONT as every team should. He usually plays more lax but today he wasn't lazy and gave his all. Like I said, missed his chances but I expected that and other than that his contribution was good.

Now about the game, everything went as predicted. I said it'd in a draw with a 1-1 likely.

Torosidis is the best Greek player as expected but on the left, the Non-greek guy Jose (He's the only one I'm not familiar with) had a poor game. Attacking wise, he didn't get forward at all and defensively, they got behind him often. All he managed to do was a couple fouls and a yellow card due to protesting. He's gonna have to up his game for next fixture.

Greece has a great defence but what's a great defence good for when you have a poor GK?! That was my question mark over Greece before the match and unfortunately for the Greek population, Chalkias didn't prove us wrong. He was shaky and was lucky to have conceded only one goal. He's 38 but doesn't experience confidence in his defenders. He shouldn't have been #1 goalie for Greeks and it was a surprise and they almost paid for it.

Up front, I was hoping Salpingidis would start along with Gekas and Samaras with Ninis in an attacking midfield role behind them. Fernando Santos went for Ninis on right wing and that meant Greece's attack was TOO SLOW! Ninis plays much better in central and that allows you to have some SPEED and agility in Salpingidis or the Fetzafidis on left wing (the Olympiakos youngster) if he comes on. And you could see as soon as Salpingidis came on, the game changed! He was MoM in one half! Played the perfect game! He must start next game now and Maniatis should be let go of so Katsouranis and Karagounis the two experienced internationals can play in middle with Ninis a little ahead of them in a central role. That would be the ideal Greek line up for me.

As for the injury to Avraam, I didn't mind at all as K. Papadopoulos is a star in the making anyway and one of the most CONFIDENT young men you'll ever see and a super athlete! Still a bit raw but this kid has what it takes to become one of the best. I think with him Greece are even stronger than with him on bench and I was surprised he didn't start, considering he's dealt with and marked Lewandowski many times in Bundesliga before in those heated Schalke vs. Dortmund derbies!

Polish fans were loud and great in my opinion.

I disagree that Samaras was poor. He did miss a couple half chances but let's face it, he's NEVER been a clinical finisher. The guy has GREAT technique though and he's always had that since his youth in Heerenveen and that combined with his height makes him a great candidate for holding up the ball. And he did do that very well today. He also had a couple slide tackles where he was defending from the FRONT as every team should. He usually plays more lax but today he wasn't lazy and gave his all. Like I said, missed his chances but I expected that and other than that his contribution was good.

Now about the game, everything went as predicted. I said it'd in a draw with a 1-1 likely.

Torosidis is the best Greek player as expected but on the left, the Non-greek guy Jose (He's the only one I'm not familiar with) had a poor game. Attacking wise, he didn't get forward at all and defensively, they got behind him often. All he managed to do was a couple fouls and a yellow card due to protesting. He's gonna have to up his game for next fixture.

Greece has a great defence but what's a great defence good for when you have a poor GK?! That was my question mark over Greece before the match and unfortunately for the Greek population, Chalkias didn't prove us wrong. He was shaky and was lucky to have conceded only one goal. He's 38 but doesn't experience confidence in his defenders. He shouldn't have been #1 goalie for Greeks and it was a surprise and they almost paid for it.

Up front, I was hoping Salpingidis would start along with Gekas and Samaras with Ninis in an attacking midfield role behind them. Fernando Santos went for Ninis on right wing and that meant Greece's attack was TOO SLOW! Ninis plays much better in central and that allows you to have some SPEED and agility in Salpingidis or the Fetzafidis on left wing (the Olympiakos youngster) if he comes on. And you could see as soon as Salpingidis came on, the game changed! He was MoM in one half! Played the perfect game! He must start next game now and Maniatis should be let go of so Katsouranis and Karagounis the two experienced internationals can play in middle with Ninis a little ahead of them in a central role. That would be the ideal Greek line up for me.

As for the injury to Avraam, I didn't mind at all as K. Papadopoulos is a star in the making anyway and one of the most CONFIDENT young men you'll ever see and a super athlete! Still a bit raw but this kid has what it takes to become one of the best. I think with him Greece are even stronger than with him on bench and I was surprised he didn't start, considering he's dealt with and marked Lewandowski many times in Bundesliga before in those heated Schalke vs. Dortmund derbies!

sorry mate, but holding up the ball is akin to trapping... if you cant do that basic skill as a winger or forward, you dont belong on the pitch. Now what seperates a player with basic skills and that next level, is finishing or contributing to a goal with a pass. Samaras was fucking awful when it came to the latter. On defense he was behind the play almost everytime...

Well you do know bro that he's not really a winger. He's a CF who's been converted to a winger because he sucks at finishing!

But while trapping the ball is a basic skill, his level of control and technique and even dribbling (though he's quite slow) is way above average. He has that little Zlatan thing about him in terms of technique, problem is, that's ALL he has.

I watched full 90 mins and overall I thought he did well. Even defensively, he was behind but tried very hard and tracked back which isn't something you see from many forward and they don't do it very well.

He did hold up the ball well, where 3-4 pressured him and yet he'd keep ball and then retain possession by laying it off to a team-mate. He didn't many any assist like passes but he really helped Greece have more possession and get a foothold in the game because the first 20 mins, they were under pressure and being run over. He did nothing good that would show up in 'highlights' tonight but a lot of other good things in middle of the pitch or on the sides which don't directly result in goals and the guy TRIED hard.

News: Lewandowski - best player of the opening match of Euro 2012.

Well, although I support him at this tournament, but I do not think he's the best player of the match, because in the second half, it was not to be seen on the field. In my opinion, the best player of the match should be recognized one of the players in Greece, though they know better. :ROLL:

Torosidis was best player actually. Salpangidis #2 (only 1 half) and Lewandowski #3.

Torosidis was best player actually. Salpangidis #2 (only 1 half) and Lewandowski #3.
Maybe, today it played very good, he performed many useful things, and rightfully could be called the best player of the match, but still, my vote for Salpangidis, so very much I liked him in this match.

Btw, Salpangidis came off the bench just on 46 minutes, that is, in the second half. ;)

Sorry to burst in here, but Poland were great in 1st half, terrible in 2nd after 60min mark.

Now, the moron who thought up the idea to play under CLOSED roof must be shot in the head. My guess is it was Platini who thought that one up.

There were voices of concern before the kick off that doing such thing will make players DEAD tired near 60-70 min mark.

Unfortunately there is lack of ventilation on National Stadium in Warsaw :/ (even UEFA, when doing stadia visitations noted that). The hot air and high humidity = terrible thing. The 58 thousand people in the crowd also made air more hot with body warmth ;).

Wouldn't say referee was on our side that much. If you have seen his record in La Liga, you would have known what to expect. It's the lad who has 70! sendings off in 150 games :lol:.

Anyways... Onto the next games! Can't dwell in the past, what happened, happened :D.

Last edited:
Samaras is anything but slow. Thought he did quite well today.

Refereee was at it though, terrible decisions.

But the sub changed it and played really well.

FD

Back
Top Bottom