PES 2020 VS FIFA 20 - Which one won the battle this year?

Which one won the footy battle this year?

• PES 2020

• FIFA 20

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm sorry but I think that gameplay as we intend it (looking and feeling like a proper football game) isn't coming back anytime soon.
Both PES and FIFA are "esports" now, and nobody involved in esports would like to see dull 0-0 matches played between teams struggling to avoid relegation which park the bus and play hoofball hoping to get something good from it.
They want fast paced action, skills, goals like there's no tomorrow... And that's what EA and Konami are willing to deliver.

I'm sorry but I think that gameplay as we intend it (looking and feeling like a proper football game) isn't coming back anytime soon.
Both PES and FIFA are "esports" now, and nobody involved in esports would like to see dull 0-0 matches played between teams struggling to avoid relegation which park the bus and play hoofball hoping to get something good from it.
They want fast paced action, skills, goals like there's no tomorrow... And that's what EA and Konami are willing to deliver.

True. But they should use some of the billions they're making to have different offline/online gameplay, there's just no excuse. The fact that EA literally disabled 90% of defensive & offensive AI just so online people would get to try their dream game where they get to control 11 players at the same time (and they don't even like it), and then had the gall to think that it's perfectly fine for the offline game against the AI as well... it's mind boggling.

But if you dig into the game files, they didn't forget to copy/clone all the gameplay stuff just so they could have different gameplay for Volta! Goes to show you how easy it is for them to have different gameplay. They just don't care. And why should they, youtubers keep on making videos, people keep on playing it because it's the new game.

Konami on the other hand, you just don't know if they don't care or if they're just incompetent (probably both), because their AI has been dreadful for years now. One year you only get ground crosses from the AI, the next it's only long balls to the striker and people are ecstatic because it seems different for a game or two. On some rare occasions you are blessed with more than 2 patterns of play and that's when it's considered a modern classic!

Last edited:
But if you dig into the game files, they didn't forget to copy/clone all the gameplay stuff just so they could have different gameplay for Volta! Goes to show you how easy it is for them to have different gameplay. They just don't care.
Fantastic point, I can't believe I've never even thought about that despite seeing the "Volta" branch in the Frostbite Editor all the time.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at EA. The code we can see is so deep - the things being calculated are on another level. Not just basics like accuracy, but stuff like the Magnus effect (too clever for me to understand fully, Google it) and even emotional reactions when a team-mate gives the ball away (or gets sent off) that impact their performance.

They invite guys like Operation Sports to pre-release events where a gameplay producer takes you through the realism they've added into the game, and how attributes make more difference than ever - they don't just say it, they show you in-game, and compare it to real-world clips.

They go OUT OF THEIR WAY to code realism - and to show off that realism.

Then they speed it up 20%, delete the AI that controls the defenders so it's all about the "skill-gap", "1-on-1 me brah", eSports, Fortnite-ball horseshit, and release it.

What happens there? Are the guys who code the physics and the AI okay with it? Is the GAMEPLAY PRODUCER okay with it? I mean, you'd think so, but... Why code the deepest football game in the world and then essentially disable half that code?

What happens there? Are the guys who code the physics and the AI okay with it? Is the GAMEPLAY PRODUCER okay with it? I mean, you'd think so, but... Why code the deepest football game in the world and then essentially disable half that code?

It's a very interesting question. The simplistic answer is that this is what you get when there's no real competition (or at least they think there isn't). But yeah why do they develop something more complex than what they actually release? No matter the answer it doesn't make sense. Maybe some people want their userbase to play the exact same thing because it makes it easier for anyone to then get into fut. That's the ultimate goal. That was the only reason the Journey was made. Get young people interested in football and then they'll switch to fut.

Realism? It's just a marketing term. No matter the genre people like to think they're good at something that's "realistic" and companies are quick to pretend their product aims for realism. The complexity behind the game design/code could be explained by 2 things: It's basically a single product developed non stop for decades and once upon a time it truly aimed for realism. The bits they decided to "turn off" weren't really developed in 5 months for fifa 20, it's just stuff slowly developed over the years.

Last edited:
The fact is these are two different games. But playing both, I'd have to say PES doesn't need gameplay mods to play a decent game. So I suppose out of the box, it has to be PES.

While I love this isolated video example, it still doesn't address how poorly PES implements the sprint/jog/immediate STOP animation. Once you see it, you can't unsee it. There is an immediate STOP once the run/jog animation has concluded. This is why it's so easy to complete passes and why it's so frustrating to try to control players in PES. The anti-momentum is actually working against the user and CPU.

While I love this isolated video example, it still doesn't address how poorly PES implements the sprint/jog/immediate STOP animation. Once you see it, you can't unsee it. There is an immediate STOP once the run/jog animation has concluded. This is why it's so easy to complete passes and why it's so frustrating to try to control players in PES. The anti-momentum is actually working against the user and CPU.

While i do want pes to have this analogue sensitive motion run, jog, walk. Current implementation of motion is good as long as you can feel the impact of changing direction and wrong-footing opponents. Immediate stop after concluding jogging is normal i guess..

You wouldn't want to see 22 players doing jogging/running then "has to walk" before concluding the motion.. or even on-the ball player does it all the time, That's going to be weird to see. In PES after running with ball just let go the analogue, and contextual slower dribbling animation in place is good, has the sense of "football player dribbling" to me, not "human with ball simulation". the issue is when immediate stop after sprinting happen.

I agree that PES isn't perfect (and never will be), but it is only comparison between these two games ... and IMO fifa is worst.

Neither game won or lost imo, simply because both games had things I liked and disliked. For me PES tries too hard to be a simulation and FIFA doesn’t try hard enough, so neither game gets my vote. EA and Konami need to stop this silly pissing competition and focus on making games fun for everyone not just their fan bases

∆ not turning this into a comparison post but fifa is the same, try FIFA 17 compared to FIFA 18 19 or 20..everything about how it plays is better ..AI approach and pressure , ball physics , fouls ..not sure why both series are going backwards using the same engines the only thing I can put it down to is as online has grown and become the focus the AI has got progressively worse..it must be a decision or they'd just leave the AI as is from the likes of 17 but theyve decided on both games to make it worse

That's an interesting point of view because i find in some aspects of FIFA the ai have somewhat improved whereas the ai in PES definitely hasn't.

Back
Top Bottom