PES 2020 VS FIFA 20 - Which one won the battle this year?

Which one won the footy battle this year?

• PES 2020

• FIFA 20

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chuny

-
11 December 2007
Just like last year (https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/pes-2019-vs-fifa-19-which-one-won-the-battle-this-year.80266/) right around the same time.

Now that we've pretty much reached the lifespan of each title and with rumours and news starting to surface about the future of these two games, I thought it'd be nice to have a final answer from the Evo-Webbers. A democratic solution, if you will...

Please vote away-
Simple, it's one or the other.
If you want to elaborate, please do so.

fifa-20-pc-ps4-xbox-one_328160.jpg

I know a lot of people that will be tempted to say "Neither. Both games disappointed". And that may very well be true, but I expect everyone to pick a side for the sake of this thread.

I really can't vote.

FIFA is football on skates. PES is robot football with huge tactical issues.

FIFA does so much - in terms of physics calculations, tactically, everything. But the basics are awful. PES does nothing BUT the basics.

If the next gen doesn't help us out I'm going to be so gutted.

A terrible year for footy games as an exclusive offline player.
If I have to pick one, with all its issues (and they are many), it is PES for me. I just can't stand the design direction FIFA has gone this year, with this new defending system, where only the selected player by the user is actively defending. I just can't swallow it. It is like they are giving the finger to offline players.
Also, I ended playing PES longer than FIFA even if I didn't play any of them for months now.
Just a waste of money.

Last edited:
I know a lot of people that will be tempted to say "Neither. Both games disappointed". And that may very well be true, but I expect everyone to pick a side for the sake of this thread.
PES with your turf mods undoubtly the best ever.

FIFA2020 - I haven't played it this year as nothing I've seen or read has tempted me. The last few have been terrible and this year's looks no better. The balls physics and skating players looks at least 10 years out of date.

PES2020 - the best bits are the best it's ever been, the worst bits (cheating in every way Konami could think of to compensate for inadequate AI, momentum script killing gameplay, terrible player awareness) are the worst I can remember.

So I'm voting for neither.

Pro Evo for me, but as a Master League only player it was hard work to like at first due to the horrendous team chemistry settings they implemented, once that’s past 80 the game opens up and is a good play, best it’s been since pes13 easily, with individuality finally being a thing again, I only really have the chance to play on weekends now but I have still put in 153 hours.

Fifa 20 I’ve played 34 hours but it was already on the down slope for me after the initial fantastic beta gameplay was scrapped for reasons you all know by now.

PES hands down, FIFAs player movement and ball physics are shocking. I bought them both and played FIFA for a few days when PES went a bit backwards in a mid patch bit DP 6 is superb again.

For the ,last few years

FIFA 16>PES 16
PES 17 > FIFA 17
FIFA 18 = PES 18
FIFA 19 = PES 19
PES 17>FIFA, 16, 17 ,18 and 19 PES 18 and PES 19
PES 20 latest patch > All of them

I can't see how they can even be considered footy games anymore, but anyway:
Watching paint dry > PES 20 > FIFA 20.
In that order. 😆

(edit: The depressing thought for me is that pes 20 is perhaps better/preferable this year, not because it's good, but because fifa has finally (?) hit rock bottom. And i'm talking about single player gameplay against the AI for both of course, not interested in anything else).

Last edited:
PES 2020 is not perfect, but it's the best football in current console generation, by far. Maybe before it was even better, idk. But the licensing was terrible back in the day. Now it's not really an issue - licensing is plentiful + there is still patching.

Fifa has been a rotting wasted corpse since 2016/17.

I can't see me voting, really. PES 2020 is probably better than FIFA 20 in terms of pure gameplay, while FIFA 20 has some interesting local co-op and multiplayer modes to be used during parties (a thing we did several times before the COVID-19 outbreak) but isn't appealing at all in terms of single-player experience...
As a single player diehard, I haven't played much of either this year, really, despite buying both of them. It's just that neither of them got me hooked enough.
I was hoping Volta would make FIFA 20 worth, but it didn't click for me so I kinda left it behind.

I keep going back to FIFA 14 (the one I'm still playing the most nowadays) and 16 (close second), to PES 2017 and to PES 6 with Amador EWF installed.

Apart from PES 6 (Amador is something "different", it can't be compared with current games), none of them is able to exactly deliver what I am looking for.
Each of those games I mentioned has its own strengths and its own downsides that make me think there's no current (or recent) game that I could fully embrace.

Well, it's just me getting old and grumpy perhaps.
I used to love the feeling I had in the late '90s, early 2000s with some games of that era, but those '90s and '00s games are a bit on the "old" side technically nowadays and re-playing them isn't the same anymore unfortunately.

FIFA has certain aspects that are incredible. The way the AI behaves, the runs players make, how they cover space. The animations continue to surprise with regards to how fitting they sometimes are in relation to their context. The defending is quite refined, you're defenders feel smart and capable and its possible to run someone of the ball because its a free entity that deflects of of feets in realistic ways. The ball physics, the shooting, oh my, just so much realism. It definately has a wow factor to it and arguably knows how to capture star players better then PES nowadays. So yea, it does a lot of things very well, and those things put PES to shame to be honest.

HOWEVER. When it comes to the basic feeling of having control of your players, PES still has the edge for me. Its mostly the dribbling in combination with supercancel that makes me feel impatient and homesick with FIFA after a few games, or a least i think, i cant really put my finger on it. Its also the consistency perhaps. FIFA can at one moment look so amazing and the next second something really weird or awkward happens, completely breaking the illusion.

Speaking of breaking the illusion, and admittedly i might be a bit of a purist here, but those thick bulky plastic shorts in FIFA are enough to wreck the experience for me to a pretty high degree. It pisses me of like nothing else. How - for the love of god - can you spend so much time making everything look so realistic its almost scary and then not fix those awkward looking shorts. Its rather mindblowing. Especially the dribbling animations looks horrendous because of it. The guy responsible must be a powerful senior no-one dares to critice. Since the first FIFA in 3D shorts are messed up so that might not even be far from the truth. If you are the guy and you happen to ready this; please stop it, you're pants are ruining things. Tone down those physics, tone down those dimensions, tone down your ego. I am sorry but somebody needs truth to be told and its you. Thanks.

Its a very difficult call but if you must compare the two then FIFA for me is the overall winner. The sheer ammount of animations and the way context is factored in, the AI, i could go on and on, its just a much better and complete 1 on 1 simulation.

PES however still has its charm and attraction. Its not as deep in many respects but does something very good and thats the feeling of control, almost like a fighting game. In comparising it has become the arcade game of the two if you would just focus on how its looks, how players act, the range of possibilities. At the same time, on a more abstract level, it still captures that feeling of playing football better and does it with animations and graphics that are suiting and consistently decent.

Yet i cant rate it higher at the moment because of the lack of progress and innovation. Its sad to look at the list of new features nowadays. Hopefully they will find the budget, time and Passion to make a real leap in the coming two year or two. Their readiness for next gen could well be decisive for the series. Maybe they still have some tricks up their sleeve to turn things around. Seabass where are you?

Last edited:
Pes after DP6 is a lot fun. Especially after Matt and Isureaper fixes. Everything 'looks' real and generally feels pretty real. The way moves play out, the patters, it's all pretty much spot on. But lacks tech. Real physics tech.

I have a real soft spot for fifa 20. Other fifa 08, 16 and 19 (all for about 2 months) I've always found fifa dull, repetitive and yep, that old chestnut, empty.

I really like 20. The scale of the tech behind it is astronomical. So many moving parts that cant quite interact smoothly with one another. Somehow I can get used to the weightless skatey players and ball physics blips because it looks (for the most part), sounds and plays so damn well. It feels premium. And anything can happen.
Its limitations are relatively limited attacking teammate AI compared to pes 20 DP6. Oh and an executive design branch who have decided football should look it was designed but 11 year old helium enthusiasts. Because then you can take their money.
But I feel protective of it. It's like a slightly wayward child who has a few screws loose but designs rockets at playtime. And only im allowed to yell at him.

So, Pes. Just.

Hello. My last FIFA game was 16. Couse of editing possibilities since 2017 I only buy PES games. Each year they are better and better. Since PES 2018 I would say I love this game again like in old times of PES 6 which also was amaizing. PES 2019... and now PES 2020 are even better. I vote for PES :).

[QUOTE = "Chuny, publicación: 3515618, miembro: 179984"]
Conozco a muchas personas que se verán tentadas a decir "Ninguno. Ambos juegos decepcionaron". Y eso puede muy bien ser cierto, pero espero que todos elijan un lado por este hilo.
[/CITAR]
Con tu mod FIFA se ve increible!!!

Pes after DP6 is a lot fun. Especially after Matt and Isureaper fixes. Everything 'looks' real and generally feels pretty real. The way moves play out, the patters, it's all pretty much spot on. But lacks tech. Real physics tech.

I have a real soft spot for fifa 20. Other fifa 08, 16 and 19 (all for about 2 months) I've always found fifa dull, repetitive and yep, that old chestnut, empty.

I really like 20. The scale of the tech behind it is astronomical. So many moving parts that cant quite interact smoothly with one another. Somehow I can get used to the weightless skatey players and ball physics blips because it looks (for the most part), sounds and plays so damn well. It feels premium. And anything can happen.
Its limitations are relatively limited attacking teammate AI compared to pes 20 DP6. Oh and an executive design branch who have decided football should look it was designed but 11 year old helium enthusiasts. Because then you can take their money.
But I feel protective of it. It's like a slightly wayward child who has a few screws loose but designs rockets at playtime. And only im allowed to yell at him.

So, Pes. Just.
FIFA would be class if it wasnt for the 2 points - ball physics and player weight - sometime with the ball i wonder if there are invidible bricks on the pitch it just bounces up for no reason and then with the odd clearance the ball drops like a stone

[QUOTE = "Chuny, publicación: 3515618, miembro: 179984"]
Conozco a muchas personas que se verán tentadas a decir "Ninguno. Ambos juegos decepcionaron". Y eso puede muy bien ser cierto, pero espero que todos elijan un lado por este hilo.
[/CITAR]
Con tu mod FIFA se ve increible!!!

Thank you but please keep it in English! :D

FIFA would be class if it wasnt for the 2 points - ball physics and player weight - sometime with the ball i wonder if there are invidible bricks on the pitch it just bounces up for no reason and then with the odd clearance the ball drops like a stone

Play fifa for more than an hour with Matt's sliders and your mind adjusts.
When I first tried fifa 20 it was so light I hated it. Its become heavier I think and I've adjusted.
I'm okay with ball physics. I know that bobble you're talking about but it's an innocuous thing to get caught up on in my view because the rest of the physics are just superlative.

I know you're a pes fan. I am too always have been and honestly have never really understood how people think fifa has played like football. For so long the play has so little variety in the way players moved, it was rigid and one-dimensional.

But with the latest patch and Matt's sliders, I could see it as the best game since pes 5. Only reason it's in the air is because I only have time for one 20 min match every three days.

I still miss pes's weight and animations in terms of their look. But I cannot ever, ever remember a fifa that has the kind of busyness and AI movement from both your teammates and the CPU that this fifa currently has. I have never seen a game play out so close to what I see on tv (except for the ridiculous animations and sliding).

I honestly think its extraordinary. Which is so odd because so many fifa players dislike it this year!
Also interesting to note that not-Greg over at peschronicles is just infatuated with the game right now...

Get it on broadcast angle. Play as a top team vs man city away (man city press which creates a lot of movement all over the pitch from your own players) with Matt's sliders and give it a few hours. If it doesnt click after that, then it's still not meeting your expectations, which are of course different for everyone.

I just cant cope anymore with pes's limited ball physics and the lack of freedom in how the ball and players move...

Last edited:
I have a set that make it playable but operation sports one's are too lethargic for my tastes. The ai players don't engage enough and forwards are way too static with RF at 5. The issue I have is with the sliders I'm trying to emulate Pes flow and it's impossible with fifa

So i had a break from PES and went to FIFA for a week, tried all different slider sets from vanilla to operation sports to a combination of my own.

Some games i enjoyed but not the ones where player runs are killed. Now after a week i could argue that FIFA is technically better than PES, more animations, a few more variable outcomes but here's my conclusion and it sounds a bit daft - FIFAs "anything can happen moments" feel programmed/ feel stale. They just don't feel organic at all. Back to PES and within 2 games the flow is there , the organic randomness s back.

Ultimately when playing as Liverpool with PES i get the same feeling as watching Liverpool where as when playing FIFA as Liverpool i fee I'm playing a technically very good video game as Liverpool.

For me and to be honest none of the two games simulates real football, both games excel in different aspects of the game but also fail in some.

Below I will give my honest opinion about the two games especially after spending many hours playing both online and offline since launch.

I will focus on the most important aspects of the football game and if both games have managed to replicate it into their videogame by marking out of 10 each aspect so that we can have a clear idea on which game does offer the best "footballing experience" to date. I will also talk separately about modding for PC users and how it does help improving the gaming experience of both games.

Tactics, passing, shooting, dribbling, runs with and without the ball, players positioning, defending, skills, graphics, presentation and licensing are the aspects I believe are more important in modern footy video games.

TACTICS:

Forever has been one of konami's key features but didn't improve since pes2018, meanwhile EA with FIFA20 just built one of if not the best playable tactics footy game, by not only copying dynamic tactics from Pes but improving it, very effective and vast.
**Tactics Rating**
PES 2020: 8,5
Fifa 20: 9

PASSING:

When it comes to passing execution, PES is by far superior but the lack of variety makes it boring and repetitive in the long run which balances this aspect in favour of fifa specially in situations where in real life some players like Firmino, Reus, Alcantara, Isco... uses their flair and skills to open gaps. It's annoying that we have no control what so ever on when to use some of the flair passes animations in PES, they are executed randomly which take out the decision making aspect from the player to the hasard, where the IA decides for you.
I broke the rating to two major points in order to have a fair general mark on passing.
-Raw passing: (execution, basic)
Pes 2020: 10
Fifa 20: 7
-Variety of passing: (flair, animations, total control and decision)
PES 2020: 7
Fifa 20: 10
**Passing rating**
PES 2020: 8
Fifa 20: 8

SHOOTING:

Just like passing, the execution of the shoot and the weight of the ball in PES is a treat but the luck of animations just makes it boring and predictable, there are players in real life that can score screamers from akward situations like Rivaldo, Guedes, Beckham.. and that's because their body structure and ankles agility.
-Raw shooting:
PES 2020: 10
-Variety:
**Shooting rating**
PES 2020: 9

DRIBBLING:

Again, when it come to basic movements and if we judge each animation separately and not in sequence with another animations, PES will win because they perfected the basic, but that's not the case, the lack of transitional animations makes Pes players look like robots and conditions the smoothest of the gameplay, plus the inexistence of manual shielding of the ball makes dribbling in PES a gamble rather than control which most of the time results in frustration, and the new finesse dribbling system is a downgrade of the system used in pes2019. In the other hand fifa dribbling visually is conditioned to the type of screen and frame rates, it looks like ice-skating on 60hz as the frames are locked to 60fps and smoother and more realistic when played on 120hz screen with free fps, I will rate my experience on 120hz. Dribbling in fifa is also conditioned to the difficulty of IA when playing offline and the defending skills of the opponent online, it looks like fantasy football and favours speedy players when good player play against weak one, exemple: when playing divisions the matches results are usually high and easy to score solo goals by dribbling the whole team but the higher the division the more difficult the dribbling and less effective speedy players with less ball control and balance, just like in real life, give Neymar time and space to think and he will run through all team, but the Neymar who plays against teams like le havre o Nantes is not the same as the one who plays against Juve, Madrid o Liverpool because of the quality of the opponent.
I love the freedom in fifa where the gamer skills is what makes the difference, while in PES dribbling is a constant struggle between the gamer and himself, lack of freedom, random reaction of the players and hazardous ball shielding plus over powered defensive second player support (I win the ball back most of the time with the player I'm not controlling) just kill the game for gamers that prefer deferent type of football.
**Dribbling rating**

RUN WITHOUT THE BALL AND POSITIONING:

Konami favours defenders over strikers and short passing over long passing when it comes to one vs one and reaction, which explains the luck of strikers positioning and runs behind defenders (as if the strikers are stuck in the mud sometimes), Pes 2020 is an excellent one dimensional tikitaka football experience offered by konami, but real football is not just that, and fifa 20 this year managed to improve and balance attacking and defending skills, where strikers makes cutting small runs to lose the marker and the good defending system based on gamer defending skills allows the gamers to feel the need to be totally focus throughout the whole game, mistakes are really expensive in fifa 20. I use manual long passing and when combined with ability to manually ordering the player without the ball to make runs to the empty spaces (it's possible in PES too but less effective) and good individual instructions in tactics menu, all results to more dynamic, varied and realistic gameplay when playing FIFA20.
To me this is the aspect where fifa 20 shines over PES.
Rating:
PES 2020: 7
Fifa 20: 9,5

DEFENDING:

No need for explanation here, fifa kills Pes in this aspect. In PES defending and tackling is assisted where u don't really see or notice the impact of the gamer skill, the IA does most of the dirty job, the tackles made by supporting player are more effective than the player who has the cursor. In fifa 20 defending is a skill, you need to defend in zone and blocks which explain some of the unrealistic goals in YouTube where a good gamer go against a novice and starts abusing the skill moves to create content, because if they go against their match (same level) they won't be able to score goals like that nor perform the sequence of 10 skill moves in a row.
Defending rating:
Pes 2020: 6

SKILLS:

Both games offers good amount of skill moves, the difference is in the execution, more difficult and less responsive doesn't mean more realistic, konami prefers it that way. I prefer the approach of EA, easy and responsive to execute but hard to apply in game when playing high level against legendary IA or higher divisions online.
**Skills rating**

GRAPHICS:

PES 2020 doesn't fail in the basics, the level of details when it comes to partner teams stadiums and faces is second to none, players modelling and ball physic are better than fifa's, fifa though uses less gigas to create double the content!! Anyway without linking graphics to presentation PES wins here.
**Graphics rating**
PES 2020: 9,5

PRESENTATION:

I will go straight to the rating because it like day and night.
**Presentation rating**
PES 2020: 6

LICENSING:

Both games allow modding on PC, I don't play on consoles, so my opinion is based on what I'm experiencing as a PC gamer.
PES are lucky to have one of the most loyal and hardcore community in the industry, konami relays on the community to spread the OF and mods to cover up the luck of licenses, I will rate the community will and not PES2020 it self, because if not it unfairly affect a lot the overall rating giving that licensing is not a game breaker.
**Licensing rating**
Community of PES: 10

OVERALL RATING:

PES 2020: 8 (PC experience)

CONCLUSION:

Overall and after setting in mind that both games are not a real simulation of real football and giving that they are the only close experience we have to real football, I find that fifa 20 is closer to reality than Pes 2020 as a whole, yes PES is better when it comes to the simple things and basics but that's not enough, real football is a mixture of skills, speed, power, tactics, flair, bit of fantasy, tricks, focus, mistakes, atmosphere.. and not just passing and shooting.

Last edited:
Its first PES i truly enjoy since PES 6. FIFA needs to be rewitten on new engine, same poor game since 4 years, in motion is horrible

PES for me because of the mods available and Fifa is like playing football on rails, I used to be a Fifa fan boy too so have no hatred towards it. Just sadly we seem to be going backwards with the gameplay and my fear is because of the next gen on the horizon it will be all about the graphical improvements and how the players expressions are when they score a goal. Konami / EA give your heads a shake and go back to basics and get the gameplay spot on

Back
Top Bottom