PES 2019 Vs. 17, 18

TheWolf

Premiership
7 August 2003
Texas, USA
Manchester United
I know PES 2019 was a shitshow upon release until the patches fixed the majority of the glaring issues but the finished game is actually quite fun and in my opinion, it does some good things. The CPU AI lacks the intelligence of 21 but it’s closer for me as a complete game than 17 or 18 was.

For those who have played both to a decent degree, what is your opinion on PES 19?

Last edited:
I can only speak for the PC versions of the game, since it's what I play. I would say that, in terms of the mods and so on, PES 2021 is the superior game. Bear in mind that I'm not talking about the Vanilla versions of the game, but only the ones with modded gameplay (all of which I've found thanks to our friends here at evoweb).

The sheer variety of gameplays and different styles that you can find here in the forum are astonishing, and it's a pleasure to see all the different variations. Even though PES 2019 has a lot of good gameplay mods as well (for example, I'm using this one, (credit goes go @aninazare24) which in my opinion decreases the "scripting" and makes the gameplay more enjoyable, I think the fact that there are so many modded .exes for PES 2021 makes it so that you have more options in terms of modded gameplay. I use a lot of @Holland's and @Kolesnikcr7's .exes, and the best part is they are still constantly working on them!

Also, PES 2021's modding community has other nice mods that are not available for PES 2019 (for example, no regens mod, stadium small details, rough patches on the pitch, muddy kits, and so on), which, even if they are not complete game changers, are nice additions to the game. :TU:

Now, that aside.. There are a few other things I like about 2021 better..

- I like the manager screenshots and more showings of their personality. I'm a huge ML fanatic, it's pretty much 90% of what I play, so for example to see the manager reactions and other nice cut scenes (both on and off the pitch), makes it quite enjoyable and increases the immersion.

- I think that gameplay mods notwithstanding, PES 2021 has less "scripting" than PES 2019. I know there are people that doubt the existence of scripting/momentum, and that's cool everyone has their own perception of the game, but to me, taken as a basis, 2019 has the most pronounced scripting in the series. Thank goodness for the mods that IMO decrease it.

But then again, there's a few things I like about PES 2019 better:

- More midfield battles. The game's structure is designed as such, and PES 2021 seems a little bit "end to end" at times, like box-to-box football. Again, gameplay mods improve this, but at a base, I think PES 2019 does this a bit better.

- Dribbling is a bit more fluid like you mention, while you can still feel physicality. I also like the palette in PES 2019 a bit more, it feels like it is more atmospheric.

So anyway, I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons I forgot to mention. In conclusion though, I'd give modded PES 2021 the edge over 2019. My two cents! :TU:

Edit: @TheWolf BTW, here is a similar thread that might be interesting to you: https://evoweb.uk/threads/pes-2018-vs-2019-vs-2020-vs-2021.89362/ :)

Last edited:
2019 is a blast to play, mostly because it's just super responsive. Dribbling, tackling, collisions in general - I think "inertia" is the word I'm looking for. 2021 has a little too much of it for my liking.

Comparing the vanilla versions, I would take PES 2019 for sure. But I think 2021 with the best gameplay mods is a better game as millossobek said above. There are just so many out there that you can personalize the gameplay to whatever you prefer - make it faster or slower, change the ball physics to your liking, even change the AI in ways that fundamentally alter the flow of matches.

But then again, there's a few things I like about PES 2019 better:

- More midfield battles. The game's structure is designed as such, and PES 2021 seems a little bit "end to end" at times, like box-to-box football. Again, gameplay mods improve this, but at a base, I think PES 2019 does this a bit better.

- Dribbling is a bit more fluid like you mention, while you can still feel physicality. I also like the palette in PES 2019 a bit more, it feels like it is more atmospheric.

I think these two are spot-on, in terms of what 2019 does better. I use a combination of 2021 mods that do an incredible job addressing it: Tufkar's ESim DT files that change the player positions to compress the pitch and reintroduce midfield battles, and Alex's EXEs that I've found bring the dribbling and general responsiveness very close to 2019 levels.

Thank you for the feedback guys, I wish my laptop was powerful enough to entertain modding for 2021 but 2019 is the last version it runs smoothly at a decent resolution.

Last edited:
I downloaded PES 2019 and tried a couple friendlies, and to be honest, I found it very interesting, fresh and with a bit more freedom. I like the overall team positioning, the midfield gameplay, and the ball seems way more random than on PES 2021.
Gonna try a ML later and see how it goes.

Don t enjoy both, too rigid on vanilla gameplay on superstar, people who are saying that is less scripty than 2021 are wrong , 2021 ML is script fest in 2021, this is why im.waiting for stock on a key on cdkeys so that i mod it to holland s gameplay and remove the ai scripting

One of the biggest thing in PES 2019 is that it's more stats driven than PES 2021. In PES 2019, it's easy to beat smaller teams but very difficult to beat top teams. It's the opposite in PES 2021. Stats doesn't have that much impact in PES 2021.

Thank you for the feedback guys, I wish my laptop was powerful enough to entertain modding for 2021 but 2019 is the last version it runs smoothly at a decent resolution.

For those stuck with consoles only, outside of newer rosters, what is your reason for 2021 versus 2019?

What are your specs, out of curiosity? I would expect most laptops capable of running 2019 to handle 2021 too, never thought there was much of a difference between them graphically!

I've found pretty much every Fox Engine PES game extremely fiddly to run on laptops, and 2019 was probably the worst of the lot. You can usually sort it out by playing around with VSync / CPU Affinity and a bunch of crap I would know nothing about if not for this series.

I used to have some overheating issues with PES 2018 and 2019 (not with PES 2021, strangely enough), but messing around with Energy Settings (maximium processor state approximately 70%), plus using a program called Throttlestop solved it, and now all my PES are running quite smoothly. with no lagging or overheating. You can give it a try with your PES 2021 @TheWolf :TU:

i think we can all agree that two things that are better in pes 2019 are general responsiveness and players' inertia.

btw, has anyone tried that retro mod by andri i shared in yt clip above?

PES 2019 is a fantastic game with one fatal flaw; the AI cannot defend to save its life lol. It honestly the best what I liked from 2017 and 2021; unfortunately I never figured out how to make the AI improve its defensive positioning and awareness to the point where fixed cursor gameplay would be viable. I'll always have plenty nice things to say about 2019.

Overall, as a finished product though, as crap as I am at FUMA, PES21 is a joy and so fluid with a real challenge. PES19 is pretty easy to score using the same approach regardless of the difficulty level. The CPU gets faster but not smarter. Also, if you learn to break up their wide distribution coming into your final third, the CPU shits itself not being able to force a low cross :LMAO:
That right there is my exact experience with 2019; especially the comment on speed. I go up to SS thinking that might help the AI defensively and all it does is make the game feel like it's 1.5x speed or something. And I play on -2 gamespeed. Game had a lot of freedom on the ball and great responsiveness.

Is 2019 really as easy as I'm reading? I remember it feeling pretty tough at SS, at least for the few tens of hours I played. That's perhaps the first time I'm hearing it described as on the soft side in these years.

Right now playing pes 2021 friendlies with arrow on middle for me and arrows on red for the opponent, and it s the best balance tbh on SS, taking the edge off from the ai going into light speed precision lol also using next gen net physics lua01 for a much better net bahavior gives so much more satisfaction to scoring without overblowing the net movement

I never had the chance to try 17 but I've heard others say it had the best defensive ai similar to old pes in parts

There are a couple reasons for this. First is the overall player movement. In newer PES games, 2019 to 2021, Konami made player movement a bit more stiff, I assume, in an attempt to bring a bit more realism. In 2017, player movement was more.....'gamey' in a sense because players were so agile and reactive in that game compared to the newer games.

That agility, reaction time, and catch up speed meant that, especially on higher difficulties, the AI could make up for positioning mistakes much quicker than in new games where they were, for a lack of a better word, heavier and thus restricted in their movement.

And lastly, the AI was proactive and aggressive as all hell. The standard AI in PES 2017 could be more aggressive than derby match AI in 2021. The AI, in 2017, in general was more 'lifelike'; they tried tricks, they shot more frequently when you weren't expecting. It was actually good at creating chances to the point that, in BAL, I would sometimes just stop and watching my teammates create and score great goals amongst themselves with no input from me, the player. That's what you want from a singleplayer experience. As opposed to the more toned down passive variant in 2021.

As I've said before, 2019 is almost the best of both worlds; good aspects of both 2017 and 2021. But, unfortunately, player movement really negatively affected the AI defensively because it struggled to handle a proactive attacking AI that was akin to 2017.

appmanifest 770240.acf I need this file if anyone uploads it, please, I do not want to download PES19 again I have the files already
thanks

PES17 - best defence
PES18 - best GK animations + CL (without Kyiv stadium! :MAD:)
PES19 - best physics and best PES ever made. Not perfect, of course, but very enjoyable.

I've heard good things about Professionals Patch. I use Smoke Patch myself, I meant the mods that change the gameplay though. :) I like playing with a customized dt18 where I can play Professional difficulty in Master League quite well, increasing the difficulty a bit. (I find Top Player and Superstar too unbalanced and scripty in PES 2019) I think the GP mod is quite enjoyable, and playing in Professional largely solves this issue for me. :TU:

An observation about PES 2018: The defense in this edition is not necessarily bad IMO, it's clearly different. I find it much more similar to PES 2014, in the sense that tackling plays a less important role than positioning and interceptions. It is clearly hard to defend, I think it's because players on the whole don't close in as fast as in other editions. "Aggressive" defending is like "Conservative" in other editions, perhaps even moreso. But that doesn't make it a bad defensive system, it just takes a while getting used to, tactics change quite a bit. :TU:

I've heard good things about Professionals Patch. I use Smoke Patch myself, I meant the mods that change the gameplay though. :) I like playing with a customized dt18 where I can play Professional difficulty in Master League quite well, increasing the difficulty a bit. (I find Top Player and Superstar too unbalanced and scripty in PES 2019) I think the GP mod is quite enjoyable, and playing in Professional largely solves this issue for me. :TU:
@millossobek
Could you please give me the link for the game-play patch for PES2019?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom