Patrice Evra Info

Metallica

Whoosh... Bullshit!
20 August 2003
Pissed up in Sam Platt's
As I dont see any french league games, I dont know much about this player so could someone give me a low down on him please (PLF ;)) I think the only time ive seen him play was against Chelsea in the champs league and I dont remember how he played in that, how will he fit in at United ? etc

Also if anyone has the same info on Vidic that would be good too

Cheers

Lol Metallica I meant ask on my thread bro in editing section (just because I knew if I answered you alone in a lengthy reply in pm, I'd get asked same thing on the thread a few more times so I thought it'd be best if you ask there so I can give the answer publicly to avoid repeating) but I see you misunderstood and made a TOPIC about it in Football discussion :lol: ;)

Anyways it doesn't matter man ;)

Basicaly what I know about Evra is what I'm sure Thomas or any other Ligue 1 follower knows as well. For me he was the best left back in league or to be more precise at least the best ATTACKING left-back. Cuz it's hard sometimes to judge a great more defensive minded left-back and to say who is better him or the Roerto Carlos type? Surely more people prefer the attacking types which is why Brazlians for example prefer Cicinho more than Maicon or Belletti where I myself prefer Maicon who seems very balanced and attacks/defends almost equally as well and is more complete than Cicinho and let's face it a right defender or left defender these days NEEDS to be a good defender lol thats what his name is anyway, if he can get forward and join attack for ME that's a bonus.

Anyways sorry to get off topic a bit.

In short, Evra is what Don said. a VERY attacking left-back. His main position is DL but due to his attacking nature, he has in an occassion or two and WILL most likely play backup to left wingers as well if needed or as a Left wing-back.

He's very fast, especially his acceleration is quite amazing. Gets up and down the left wing very well, into box, delivers low dangerous crosses (the type I love where it just needs someone to tap it in), He's a descent crosser and he's not BAD at defending either. He's okay at it but he prefers to attack much more. Sometimes he even makes more overlapping runs and attacking runs down left wing than the team's Left winger :shock:

All in all a very good player and someone that in my opinion should've played LB for France for couple years now. I like Gallas a lot, liked him since he was in Marseille but he's not a natural LB but Evra is and a DAMN GOOD one at it. So why was Gallas a more regular?? I don't know I find it silly but I guess it's the same philosophy that meant Louis Saha barely would get a look in the team even if he was near top-scorer of EPL when he was in Fulham but right after joining Man Utd, he's actively be looked at and finally got some caps under his belt :roll: (Same reason with Malbranque really, if Malbranque had been a Pool/Man Utd/ARsenal player) he'd been picked many times by now I think for France at least 10 or so.. but he still has i think maybe 1 cap i'm not sure :/

For that reason I'm HAPPY he joined Man Utd. For me it's one less quality and exciting player in Ligue 1 :( but in another way, maybe this will mean he becomes more regular in French NT.

Also if the manger wanted a more Defensive-minded LB and that's why Gallas was ahead of Evra, then I still would've taken Abidal ahead of Gallas who is also been TURNED into a natural LB (started out as CB in Lille) and plays there when not injured and well again my opinion better than Gallas at the left-back spot cuz that is his real position now.

So for me if I were Raymond Domenech, my two real top choices for LB spot would be between Evra and Abidal and picking either one depending on what type I want for that match. Evra gets a bit too forward at times which can cause trouble if he gets caught up too far but overall I like all 3 players and well wish them and France the very best next year in WC ;)

Regarding Vidic, I think someone's else opinion should surely be more valuable than mine ;) as I've seen him only 3-4 times in SErbian NT and he looked PRETTY SOLID. I think he's not over-rated and probably a great player and will fit in to team well but i can't say it from my own brain well cuz unlike Evra I haven't seen him enough to be sure.. but I think he probably is good.

Take care and hope this helped.

Last edited:
p.s. In short this is what TOP teams need and Man U'd been lacking in recent years. Depth and I mean by that QUALITY depth.

When Heinze gets fit and you have Heinze and Evra fighting for LB spot MAYBE (cuz we dont know future maybe SAF will start playing Heinze in CB spot which he's also great at), but if those 2 let's say start battling for that LB spot, that looks real good on paper for anyone and is impresive for Man Utd to have two such high quality players fighting for ONE spot. Something Chelsea/Real/Valencia/AC Milan and other top teams have had a lot of in recent years but Man Utd not so much of, and now if the team is to become TOP again these 2 buys look great.

They dont look like January transfers for one thing. They are high profile, quality Int'l players that look more like Summer transfers ;)

So good for Man Utd! :thumbsup:

These 2 huge signings show a lot of ambition that I'm sure Man Utd fans wanted to see from board and manager.

lol well anyways those are my thoughts. I can't predict future to know whether he'll be a flop or a superstar as sometimes we have avg players moving to big clubs and performing awesome and sometimes great players coming and flopping.. so we can't be judge of that Metallica or how exactly he'll fit in (depends on so many factors like tactics, how he settles in country etc.) ;) but I do know his quality and those are my opinions pretty much summed up there.

I HOPE he does well, I like Patrice ;) and man when Heinze the legendary awesome Gabriel Heinze comes back, Man Utd will be awesome to watch just to see what the manager decides to do :)

Last edited:
Sounds great.Its really a bonus for us you know as we already have the best leftback in the EPL in Gaby Heinze and now we have the best leftback from Ligue 1.Splendid.We are officially secured in the defensive department.And now lets look at the midfield department.....hmmmm....

phrase said:
We are officially secured in the defensive department.And now lets look at the midfield department.....hmmmm....
:lol: I dont think Sir Alex will realise that until you literally whack him in the head with a hammer or something.

Peter Eyres said:
yep, said he ain't gonna buy anyone else. Man United with a half decent central midfield would be friggin awesome.

After the Blackburn game Fergie said he's looking at some other options and when asked if the January spendings over he said "you never know"

i find richardson does a good job at left back for the time being... i dont see the need for man utd to buy him... maybe inter milan needs him more

Hahahaha...the occasion might give "Tricky" Trev the upper hand but no way he will give Evra a roasting today or any other day...Trevor Sinclair,hes past it dude,accept it....hahaha,c'mon man...you must be kidding me.

BK_83 said:
i find richardson does a good job at left back for the time being... i dont see the need for man utd to buy him... maybe inter milan needs him more
No if Man Utd want to be a top team and consider themselves one they should have same quality depth that a team like Valencia enjoys. Not to mention most Man U fans think they are bigger than Valencia anyway, we won't get into that but here's the point.

Valencia has 2 great left wingers. Reguiero and Vicente. Both are awesome and probably can play in any other team's first team they want. Reguiero was already one of best left wingers in La Liga last year in Santander but was bought in summer.

Usually though Vicente is the first choice and unless he's being rested/unfit or injured, he gets to play. So againt Osasuna, Vicente started the match and unfortunately had to go off injured. So what happened? Nothing they lost a key player but they brought on a guy that is just as good with same type of quality. So he came in, played very well as expected and scored a goal as well.

Now this is just one example but this is the type of depth, Valencia, many Italian teams and Chelsea in England enjoy. While Man Utd if they want to show ambition and say they are one of hte biggest in world, they have to have same type of depth so no Kieran Richardson although one of my fav players (since my friend knew him personally), is not good enough. You have to get rid of mediocracy.

Richardson improved so much since loan move to West Brom and like many say he left as a boy and came back a Man but his defending is still too shady for a left-back and dangerous. Evra is about twice better than him going forward and also defending because he's already established, very good player so I think they did need him for time being since they're missing Heinze.

I'm not sure Inter needed him more. They alreayd have the experienced Favalli and also Wome both of whom are better than Richardson at this moment in time (we're not talking about potential cuz I think Richardson has amazing potential but on this day those 2 are both more solid than he is).

So Man Utd is taking good steps. If they want to win things now, they have to have good established players in their peak NOW not just buy youngsters for future like Arsenal's been doing. lol.. they sell the best DMF in world in his peak and expect 19 year olds to do as good as him even though they are way smaller (physique-wise) and now they're paying for it. Fabregas and Flamini are awesome youngsters but you can never sell a guy like Vieira and expect the mto fully be able to replace a legend like him. Now they bought Diaby who is also a very awesome prospect and can become like Sissokko who's been a great success so far but then again they're buying players for future and not at moment. Diaby has had something like 7 appearances altogether in Senior club of Auxurre anyway. Where as Man Utd now are taking right steps and have brought in 2 transfers that are really like "Summer transfers".

Two quality/well known players and both established and already good. Not one you're buying so they can become good one day.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all FOR buying talented youngsters with potential for future like when Man Utd bought C. Ronaldo at that young age or how Arsenal have Owuso-Abeyie for couple seasons now at very young age but I feel some clubs are OVERdoing this and this is what's causing them a bit of slip-up. They are getting too many players for FUTURE and not enough players who are already good enough to be in 1st team.

Man Utd has for example 2-3 avg/mediocre players in its FIRST team while some teams like Valencia have enough depth that even when a key first team player gets injured, their replacement for him isn't even avg guy. He's also top class but just had to sit on bench cuz you can fit 11 people in there.

Chelsea on other hand have a good healthy/QUALITY depth, best in England in recent years and thankfully now Man Utd and hopefully soon Arsenal and Liverpool will also start getting more quality depth.

Last edited:
BK_83 said:
Imagine if you had convinced Chelsea by saying that. :lol:

phrase said:
Hahahaha...the occasion might give "Tricky" Trev the upper hand but no way he will give Evra a roasting today or any other day...Trevor Sinclair,hes past it dude,accept it....hahaha,c'mon man...you must be kidding me.

So did you watch the match then phrase....?:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I did watch the match.The only time Sinclair got the upper hand on Evra was when he jumped blindly,but somehow the ball managed to hit the back of his head and landed on Vassell's path,thats it.Evra has got plenty of time to proove himself at United,Sinclair is just waiting for his time to hang up his boots at that players' retirement club of yours.

Ah so that why Taggert said i quote:-

"Maybe it was a bit of a gamble playing Patrice.

"I took him off because at 2-0 down I wanted to make sure we didn’t lose any more goals"

:)your right though theres always next year!

jamie_mack said:
:)your right though theres always next year!

thats right, we've already won at your new ground anyway, how about ending this 30 year dominance at Old Trafford....

I've gotta say aswell mate, I went to the game on saturday, and im fully aware of the attempts recently by siddy to stop their supporters singing Munich songs, a friend of mine also put an article in his siddy fanzine "chips'n'gravy" and I actually thought it would make a difference....

I should have known better......

It was a good gesture by most of the fanzines ect to try and get them to stop, but theres always a minority....!

And about that 30 years dominance at OT ill speak to Psycho and see what we can do ;)

Back to Evra, he didnt have the greatest of debuts did he, it was a bit harsh in starting him in this type of game but you could say the same about Citys Riera. I just feel it would have been a differant game if Brown would have played instead of Silvestre but Fergie got it wrong, everyone makes mistakes.

Im sure Evra will improve the more he plays for United

jamie_mack said:
And about that 30 years dominance at OT ill speak to Psycho and see what we can do ;)

We saw Pearcy crossing the car park on saturday before the game he signed one of my blue mates match programe, if had been keegan we would have give a load of stick but Pearcy is a top bloke...

Back
Top Bottom