No one thinks the demo is any good?!

I've already bought FIFA and will be buying Pro too. While I still feel PES is just about the better game it disappoints me when I look at the amount of progress FIFA has made in the last few years, PES used to be miles ahread but FIFA is right on it's tail now.

If some big improvements don't come next year I think it may actually be the year the unthinkable happens, FIFA overtakes PES.

I think, by the looks of it, current trend, Fifa will be better this year. The simple fact that so many PES veterans are actually playing Fifa and praising it sends a pretty convincing message!

People,

Having just had a think about where PES is at, I have come to a conclusion which actually somewhat disagrees with my earlier points.

I am now in agreement with the majority of people on this thread. Ok, the gameplay is an improvement over last years effort. Ok, its a solid playable game now. Ok, it has the champions league license. Despite all this, one thing is certain, and I cant see how anyone can disagree with this, PES2009 is not a next-gen game not by any stretch of the imagination.

I now realise what everyone is pissed off about with this years release and last years. There is simply no drastic change to the gameplay that can justify us having forked out hundreds of pounds on a bit of hardware, with seemingly 10s if not 100s of times the power of the PS2. This needs to change very soon.

As I noted above i am confident that the final code will be a lot smoother than this, but having said that I still stand by my opinion that it is more than playable as it is.

Stop playing it like you played 2008 (ie, holding the run button at all times) and start trying to construct attacks properly and you will appreciate it a lot more.

Can you explain what you think is wrong with it, you say:

Well I set it to "Top Player"... and I have not played 08 for more than 5 min last year, I did not care for it, so I'm not really going by that.

But my impressions were that the AI was not good. They bunched up a lot, and I found it very easy to do lots of things. It seemed to me that the AI was very slow to react on some of my attacks, and almost every corner I took I had a good shot at scoring by crossing to the short corner...

Those are my observations after about 10 games... Also the shots seem weak to me, like they don't have enough speed on them.

AI scored a FK on me with a nice curler in the top corner, but the shot just didn't look like it had enough pace on it to beat anyone... I think they need to improve that, it used to be much better.

The game also feels VERY stiff. This 8 way directional control has a very dated feel to it now a days. I didn't mention that as a main gripe because I expected it since I knew it was the old engine they were using, however I feel that after playing some FIFA and NHL Hockey that the stiffness is unforgivable at this point. It's time for Konami to give us a true NG engine.

Last edited:
As i have noted in the post before yours, I am beginning to get fed up with the game. The gameplay in fifa is so smooth and organic, the difference between the games could not be more stark, and frankly having carefully considered both, I know which I prefer, and its not pes.

Earlier in this thread I said:
... which ever way you look at it pro evolution has always been better when it comes to the action in the final third, ea has not yet hit the spot when it comes to their shooting system, and I feel pes will always be ahead in this department.

Now that ive played both demos again with a clear head, I would say that indeed fifa's shooting mechanics are much improved and they do offer some degree of control, compared to past installments. What surprised me is how Konami have really managed to eff the solid shooting system they had in the past, there are glimpses but as you say CapnKill the ball seems to be too floaty in almost all situations and especially when shooting. I just liked to tell myself that this was different to last years game but a more realistic representation of real football, but somehow I dont think that is entirely true.

My conclusion is that im probly gonna have to try the final code of both games and then come to a decision. Its gonna take something drastic to sway me in the direction of fifa, but i fear its not unlikely.

:CONF:

Last edited:
As i have noted in the post before yours, I am beginning to get fed up with the game. The gameplay in fifa is so smooth and organic, the difference between the games could not be more stark, and frankly having carefully considered both, I know which I prefer, and its not pes.

Earlier in this thread I said:

Now that ive played both demos again with a clear head, I would say that indeed fifa's shooting mechanics are much improved and they do offer some degree of control, compared to past installments. What surprised me is how Konami have really managed to eff the solid shooting system they had in the past, there are glimpses but as you say CapnKill the ball seems to be too floaty in almost all situations and especially when shooting. I just liked to tell myself that this was different to last years game but a more realistic representation of real football, but somehow I dont think that is entirely true.

My conclusion is that im probly gonna have to try the final code of both games and then come to a decision. Its gonna take something drastic to sway me in the direction of fifa, but i fear its not unlikely.

:CONF:

Yep, don't get me wrong, I want PES to be good! I really do.. but its just so stiff compared to today's titles, that I think we expect a bit more than just another upgrade. There's only so much you can do with an old engine... we didn't buy PS3s/360s to play PS2 games on them that's for sure.

I'll try the final build no doubt, but I certainly won't hold my breath.

For me, it's two thumbs up!

As time passes and more games I play more I like it!

I'm looking forward for the release date and the "Be a Legend" option!

I detected a flaw though: I was defending a penalty, the forward kicked the ball to the top left corner and I sent also my keeper (Casillas, btw) to the same direction. Casillas did not defend the penalty and he seemed like flying over the top bar :) !! Demo bug, for sure.

Regards.

I like the demo. It is much a WE/PES game than PES 2008. So, better one...
And the original game will be much better I guess..
I downloaded FIFA as well Yes, EA improved the game but PES 2009 demo is better than FIFA 09

People,

Having just had a think about where PES is at, I have come to a conclusion which actually somewhat disagrees with my earlier points.

I am now in agreement with the majority of people on this thread. Ok, the gameplay is an improvement over last years effort. Ok, its a solid playable game now. Ok, it has the champions league license. Despite all this, one thing is certain, and I cant see how anyone can disagree with this, PES2009 is not a next-gen game not by any stretch of the imagination.

I now realise what everyone is pissed off about with this years release and last years. There is simply no drastic change to the gameplay that can justify us having forked out hundreds of pounds on a bit of hardware, with seemingly 10s if not 100s of times the power of the PS2. This needs to change very soon.

What would you define as a next-gen game then ?

And you really should stop with this "everyone" nonsense, I'm not the only person that likes PES2009...

I gota admit.. when i 1st played the PES 2009 demo i was expecting more..!

And i read SOOOO many comments posted on this forum about how good FIFA 2009 was.. so i downloaded the demo!

Oh dear!? FIFA was HORRIBLE! I couldnt believe ppl actually thought it was better than PES 2009???

Yea.. the presentation is good and a few other pointless things.. but the gamplay was POOR!

So i went back to playing the PES 2009 demo and after a good few games i started to kinda like it!

Just thought id share my opinion on both games!

PEACE!

And you really should stop with this "everyone" nonsense, I'm not the only person that likes PES2009...

Lets start with true 360 control as opposed to 8 directions... and then just go from there.

for me when the new consoles were launched the pes series was one of the most anticipated series i was looking forward to.i expected much better animations, graphics, commentary, game engine,online and so on. it's all been a big let down for me and others. i feel strongly that this year should be the time for people who feel like this should finally vote with their wallets.

pes2009 plays a good game of football for a three year plus game engine but they have a cheek to place the 360/PS3 logos on this now.

i do wish for it to sell badly only for the hope it gives konami a kick up the arse and bring in outside help and not so they pack it in altogether.

how many people who work on games would like a chance to help develop a true next gen pro evolution soccer?

Try playing pro 2009 demo, then fifa 09 demo fifa is so slow.

I noticed that in pes 2009 when there is a player 1 on 1 against your keeper you can run out & slide tackle him.

Also tevez has scars on his neck, personally I think it's great fast gameplay & is much better than fifa 09.

I'm not a fifa hater I actually thought the demo was ok until I tried pes 2009, only thing bad about it was the sound of the ball but there is a variety of balls to choose from as in every pro so maybe different sounds on different balls,plus I think if the commentary was onit would'nt sound so bad.

Lets start with true 360 control as opposed to 8 directions... and then just go from there.

So, does FIFA 09 have true 360 degree control then? (Seriously - I really don't know.)

If PES did get true 360 control, it might solve the missplaced pass problems. :THINK:

Last edited:
This PES it seems to me has the edge over Fifa despite Fifa having all the licences pretty much. Why? The PES demo feels like a game of footy, whilst to me, Fifa still feels slow to react and doesn't have the "feel" still.

Have played the PES demo loads more than Fifa.

This PES it seems to me has the edge over Fifa despite Fifa having all the licences pretty much. Why? The PES demo feels like a game of footy, whilst to me, Fifa still feels slow to react and doesn't have the "feel" still.

Have played the PES demo loads more than Fifa.

Same here I much prefer it to FIFA.

I like pes 09, in my view it feels like pes 5 that has been tweeked for better game play, ball physics, and graphics, with a touch of fifa aslo.

my score 8.5/10 however I have only played the demo - can't wait for the full game.

What do i think next-gen is?

1. 360 degree control, how Konami masters this i dont know, ive always felt their solid gameplay came largely because of the lack of completely free control, which fifa offers without a superior gameplay experience.

2. Organic animations, either by implementation of a new physics engine similar to the Euphoria engine (see: http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49700) or by creating a far larger animation liabrary than they use currently to make player movements and reactions far more natural and unique.

3. Greater off-the-pitch detail, through the introduction of moving 3D modelled photographers that react to play, ballboys that collect balls for throw-ins, etc. Generally speaking a living, breathing stadium that reacts to play on the pitch.

4. Non-stop Action, I think by losing a large number of the cutscenes in the game, such as those at throw-ins and corners (and introducing ballboys as mentioned above) the game will become a very much more immersive and realistic experience.

In case your wondering, I have no doubt in my mind that all this is attainable with this generation of hardware.

In one line: For me, a next-gen experience is in the details.

__

Last edited:
I like pes 09, in my view it feels like pes 5 that has been tweeked for better game play, ball physics, and graphics, with a touch of fifa aslo.

my score 8.5/10 however I have only played the demo - can't wait for the full game.

sorry m8 but are you serious its shit all like PES5 PES5 was the best version and still is it had it problems but it was great still is to this day all my friends have comps to see who is the best it plays more like PES6 and this in my opinion is where it fell short they started to go arcade and lost what was essential to the series Simulate football.

but i suppose where are all allowed our opinions even if they are daft.

ps. PES5 game play and controls are better than the Next-Gen versions.

i think the game's shit. we2002 on psx is a more balanced, challenging and most importantly fun experience than this.

Well from what ive seen the keepers tend to parry the ball 2 yrds to the side of them which is an easy tap in for any forward.. Theres also a crazy amount of yellow cards that the ref gives out.. Every slide challenge is a yellow and this is from the cpu doing it, not me.. Its alright every now and then and if its a clear one but for every challenge, its a wee bit to much..

I guess im just more of a realism man myself and thats why i chose fifa for last yr and this yr as well.. Before that it was a PES but ever since the launch of the next gen they've gone downhill.. Shame really.. :(

So the cpu slide tackles for you? you're obviously getting too muc help. i'm sure there's away of minimising the cpu involvement.:DD

Is PES2009 demo better than PES2008 demo? - YES...
Will PES2009 be better than PES2008? - YES

BUT...as many have said...
You can't help but feel PES2009 is more a PES2008.5...
More time would have been spent fixing last years issues than adding brand new super content etc...

+ Graphics
Players / Stadiums / Nets Grass ALL look much better...
Slowdowns are better, but hardly a plus point tbh!...its shouldn't do it...full stop
+ Game Speed
A lot better compared to PES2008...

- Physics
The ball seems to gluide along the ground more like an ice puck than a ball...
- Set Pieces & Penalties
NO changes what so ever into the execution of taking them...
- AI & Goalkeepers
Goalkeepers are still a bit naff at times...
defensive AI still goes off into wrong directions...
attacking AI still not quite right...
-Animations
Running animations with the ball look awful!!
-General Feel
The game feels very heavy and ridged...players feel like thay are in cement at times....the game doesn't flow as nice as PES6 imo...

There are improvements...but its minor improvements here and there...

The demo was an awful version if we are all being totaly objective here!
The final version i have heard is a LOT better than the demo!

ANyone that loves the demo just now should be in for a treat when the actual game comes out...
People that hate hate the demo or are unsure MIGHT be surprised when the full version comes out...

ANyways...for me...demo is a fail
I am still keeping an open mind for the FULL GAME though....
but....konami will need to go some to beat fifa this year!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the 360 demo is available to non-gold members yet, or will it be, prior to full release? It seems ridiculous that i'm not allowed to try it. I've managed to try out the Fifa demo, two years in a row.

EDIT: it is now free to download

Last edited:
I've been a member of the biggest PES forums since... 2001 or something. Not a big poster, but I read them alot. Each year, there is a very negative side to the posts, just prior to release. Each and every year. Taking that into account, and comparing this years reactions from past ones, I am very optimistic and looking forward to this game.

I'm going to have to return to the Fifa demo and try to find this 360 control, I was playing it a few days ago and could have sworn they only ran in 8 directions.

Back
Top Bottom