My laser sucks, will a hard drive work?

Mine nearly died so i got a hrad drive instead. Its got enough power to boot up the original HDAdvance disc(albeit after 2 or 3 tries). Before within 10mins of playing my laser wouldnt pick the game up but now im getting endless hours with my hard drive.
You will needa PS2 network adapter to connest your hard drive to the back of the ps2.

I dont know whats the problem, if you google around you'll find an "free hd loader" which can be loaded onto your memory card via cd (as long as got a chip with different booting options like the dms3 or dms4 so you can boot homebrew software from mc). in that way you wouldnt even need a laser-unit at all. Give it a try.

use hdloader/hdadvance, network adapter PS2, a hard drive and also some software to transfer games (especially if you want a patched PES4) to your hard drive.

DJ

Forgive my ignorance, but do you need a proper PS2 hard-drive, or will any old hard-disk do, so long as you use hdloader? After all, game data is game data and media is media, right? I mean, I can boot back DVD's using knife trick, so I could boot using a regular h/d?

It's just that I was looking a few months ago to buy an official h/d but they weren't for sale in the uk.

get the harddisk

about which harddisk to get

use the site above to know which model works

and stay clear of seagate and western digital

i recommend Maxtor & samsung to you with at least 40 GB Size , and HDLoader

im buying the network adapter and a maxtor hard drive now, will i need anything else to transfer the games to my hard drive (from my pc)?

edit:

also, will i need the install cd for the network adapter?

Last edited:
ashmufc said:
How you planning to connect the HD to your PC?

i dont know. im not sure how the process works. if i have the game on my pc, such as a patched we8 image, how would i go about getting it onto my HD?

You could insert it into your pc to a spare IDE cable and transfer it or you could get a usb external hard drive enclosure which is probably the best way. You will need a program called Winhip to transfer the images to your hard drive though.
Go to this site and you should be ok.

www.ps2-scene.org

jumbo said:
I have an easier way. Just do it over the network.

could you explain? through the network adapter connect to my wireless connection and download it off the pc? thanks.

My ps2 stopped reading discs, so I opened up the case and wiped the optical lens and now it reads everything I chuck at it!
I had to return my laser I ordered since I thought that must have been the fault at 1st, but no the evil known as DUST was its problem.

you can do it over the network, but its a lot quicker to plug the HD into your pc and run winHiip, plus its easier to apply patches that way :)

if you cant boot your own CD's there is an exploit that requires an original PSX game and HDloader on your memcard

What I do is get a HDD External Box, you jsut connect your HD into the box, and send the image with WINHIIP, geting speeds of 15-30mb per second, a lot faster then netwworking. I am a moderator in the HDD section of http://www.ps2-scene.org/forums so feel free for to ask more qustions.

Can you buy of ebay? If so I'll show you some of those USB IDE boxes, saves the hassle of opening your PC up all the time to connect the HD to the PC, also a "box" is safer then jsut a IDE to USB cable like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41994&item=5793467564&rd=1

Because hard drives are easily prone to static problems, so its safer in a box.

jonboyo said:
My ps2 stopped reading discs, so I opened up the case and wiped the optical lens and now it reads everything I chuck at it!
I had to return my laser I ordered since I thought that must have been the fault at 1st, but no the evil known as DUST was its problem.

thanks a lot, i will try this.

and thanks to everyone.

Sticking the hard drive into an enclosure and connecting it up takes less than 5 mins. Transferring an iso will take a couple of minutes so in my opinion that is easily the better option.

jumbo said:
hdl dump does not take forver. 1h for a 4GB game.

plus the fact that you don't have to touch / unplug anything.

2 hours to me, as the speed won't be more than 30 kb/s

wiinhip is better , as the speed 5-20 mb/s

sorry to hear that. the highest i've had is 2mb/s. i average 700kb/s and have yet to download the latest version which i hear is even faster.

jumbo said:
hdl dump does not take forver. 1h for a 4GB game.

plus the fact that you don't have to touch / unplug anything.

Yeah but 5 mins if you open your pc up. and if its a new game why wait one hour when you can play in 5 mins

jonboyo said:

is that difficult Jonno?

Back
Top Bottom