Messi is not renewing his Barcelona contract

I was convinced he was going to play for Manchester City last season when he wanted out of Barca because of Bartomeu.
But then, when Laporta took his place, Messi seemed happier and felt more comfortable. I don't think he was planning to leave Barcelona for the next 4 years.

The rumours were that he wanted to stay at Barcelona for the next 4 years and then go to the MLS.
But Barcelona not being able to renew him due to finances/LaLiga restrictions, shocked him. Everything was ready to be signed.

That's what I've read from different media outlets from different sources and places.

I was convinced he was going to play for Manchester City last season when he wanted out of Barca because of Bartomeu.
But then, when Laporta took his place, Messi seemed happier and felt more comfortable. I don't think he was planning to leave Barcelona for the next 4 years.

The rumours were that he wanted to stay at Barcelona for the next 4 years and then go to the MLS.
But Barcelona not being able to renew him due to finances/LaLiga restrictions, shocked him. Everything was ready to be signed.

That's what I've read from different media outlets from different sources and places.
Whats this finance rule?And why not put a smaller figure in there simply? But im not a millionaire so not sure if i would be struggling to decide also to get 35 mil a year or just 10.
Never mind the press conference tells a different story

Last edited:
I hope Mbappe & Neymar stays at PSG, curious to see how they would play all together.

well if it happens everyone on FIFA will make it happen next year.

I am just disappointed he isn’t coming to the Premier League.
But if I could sign a contract with PSG for the money he is going to earn and only have to play 8-10 competitive games a year then let him do that.

It is because of the ease of his career - Ronaldo will always be the better player in my eyes.

well if it happens everyone on FIFA will make it happen next year.

I am just disappointed he isn’t coming to the Premier League.
But if I could sign a contract with PSG for the money he is going to earn and only have to play 8-10 competitive games a year then let him do that.

It is because of the ease of his career - Ronaldo will always be the better player in my eyes.
I agree with everything you said, would've loved to see him in the EPL (especially with Pep), but I think everything was so sudden therefore it didn't happen, because City plan their transfers really well.

In PSG's case, they were worried Mbappe will leave next year and now suddenly make Messi the highest paid player, where the money is coming from to fund so many salaries is beyond me. I think FFP is just a false thing, like Santa Claus.

I wouldn't call Messi's career 'easy' by any means, out of Ronaldo's 9 years in La Liga, Real only won the league twice. EPL will always be tougher than any other league out there, but Messi's performances against EPL Teams in UCL should be more than enough to prove that he *could* have done it in England.

He's proved that he can handle highly physical games in his career, as seen with his performances with Argentina, most recently in the Copa America where everyone was out to kill each other rather than play football.

Truly the end of an era. Thanks for the moments Leo! In my eyes, he was the GOAT already after that 2011 CL final.

Call me a nutter, but all signs point to -> mission accomplished for Bartomeu. This guy came in and destroyed Barca financially & mentally. Ruined everything & left. I googled this scum to see how his name is spelt & his job title is listed entrepreneur :LMAO:

Should've sold that man last year and filled with $$$ but then i remember it's barca, it's the same club that bought coutinho (€160 million) and one-leg lazy guy dembele (€105 million + €40 million add-ons ).

Would've been hilarious if Messi pulled out a "figo move" during press confrence yesterday "this club sucks, i'm taking my talent to bernabeu" Imagine the possibility... Heel of Century :D

Maybe leaving barca could be blessing in disguise, too much clown in that club it's almost look like a circus. I heard the want to change their slogan from "Mes Que Un Club" to "Mess as a Club"

Messi is good guy, if he's injury-free maybe he could play till 40 like Zanetti did.

coutinho (€160 million) and one-leg lazy guy dembele (€105 million + €40 million add-ons ).
I don't know, man; I would probably have bought Coutinho & Ousmane myself if I play the role of Barca's management team.
But what I know I wouldn't buy are Jérémy Mathieu, Miralem Pjanic & Arda Turan.

£1m a week according to some reports.
So that works out at £10m a competitive game.

Should of gone MLS, it would been more competitive.

Thought he wouldn’t wanted one last challenge, rather than one last big pay day.

Nothing else to say really except MERCINERY.

Last edited:
£1m a week according to some reports.
So that works out at £10m a competitive game.

Should of gone MLS, it would been more competitive.

Thought he wouldn’t wanted one last challenge, rather than one last big pay day.

Nothing else to say really except MERCINERY.
Ronaldo earns almost the same amount?
Didn't see anyone making that argument when he joined a side that had won 8 domestic league titles in a row. And believe me, winning the Champions League with Oil-money clubs is a different challenge altogether, they seem to be cursed.

Btw I think we all know who won Ligue 1 last season 😭

not up to me to decide but it makes no sense on so many levels

PSG being allowed to sign whoever they want and circumvent FFP
Barcelona not being able to renew the contract because of FFP
Messi claiming to want to stay but not willing to extend the contract because of money when, let's be fucking real, his family and 10 next generations are set for life already even if he's not investing anything.

What a total shitshow.

You could look at it from that point of view, but you could also just listen to him. He said that he wants to keep winning.

I'm guessing it is hard for people like him to just turn it off and go play sunday league with the boys. And for his level, I'm sorry but MLS or the Argentine league would be sunday league for him.

That's the thing ,he could have gone pretty much anywhere ,it's not like he's completely poor right? Net worth around $400 millions
Instead he chooses a stately run club from a horrible country.
What a greedy fucking idiot.

Woah, Can't believe you just said that. Specially you, Rock.

All Messi wants is to win another Champions League and the World Cup.
He's wanted Barcelona to build a strong team for years now (since the debacle against Rome, then Liverpool, then Bayern).

Last year he was presented with offers from Manchester City and PSG. I think he would have chosen Manchester City back then, but that's just my opinion. And Barcelona didn't let him get out. This year he was happy to stay at Barcelona because the team was looking better.

But I just love it when people counts other people's pockets and think they know better. "Oh he's rich, why doesn't he play for free in a lower league team?". That's not the mentality. He had already agreed to take a 50% salary cut. The best player in the world and arguably the best ever. I would love to know if any other player in history, among those considered GOATs would have agreed to reduce their salary that much.

And from what I've heard now, only two clubs could have been able to sign him: Chelsea and PSG. He chose PSG because of his friendship with Di Maria, Paredes and Neymar. And because living in London wasn't so appealing for him because of his 3 little kids and wife.

Messi claiming to want to stay but not willing to extend the contract because of money

That's not what happened.

Just to clear something up about Messi playing for free - He shouldn’t have to.
Barca’s wage to revenue ratio is currently at around 115%. Even without Messi’s wages, it’s still 95%.
La Liga’s salary cap is set at 70%.
So even if Messi played for free, Barca couldn’t register him.

That's the thing ,he could have gone pretty much anywhere ,it's not like he's completely poor right? Net worth around $400 millions
Instead he chooses a stately run club from a horrible country.
What a greedy fucking idiot.
He could have gone pretty much anywhere?? Brother, let's analyse shall we....

Premier League-
Man City : Just spent 100+ million on Grealish & chasing Kane - so not possible
Chelsea : Just spent 120 million on Lukaku, so not possible
Man Utd : Spent 80 mil on Sancho and 50 mil on Varane, not possible
Liverpool : Does not suit playing style, transfer will make no sense
Tottenham/Arsenal : FORGET IT.

Serie A-
All clubs are broke. Juve can barely afford Ronaldo, Inter are selling Star Players just to keep the club afloat and AC Milan are just starting to recover from the painful 6-7 years.

La Liga-
Real Madrid : Broke + He's not Figo
Atletico : Does not suit playing style + transfer will make 0 sense

Bundesliga-
Bayern - Not in their philosophy to sign Mega Stars + they aren't interested anyway

And thats leaves us only with one option, Ligue 1 and we all know the Club that can afford him + can offer him the best sporting project.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but please think before you start calling names and abusing one of the greatest players of our generation. It's like you started following football yesterday.
Messi claiming to want to stay but not willing to extend the contract because of money when, let's be fucking real, his family and 10 next generations are set for life already even if he's not investing anything.
He was willing to extend, he said so himself and the Press Conference. Now the argument is that he is rich beyond compare so why cant he play for free or minimum wage? The situation at Barcelona is so bad, that they are struggling to resgister Depay, Aguero and the new signings. Even if Messi playing for free, it still wouldnt matter as Barcelona would be 20% above their wage cap anyways without him.

I feel everyone is extremely uninformed here, please read up on some facts as to why all this happened.

Back
Top Bottom