Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy [PC, Xboxes, PS4, PS5]

Isslander

Gordon's alive!
3 August 2003
Iceland
Liverpool
Favorable reviews for this a day before release. As a massive fan of the comic run by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning, which is the base for the movies, I am quite excited about this one. I am also pleased that it seems to be a linear game as well instead of an open world one, there is only so many of those one can deal with.

Only dipped my toe in it so far, but it seems to be a very simple old school kind of superhero game. At the same time it looks tremendous.

Would be nice if they could get the actor likeness.

But this being a linear game instead of open world gives me some hope. Will keep an eye on the game.

Might get it eventually for the kids but I can't see myself playing it. From what I read the game has hardcoded auto lock combat in consoles and only on pc you have an option to turn it off when playing with m/kb. If this is true, although the game might be fun, it's just a mindless kids game which can become very repetitive with the auto lock.
That said, does anyone know if the game has multiple difficulty settings at least?

Might get it eventually for the kids but I can't see myself playing it. From what I read the game has hardcoded auto lock combat in consoles and only on pc you have an option to turn it off when playing with m/kb. If this is true, although the game might be fun, it's just a mindless kids game which can become very repetitive with the auto lock.
That said, does anyone know if the game has multiple difficulty settings at least?
It has two difficulty settings above the recommended one. The basic combat with Peter Quill is the lock on stuff you talked about. But there is a lot of managing the other guys with commands as well. I imagine it can get quite frantic as it goes along.

marvel-guardians-throwback-outfits-781x366.jpg
Pre-ordering gave me these costumes (also available later in game) up front. I changed straight to this outfit for Quill as his leather jacket has a bizarre swaying motion when he walks, almost like Dead or Alive boob physics have been added to it. Also this outfit nails his comic look, see below

Screenshot 2021-10-26 132253.jpg
I also changed things up for Drax, although his outfit are more accurate as 80's representations in the comics. Gamorra is a bit whatever here (nice belt skull though) and Rocket a bit too joke-y, there are numerous outfits for all of them though, unlockable throughout the game. I already have a movie one unlocked for Groot but all of his skins seem very samey.

I honestly can't stress enough how great the Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning Guardians run is though. If you have any interest in cosmic Marvel you need to read it.

Last edited:
Saw credits on this a couple of nights ago, The PS5 timer said 13 hours but I think it has to be longer. I was certainly not rushing through it, although it didn't take me many days to finish.
This is a bit "Uncharted in Space". There is exploration, and then there are encounters with bad guys. Sometimes a bit of flying, but those bits are rare.
The highlight here is the story. It's fantastic and kept me coming back until I was all done. The characters are all good, Drax is a highlight and most of his lines are hilarious. The story and characters are a mix of the comic and movie versions. Star-Lord is mostly the movie Star-Lord, though.
The only real problem with the gameplay is the start of the game. You can watch the first couple of hours of this game and it might very well put you off it. The first enemies are bouncing balls, bouncing cubes and spiky things. They all look a bit rough, and you run around them with your underpowered guns and make the other characters do the occasional attack, one for each of them. It's a bit dull, and only the story and environments will keep you going at this point. But after a few more encounters, you update your guns and your team's abilities, and everything becomes a lot better. Rather than being a bit of a chore, the encounters become exciting tactical battles. Near the end, I was never annoyed to go into an encounter with enemies, but excited. And the late boss fights are marvelous as well.
It's not without complaints though. It can be buggy at times, and within the great graphics there are rough spots. One time I saw an early bad ending because a button prompt didn't appear on screen. But it allowed me to start again just before. Finishing moves on enemies can look a bit naff, not nearly as polished as Amazing Spider-Man was on PS4. The gameplay design allows Star-Lord to fall off platforms to what should be his death, only for him to spawn again without any consequence. It's hard to tell just how much the player choice matters, although I know that one of my choices made for a very funny, although foreseeable bit at the end. Also, I'm not sure if it was only my choices or the game story, but Rocket was pretty much insufferable for a quarter of the game. Once he snaps out that bad mood, he is as funny as the rest.
So all in all, I was very impressed with this game and hope they get a chance to make a sequel.

Back
Top Bottom