Manual Passing BLEW MY MIND: PES 2020 Realism Upgrade

advanced just feels more realistic than manual. with manual pretty much every players shoots like rockets, no matter which foot. also sometimes the animation is missing and the shot looks like a pass. and the most important thing: you can't really do intentional low shots like this one:

i don't think this finish (downward shot) would be possible with manual or basic. yes it could happen, but you can't tell the game to do it without advanced. (aiming away from goal)

another example of a beautiful low shot with advanced:

Special shots are triggered also in manual, but it seems more difficult to control. Inside the box i only use A/Y to shoot low, but at long range you can use sprint button + shoot with low power to make a low shot. Would be better to have a specific button to force low shots, though.

I don't really like the way advanced shooting works, it's very unintuitive.

Special shots are triggered also in manual, but it seems more difficult to control. Inside the box i only use A/Y to shoot low, but at long range you can use sprint button + shoot with low power to make a low shot. Would be better to have a specific button to force low shots, though.

I don't really like the way advanced shooting works, it's very unintuitive.

it's just a matter of practise i guess. i don't really need to think when shooting with advanced anymore, you automatically do what you want your player to do. once you get used to it it's super intuitive!

advanced just feels more realistic than manual. with manual pretty much every players shoots like rockets, no matter which foot. also sometimes the animation is missing and the shot looks like a pass. and the most important thing: you can't really do intentional low shots like this one:

i don't think this finish (downward shot) would be possible with manual or basic. yes it could happen, but you can't tell the game to do it without advanced. (aiming away from goal)

I actually like the fact manual shooting is 'always' a rocket shot, although it can dip with with correct trait. With advanced, I didn't like how randomly it wouldn't work, and how it floated away with long rangers. Oh, long rangers aren't even possible on advanced, at least not frequently enough to give it a try. With manual I just feel that if I have enough practice on broadcast camera I won't turn back to advanced.

Last edited:
I actually like the fact manual shooting is 'always' a rock shot, although it can dip with with correct trait. With advanced, I didn't like how randomly it wouldn't work, and how it floated away with long rangers. Oh, long rangers aren't even possible on advanced, at least not frequently enough to give it a try. With manual I just feel that if I have enough practice on broadcast camera I won't turn back to advanced.
I agree.
Advanced worked great in Pes19 or 18 (cant remember), but there was something awfully wrong with advanced in Pes20.
It was borderline impossible to have a proper rocket top corner shot inside the box. It was all floaty and... well... shit.
Long rangers were non-existent.

Manual might be overpowered, but at least i felt like shots packed a punch.

Shooting in Pes20 was very, very poor overall. If you compare it to Fifa - there is almost zero variety here.

Basic would be ideal if it was stats based and varied, but its not.
So I kinda ended up "forced" to play manual shooting, which at least was fun for a while.

Last Pes where basic shooting was reasonably varied and fun was Pes17, where till this day I play on manual passing, advanced through balls and basic shooting.

In general - Pes17 is last one I still play every now and again, period. Uninstalled all the others.

I actually think the worst (most "intrusive" in the sense that it limits things and totally changes them) assist in PES is the shooting. It's one of the things I liked better about FIFA because regardless of the assist level (or lackthereof) the direction you pushed the left stick was the same whereas in PES with basic you can only select right, center or left and the advanced thing never made sense to me as (unlike in Fifa) I never know which direction of the stick matches what part of the goal... At least in manual the shots tend to mostly go where you actually point them (at least that's my impression)

I got back to this (yes, I know...) giving another chance to FUMA. Made a couple friendlies and then went back to my ML with PSV. Played on Regular and it felt refreshing, but ending each match with no attempts from the CPU was kind of a cheap business. So I go back to Top Player 20 mins just to see the diference. It was cool, some missed passes here and there from the CPU, missed cleared oportunities as well and a couple fouls. I actually won the cup quarter final 3-1 so I was happy with it.

Then my derby match against Ajax... everything went down the drain. Everything I disliked about the game was happening from the 1st second of the game. Ajax passed the ball like crazy, first time super speed, all players were faster than mine, they don´t need to make an effort to win the ball on all situations, and lots of tackles from behind. knocking my player to the ground wihtout a foul.

It´s this lack of balance that puts me off. The CPU positioning and instant pressing is out of this world, but I can´t do the same no matter wich tactic I use. Please notice that I was using my 6 years ML, were my PSV is around 82 OVR and AJAX has droped to around 75 OVR. If only there was some balance on dificulty, I could enjoy this.

After many year of playing pes, all the way back to the ps1, as a 51 year young guy i tried out manual.
Not full manual yet, just passing. At my age you have to be carefull with any kind of change :P

So, dropped down a level and did some exhibition games. Man, this is not easy. I find myself misplacing a lot of passes, underpowering, overpowering and just plain wrong direction.
But i have to say, it feels different, in a fresh way.
Granted, it's on a low level which tends to feel more free anyway, but it does feel better.
That being said i can't see myself doing this on my usual level (which is professional) but it's been a while since i had so much fun with this game.
Still on basic shooting and basic throughball, but will continue with manual passing for now.

Have to say, it feels good.

After many year of playing pes, all the way back to the ps1, as a 51 year young guy i tried out manual.
Not full manual yet, just passing. At my age you have to be carefull with any kind of change :P

So, dropped down a level and did some exhibition games. Man, this is not easy. I find myself misplacing a lot of passes, underpowering, overpowering and just plain wrong direction.
But i have to say, it feels different, in a fresh way.
Granted, it's on a low level which tends to feel more free anyway, but it does feel better.
That being said i can't see myself doing this on my usual level (which is professional) but it's been a while since i had so much fun with this game.
Still on basic shooting and basic throughball, but will continue with manual passing for now.

Have to say, it feels good.

Long time PA1 player here and this year manual feels very good. I still play PA1 most of the time, but I have to agree that manual opens up other possibilities, as you can explore open spaces better than ever. I had some reservations about stats being ignored, but in the end, it is very noticeable that a a good passing stat doesn´t make your player actually pass better... sometimes when a good player passes the ball, what happens is that the CPU simply defends worse, or your receiver reacts quicker to make sure that the pass is sucessfull. This way, it doesn´t matter if you play PA1 or PA0 because what really matters is not the pass itself as an action, but instead it´s the CPU/Human player´s reaction that has a diferent outcome. Not always the case, but I noticed it a lot of times already. Team chemistry also plays a big part here.

Playing manual looks good but can we find opponents to play with on xbox, my goal is use vs com modes to learn the game and take those skills online to play human opposition if feel like it (not often but option should always be there).

Ok that manual stuff is not easy, didn't manage to get an opening in 2 matches against Hibs and someone else but my TS below 50 using default team, can defend like normal just not fluid in attack but very cool how you need to take a second or two (mostly had to pass back to go forward) before making a pass instead of just pressing A, will continue with it.

Ok that manual stuff is not easy, didn't manage to get an opening in 2 matches against Hibs and someone else but my TS below 50 using default team, can defend like normal just not fluid in attack but very cool how you need to take a second or two (mostly had to pass back to go forward) before making a pass instead of just pressing A, will continue with it.
Add a tv like camera angle and you’ll have an even tougher challenge. Oh boy... but it looks so damn nice!!
For me it’s all about getting used to it... still goes on... and this takes time for me... weeks... month...!

Really loving manual passing more and more. Match flow is awesome, there’s no cheap play, in pressure I have to clear the ball, and sometimes I can string first time passes better than on PA1, because in moments when I’m inspired, I can see spaces and then explore them... It’s beautiful when it happens.
I’m still struggling to choose the shooting mode though. Manual seems too hard but also just very random from my input point of view... In the brief moment I have, I just choose a direction, shoot and hope for the best. Advanced looks very cool but it’s like manual in terms of accuracy, I still need lots of intention when I have to control the shot direction. Basic is easier, but it feels way more scripted on the outcome and also, I believe it gives a certain boost to CPU to make it more acurate while finishing, wich translates in 100% shots on target on some maches.

Add a tv like camera angle and you’ll have an even tougher challenge. Oh boy... but it looks so damn nice!!
For me it’s all about getting used to it... still goes on... and this takes time for me... weeks... month...!

Agreed, but there is so much joy to be had in noticing your improvements! Can’t tell you how many times I fluffed a pass from full back to winger and it (almost) never happens now.

Also, I played a few exhibition matches with the ‘Blimp’ camera and it’s working really well with my counter attacking football on FUMA.

Going to try it on my ML save now!

Really loving manual passing more and more. Match flow is awesome, there’s no cheap play, in pressure I have to clear the ball, and sometimes I can string first time passes better than on PA1, because in moments when I’m inspired, I can see spaces and then explore them... It’s beautiful when it happens.
I’m still struggling to choose the shooting mode though. Manual seems too hard but also just very random from my input point of view... In the brief moment I have, I just choose a direction, shoot and hope for the best. Advanced looks very cool but it’s like manual in terms of accuracy, I still need lots of intention when I have to control the shot direction. Basic is easier, but it feels way more scripted on the outcome and also, I believe it gives a certain boost to CPU to make it more acurate while finishing, wich translates in 100% shots on target on some maches.
That was my point. In PES the only fouls called are for sliding tackles. In terms of physical contact you can throw a guy off the pitch and there's no fouls given. Which is pretty much what I did in the clip above - with no foul / penalty given.
Add advanced through ball and it opens up opportunities even more

I find the animation too slow for advanced through ball a lot of the time. I tend to get caught in possession as I'm placing my pass, whereas if I'd used standard pass I would have got the pass away before the defender had time to block it.

I have only just started using full manual though so may just be me taking too long with it and need to persevere

It was a first time I played with Full Manual. I had a lot of difficulties especially in the directions of the short passes and crossing the ball in the penalty area. Unlike I felt a little more comfortable with shooting. But the problem was create a serious chances. However, was definitely a smoother game. I can move more freely with the players. Especially I can pass more freely behind opponent. It feels like I'm playing a completely different game.

It was a first time I played with Full Manual. I had a lot of difficulties especially in the directions of the short passes and crossing the ball in the penalty area. Unlike I felt a little more comfortable with shooting. But the problem was create a serious chances. However, was definitely a smoother game. I can move more freely with the players. Especially I can pass more freely behind opponent. It feels like I'm playing a completely different game.

nice vid mate
don't worry you'll get used to manual and love it more if you practice enough
and pls tell me how you got the sky sports scoreboards to work
thanks

nice vid mate
don't worry you'll get used to manual and love it more if you practice enough
and pls tell me how you got the sky sports scoreboards to work
thanks

Thanks mate. Google 'Gigascoreboard'. But this is for PES20. I did a little bit of bluff for the title on youtube. Not sure it works for pes2021

Long time PA1 player here and this year manual feels very good. I still play PA1 most of the time, but I have to agree that manual opens up other possibilities, as you can explore open spaces better than ever. I had some reservations about stats being ignored, but in the end, it is very noticeable that a a good passing stat doesn´t make your player actually pass better... sometimes when a good player passes the ball, what happens is that the CPU simply defends worse, or your receiver reacts quicker to make sure that the pass is sucessfull. This way, it doesn´t matter if you play PA1 or PA0 because what really matters is not the pass itself as an action, but instead it´s the CPU/Human player´s reaction that has a diferent outcome. Not always the case, but I noticed it a lot of times already. Team chemistry also plays a big part here.
this is bullshit sorry and you know it. PA0 is soo different. PA1 while not as shitty as pa2 and 3 it is still heavily assisted.

edit OH I saw your next post. Keep going bro, I bought PES in july so I'm a newcomer but this game is too assisted for me to play it normally so I started Manual in August and let me tell ya sum I still struggle shooting, but when I do get it right, sooon it's a fantastic feeling, long rangers, first timers, that across the goal bullbull, this game does have it all

Yeah, I've always been Team "Manual Makes Attributes Meaningless", but after persisting with manual for a few days on 2020, it's clear to me that I was wrong and PA0 is not fully manual.

(Otherwise I would be missing a LOT more passes - you can use the manual pass modifier, which is R1 or R2 by default I think, to see the "actual" manual line and compare it with your PA0 pass.)

I also felt the AI did actually react to your control settings, and that pass accuracy was lower. UNTIL, I played the team at the bottom of the league and they ended the first half with 94% pass accuracy. Now I'm not so sure.

On manual, I can't play with the freedom I should be able to, having decent players. Matches don't look like real Premier League or Championship matches - they look like slow, careful, laggy kickarounds with no special moments. (On PA1+, they're all basketball games, counters back and forth and back and forth. Neither is good. IMO.)

The game (sometimes) adds a second's lag to your input on any input method - add the delay of manual passing to that and it feels a million miles from real football to me.

Yes, it feels great to pull off a through pass and know it was (mostly) all you, and the same when scoring (I scored a goal that wouldn't be possible on assisted shooting, from a tight angle, right into the corner, and it felt great).

But is it football, only choosing easy passes and giving away possession constantly (every match)? When you're a high quality team? I don't think so.

Full manual might be fun - but it's not football (or even realism). It's something else. Just like eSports football IS NOT football. Fun, maybe. But no representation of what professional football is.
what ? Why are you generalizing people with your experience? I can pull off whatever on manual, easy, hard, quick succession, killer balls, round the back foot. It's similar to football if you try hard enough, don't give up that easy

I´m now playing FUMA on Top Player and I´m 1st place in the Scottish league. I even managed to win the derby match against Celtic 0-1, as they missed a lot of clear chances, but I only had 2 shots on goal. It´s clicking now and it feels natural and organic. Now I get it... and I can´t go back anymore to any kind of assisted bullshit.

No way this could happen in PA1.

I am really struggling playing full manual. Played 10-15 games with Super Star and still hard especially create serious chances. I was losing 0-2 against West Ham in this match and just switched to advenced shooting. Then made this easy goal with Delle Alli. With assistance everything get easy for me and it's not enjoyable. But with full manual, man I just scored 2-3 goals in 15 matches.

On the topic of manual, I'm rubbish at the game but love the feeling of achieving something when I do actually manage to score. But, the biggest issue for me is switching between players, using this on full manual seems to be extremely difficult? Currently it's set at semi-assisted as it's the only way I can attack without having the cursor not mess the whole attack up.

On the topic of manual, I'm rubbish at the game but love the feeling of achieving something when I do actually manage to score. But, the biggest issue for me is switching between players, using this on full manual seems to be extremely difficult? Currently it's set at semi-assisted as it's the only way I can attack without having the cursor not mess the whole attack up.
I use assisted and it works fine ..just unlocked legendary with my 5th win in FUMA

Back
Top Bottom