Manual Passing BLEW MY MIND: PES 2020 Realism Upgrade

The_Knight

Champions League
13 December 2005
This is the most important video I made, simply because for the first time in nearly a decade, this is something that completely changed how the game felt and played, much bigger than any year-to-year upgrade. The advantages of switching to manual passing are innumerable, but I did my best to point them out in this video. Share this with all your friends so everyone can switch to manual and we'd have a much better time online.

This is the most important video I made, simply because for the first time in nearly a decade, this is something that completely changed how the game felt and played, much bigger than any year-to-year upgrade. The advantages of switching to manual passing are innumerable, but I did my best to point them out in this video. Share this with all your friends so everyone can switch to manual and we'd have a much better time online.

My huge problem with playing on manual passing, is that you can't make the AI play on "manual passing" too.

They never misplace a pass into empty space, and their pass accuracy is always ridiculously high on Superstar - a few people have pointed out that playing against the likes of a Championship team, or the poorest international teams in the game, you will see 90%+ pass accuracy (which is bizarre - and the opposite of what happens in every PES prior to last year's game, I think).

So to use manual and put myself at an even bigger disadvantage... Is that fun? Against the AI? (I'm genuinely asking!)

I've been going the opposite way - experimenting with higher PA levels and using fully-auto player switching (to increase defensive responsiveness, on @hitmanuk's advice), to try and level the playing field! Because if the AI are using PA2 or PA3 (and it's why their pass accuracy is CRAZY-HIGH), then I have to use that to stand a chance. (Because there's no AI pass accuracy slider...)

My huge problem with playing on manual passing, is that you can't make the AI play on "manual passing" too.

They never misplace a pass into empty space, and their pass accuracy is always ridiculously high on Superstar - a few people have pointed out that playing against the likes of a Championship team, or the poorest international teams in the game, you will see 90%+ pass accuracy (which is bizarre - and the opposite of what happens in every PES prior to last year's game, I think).

I had the opposite impression: They made WAY MORE inaccurate passes when I switched to manual! Also, a disadvantage? When you master it it's a massive advantage. Watch starting here:

My experience with manual passing was as Chris described - the CPU stays on heavily assisted passing. In fact, there were matches where, if anything, the CPU passing became ever more ping-pongy, so I just gave up on it. I instead used PA1 and then manual over-ride (L2) for when I wanted to play a manual pass or shot.

However, maybe Konami have altered this somewhere in their numerous patches, so I might give it another go next time I turn on this difficult-to-like game.

i ve been thinking about going full manual for a long time now.watching your video i might just go for it..do you have any suggestions about specific camera settings which can help you to adjust better to the whole full manual situtation?also what level of ai difficulty would you suggest starting at?i think superstar is not a option for a newcomer to fuma..

i ve been thinking about going full manual for a long time now.watching your video i might just go for it..do you have any suggestions about specific camera settings which can help you to adjust better to the whole full manual situtation?also what level of ai difficulty would you suggest starting at?i think superstar is not a option for a newcomer to fuma..

I advise you to start getting used to manual with the camera you enjoy the most. Modded Broadcast is the most difficult, but even with that I was able to learn it in no time. It's all about getting used to where to aim on a specific angle, then you stick to this camera.

I had the opposite impression: They made WAY MORE inaccurate passes when I switched to manual! Also, a disadvantage? When you master it it's a massive advantage. Watch starting here:

maybe they only play bad when the game difficult is set to superstar?I am playing not with manual passing on Top Player because of the scripting/super AI.
Do you have any gameplay mods installed?

I advise you to start getting used to manual with the camera you enjoy the most. Modded Broadcast is the most difficult, but even with that I was able to learn it in no time. It's all about getting used to where to aim on a specific angle, then you stick to this camera.
well thank you for your answer but generally i m having a hard time sticking to a camera.i m a bit "crazy" in that aspect.sometimes i like broadcast and wide cameras zoomed out as much as possible..on some occasions i like to stick as close as possible to the action using mid range or long camera..oh well thanks anyway..

maybe they only play bad when the game difficult is set to superstar?I am playing not with manual passing on Top Player because of the scripting/super AI.
Do you have any gameplay mods installed?
Nope, no gameplay mods. That's default DP7.0-8.0 gameplay.

So to use manual and put myself at an even bigger disadvantage... Is that fun? Against the AI? (I'm genuinely asking!)

I've been going the opposite way - experimenting with higher PA levels and using fully-auto player switching (to increase defensive responsiveness, on @hitmanuk's advice), to try and level the playing field! Because if the AI are using PA2 or PA3 (and it's why their pass accuracy is CRAZY-HIGH), then I have to use that to stand a chance. (Because there's no AI pass accuracy slider...)
Chris maybe you can try manual passing on Top Player. It seems the CPU is not perfect with their passing on that level and you will still have good games as you get use to manual passing. I've just started playing PES 2020 PC this week. With all the mods and EvoWebPatch V8 I'm loving it so far. Just started an ML.

yes, partly i agree here chris.
we had that discussion over and over again when its about PA0 or PAwhatever... same with shooting and player control.

what came to my mind, and again its the same analogy i'm using, racing games. when i set the diffuculty level in those racing games, i could think: "man, that AI isnt gearing manual", "man, that AI driver isnt braking without ABS", "man, this AI driver aint got to handle tire warming"....
so, am i right saying: in no games the AI is equal to what we are playing when we play manual!? think about it.
you know what i prefer! ;)

its just a thought i had this morning (when i was using the racing games analogy in the past just to show the freedom i can get in comparison to assisted/guided passes). i dont want to start a debate, or bashing or something. i just wanna exchange opinions and maybe learn something! :)

its a fine line (for the future) to handle a game that relies on stats but polishes it with a bit of assist, so we dont even know we 've got assisted but have the illusion the stats are the driving factor! imo, its about hiding "assists" and covering it with stats (wich have to include error)!!! humanize PES!
i hope you guys get me!

in a perfect world, i'd play PA1, stats would matter, my input in the sticks would matter in combination with the stats, and all players had humanzied errors in the script that kicks in as their stats tell them to! and it goes in circles.... WE NEED THAT STAT BASED SYSTEM as a base! badly! arent we!?
and in this perfect world, animations would be versaitle and situations so lifelike it would cover/overshadow "the scripting" (wich is needed guys, its a video game (lines of code, 0's and 1's) in the end)!!

i dont ever want to miss on all the possibilities that are just not happening when playing assisted (yes, i said it, you havent seen it all in PA1 and above :PP )! how many times i wanted to play a ball just a few meters in front of me or besides the oppenent and go around but my mate gets in the way...^^ just a one simple example. same time i wish stats mattered more...

edit: ahhh... thats a way to start the day! :LOL:

edit2: @The_Knight started watching above video last night but i was too tired... will finish today. man, again, that voice... i really could listen for hours! :APPLAUD: plus, i like the way you edit your videos! keep it up lad!!!

have a good one you all!

Last edited:
Yep, been on manual pass ever since pes2015 (pes14's manual was just too limited making it too difficult) and its awesome. In regards to errors.. Yes cpu too good on superstar.. But on Topplayer they make many mistakes when pressured (particularly bad teams) and really open to interceptions, again, particularly when pressured in defense right. For me perfect.. But would love it was a touch more difficult.. Still, the benefits of this level make it the best for me.

In regards to fuma, I will say since about 3months ago, I switched back from full manual shoot to basic. Just so many more variables. Plus r2 actually works as intended..

i have changed to manual passing for over 3 month and have to say that i never want to revert to PA!! yes its harder but way more realistic. I am very good with PA and can easy win 9 out of 10 games. With manual its a different (good) experience now. Really only thing PES needed is that CPU AI Sliders like Fifa has it

Looks great man, that is your best video yet!

I tried it but found it so hard to get used to. But you have convinvced me to try again. How do you actually do it? Like is the direction you press the stick the way the pass goes? So if it is like a clock if push 4 o clock it will be to the right and down? I found it very hard to adjust. Is there any vidoes with tutorials, I coukdn't find any

Did you start on begginer and work your way back up to superstar? I play on SS now but no way could I play at that level on manual to start with

You're Asencio chip goal is absolutely amazing looking, maybe the best looking goal overall I've seen realism wise

Last edited:

I tried it but found it so hard to get used to. But you have convinvced me to try again. How do you actually do it? Like is the direction you press the stick the way the pass goes? So if it is like a clock if push 4 o clock it will be to the right and down? I found it very hard to adjust. Is there any vidoes with tutorials, I coukdn't find any

Did you start on begginer and work your way back up to superstar? I play on SS now but no way could I play at that level on manual to start with

You're Asencio chip goal is absolutely amazing looking, maybe the best looking goal overall I've seen realism wise
Oh I turn on Superstar once I get the game and I've been doing that for a decade or so... No use getting used to a lower difficulty level. For manual passing, you just point the stick where you want it similar to basic passing, but instead of the general direction, you point exactly where you want it. It's actually quite intuitive, unlike manual shooting!

Same here. will try this weekend with FUMA. Im sure all my passes will be in the stands.... I guess Ill start off in the easiest difficulty.

I have been playing manual in offline mode for 10 years.... Of course that in manual, the experience, the competition is another..... I play on Imbatible mode and manul pass.. And let me know its really really difficult but is the best game I ever played........ sadly, the manual shot is not so good... Enjoy pal, is the best way to play pes, the football can feeling better.

Hardest thing to master is the angles and weight of pass.
I find manual easier by aiming not for the player when I pass but the space they are moving into this helped me get my head around the pass weight.

Been trying for a handful of games... Most frustrating games I've ever had. I'm getting better but I need a break as they havent been fun games. @The_Knight you play manual through pass as well?

Been trying for a handful of games... Most frustrating games I've ever had. I'm getting better but I need a break as they havent been fun games. @The_Knight you play manual through pass as well?

I only use manual passing, but through pass has no manual option it's just basic or advanced. I think it becomes manual too if your pass support is off, because the power bar stays orange, and I can also do a through pass anywhere. The difference is that it adds a useful spin if you're using the through pass instead of the normal pass.

@The_Knight hey, “you made me” try broadcast cam on PS4 again and i did enjoy it last night. Is that close cam switching gone now?!?!

It ups the manual passing difficulty due to the angle but a new “challenge” and a fresh look is always welcome when the game hasn’t delivered big for years! ;)

It’s crazy how it made me realize how conditioned my brain is towards TV like football. Might feel totally different to someone who’s visiting the stadium every weekend.

Last edited:
My main struggle with manual passing is to understand how much impact the stats have. I´m relly used to PA1 and I see a lot of individuality, but playing manual, although very nice and realistic, it makes me feel I don´t have the player stats making an impact. Thoughts?

A few games in and I am really enjoying it! Through balls especially can be much more accurate/realistic

Look at how good this cross is, I wish I have scored, but no way would this be possible on assited huh?!

Another amazing long ball into space! This is great! I just need to learn how to finish haha!

@The_Knight you have changed my experience agaion of this game! Thank you for the suggestions and the videos!
And doesn’t it feel good, when you see an opportunity, you hit that cross button long enough, when the ball leaves the foot, rises up in the air, painting that beautiful arc into the stadium sky, gettting longer and longer, you realize it will travel far enough to reach the striker, nice R2 close collect or double press R1, you move towards goal, only you and the keeper, you see the opportunity, hold your breath, aim, R2, shot... only to miss by a few inches, wich reminds you that you’re still playing full manual and need to play more! :LOVE:

My main struggle with manual passing is to understand how much impact the stats have. I´m relly used to PA1 and I see a lot of individuality, but playing manual, although very nice and realistic, it makes me feel I don´t have the player stats making an impact. Thoughts?
I was gonna ask this. But my feeling is the other way around. I have the impression that pass support off is not full manual. I can still feel the difference between my defenders and my number 10 when making a pass. Also, I'm pretty sure the game still slightly adjusts the pass sometimes, which is perfect for me as I want the stats to matter. Does any of you guys share that feeling?

I was gonna ask this. But my feeling is the other way around. I have the impression that pass support off is not full manual. I can still feel the difference between my defenders and my number 10 when making a pass. Also, I'm pretty sure the game still slightly adjusts the pass sometimes, which is perfect for me as I want the stats to matter. Does any of you guys share that feeling?
Yeah, I've always been Team "Manual Makes Attributes Meaningless", but after persisting with manual for a few days on 2020, it's clear to me that I was wrong and PA0 is not fully manual.

(Otherwise I would be missing a LOT more passes - you can use the manual pass modifier, which is R1 or R2 by default I think, to see the "actual" manual line and compare it with your PA0 pass.)

I also felt the AI did actually react to your control settings, and that pass accuracy was lower. UNTIL, I played the team at the bottom of the league and they ended the first half with 94% pass accuracy. Now I'm not so sure.

On manual, I can't play with the freedom I should be able to, having decent players. Matches don't look like real Premier League or Championship matches - they look like slow, careful, laggy kickarounds with no special moments. (On PA1+, they're all basketball games, counters back and forth and back and forth. Neither is good. IMO.)

The game (sometimes) adds a second's lag to your input on any input method - add the delay of manual passing to that and it feels a million miles from real football to me.

Yes, it feels great to pull off a through pass and know it was (mostly) all you, and the same when scoring (I scored a goal that wouldn't be possible on assisted shooting, from a tight angle, right into the corner, and it felt great).

But is it football, only choosing easy passes and giving away possession constantly (every match)? When you're a high quality team? I don't think so.

Full manual might be fun - but it's not football (or even realism). It's something else. Just like eSports football IS NOT football. Fun, maybe. But no representation of what professional football is.

Back
Top Bottom