Le Championnat

jamie_mack said:
Bartez banned for three months for spitting at someone in a friendly! :shock:

Is that in a Int'l match? I think thats a bit stupid, look how many times Diouf don it!

Anyways his career is over!

pk9 said:
congrats to lyon 4 in a row thats marvelous now pls sell essien to united lol

It's the same problem all years, the best players go to other clubs in europe...
Congrat to Lyon, go to the legend with 4 titles in 4 years with St. Etienne and Marseille.

Champion's League for :
Lyon, Lille (Monaco in qualifying round)

UEFA for :
Rennes (Marseille, St. Etienne & Lens in Intertoto)

Go to Ligue 2 :
Istres, Caen & Bastia

Go to Ligue 1:
Nancy, Le Mans & Troyes

Auxerre vs Sedan in coupe de France final for place in UEFA.

Last edited:
The new season kicks off on friday. Any predictions as to who will win the league? (it might not be Lyon this time ;) ) I reckon PSG will get off to a better start this time. I tipped them last season, after making what i thought were some good signings. Kalou and Dhorasoo this season could make all the difference.

Last edited:
Hi mate

cant be any worse really cant it!

This is a good preview......

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=337629&cc=5739

Five in a row or no?Alex ChickLyon's seemingly easy dominance of French football was given a jolt when coach Paul Le Guen quit at the end of last season.

The 41-year-old oversaw some of the most stylish, attacking football in Europe and created an indomitable team spirit, yet still walked away. The pressure is on the more pragmatic Gérard Houllier to deliver a fifth consecutive championship.

Elsewhere, Paris Saint-Germain have undergone their usual summer revamp, while the wholesale changes continue at Marseille. But the smart money could be on Monaco, who have eschewed their usual big-name loan signings to make some important improvements and set themselves for a concerted title challenge.

Soccernet runs the rule over all twenty Ligue 1 contenders ahead of the opening weekend of the season:

Thanks for that mate. Indeed there is the French offshoot of the 'Football Italia' website, which is quite good too. Find it here

I'm interested to know where Coridon will go, having been released from PSG. He has a cultured foot. Still a useful player. Great goal in the CL last season :lol:

Last edited:
Can't wait for start of Ligue 1 this weekend guys! :mrgreen:

Been waiting for a while.. and once the first league starts.. then its not hard to wait for others ;) but too bad I can only get 1 match per week of this ligue now and another one with French commentary.

This week it's gonna be Le Man vs. Lyon and to be honest though I think Lyon still has quality to win the league and best squad .. the fact that Gerrard Houllier is there now has made other team's chances a hell of a lot more likely to have success! I think Monaco might win it but we'll see i hope it's still Lyon! :D

Yes. Houllier is great at making good players bad, and/or ruining their careers.

Wow guys excited as hell about new season as always!

Read the preview and overall i'm impressed.. they seem to know what they're talking about most of the time and I only don't agree with few things.

I think Sochaux are in big trouble this season.. could even finish worse than 13th that Soccernet suggests and find themselves in relegation battle after a bad summer for them.

Key players: Jeremy Mathieu, Wilson Oruma, Santos, Monsareau have all left and these 4 were basically the backside of this team and what made them a better than avg team cuz all are high quality but still Sochaux still have magic of dribbling/skills of Joaod Zairi and youngster Jeremy Menez and Illan up front but will it be enough after getting rid of your best defender, 2 midfielder and striker and replacing with nowhere near same quality players??? Also losing a coach that I don't rate so highly but think is descent.. in Guy Lacombe??

I think this is gonna be a troubled season for Sochuax and defintely a bottom half finish but we'll see I guess... Philip Brunel (Ex-Lille captain) is a good signing but he's not Jeremy Mathieu and Jeremy is a godsend.. that man is as versatile as it gets and can be playing in many top teams in world right now as he's blessed with same determination/stamina/work rate/teamwork of Gerrard and never stops running and he does have a vicious left foot and descent enough skills to be a competitive DMF for any team and can also fill in as LB or LM or OM and CM.

Also St. Etienne under Ellie Baup I think won't do worse than last season and finish 10th.. I think they'll be in top 8 somewhere and Frederic Piquionne who possesses impressive skills/technique for such big man is now a permanent member of St. Etienne squad and not just on loan ;)

Sable, Zokora, and all other key players remain with few additions as well so i think it'll be another successful season for France's most successul side historically!

Auxurre wont be the attractive, everybody's 2nd fav team in France either naymore I think due to Guy Roux's departure and arrival of Santini :( I think they'll become a mid-table club who'll finish around 10th spot from now on for a few years unless real changes start to happen.

Again PSG, Marseille both have quality squad to challenge for title but due to controversy, too much pressure, and not amazing coaches I don't think either will win title again despite huge expectations. Their squads are certainly good enough but I think this year Monaco under Deschamp's 3rd or 4th season I think dunno for sure might taste title and Lyon finish 2nd or 3rd! but it will be a tight and exciting race up until last few weeks like usual in France :) (except last year of course)

Hi chaps, can anyone tell me why Nantes have let Bagayoko go to Nice on a seasons loan ??!?

Also are Marseille likely to partner Luyindula & Niang upfront or will one of them be on the bench ?

Proff, your talking about his flying backheel v Porto ? I was watching that at my (future) mother in lawas house in Madeira - quality finish. Needless to say the result didnt go down to well over there!

So annoyed that Eurosport dropped their live coverage last season. Used to watch it on sat afternoons which was quality, think Setanta have live matches but can't really afford that and Prem+. C4's coverage is a joke. the whole match "as live" at 3am Sunday morning, might as well not bother really cos the 30min roundup is just what u get on Eurogoals anyway really.

db

That sucks.. anyways i'm excited! :D

Anybody play French league fantasy or know good one?? I never tried this fantasy stuff but might now if i understand what it's about and what's the point ;)

take care.

PSG did well against Metz then (4-1.) I think Kalou is going to help them a lot this season.

French Prefer Marseille

Marseille are still far and away France’s most popular football club according to figures from a new nationwide poll released on Sunday.

The poll revealed that the 1993 European Champions are still France’s number one loved team attracting 18% of the country’s population to its ranks.

Quadruple champions Lyon have moved into second place – ahead of Paris Saint-Germain – on the back of their recent successes but are still a long way behind the Mediterranean coast rivals on 11%

PSG are third with 10% of the population (around six million people), ahead of Auxerre, 5%, Nantes and Saint-Etienne (4%), followed by Bordeaux, Lens, Metz and Monaco (3%).

So there you have it. Marseille are the most popular side in France. Each to their own :)

Back
Top Bottom