Indie Music - Old and New

Sorry DJ but Oasis is everything what indie bands should not be...i would call them a post factum dinosaur rock band.What they consider shocking has been done millions of times better by bands like The Who, Led Zeppelin, the Stooges and the Stones. And their music was much, much better. I can't remember one good album from Oasis...they had a couple of half decent ones (What's the story morning glory springs to my mind). And if you hear Ryan Adams' cover of Wonderwall than you realise how bad Oasis are...well it's only what i think...
Blur at least were a band that reïnvented themselves a couple of times, although i prefer Damon Albarn projects after Blur: Gorillaz and the Mali record (can't remember the title, but it's a wonderfull album).

I think the Gallaghers are assholes to be honest. Very arrogant. One time Noel said that if the Beatles werent around, Oasis would have been the biggest band around.

Sorry DJ but Oasis is everything what indie bands should not be...i would call them a post factum dinosaur rock band.What they consider shocking has been done millions of times better by bands like The Who, Led Zeppelin, the Stooges and the Stones. And their music was much, much better. I can't remember one good album from Oasis...they had a couple of half decent ones (What's the story morning glory springs to my mind). And if you hear Ryan Adams' cover of Wonderwall than you realise how bad Oasis are...well it's only what i think...
Blur at least were a band that reïnvented themselves a couple of times, although i prefer Damon Albarn projects after Blur: Gorillaz and the Mali record (can't remember the title, but it's a wonderfull album).

Little bit harsh on Oasis Gerd - I think they were a pretty important band when they first arrived on the scene (in England, at any rate). True they sound very dated now, and as people they are laughable, but when they first appeared they put an end to the conveyor belt of mindless girl and boy bands that were heaped on us. For that reason alone I look on them fondly.

But they're crap now, no question. ;)

Well Terry, here in Belgium there are literally dozens of bands who are better than Oasis have ever been. Not to mention other non-Anglo Saxon countries...
Sometimes it's a litle bit disappointing that fantastic bands that aren't native English speakers hardly have any chance to become a litle bit bigger. In the 80's whe had an unbelievable good band in Belgium: TC Matic. They were support act at European tours of both PIL and the Simple Minds and they were far, far better than those Brittish bands but they never stood a chance...there are dozens of similar examples...

Another example is the swiss singer songwriter Stephan Eicher (when of my all-time favourites) who sings in French, German, Schweisser Deutsch, Italian and English and who is a truly big artist...how many people in Great Brittain have ever heard of him????

Can give you a couple of other examples:

The Scene (Dutch)
Serge Gainsbourg (French)
Jacques Dutronc (French)
Jean-Louis Murat (French)
Hedningarna (Swedish)
Einsturzende Neubauten (German)
dEUS (Belgian)

Last edited:
Oasis copied the Beatles? Sure.. but the whole music industry is based on copying styles.

Foals are ok but I prefer Pete & The Pirates. Their new album is amazing.

Well Terry, here in Belgium there are literally dozens of bands who are better than Oasis have ever been. Not to mention other non-Anglo Saxon countries...

I don't doubt it Gerd! But Oasis seemed to match the mood of a lot of people in the UK at the time - that's why they were important here. I didn't know they were big anywhere else.

A few European bands have done well here but I can't comment on the ones you mention. I'll have a listen and let you know what I think.

The other reason they don't make it here is that this country is stuffed to the gills with moron's who can't handle anything in a foreign language of course. ;)

The other reason they don't make it here is that this country is stuffed to the gills with moron's who can't handle anything in a foreign language of course. ;)

That's a tad exagerated, but i do notice that quite a few native speakers from world languages are not inclined to try different cultures...

I remember one guy who once said that he hated me because i purposely claimed to love obscure bands...most of the bands or singers i mention here are quite big in Europe...they are only obscure for people who are narrow minded...

But of course there are dozens of great Brittish and American bands...

Ok Gerd, the great music experiment begins here!

Recommend me a TC Matic album, a Stephan Eicher album and a dEUS album. Pretty sure I can pick them all up on Amazon.

TC Matic: TC Matic or Compil Complet (best of)
Stepahn Eicher: Louanges or Hotel*s (then one with the bonus disc) (best of)
dEUS: Worst case Scenario or The Ideal Crash

Great idea by the way Terry...

Last edited:

gerd i love you, so true

Gerd, bit disappointed you didn't pick "my sister is my clock"!

I will probably get that one too just because of the title!

Nice thread! :D

Hmm, indie rock bands I'm into...

The Fratellis
Gogol Bordello
The Shins
Kings of Leon
Radiohead (now they're as indie as it gets right? :) )
The Killers
Strokes
Graham Coxon
Franz Ferdinand
Arctic Monkeys
The Long Blondes
Kaiser Chiefs

Glad to see someone mentioned Elliott Smith. The man is the master, my hero!

I also have a band, currently involved in the process of recording. Maybe I'll share with you guys when it's done!

We Are Scientists were awesome tonight! I was literally 2 meters away from them and could've grabbed their legs. Great venue of only about 150 people! Very close and great quality.

Gerd, bit disappointed you didn't pick "my sister is my clock"!

That's the only one i don't have Terry. i don't think it's a full album. If i remember well, it was a weird "interludium" between Worst Case Scenario and "In a bar under the sea"...
Now that you mention it, i will buy him this evening from I-tunes. Also dEUS latest single is out (forgot the name of the single). Will buy that one too. The new full-CD comes out on april the 18th...

If you would really like dEUS, there are a couple of fantastic spin-offs too:

Rudy Trouvé left the band after the first album and had lots of great bands:
Dead Man Ray - Gore Slut - Kiss My Jazz - The Love Substitutes and The Rudy Trouvé Sextet: all very weird bands. The one i prefer is the least weird of them all: Dead Man Ray.

After the second album Stef Kamil Carlens left (but he still does backing vocals on several other albums, the hardcore dEUS fans were big fans of Stef Kamil). He stated Moondog Junior which became Zita Swoon afterwards. People interested should buy their live album (without audience): A band in a box (fantastic).

Other dEUS related bands:
Evil Superstars (group from current guitar player Mauro Pawlovski) - Mitsubishi Jackson (also with Pawlovski)

Magnus: Tom Barman's other band, a dance project with CJ Bolland

Millionaire: the band of Tim Van Haemel who now and then plays guitar with dEUS. Queens of the Stone Age are big fans of this band.

And then there's is the accoustic live album of Tom Barman with Bach pianist Tom Van Nueten.

Rudy Trouvé is also a well known painter
Stef Kamil Carlens designs clothes
And Tom Barman has also written and directed a great movie: "Anyway the wind Blows".

This post is real propaganda or PR...sorry i got carried away.

Last edited:
Ok Gerd, "Worst Case Scenario" was delivered today. 2 listens so far and really like it. Suds & soda is awesome - seems like I've heard it before. Was it a hit over here do you know?

In Belgium Suds and Soda is better known than Smells Like Teen Spirit...this is vintage dEUS: the violin and then Barman and Carlens singing...
I think it never was a hit, but it was a cult hit which was constantly on the radio...Worst Case Scenario's got raving reviews in the UK in magazines like NME(in fact it was only after these raving reviews that people in Belgium started to notice dEUS..typically...) and maybe Suds and Soda had much air play...i don't know...

Yup i know Novastar...in fact he's called Joost Zweegers and he's a born Dutch (from Sittard). But he lives for years in Belgium and he became well known over here.
Another Belgian "band" that would be world famous if American or Brittish...
If you like Novastar, you should also like Ozark Henry...Bowie is a huge fan...

Parkway Drive
This is Hell
Rise and Fall
Merauder
Mostly post-hardcore, metal influenced type of stuff although I do like the occasional St. Germain and others

OOPS, Terry what a shame...because you were so open minded to try them...i'm really sorry, feel a litle bit guilty.

Eicher is one of my absolute favourites...if you have Louanges listen to Clear My Throat and Campari Soda..i think both are fantastic songs...

Ok, Eicher and me are getting on better now. I think it's not really my type of music but there are a few good listens in there.

TC Matic though, not a big fan!

Any other recommendations?

Hedningarna: swedish folk with dance beats. Karelia Visa is one of the best albums of the 90's...they also have a best off...they are one of my alltime favourite bands...(but watch out after TC-Matic and Eicher).

Jean-Louis Murat: french singer-songwriter. Very, very good...the album i like most is Lilith (a double album).

Yo La Tengo: everything, but Prisoners of Love is a great compilation to start with.

The Frames: Irish band, by far the best Irish band, much better than U2. I can recommend all their albums

Zita Swoon: A band in a box

Dead Man Ray: any album...

Muggison: the Icelandic Beck (listen before you buy it)

MUM: Icelandic electronica mixed with accoustic instruments (listen before you buy it)

Gerd, a very odd thing has happened. I really, really like the Stephan Eicher album. Favourite track is probably Démon or Louanges.

I guess it took a few listens. Reminds me a bit of Bonnie Raitt/Marc Cohn (but a European version).

****Don't get your hopes up for TC Matic though!****

Back
Top Bottom