Game of the Year 2020

bsmaff

International
11 August 2003
Hertfordshire
Exeter City
Although 2020 might not have been an amazing year when it comes to games.
I have not played through and completed as many games in a year, as I have done this year.

Since the UK lockdown started at the end of March, to keep myself busy I have gone through and completed for me anyway a large number of games.

Resident Evil 7 - 5/10
SpiderMan - 7/10 - Great game in the vein of the Arkham games, just not as good and the poor low res textures, completely ruin the immersion for me.
Resident Evil 3 - 7/10 - Not as good as the Resident Evil 2 remake which was my GOT last year. Too linear and boss battles were too predictable and staged.
Last of Us Part 2 - 8/10 - The best game of the year for me and worthy of the game of the year tags, just not the absolute classic the original was.
Uncharted 4 - 8/10 - Narrowly pipped by Last of Us 2 for me

There is probably even more I have missed of the list, but I remember completing the ones above.
So me personally, I have been going through what are widely considered the best games of the previous generation - Except Resident Evil 7, that was just shit, but wanted to play it.

Last of Us 2 for me was probably the best game of the year.
It was more of the same from the original, and whether or not you agreed with the way they took the story, it was a great game, just not an absolute masterpiece like the original.

Now that I am working from home the next few days, will play a few more games starting with the new SpiderMan.

I am aware non of my list were really released this year, but apart from Football Manager and Ultimate Street Football 21, there isn't many games I have played which were actually released this year.

The Long Dark for me. Found out about it through XBOX Gamepass & loved every second of it during the first 1-2 Months when COVID hit.

Everything else was just meh and forgettable for me.

My favorite game of this year defenitely AC Valhalla! But I haven't finished it. Because I wait for next year to hopefully a little bit more luck to buy a new GPU.
(so please, no spoiler from the game)

These graphics and the fighting feeling so great. And I have realy much fun with it.

Two GPU games for me in PC:

Microsoft Flight Simulator : I'm just in awe at the scenery. Love just kicking back and taking a flight that I've taken in real life. Watching the sunset as I fly by my house on route to the Florida Keys.

Crusader Kings 3: Needed a piece of land but belonged to the French who hated me. I could've steam rolled them with army. Instead I secretly murdered the husband (tragic "accident"), and romanced the widow. After she became my lover, she just gave it to me. Wife got mad so I sent her to the dungeon to rot.

Old GPU game but forza 4 is quite fun. And obviously FIFA 16 best sports game of '20

Actually found this from last year and previous years.

Rules - Only 1 rule
Xbox - PS4 Game of the Year must be an exclusive

Overall Game of the Year:-

PS4 Game of the Year:-

Xbox Game of the Year:-

PC Game of the Year:-

Switch Game of the Year:-

Best Graphics:-

Best Story:-

Best sports game:-

Biggest Disappointment:-

Most Excited Game 2021:-

Last edited:
Last of Us Part 2

Last of Us Part 2

Very, very easy winner this year.
Microsoft Flight Simulator

Sill debating this one, as Uncharted 4 would probably win this for me, although it is not from 2020.
So on that basis would have to go with Last of Us Part 2.

Best Sports Game:-
Just because, I played it so much during lock down..
F1 2020, after going back it is a massive improvement over 2019, and it fixed so many issues with the OSD.
Only gripe with it, the AI is incredibly poor and no matter what skill level you put the game on, it is has more collisions than Wrekfest.

Mafia 1 Remake.
Everything that was so good in the original, was played with and fucked up in the remake.
The developers completely missed the ball, with what made the original so unique and gripping, but making a poor GTA clone with quantity not quality their main aim.
They also made a few changes to the main story, which again very bizarre decisions and one thing that was changed still makes me want to go shoot the developers with a Tommy Gun.

Can I also put FIFA, although not sure if this counts as a disappointment, when the gameplay was as expected.

Not sure about 2021, there are a few games I am looking forward too.
Resident Evil Village - Although the last Resident Evil FPS, was poor.
Medium - Not sure if this is the one I am thinking of, but basically the Silent Hill rip off coming to PC and Xbox.

Unchartered 4 is 4 years old? Or has it just came out on a certain platform?

Ghosts of Tsushima for me was my fav game, obviously there are a few late games I've not played yet, so maybe subject to change. LOU2 was good, but story kinda spoiled it in the end.

FD

Unchartered 4 is 4 years old? Or has it just came out on a certain platform?

Ghosts of Tsushima for me was my fav game, obviously there are a few late games I've not played yet, so maybe subject to change. LOU2 was good, but story kinda spoiled it in the end.

FD

Yes Uncharted 4 is from many years ago, but only got round to playing it this year.
During the first lockdown, I was furloughed, so basically completed every PS4 game I ever wanted to play.
Uncharted 4 was probably the best game I played this year, and if it wasn't for the poor driving parts of it, would of been a 9/10 game.

Yes Uncharted 4 is from many years ago, but only got round to playing it this year.
During the first lockdown, I was furloughed, so basically completed every PS4 game I ever wanted to play.
Uncharted 4 was probably the best game I played this year, and if it wasn't for the poor driving parts of it, would of been a 9/10 game.

Really enjoyed Uncharted 4. Great memories of completing it ( I rarely finish games). Holds a special place in my memory as after a couple days playing it, my wife went into labor and while waiting for contractions I couldnt sleep so I hammered this game at midnight until it was time to go to hospital.

Dont want to deviate from this thread topic but how does rise of tomb raider compare to this? I bought it on sale not long ago

I think the Tomb Raider games have been excellent, up there with Unchartered for me, UC still gets the nod, but TR have been a good series of games released.

FD

The first two Tomb Raider games were really good.
They don't have much of a story, but the gameplay more than makes up for it, if your playing on PC, there is nothing more fun than taking everyone out with the crossbow.
Just don't bother with Shadow of the Tomb Raider, found that really quite poor.

But definitely gameplay wise the Tomb Raider games are as good as the Uncharted games, and maybe even the combat is slightly better - Although this could be down to I played Tomb Raider on PC and combat is so much better with a mouse of keyboard.
Story wise though, there is absolutely no comparison.

Last edited:
I have bought the first 2 Tomb Raiders and fallen off both, even if I don't find anything particularly wrong with them. Bit of a shame, really.

Last of Us Part 2

Last of Us Part 2

Very, very easy winner this year.
Microsoft Flight Simulator

Sill debating this one, as Uncharted 4 would probably win this for me, although it is not from 2020.
So on that basis would have to go with Last of Us Part 2.

Best Sports Game:-
Just because, I played it so much during lock down..
F1 2020, after going back it is a massive improvement over 2019, and it fixed so many issues with the OSD.
Only gripe with it, the AI is incredibly poor and no matter what skill level you put the game on, it is has more collisions than Wrekfest.

Mafia 1 Remake.
Everything that was so good in the original, was played with and fucked up in the remake.
The developers completely missed the ball, with what made the original so unique and gripping, but making a poor GTA clone with quantity not quality their main aim.
They also made a few changes to the main story, which again very bizarre decisions and one thing that was changed still makes me want to go shoot the developers with a Tommy Gun.

Can I also put FIFA, although not sure if this counts as a disappointment, when the gameplay was as expected.

Not sure about 2021, there are a few games I am looking forward too.
Resident Evil Village - Although the last Resident Evil FPS, was poor.
Medium - Not sure if this is the one I am thinking of, but basically the Silent Hill rip off coming to PC and Xbox.

Uncharted 4 is a cool game, but I believe Naughty Dogs game design is outdated also (but hey, whose isn't? I can find big flaws in Red Dead Redemption 2, even still, it's a damn right amazing game)...

Haven't played TLOU2, only the 1st one (awesome game). Will wait for a sale to get that one... same on this new Spiderman (loved the original).

Enjoyed Ghost of Tsushima, but the combat is repetitive and it's a kind of a short game...

Played Mafia 1 and couldn't agree more... It could've been so much better. But hard to pick it since Cyberpunk 2077 is not only biggest disappointment of the year... It's pretty much the biggest disappointment of the decade.

I am actually struggling to remember what I played this year.

Overall Game of the Year:- Ghost of Tsushima, Bit of a cheat, this, as I only got in at Christmas eve, and haven't even finished the first chapter. But as substance goes, it's the best single player experience of the year for me.

PS4 Game of the Year: Ghost of Tsushima

Xbox Game of the Year:-

Switch Game of the Year:-Mario Odyssey (what can I say, I got in late)

Best Graphics:- Ghost of Tsushima, only complaint for me is that the day/night cycle is a bit too fast. Looks stunning.

Best Story:- Probably Ghost, although I'm not that far into it.

Best sports game:- PES 2021, an improvement on 2020, as it was supposed to only be a season update, it was a pleasant surprise.

Biggest Disappointment:- Spelunky 2. I still like it, but the ramp up from Spelunky is just too steep. It was already mad hard, why make it a lot harder?

Most Excited Game 2021:- Probably next gen PES 2022.

Honorable mentions:
Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, a lot of fun with a friend.
Two Hitman 2 DLC levels I didn't realize came out. Probably even came out in 2019. Played just before Christmas, and where a lot of fun.

Back
Top Bottom