FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

Yeah erm after playing I think I can tell that my inputs on the Dual Shock react quicker in PES 6 than both new titles. When was the last time you played it? No one on earth can think PES 6 was unresponsive. Go fire it up and you'll be amazed at how much more control you have over both current PES & Fifa.

I played it a couple of days ago. My PS2 sits lovingly on top of my PS4 thanks. And I didn't say PES 6 was unresponsive in the slightest. You claimed it was more responsive than these newer titles. It just isn't.

watching some of the latest FIFA videos in our FIFA thread... i just cant overlook the ball + physics! oh man...
i'm so spoiled by the PES system, i guess!
slow FIFA gameplay looked a little bit better than the demo, imo... but those ball movements.... :THINK:

i see myself buying it... but... :ANX:

This got me thinking...

I haven't watched the video and I know EA can do a lot more with Career Mode than they do, however as this is a comparison thread, Career Mode is 100 times better than Master League. All the people that complain about Career Mode lacking depth should play Master League for a bit then go back and tell us again how bad Career Mode is.

I know that being bad is not mutually exclusive however whenever I play CM, usually after a few weeks of ML prior to FIFA's release, it's like a breath of fresh air. I absolutely love actually getting to play the training part. Breaks it up a bit and you can actually feel like you're developing players.

The difference between CM and ML is night and day.

I haven't watched the video and I know EA can do a lot more with Career Mode than they do, however as this is a comparison thread, Career Mode is 100 times better than Master League. All the people that complain about Career Mode lacking depth should play Master League for a bit then go back and tell us again how bad Career Mode is.
I couldn't agree more, even though I'm disappointed (and vocally so on Twitter, because I really do feel like it may not get any more updates).

We're spoilt, though. I've just seen someone saying that weather is "broken" because setting a game between 2pm and 6pm results in the same level of sunshine. (I'm assuming it's a PES fan.)

Utterly ridiculous. In my opinion...

I know that being bad is not mutually exclusive however whenever I play CM, usually after a few weeks of ML prior to FIFA's release, it's like a breath of fresh air. I absolutely love actually getting to play the training part. Breaks it up a bit and you can actually feel like you're developing players.

The difference between CM and ML is night and day.

This has been my view all along although it’s dissapointing they didnt make any huge changes, they did add to it and didn’t take anything away from this mode it’s still great and the best out there.

I haven't watched the video and I know EA can do a lot more with Career Mode than they do, however as this is a comparison thread, Career Mode is 100 times better than Master League.

Absolutely. That's the undeniable truth.
In fact I remember I said something like that a few weeks ago when there was a lot of heat regarding the lack of improvements in Career Mode (and EA's Social Media Managers kept saying the UEFA licenses were an addition all by themselves) and a lot of people here went for my jugular. But it's a fact. Even if FIFA does nothing else for Career Mode in 3 years, it will still be better and with a lot more depth than what Master League will be in 3 years.

Even if FIFA does nothing else for Career Mode in 3 years, it will still be better and with a lot more depth than what Master League will be in 3 years.

I don't know, really? If you updated the UI in ML so that it's as modern and as snappy as CM, and you fixed the transfer issues, does CM really offer more depth?

This is the first year in a while that I played ML, so there's people in here who know it way better than me, but when it comes to depth of the mode I didn't really feel like it was that far behind CM. What am I missing?

I don't know, really? If you updated the UI in ML so that it's as modern and as snappy as CM, and you fixed the transfer issues, does CM really offer more depth?

This is the first year in a while that I played ML, so there's people in here who know it way better than me, but when it comes to depth of the mode I didn't really feel like it was that far behind CM. What am I missing?
Point is they won't do that though will they?
I imagine that in three years time both modes will be almost identical to what they are now.

The one thing that adds depth to me is actually playing the training mode and developing the players yourself; not having ridiculous regens of retired players and the immersion that makes it feel like more than a bunch of friendlies in random stadiums.

Point is they won't do that though will they?
I imagine that in three years time both modes will be almost identical to what they are now.

The one thing that adds depth to me is actually playing the training mode and developing the players yourself; not having ridiculous regens of retired players and the immersion that makes it feel like more than a bunch of friendlies in random stadiums.

I don't think that is the point. I mean, the UI is horrible in PES but that's got nothing to do with the depth of the mode. The transfer and team selection issues in PES are really bad, but FIFA ain't perfect in that department either, and that's more about authenticity than depth anyways.

So if we're just comparing the amount of features, does CM really offer more depth? Not sure about that.

I'm not saying ML is better than CM. No, I definitely prefer CM. But it's a pretty shallow experience and I'm not sure ML doesn't offer more depth.

CM would still have more depth. Like A LOT more, man.
Transfers are broken way beyong the budgets or players going to laughable teams. Transfers alone are shallow and lacking depth. And the same goes for every single point you inspect and compare to both modes.
Now, I can accept some people here think CM could be better or it has been lacking more additions. But I cannot accept a comparison between ML and CM. There's no comparison possible to begin with. Master League is not only shallow, but it's broken as well in so many ways. From the actual gameplay which is very different to the one you play in an normal Exhibition match (and it has been this way since probably PES 2014) to everything around it.

So yeah, CM will still be miles ahead of ML in a few years.
Unless of course, Konami delete ML because "according to surveys, people aren't playing ML anymore".

Last edited:
I don't think that is the point. I mean, the UI is horrible in PES but that's got nothing to do with the depth of the mode. The transfer and team selection issues in PES are really bad, but FIFA ain't perfect in that department either, and that's more about authenticity than depth anyways.

So if we're just comparing the amount of features, does CM really offer more depth? Not sure about that.

I'm not saying ML is better than CM. No, I definitely prefer CM. But it's a pretty shallow experience and I'm not sure ML doesn't offer more depth.
It is the point though. @Chuny said if FIFA did nothing for three years it'd still have more depth than ML. You gave ways they could improve it but the whole point is they won't.

You may disagree with some of it but I've given you a great example of how CM has more depth to it than ML in the fact that you can actually train the players and develop them yourself, directly. That's depth.

I haven't touched Master League in a decade. I'd have to be brain dead to play it again. Despite its niggles, FIFA Career is the main reason I play FIFA and not PES anymore.

Played fifa demo with a mate today. Then we played HvH on PES19.
Had a good time with both. They are a fair bit different though.
In pes you get a ton of time on the ball and a ton of space in midfield.
Fifa is a lot more compact and physical.
Side by side pes player models and weight are miles ahead of FIFA’s and I mean waaaaay ahead. I’m amazed no one at EA has headhunted the designer of pes models.
Passing and crossing , pes wins, shooting and heading fifa wins.
Keepers. Tough one. Pes have improved their keepers loads in last few years but there’s still some stupid animations that’s plagued the game for years, the diving forward and the jumping above the crossbar to catch a ball that’s going out for a goal kick.
FIFA’s keeper have all the animations but sometimes dive a little funny as well.
But FIFA’s presentation is way ahead and all round game plays that bit better.
Career mode beats ML. FIFA’s AI trounces Pes.
Fifa is the complete package and the finer details really shines through where as pes feels like half a game that could’ve been so close to perfection if they just had sorted out a few silly things.

Played fifa demo with a mate today. Then we played HvH on PES19.
Had a good time with both. They are a fair bit different though.
In pes you get a ton of time on the ball and a ton of space in midfield.
Fifa is a lot more compact and physical.
Side by side pes player models and weight are miles ahead of FIFA’s and I mean waaaaay ahead. I’m amazed no one at EA has headhunted the designer of pes models.
Passing and crossing , pes wins, shooting and heading fifa wins.
Keepers. Tough one. Pes have improved their keepers loads in last few years but there’s still some stupid animations that’s plagued the game for years, the diving forward and the jumping above the crossbar to catch a ball that’s going out for a goal kick.
FIFA’s keeper have all the animations but sometimes dive a little funny as well.
But FIFA’s presentation is way ahead and all round game plays that bit better.
Career mode beats ML. FIFA’s AI trounces Pes.
Fifa is the complete package and the finer details really shines through where as pes feels like half a game that could’ve been so close to perfection if they just had sorted out a few silly things.

And that's you comparing a demo to a full game!

It is the point though. @Chuny said if FIFA did nothing for three years it'd still have more depth than ML. You gave ways they could improve it but the whole point is they won't.

You may disagree with some of it but I've given you a great example of how CM has more depth to it than ML in the fact that you can actually train the players and develop them yourself, directly. That's depth.

I don't know. I'm still not convinced that CM has more depth. Does CM look better and function better? Absolutely. Is it a more authentic representation of leagues and competitions, etc? Absolutely. Are transfers more realistic? Absolutely. But does it actually provide a deeper experience? I'm not so sure. If it does, not by much.

Like with your training argument, I would counter that by saying that PES allows you to train players but just in a different way. In fact, in a way that I'd argue gives more personality to the players. Plus, training in FIFA is a bit of a cheat in that it's way too easy to create a team of super players through growth and training, and very quickly.

Not saying that the training feature is better in ML - I think both are pretty bad - but there is a comparable feature there that does deepen the experience.

Transfers have been brought up but I don't see how that adds to CM's depth. Yes it functions better than ML and it's FAR more authentic, but it doesn't provide a more in-depth experience than what's in CM. If it does, again not by much.

And ML at least does force you to rotate your squad, whereas in CM, unless you have a rare injury or the scheduling fucks you over and gives you three games in five days, you really never need to rotate your squad. Say what you will about PES's form system, and I'm highly critical, but at least it does make you rotate on the regular.

Again, I completely agree that CM is the better mode. But I'd say that's just because it's executed better, looks better, and functions better, not that it's necessarily a deeper experience.

Like with your training argument, I would counter that by saying that PES allows you to train players but just in a different way. In fact, in a way that I'd argue gives more personality to the players. Plus, training in FIFA is a bit of a cheat in that it's way too easy to create a team of super players through growth and training, and very quickly.

Not saying that the training feature is better in ML - I think both are pretty bad - but there is a comparable feature there that does deepen the experience.
Not really though.
One lets you select an option and randomly generates a response rate to that option.
The other gives you the direct input into the response rate of the player.

Training is an after-thought in ML; in CM it's a mini-mode of it's own. That's the depth it adds, you literally have an additional feature that is absent in ML.

And ML at least does force you to rotate your squad, whereas in CM, unless you have a rare injury or the scheduling fucks you over and gives you three games in five days, you really never need to rotate your squad.
I'd disagree. I find myself having to rotate my squad fairly regularly in both games; plus when you increase injury frequency and severity in FIFA, you get a more realistic number of injuries that furthers the need for squad management. I haven't had an injury in ML for about 4 years.

Not really though.
One lets you select an option and randomly generates a response rate to that option.
The other gives you the direct input into the response rate of the player.

Training is an after-thought in ML; in CM it's a mini-mode of it's own. That's the depth it adds, you literally have an additional feature that is absent in ML.

I'd disagree. I find myself having to rotate my squad fairly regularly in both games; plus when you increase injury frequency and severity in FIFA, you get a more realistic number of injuries that furthers the need for squad management. I haven't had an injury in ML for about 4 years.

Wait, what's random? If I choose a player to add a particular skill to, how is that random? Sorry, haven't played ML much in so long so maybe I'm missing something.

With CM, if you enjoy the player training then I could understand why you feel the way you do. Personally I hate it. The idea of playing skill games for five players in between each match - or each week, whatever it is - is terrible IMO. I don't want to play fucking skill games, over and over again.

And if you're not playing the skill games, what's there to it? For me it's just cheat mode, in which you can essentially make a top level player way too quickly. And what I find - and again others may play it differently - is that I'm just doing the same thing over and over again. And usually training the same exact attributes, the same exact skill game, for all the same players of a particular position. That's not really what I'd call depth. I don't know... I guess I can understand why people might enjoy it but for me it's a crap player training mode, only slightly better than the crap cut scenes for negotiations. I guess it's better than PES's offering but I'm not sure it's better by enough to really matter.

In regards to rotating, last year in FIFA I rarely needed to rotate. No where near what I rotate in PES. Yeah you can fiddle with the injury slider but it's poorly implemented and finding the sweet spot is near impossible. (Meanwhile I've had 5 injuries in PES so far, though no longer than a couple weeks.)

And form as it's implemented in CM is problematic in that once I get on good form, I usually never drop down. My theory is that form is one of the biggest reasons why CM is too easy - once you get on a win streak and on good form, it's really really tough to both not lose and get on bad form. So again, in my experience I rarely need to rotate so I like that PES at least forces you to do so, even if it's a fake and poorly implemented system.

Wait, what's random? If I choose a player to add a particular skill to, how is that random? Sorry, haven't played ML much in so long so maybe I'm missing something.
It's random as you have no direct input on how quickly or slowly the player reacts to the training and learns the skill; the game decides. In CM, the player's attributes increase directly in line with my performance in the skill games. If I do badly, they don't develop as quickly.

With CM, if you enjoy the player training then I could understand why you feel the way you do. Personally I hate it. The idea of playing skill games for five players in between each match - or each week, whatever it is - is terrible IMO. I don't want to play fucking skill games, over and over again.
And that's fine; if you don't like it then you don't like it but it doesn't mean that it doesn't add depth to CM. It's there if you want it, as opposed to nothing in ML.

And if you're not playing the skill games, what's there to it? For me it's just cheat mode, in which you can essentially make a top level player way too quickly. And what I find - and again others may play it differently - is that I'm just doing the same thing over and over again. And usually training the same exact attributes, the same exact skill game, for all the same players of a particular position. That's not really what I'd call depth. I don't know...
Well that's down to how you use it, it's not the game's fault. There are several skills games per training type and you can mix up the players each time. You choosing not to can't be blamed on CM.

I guess I can understand why people might enjoy it but for me it's a crap player training mode, only slightly better than the crap cut scenes for negotiations. I guess it's better than PES's offering but I'm not sure it's better by enough to really matter.
It's better enough to matter as the alternative is literally nothing. It adds depth that ML doesn't. Same with the negotiations; it's far from the greatest system but it adds more than the alternative.

In regards to rotating, last year in FIFA I rarely needed to rotate. No where near what I rotate in PES. Yeah you can fiddle with the injury slider but it's poorly implemented and finding the sweet spot is near impossible. (Meanwhile I've had 5 injuries in PES so far, though no longer than a couple weeks.)
Again, the game offers you the chance to change it to suit you with the sliders. I find I can get a fairly decent balance and have had the odd injury crisis. I haven't played this year's ML for long enough to notice any injuries, as I just couldn't bring myself to stick with it, however in years gone by there has been literally no injuries at all. Great that PES seem to have sorted it, however I've had a satisfactory number of injuries for years on FIFA.

And form as it's implemented in CM is problematic in that once I get on good form, I usually never drop down. My theory is that form is one of the biggest reasons why CM is too easy - once you get on a win streak and on good form, it's really really tough to both not lose and get on bad form. So again, in my experience I rarely need to rotate so I like that PES at least forces you to do so, even if it's a fake and poorly implemented system.
But that's pretty much how form works in real life, when you're on good form then you're more confident and have a gpod chance to carry on your run. However, that's where injuries and fatigue come in and change things. You rotate; you slip up; your form slips up. In PES, the form changes are just random. I had Mo Salah scoring three in four games and for the fifth game he had a downwards form arrow; makes no sense.

To conclude; I'm in no way saying that CM is fantastic. It leaves a lot to be desired, however in the spirit of a comparison thread, it is night and day the better of the two modes. For me, CM is 100x better than ML and has depth that keeps me playing it for most of the year; I can't even manage a week or so on ML and I, like many including probably yourself, have lived and breathed ML over the years. I'd play it through season after season but over the years it has regressed; features removed and now it's just a hollow shell with daft nicknames and a bunch of glorified exhibition matches. Feels so far from what made ML great; CM keeps me engaged, maybe not like ML used to at its peak, but still long enough for me to fully appreciate the game.

It's random as you have no direct input on how quickly or slowly the player reacts to the training and learns the skill; the game decides. In CM, the player's attributes increase directly in line with my performance in the skill games. If I do badly, they don't develop as quickly.

And that's fine; if you don't like it then you don't like it but it doesn't mean that it doesn't add depth to CM. It's there if you want it, as opposed to nothing in ML.

Well that's down to how you use it, it's not the game's fault. There are several skills games per training type and you can mix up the players each time. You choosing not to can't be blamed on CM.

It's better enough to matter as the alternative is literally nothing. It adds depth that ML doesn't. Same with the negotiations; it's far from the greatest system but it adds more than the alternative.

Again, the game offers you the chance to change it to suit you with the sliders. I find I can get a fairly decent balance and have had the odd injury crisis. I haven't played this year's ML for long enough to notice any injuries, as I just couldn't bring myself to stick with it, however in years gone by there has been literally no injuries at all. Great that PES seem to have sorted it, however I've had a satisfactory number of injuries for years on FIFA.

But that's pretty much how form works in real life, when you're on good form then you're more confident and have a gpod chance to carry on your run. However, that's where injuries and fatigue come in and change things. You rotate; you slip up; your form slips up. In PES, the form changes are just random. I had Mo Salah scoring three in four games and for the fifth game he had a downwards form arrow; makes no sense.

To conclude; I'm in no way saying that CM is fantastic. It leaves a lot to be desired, however in the spirit of a comparison thread, it is night and day the better of the two modes. For me, CM is 100x better than ML and has depth that keeps me playing it for most of the year; I can't even manage a week or so on ML and I, like many including probably yourself, have lived and breathed ML over the years. I'd play it through season after season but over the years it has regressed; features removed and now it's just a hollow shell with daft nicknames and a bunch of glorified exhibition matches. Feels so far from what made ML great; CM keeps me engaged, maybe not like ML used to at its peak, but still long enough for me to fully appreciate the game.

Fair enough. I think you're the first person I've heard that actually plays the skill games for player training, so good on you for that. Personally that's not how I want to spend my time, doing skill games, but I'll give you that if you do use it that way, then yes, player training in CM is a deeper experience than in ML.

But I wouldn't say it's not a problem with how I use it - I use it the way it makes the most sense. You're told which players have the most potential for growth, so in terms of reaping value from player growth, it makes sense to focus on those players. Meanwhile FIFA has always rewarded certain play styles and attributes more than others, so it makes sense just to focus on those. For CBs it really makes only sense to train their defensive attributes; wingers it's always pace and dribbling; strikers the finishing skill games, maybe pace and dribbling too; etc.

So for me, it's an extremely repetitive experience that is equally unrealistic. I mean this is like having a manager pick out five players from their squad and telling them to train while the rest sit on their asses between matches and do nothing. This is like a manager choosing five highly rated youngsters and turning them into world beaters within two years, no question asked, no doubts to whether they'll realize their potential. If that's not unrealistic and essentially a cheat, I don't know what is. Meh, too each's own I guess. For me it's a shitty system that if it wasn't there wouldn't bother me in the least and if anything would actually make CM a bit more challenging.

But beyond training, what else is there really? And when it comes to form, yes and no. There's nothing that you said that is wrong about form, but still the way it plays out in CM is totally unrealistic - you don't ever see a player IRL go through an entire season on form every single game but this is the case in CM, every time. Once I get a player on good form in CM, usually after the first few games, then he's on good form the entire season. And that's how it'll be for just about every player on the team. IRL how often would you go into a match with all players on the best form they could be? And that's every single match (or close to it).

So yes, the randomness of PES's form is unrealistic, but in the end the result is more realistic than CM because over the length of the year, ML captures the ups and downs better. Squad rotation/selection is such a big part of being a manager and in CM unless you pick up the odd injury or get fucked with unrealistic scheduling, there's zero reason to really ever rotate. Unless they change it so that getting and staying on good form is more difficult, all form is in CM is an attribute boost. Considering how easy CM has been in the last few years, that's the last thing it needs and it makes the experience shallower, not deeper.

Again, you're absolutely right that CM is better. Maybe I've been playing the mode so long I'm just pissed at how little depth has been added throughout the years. For me it remains such a shallow experience that captures very little of what managing a club is about, that it's tough for me to concede that there's much depth at all. Yes it looks 1,000 times better than ML, and yes it's implemented far better, but for me all my CMs are essentially the same, with very little variety and depth. If it is a deeper experience than ML, it ain't by much IMO.

Fair enough. I think you're the first person I've heard that actually plays the skill games for player training, so good on you for that. Personally that's not how I want to spend my time, doing skill games, but I'll give you that if you do use it that way, then yes, player training in CM is a deeper experience than in ML.

But I wouldn't say it's not a problem with how I use it - I use it the way it makes the most sense. You're told which players have the most potential for growth, so in terms of reaping value from player growth, it makes sense to focus on those players. Meanwhile FIFA has always rewarded certain play styles and attributes more than others, so it makes sense just to focus on those. For CBs it really makes only sense to train their defensive attributes; wingers it's always pace and dribbling; strikers the finishing skill games, maybe pace and dribbling too; etc.

So for me, it's an extremely repetitive experience that is equally unrealistic. I mean this is like having a manager pick out five players from their squad and telling them to train while the rest sit on their asses between matches and do nothing. This is like a manager choosing five highly rated youngsters and turning them into world beaters within two years, no question asked, no doubts to whether they'll realize their potential. If that's not unrealistic and essentially a cheat, I don't know what is. Meh, too each's own I guess. For me it's a shitty system that if it wasn't there wouldn't bother me in the least and if anything would actually make CM a bit more challenging.

But beyond training, what else is there really? And when it comes to form, yes and no. There's nothing that you said that is wrong about form, but still the way it plays out in CM is totally unrealistic - you don't ever see a player IRL go through an entire season on form every single game but this is the case in CM, every time. Once I get a player on good form in CM, usually after the first few games, then he's on good form the entire season. And that's how it'll be for just about every player on the team. IRL how often would you go into a match with all players on the best form they could be? And that's every single match (or close to it).

So yes, the randomness of PES's form is unrealistic, but in the end the result is more realistic than CM because over the length of the year, ML captures the ups and downs better. Squad rotation/selection is such a big part of being a manager and in CM unless you pick up the odd injury or get fucked with unrealistic scheduling, there's zero reason to really ever rotate. Unless they change it so that getting and staying on good form is more difficult, all form is in CM is an attribute boost. Considering how easy CM has been in the last few years, that's the last thing it needs and it makes the experience shallower, not deeper.

Again, you're absolutely right that CM is better. Maybe I've been playing the mode so long I'm just pissed at how little depth has been added throughout the years. For me it remains such a shallow experience that captures very little of what managing a club is about, that it's tough for me to concede that there's much depth at all. Yes it looks 1,000 times better than ML, and yes it's implemented far better, but for me all my CMs are essentially the same, with very little variety and depth. If it is a deeper experience than ML, it ain't by much IMO.
You need to rotate your squad in FIFA when you're playing Champions League or Europa League.

Okay...?

Being in European competition shouldn't be a prerequisite for needing to rotate your squad.
I see what you mean regarding the form arrows, but I think EA simply designed CM around big clubs and not around smaller ones. I'm just saying that it's a more realistic experience when playing with a big club.

Even if you don't partake in the skills training I still find it important to have them set up and sim when possible, good way to strengthen players in the areas you as a manager consider important and of course make your kids actually viable.

I think Konami really missed an opportunity here for me. On the pitch it plays the better football quiet easily in my opinion and is the best version since PES 6 but the shambles of the AI makes it infuriating to play. I have zero hope in Konami actually doing anything to rectify it. FIFA as usual is the better game overall but my god the passing is shocking.

Such a shame there is not another football game on the market.

ML was fine when you were 16 and RPG menus and dodgy text were part of games, it's 2018 though and ML still looks like a PS1 game, it's never been touched. It's just basic repetitive rubbish.

CM isn't perfect and itself has been largely untouched but they have made it a more user friendly experience and it's far more realistic and ultimately enjoyable. I mean we are talking about this against a game where players retire at 30 then are instantly put back in the game as 16 year old re gens. It's shocking

Same issues that have always been. PES players have individuality, fifa players are only faster or slower.... Fifa has amazing overall presentation and package. I also will say the shooting in fifa is weird, if you shoot it at the keeper its like on a rope. Both are good in there own way, but so far I have been losing tons of games as Dijon in ML and im enjoying the gameplay immensley. yes there are tons of flaws but PES has been pretty good this year

Back
Top Bottom