Fallout : New Vegas

Well some of them were big enough for me to be afraid ;) I guess the old big ones were smart enough to stay away from us ;) Was an awesome experience handfeeding kangaroos, sadly the zoo is now closed down :(

They have also brought in a lot more cooler missions that depend on being at places at the right time to spy on ppl or try and catch ppl in the act like they had in Oblivion.

Just finished the main story.

Pros:
Excellent game. Great story and a plenty to do. Loved the scenery, loved the characters and really enjoyed crafting new weapons and experimenting with ammo. For those wondering, it took me around 20 hours for the main story.

Cons:
A little tedious with the juttering and freezing towards the end and the loading times became annoying.

I chose to help Caesar in the end and killed Mr House and executed Benny myself. I also ignored the Yes Man as I didn't want to give him control. So pretty much ended the game on a really evil note - but I was interested to see whether Legions were like the Romans. They were :D.

Stand by the fact it's my GOTY - on quality and content alone it's worth it.

Have managed 5 minutes so far...having second thoughts bout my SPECIAL traits so going to redo. Sigh. Apparently luck isn't actually that important :(

I chose Small Frame and Good Natured, I think.

No idea why.

Just remember they are there forever, so choose wisely. Or don't choose any at all, which is what a lot of people do.

Have managed 5 minutes so far...having second thoughts bout my SPECIAL traits so going to redo. Sigh. Apparently luck isn't actually that important :(

Luck is very important for critical hits in V.A.T.S. and when pickpocketing or sneaking. I heard Luck also affects the likelihood of you getting better cards in games like caravan and blackjack.

By far the most important for the quests are Intelligence, Charisma and Strength/Endurance as they affect Speech, Science and Lockpick abilities.

Last edited:
Luck is very important for critical hits in V.A.T.S. and when pickpocketing or sneaking. I heard Luck also affects the likelihood of you getting better cards in games like caravan and blackjack.

By far the most important for the quests are Intelligence, Charisma and Strength/Endurance as they affect Speech, Science and Lockpick abilities.

I always load up luck and agility. I always do it with the focus on criticals, and gettign in many shots to do criticals

My favorite 2 new perks in this game require a barter of 70 so keep that in mind.

Long Haul: over-encumbered no longer prevents you from using fast travel.

Pack Rat: Items with a weight of two pounds or less now weigh half as much.

Crucial for Hardcore Mode

Wow, thanks for the advice - logged some time this weekend and it is superb. Am surprised how into I've gotten, given how much I played FO3 to death, and how similar this is. Tone is different, somehow less sinister and more 'fun' to play. Am trying a completely different type of character this time too, so maybe that's it.

Certainly enjoying it more than yelling at my AI teammates in Fifa!

It's a real problem. I'm fully addicted. Cleared out a random vault last night and felt like a champion. I don't know how it does it, but the game just sucks me in for hours at a time. Haven't even visited the main parts of the map yet, I like wondering around the sides.

Same here I'm loving it :) I really like how a weak weapon can be awesome when you use it right, I have the varmint rifle which on its own is pretty weak but slap a silencer and night scope on it and then a +5 critical kill chance perk and +5 critical kill chance beret + high stealth stat and you can get some very nice 1 shot headshot kills outside of vats :)

Same here I'm loving it :) I really like how a weak weapon can be awesome when you use it right, I have the varmint rifle which on its own is pretty weak but slap a silencer and night scope on it and then a +5 critical kill chance perk and +5 critical kill chance beret + high stealth stat and you can get some very nice 1 shot headshot kills outside of vats :)

Definitely. Am trying to go the whole game with a Cowboy hat and revolver. A .44 is the current fav. Good for regular combat, rubbish from distances though. Not sure I can find a scope for it, would look seriously funky.

Same here I'm loving it :) I really like how a weak weapon can be awesome when you use it right, I have the varmint rifle which on its own is pretty weak but slap a silencer and night scope on it and then a +5 critical kill chance perk and + high stealth stat and you can get some very nice 1 shot headshot kills outside of vats :)

I used the Varmint rifle a lot (mainly because of the amount of ammo I had and the accuracy of the thing). Brilliant with the +5 critical kill chance beret.

The Ratslayer is the unique weapon based on the Varmint rifle, and comes fully modded with silencer, scope and night vision. It's a superb gun.

Are there any mods for the hunting rifle? Nice and powerful but I'm missing the silencer that the varmint rifle has, I find the Service/Cowboy rifles pretty useless as their enclosed ironsights make tracking moving targets next to impossible which is a shame :(

I haven't played this for a few days, saved it just before (quite early on into the main quest):

There was a town where these guys had taken over and had people crucified, tortured and murdered, some lottery thing going on.

I tried to kill them but got confused while shooting and backing off, ending up backing up straight into the dog-looking things and got eaten :(

Might have to put it on again tonight, although Fable III will be competing for my time as well.

I haven't played this for a few days, saved it just before (quite early on into the main quest):

There was a town where these guys had taken over and had people crucified, tortured and murdered, some lottery thing going on.

I tried to kill them but got confused while shooting and backing off, ending up backing up straight into the dog-looking things and got eaten :(

Might have to put it on again tonight, although Fable III will be competing for my time as well.

Yup that was the Legion's work, they think they're Roman soldiers! I got revenge on them by planting a live grenade in the pocket of one of their commanders in another camp (got a nice hunting rifle off him when he exploded!)

Is this game easy enough to pick up and play and get straight into it?

Never played any of the previous games and am hearing good things about it..would like to give it a go when it becomes a bit cheaper. What is the aim of the game?

Well, it's easy enough to get into, but it will take over your gaming life once you get hooked. It's literally an hour burner. Some people who haven't played the previous games hate it, others stick it out and grow to love it. VATS is superb, but new players neglect to even learn how it works. There's so much detail in Fallout 3 and New Vegas; the game environment and scope is absolutely huge.

As an aside, I didn't play any Fallout game until Fallout 3. 200+ hours later, and I'm 30 hours into New Vegas. 10 or so side quests going on and only just got to the Strip in the main quest. Just taking my time, wandering and looting.

Yeah as a game it's pretty easy and standard to get the hang of, it's not like a beatemup or football game or such where you have to invest the hours learning deep layers of controls and special moves etc. the essence of the game is in the open world, in the storyline and plot etc. it is a huge hour sucker as Scutch said but the thing is you can minimise the hours you put in by ignoring non-essential side quests and fast travelling and such, though of course the best experience is to be had by exploring as much of the world on foot as possible and by doing all the side quests and such :)

This is the most buggiest, glitchiest game I have ever played. It has crashed my PS3 14 times now and counting!

Whats really bad now is that I cant enter the strip so I basically cant continue the game. My game crashes every single time I enter. It just goes black and I have to reset the console. This is just pathetic.

Im at Freeside. The game crashes whenever I try and enter The Strip. I have received my fake passport from The King and Ralph. I managed to get in and complete my Debt Collection quest for the Garrett twins by killing Caleb McCafferty and giving in his hat as evidence. After returning to the Atomic Wrangler and completing the side quest I now cant enter The Strip. I have checked on the internet and its happened to quite a few other people so its not an isolated incident. Supposedly in order to rectify it I should either A - Not have killed Caleb and therefore not completed a side quest or B - Get a Cowboy Hat from a Caravan group as this somehow fixes this huge bug. If your character wears this hat the game will no longer crash.

They should never have released such a buggy pile of crap. The game stutters for two seconds while just walking! At least try to bother to patch these glaring issues! :RANT:

It's funny, it's locked up three times for my wife in the 10 hours or so she's played, yet I've played like 30 hours now and it hasn't locked up once...

Just found the 188 trading post, some excellent weapon mods there, got a steadying mod for my 10mm submachine gun, magazine extender for the varmint rifle and scope and damage mod for the hunting rifle, very nice :)

Best way to kill Legion soldiers? I'm still on my way to Novac but their armour just doesn't seem to be affected too much by any weapon I have (including lasers etc), headshots aren't worth bothering with either for these.

I just couldn't get into Fallout 3, so will give this a miss unless I can get it on the cheap.

Pissed me off how everything needed a million hits to be killed, and how people would carry on running around and attacking you after shooting them in the head... Should be instant death 99% of the time...

Back
Top Bottom