English Premier League thread

Yes of course the club is most important. But young people look at it different.
I have two kids who are both football crazy.
My daughter is 20 years old and she supports Chelsea with much passion.
My son is 17 years old and he follows players. His playing heroes are KDB, David Silva and Nainggolan.
So he will 'support' the clubs were his favourite player ply their trade. And most of his friends have the same attittude.

IMO this is not a good thing because most of them follow star players and those star players all end up with this mega clubs. This will result sooner or later in some sort of European version of the NBA, but less fair...

PS: matmid, wich club do you support?
Portsmouth. That's quite shocking to hear that about supporting players and thus supporting their current club and that it appears to be quite a common thing now. As you say, it'll end up being the same few clubs they support.

I understand it I guess in one sense because as I mentioned myself I liked Spurs as a kid because of Glenn Hoddle, but I didn't support them, I just enjoyed watching them and was pleased if they did well.

I have a feeling he is really like that but I get what you mean and the media do hype it all up.

I realise it's because I'm out of touch but I think it's a shame that people only support teams (or players) from far off lands. It's so far removed from what I believe to be the way football is meant to be consumed!

I agree with you Flipper, but then i'm a Belgian Spurs fan...i also support a Belgian team: Genk.
I'm a weirdo because i have a season ticket for the club nearest to our home: Mechelen (we live 3 km's from the stadium). Mechelen are in the same division as Genk.

About Roy Keane. He is a jerk, a poor excuse of a human being. He should never come on television. He and Souness are dinosaurs. Football nowadays is totally different from their approach to it. You migth aswell put me as a pundit. I understand that they attract lots of viewers, but i really think they should be banned from our screens.

I watch MOTD and i think somebody like Shearer is not very good at all. He barely knows players from other countries.

Did anyone catch this cock up? Totally wrong decision. Never mind we can always rely on our "friends" at VAR....

fall-asleep-falling-asleep.gif

What a match Utd v Villa. Extremely happy with the result but also the players giving it their all. We played well even when we were down 2 goals. Might sound a bit bias but we were pretty unlucky on the first goal. We showed a lot of spirit and I’m over the moon for Hojlund getting his first premier league goal. Never expected to see Garnacho on the right but it worked very well and didn’t limit his goal threat at all. Rashford also had a great game even though he didn’t score. Very happy with that game.

What a match Utd v Villa. Extremely happy with the result but also the players giving it their all. We played well even when we were down 2 goals. Might sound a bit bias but we were pretty unlucky on the first goal. We showed a lot of spirit and I’m over the moon for Hojlund getting his first premier league goal. Never expected to see Garnacho on the right but it worked very well and didn’t limit his goal threat at all. Rashford also had a great game even though he didn’t score. Very happy with that game.

How the world has changed that Man Utd fans now get excited about a home win.

How the world has changed that Man Utd fans now get excited about a home win.
Well, when you’ve watched your team struggle to play a good game of football the entire season, be injury ridden and have a lack of direction it’s nice to see.
You’re correct though of course. We dominated everyone in the league for many many years and now we’re currently a team battling for a Europa league spot. We played above our quality last season to get into the CL and I don’t know if we can do that again this season. Time will tell.

Did anyone catch this cock up? Totally wrong decision. Never mind we can always rely on our "friends" at VAR....

View attachment 253504

I felt the need to come back about this....
The reason VAR gave for this non involvement was that it was a second yellow card, and they couldn't get involved!

FFS! Video Assistant Referee. Then please assist. The referee clearly got it wrong (who in all fairness has a snap decision to make).

Do they think that it would delay the game too much?
But it's not a problem to take umpteen minutes to decide an offside or handball situation. Absolute balderdash!

It's a bit like saying to someone "Don't worry i am here to protect you, but i have to cut off one of my arms off first."

This ruling needs sorting out.

I still remember this seasons Tottenham V liverpool game. Not quite the same, but VAR coming to mess things up again.
TBF it works quite well, when applied correctly. But i think (sometimes) the people behind the monitors are not of the standard required. Rant over.

I felt the need to come back about this....
The reason VAR gave for this non involvement was that it was a second yellow card, and they couldn't get involved!

FFS! Video Assistant Referee. Then please assist. The referee clearly got it wrong (who in all fairness has a snap decision to make).

Do they think that it would delay the game too much?
But it's not a problem to take umpteen minutes to decide an offside or handball situation. Absolute balderdash!

It's a bit like saying to someone "Don't worry i am here to protect you, but i have to cut off one of my arms off first."

This ruling needs sorting out.

I still remember this seasons Tottenham V liverpool game. Not quite the same, but VAR coming to mess things up again.
TBF it works quite well, when applied correctly. But i think (sometimes) the people behind the monitors are not of the standard required. Rant over.
When they were first going to implement it they gave us the impression it was just going to be used for goal line decisions. They use it too much and the game has suffered in my opinion. It’s stop start stop start the entire game. They may as well just get rid of referees completely the way they’re using it.
Things like tugging the shirt of your opponents in the box and getting away with it used to be part of the game and up to the ref to spot it. I mean the Italians made it into an art form. Sounds strange but I miss that sort of stuff where a player outsmarts the referee. Made for an emotional contest where fans would be singing a war cry when their team got screwed. I’m sure many disagree with me and just want to see football without cheating but yeah that’s what I think.

When they were first going to implement it they gave us the impression it was just going to be used for goal line decisions. They use it too much and the game has suffered in my opinion. It’s stop start stop start the entire game. They may as well just get rid of referees completely the way they’re using it.
Things like tugging the shirt of your opponents in the box and getting away with it used to be part of the game and up to the ref to spot it. I mean the Italians made it into an art form. Sounds strange but I miss that sort of stuff where a player outsmarts the referee. Made for an emotional contest where fans would be singing a war cry when their team got screwed. I’m sure many disagree with me and just want to see football without cheating but yeah that’s what I think.
I know what you mean, but that's how it used to be. But i think because big money is involved, and errors of the past (some which have been quite significant). The powers that be want a more fair game.
However you still see players forgetting they are under a microscope nowadays. After all it's only a game of football. But big money, media hype, says otherwise.

I know what you mean, but that's how it used to be. But i think because big money is involved, and errors of the past (some which have been quite significant). The powers that be want a more fair game.
However you still see players forgetting they are under a microscope nowadays. After all it's only a game of football. But big money, media hype, says otherwise.
I mean I get it but that doesn’t mean I’ve got to like it. As @Flipper the Priest said They’ve got to minimise it’s use. Goal line decisions only. Let the ref and linesmen call it on the field because currently refs are pointless.

I mean I get it but that doesn’t mean I’ve got to like it. As @Flipper the Priest said They’ve got to minimise it’s use. Goal line decisions only. Let the ref and linesmen call it on the field because currently refs are pointless.
It does kind of seem that way, i suppose the only overruling power they have nowadays is when going to the monitor themselves to decide.

How long before humans are replaced, and every match will be AI driven, to ensure fair play ? :P

It does kind of seem that way, i suppose the only overruling power they have nowadays is when going to the monitor themselves to decide.

How long before humans are replaced, and every match will be AI driven, to ensure fair play ? :P
I know you say that in jest but I’m sure they’ll be a time in the distant future when that does actually happen.

I know you say that in jest but I’m sure they’ll be a time in the distant future when that does actually happen.
I have seen the future headlines "EASports Official VAR system malfunctions, leaving fans 1hr 53mins for a foul decision on the goalkeeper"

18fttg7rq8vq3gif.gif

Back
Top Bottom