ENGLAND thread

Re: England Thread - Euro 2012 Squad Announced

He's had 22 caps aged 30, when Peruzzi retired aged 36 he had 31 caps, so I don't really think there is that much difference between those players.

Has he started any though? Were they friendlies or major competitions? Things like that might frustrate players.

It's disgusting how shit we are.

Also disgusting how much better Belgium are on the ball than us and that they're not at Euro 2012.

So boring match. No attacking pressure from England.

Parker won't last two minutes at the Euros, making up for being positionally awful by flying into tackles and he'll get sent off in the first game.

Well England won and were the better team.
Typical match from Belgium, much possession, tikataka with no result and aa defensive error that leads to a goal.
To be honest i was quite impressed by England. Defensively very solid. Gerrard played a good match. Been a long time since he played such a good match.

Typical match from Belgium, much possession, tikataka with no result and aa defensive error that leads to a goal.

I'd be quite happy to be a Belgian football fan right now. Yes, the team is rough around the edges at present, but the future looks bright for the Belgium national team. You have so many exciting talents. Give them a few more years together to mature and iron out the mistakes, and Belgium could be a genuine force in European football again.

I'd love to see them back in major tournaments. I've always had a soft spot for Belgium.

The team just need a good striker and understanding. They are good individuals.

Well England won and were the better team.
To be honest i was quite impressed by England. Defensively very solid. Gerrard played a good match. Been a long time since he played such a good match.
Really? I thought he was poor.

I thought he and Parker got given a pasting by Witsel, Dembele and Fellaini.

If Belgium can get a fluid side together, working on the same wavelength, there's no reason why they can't make the next World Cup. Plenty of talent but too disjointed in the final third at the moment.

i also think he was almost invisible this match...realy poor considering he is the captain...

He always is invisible for England, even during his prime years he's never played well for his country and never has and never will be any good in a midfield two.

Needs to play behind the striker like he did with Torres in 08-09 otherwise he's a complete liability, especially now he's completely past it.

Anyways, we did this before the WC in 2010. Played Mexico who ran rings around us for 90 minutes and made us look like the dinosaurs that we are when it comes to keeping possession but beat them simply because we had big guys that scored their chances and they had noone up front.

We're still going to get absolutely humiliated.

Oh, no doubt we're going to embarrass ourselves. England will stink up the tournament with dull, unimaginative football, and our technical deficiencies will be outed once again. I predict a loss to France and draws against Sweden and Ukraine. Two points and an early exit.

It won't be Woy's fault so much, more the result of years of neglect and incompetence by the FA.

Bah.....I love the major tournaments but I'm still mentally scarred by those four games in South Africa. The reason I enjoyed Euro 2008 so much is because England weren't in it.

I thin you guys are ultra pessimistic. If you read the reaction on my assessment about Belgium, then we have a very good team. England easily contained Belgium.

About Gerrard: he was impressive defensively, he was the only one who could stop both Fellaini and Dembele (our two best players yesterday). And he provided the pass that lead to the goal.

Most people will now that i'm not a fan of Gerrard, but yesterday i was quite impressed with him.

Concerning England: expectations are low and that is a good thing. I can see them win the tournament.

Young provided the pass for the goal Gerd.

I'd be happy if we didn't get a hammering, I fear Benzema and France will tear us completely apart.

Gerrard takes the ball from Dembele and Young picks it out and sends the ball through. Gerrard defensively was key for the goal and Welbeck had the hardest part in finishing.

What does it about England when absolute rubbish players like Carroll,Henderson,Kelly can go to the fucking Euros ???
Woy is a massive bellend

6 liverpool players now in england squad.. i bet we finish 8th in our group

Chelsea centre half Gary Cahill has been ruled out of England's Euro 2012 campaign with a broken jaw sustained during Saturday's 'friendly' match against Belgium, according to the Guardian: Gary Cahill ruled out of Euro 2012 with a double fracture of his jaw. Liverpool's Martin Kelly called up as his replacement.

Now England is Liverpool ;)

What does it about England when absolute rubbish players like Carroll,Henderson,Kelly can go to the fucking Euros ???
Woy is a massive bellend

Yep, because it's his fault that so many English player are injured at the moment...give me a break! The real problem is more complex than that. Sure, you can criticize Hodgson's selections, but I would attribute most of the blame to the FA for not implementing a better youth development system; the Premier League and its clubs for fostering an insatiable appetite for winning which forces clubs to buy established (e.g., Mata) and recycled (e.g., Heskey) players, in the process freezing out a lot of young English players from getting meaningful first-team minutes; and the sheer energy it requires of players to play in the Premier League compared to a more technical league like Ligue 1 or the Bundesliga. The result is a defense spear-headed by an out-of-form Terry, a midfield composed of over-30s Gerrard and Parker, a strike force that is still too reliant on Rooney to create everything.

It's times like these that England fans should be thankful that people like Ferguson give a damn about player development. The same thing can be also be said for everyone at Southampton.

I'm sure it was for footballing reasons Roy is taking Martin Kelly as a centre back over Rio Ferdinand.

Definitely footballing reasons.

Roy must be secret LFC supporter after all :D

Kelly is a quality young player, so is Henderson... but what is Downing doing there instead of Adam Johnson or Sturrdige is a mystery to me...

The one thing I would say is that I believe in chemistry in football, and hence could see an argument for taking a mid-table team in its entirety rather than trying to fit the best XI players onto the pitch.

But, that's not really what's happening with all the Pool players in the England team. I'd rather see an entire midfield or entire back 4 from a single team.

Kelly has no business being there if he's going to back up for centre back.

Did Ferdinand actually do something? I know Richards refused to be a sub but I heard nothing about Ferdinand.

I think Roy messed up with some choices. When you a coach starts preferring players over the obvious choices, it doesn't usually end well. This is a short knockout tournament and you need as much individual skills and experience as you can to decide games.

It might be personal realationships, Roy knows Kelly better than he knows Ferdinand..

I was shocked when I saw Kelly was picked up for the Euros, he wasn't even a starter at Liverpool.
I just saw that Rio was asking for reasons on Twitter over his omission from the England squad and I don't think Roy has a single reason for that choice.

Looking from a neutral point of view, I'd say that Roy is biased but as a Liverpool fan, I am very happy to see so many LFC players picked up for the Euros.

And remember that this selection is just a trial before WC2014, you don't expect a manager who comes just 1 month before the Euros to have an instant impact and win the competition but England might as well be a surprise package like Chelsea in CL this year.

Yep, because it's his fault that so many English player are injured at the moment...give me a break! The real problem is more complex than that. Sure, you can criticize Hodgson's selections, but I would attribute most of the blame to the FA for not implementing a better youth development system; the Premier League and its clubs for fostering an insatiable appetite for winning which forces clubs to buy established (e.g., Mata) and recycled (e.g., Heskey) players, in the process freezing out a lot of young English players from getting meaningful first-team minutes; and the sheer energy it requires of players to play in the Premier League compared to a more technical league like Ligue 1 or the Bundesliga. The result is a defense spear-headed by an out-of-form Terry, a midfield composed of over-30s Gerrard and Parker, a strike force that is still too reliant on Rooney to create everything.

It's times like these that England fans should be thankful that people like Ferguson give a damn about player development. The same thing can be also be said for everyone at Southampton.

Injuries are one thing and selecting rubbish players is something else entirely.Injuries are part of football but the best thing you can do is not cripple your team off experience and quality players.
Ferdinand,Carrick and Micah Richards should all be starters for England.
It's a joke on England that players like Carroll,Henderson and Kelly can go to the Euros regardless of the injuries that have hit the team

Back
Top Bottom