EFootball 2023 Advanced Gameplay Ideas

Pagi84

League 1
13 September 2016
Football games have been stagnate and dare I say regressing for many years now, obviously because gameplay means nothing anymore, it’s all about milking the consumer dry with Dream Team and FUT instead.

Here are my ideas to refresh football games and make the new EFootball games the most realistic ever and yet most fun too.

New Features:

Players visibly tire about the 60 minute mark, as a consequence of this player passing speed and accuracy is heavily nullified, so passing requires added skill and concentration. A pass that before took 20% power now takes 55% or will be short and slow. It’s often what is seen at end of games as players tire, tempo slows down, pressing way down and more mistakes.

Also, players can’t sprint off or on the ball past about 5 seconds late in games, also due to tiredness. Obviously the effect of these will differ depending on how much sprinting and pressing completed in first 65 minutes say. Then ye you can do subs to replace tired players but player attributes need to matter more, so ye take your tired Modric off but the replacements passes will be noticeably slower, less accurate and you’ll possess less control and agility etc. So stats and stamina need to be much more pronounced and skill based, this will all add depth, an extra layer where currently is none. Creating a more realistic tempo, as passes aren’t all hyper accurate and exactly at feet.

Another added dimension to gameplay should be any pass up to 10m is automated, at least the direction and any pass above 10m is semi at most and ideally manual. This would then reward skilled gamers and create a necessary skill gap and not allow players to just mash buttons and spam through balls requiring no thought or skill and completely ignoring the highly required skill of decision making that most separates good players from bad. Everything will have a precarious risk/reward element attached to it, as everything should have and not be catering to mindless button mashing.

Shooting should be set to semi if under 10-15yards and manual anything over 15 yards, so once again a skill gap is created and those skilled enough at risky long shots are rewarded handsomely with regular long distance goals. As the goalies should be unable to reach the corners of the goal if the shot is accurate enough.

Good tight close control should only be possible with good players and only activated if not sprinting and/or you remember to hold the control button (L2) before receiving the ball. That way those who are more thoughtful and measured gain that advantage that they should be given for advanced decision making abilities. All these changes reward skill and decision making, as opposed to automated button spamming, which is the only thing rewarded now.

Clean shots/volleys/headers etc only possible if timed near perfectly like Top Spin 4’s shot system, otherwise you get scuffed shots. With any shot the End result is realistic based upon how well you time the shot and if body position is realistic.

Players still have option of everything automated like before with an all auto filter available online, but the default standard should be what I have outlined here.

Team and player ID and AI is the next most important thing but is easy to fix, just have each player/team coded so they are replicating their real life selves and regular tendencies. Example= Spurs play counter and no press 75% of time and Son will attempt to dribble past nearby players 75% of the time and attempt many long shots and shots with power that hit the target 20% of the time when in 5m of space and within 30m of goal. Barca pass constantly and 70% possession, code them neatly never long pass from defence. Haaland’s movement away from defenders coded to be excessive, like 5-8 times per game he is in box in space away from defenders etc.

Dribbling system should be changed, so you can only dribble using the right stick and it's all about touch, feel and how much pressure you put on the right stick and at the right rhythm. So if you press right stick light then you will dribble a very short distance and you can dribble past many but have to time right stick presses very exact, otherwise you'll just lose the ball.

Chipped and regular through balls MANUAL ONLY, none of this spamming to Mbappe nonsense. You want a good pass, you've got to earn it! All about exact accurate passes at the right time, otherwise ball is off target or over/under hit.

For defending I hate canned tackle buttons, looks and feels unnatural so forget that, just run and take the ball or jockey and intercept. You can pressure and get a com player to press all you want, but as I said at like 60 minutes your players will be dead on their feet and unable to press at all really, leaving massive gaps in defence and affecting defensive positoning.

Thoughts on what I’ve suggested and any additions of your own on how to freshen up football games?

Last edited:
Is that a good or bad reaction? :)
It's a good reaction from me.

There's some really good ideas in that list that I'd love to see implemented in football games. The fact that only two exist now (excluding UFL and Goals, whenever they turn up) means there's no innovation and nothing new is ever given a real go, outside of gimmicks (like "power shots" in FIFA).

I particularly like the idea of longer passes being manual, but I know the problem here is that people will abuse short passes and start tiki-takaing all over the place. But if defending works as it should (and attributes are powerful enough to make first-time passes fail if you're a poor player having to deal with a fast ball approaching from your weaker side, for example) then it could work.

All this stuff used to matter - even in FIFA games. It's so sad that the difference it makes now is tiny, if anything.

Is that a good or bad reaction? :)
Oh.... you ....edit ... the post and add text!
When I first come here, the name of the topic was " EFootball 2023 Advanced Gameplay Ideas " and then what I saw was only
" .. "
so I was blown away, by how genius and good a joke that was, but then you ruin it by editing and adding a legit post and ideas ... :(

Last edited:
Football games have been stagnate and dare I say regressing for many years now, obviously because gameplay means nothing anymore, it’s all about milking the consumer dry with Dream Team and FUT instead.

Here are my ideas to refresh football games and make the new EFootball games the most realistic ever and yet most fun too.

New Features:

Players visibly tire about the 60 minute mark, as a consequence of this player passing speed and accuracy is heavily nullified, so passing requires added skill and concentration. A pass that before took 20% power now takes 55% or will be short and slow. It’s often what is seen at end of games as players tire, tempo slows down, pressing way down and more mistakes.

Also, players can’t sprint off or on the ball past about 5 seconds late in games, also due to tiredness. Obviously the effect of these will differ depending on how much sprinting and pressing completed in first 65 minutes say. Then ye you can do subs to replace tired players but player attributes need to matter more, so ye take your tired Modric off but the replacements passes will be noticeably slower, less accurate and you’ll possess less control and agility etc. So stats and stamina need to be much more pronounced and skill based, this will all add depth, an extra layer where currently is none. Creating a more realistic tempo, as passes aren’t all hyper accurate and exactly at feet.

Another added dimension to gameplay should be any pass up to 10m is automated, at least the direction and any pass above 10m is semi at most and ideally manual. This would then reward skilled gamers and create a necessary skill gap and not allow players to just mash buttons and spam through balls requiring no thought or skill and completely ignoring the highly required skill of decision making that most separates good players from bad. Everything will have a precarious risk/reward element attached to it, as everything should have and not be catering to mindless button mashing.

Shooting should be set to semi if under 10-15yards and manual anything over 15 yards, so once again a skill gap is created and those skilled enough at risky long shots are rewarded handsomely with regular long distance goals. As the goalies should be unable to reach the corners of the goal if the shot is accurate enough.

Good tight close control should only be possible with good players and only activated if not sprinting and/or you remember to hold the control button (L2) before receiving the ball. That way those who are more thoughtful and measured gain that advantage that they should be given for advanced decision making abilities. All these changes reward skill and decision making, as opposed to automated button spamming, which is the only thing rewarded now.

Clean shots/volleys/headers etc only possible if timed near perfectly like Top Spin 4’s shot system, otherwise you get scuffed shots. With any shot the End result is realistic based upon how well you time the shot and if body position is realistic.

Players still have option of everything automated like before with an all auto filter available online, but the default standard should be what I have outlined here.

Team and player ID and AI is the next most important thing but is easy to fix, just have each player/team coded so they are replicating their real life selves and regular tendencies. Example= Spurs play counter and no press 75% of time and Son will attempt to dribble past nearby players 75% of the time and attempt many long shots and shots with power that hit the target 20% of the time when in 5m of space and within 30m of goal. Barca pass constantly and 70% possession, code them neatly never long pass from defence. Haaland’s movement away from defenders coded to be excessive, like 5-8 times per game he is in box in space away from defenders etc.

Dribbling system should be changed, so you can only dribble using the right stick and it's all about touch, feel and how much pressure you put on the right stick and at the right rhythm. So if you press right stick light then you will dribble a very short distance and you can dribble past many but have to time right stick presses very exact, otherwise you'll just lose the ball.

Chipped and regular through balls MANUAL ONLY, none of this spamming to Mbappe nonsense. You want a good pass, you've got to earn it! All about exact accurate passes at the right time, otherwise ball is off target or over/under hit.

For defending I hate canned tackle buttons, looks and feels unnatural so forget that, just run and take the ball or jockey and intercept. You can pressure and get a com player to press all you want, but as I said at like 60 minutes your players will be dead on their feet and unable to press at all really, leaving massive gaps in defence and affecting defensive positoning.

Thoughts on what I’ve suggested and any additions of your own on how to freshen up football games?

Agree with a lot of this, some very good ideas. Like the manual only through balls and semi/manual for passes more than 15 yards.

Completely disagree with the dribbling as its fine the way it is. It just needs tweaking back to the state it was around 1.0.0. since the close control and Player ID depth is already there. Just watered down in the latest builds and you don't notice it enough with the stupidly easy pressure system.

I think PA1 assistance should stay as an option for everything (even through balls and lob passes) but everything should be heavily influenced by stats. Full manual is fine for some, but for example I like to feel like I'm playing with individual players with differentiated and assisted stats, with a lot of weight placed on the individual differences. :)

THIS. I don't play manual pass cos I hate missing an easy 5m pass. No professional player will miss a pass like that, but it gets so easier to do a 30m pass even on manual.
Decades ago, ISS Pro Evo options didn't mess with pass, as options only affected crossing. And, of course, yo had this "whenever you want it" manual pass button that I really miss nowadays.

THIS. I don't play manual pass cos I hate missing an easy 5m pass. No professional player will miss a pass like that, but it gets so easier to do a 30m pass even on manual.
Decades ago, ISS Pro Evo options didn't mess with pass, as options only affected crossing. And, of course, yo had this "whenever you want it" manual pass button that I really miss nowadays.
This is exactly why I made my suggestion. The fact extremely easy 5 yard passes regularly miss their target completely, when I myself irl could play these passes perfectly, even under extreme pressure.

It's the same reason I'd only want manual shots over 10 yards, as otherwise you will completely miss the target too often, way more than if you were actually trying the shots as yourself IRL.

This is exactly why I made my suggestion. The fact extremely easy 5 yard passes regularly miss their target completely, when I myself irl could play these passes perfectly, even under extreme pressure.

It's the same reason I'd only want manual shots over 10 yards, as otherwise you will completely miss the target too often, way more than if you were actually trying the shots as yourself IRL.
Sorry to intervent, not want to disagree with anything, not related 100% with passing, but i discovered something recently and always wanted to share it, to put an extra layer in short passing.

Do you (plural, not you personally) how difficult in real life is to place an accurate short pass, when the pass reciever is not cooperating respectivelly, or at all. I noticed this 2 years ago, when i was playing short passes with my 3 years old son.

Now it is not something objective, cause i am talking about a 3 years old, baby here, but putting it in a larger scale, teamate mentality, opponent pressing defender, and i can extract an analogy, that if your teamate does not adjust properly his body position and recieving , controlling stance, even a 2 meters pass that seems pinpoint accurate from my Point of View, can end up in a very ridiculous trajectory, due to friction, bad teamate movement, or defenders better adaptability.

I mean my son, could not control a pass, even with an accuracy divergence of 10cms of him, and i was trying to aim even better than this. Now in real football, even in street football by adults, all factors multiplies by 1000. It's 1000 times easier for an adult to control a ball, than a 3 years old kid, but the difficulty factors are also present, like fatigue, opponent pressure, transition of the game, timing, etc.

What i want to conclude, cause it's already TL;DR, teamates pass-reciever's AI-IQ, should also take important part in the equitation of a succesful or not pass, long or short.

Back
Top Bottom