eBay - Selling to someone with zero feedback

bsmaff

International
11 August 2003
Hertfordshire
Exeter City
I didn't know where to post this, but want people's opinion on what to do next.

I have sold an item on eBay for £1200.
The buyer has been an eBay member for 3 years, but has never bought or sold anything, so has 0 feedback rating.

Now he purchased my item and paid within 10 minutes.
I contacted him in regards to my concerns:-

His initial response:-
"Good evening,

I understand the concern, however this is a genuine purchase. I haven t had any need to use Ebay until looking to buy this card due to the lack of availability at retail, which is the reason for the lack of feedback.

Please get in touch if there is anything I can assist with or clear up.

Regards,
NAME"

I have now had a few responses from the buyer, about my concerns and seems to have answered them.
But my concerns are still there about the zero feedback, and really anxious about sending the item to someone with 0 feedback, who has been a member for 3 years.
My other concern is he finishes every email:-
Regards,
FULL NAME.. I mean who does that?

I am not sure what protection, I have if the buyer does a credit card chargeback or they say it was a un-authorised transaction. As I am very fearful that he may receive the item and then say it is an unauthorised transaction.
So therefore what protection do I have?

I would be really glad, if someone has had a similar experience, or knows what to do in this situation.

I didn't know where to post this, but want people's opinion on what to do next.

I have sold an item on eBay for £1200.
The buyer has been an eBay member for 3 years, but has never bought or sold anything, so has 0 feedback rating.

Now he purchased my item and paid within 10 minutes.
I contacted him in regards to my concerns:-

His initial response:-
"Good evening,

I understand the concern, however this is a genuine purchase. I haven t had any need to use Ebay until looking to buy this card due to the lack of availability at retail, which is the reason for the lack of feedback.

Please get in touch if there is anything I can assist with or clear up.

Regards,
NAME"

I have now had a few responses from the buyer, about my concerns and seems to have answered them.
But my concerns are still there about the zero feedback, and really anxious about sending the item to someone with 0 feedback, who has been a member for 3 years.
My other concern is he finishes every email:-
Regards,
FULL NAME.. I mean who does that?

I am not sure what protection, I have if the buyer does a credit card chargeback or they say it was a un-authorised transaction. As I am very fearful that he may receive the item and then say it is an unauthorised transaction.
So therefore what protection do I have?

I would be really glad, if someone has had a similar experience, or knows what to do in this situation.
I know a few full-time sellers on eBay who are looking at getting off there soon. They say - and I have seen the same thing - that eBay always, ALWAYS side with the buyer, no matter what.

Make the sale but take photos of literally every step of the process. Take a video of the item working, a photo of the item in the postage box, the sealed box, the box with their address on, the box at Post Office, get a postage receipt (and pay for insurance).

That "item in box" and "sealed box with address on" are important, in my experience. It seems that's all eBay will accept as proof you've posted an item (and not an empty box or a box of bricks).

I would imagine the package will be tracked by the courier to the address, giving delivery date & time.

Uff man tough position. Like Chris said. Take pics of everything, I've had bad experiences with zero feedback but mostly bc they don't pay up. However, ebay always sides with the seller. I dont know if you can talk to the buyer to see if you can cancel and in good faith amd him accept it and wont leave negative feedback. Or cross fingers hes legit (that signature is kinda weird)... But yeah £1200...

Also doesn't paypal have a check that says the guy has been verified?

PayPal does say that every PayPal is verified I believe.
I have seller protection, but I apparently had that last time a transaction was reversed.

I have found in my experience when a transaction goes wrong, then 99.9999999999999999999% of the time, eBay always sides with the buyer.

If this was a cheap item for a £100 - £200, then I would just send the item and be done with it.. However £1200 is a lot of money to lose.

I have spoken to eBay and they don't even answer any of the questions and concerns.

I think, I will see today if there is a credit card chargeback, but I will explain to the seller that I am not prepared to go through with the transaction.

I would rather just sell something to someone for cash, but you always get quite a lot more on eBay for stuff than you do elsewhere.

Curious as to the outcome of this. Did you complete the transaction?

No, never completed the transaction.
I explained to the buyer that the risk was too great on an item worth £1200.
The buyer was fine with it and he just bought another one.

I ended up selling it for less on FaceBook, but least it was bank transfer and guy collected.

Back
Top Bottom