Dont Laugh - New Footy Game

hitmanuk

World Cup Winner
Joined
23 October 2002
Location
uk
Me and my 11 year old lad have been experimenting with AI and we have created a Subuteo style game - all done with AI.

https://flick-table-vr.stuaird.chatgpt.site/

The aim was messing about in VR and it works on quest 3 but can also be played in browser - pretty neat little project and its amazing what AI can do now. Still loads of bugs like corners but still fun to watch the development
 
Mate, I was thinking first, that "Don't Laugh. It's New Soccer Game" just a complete name of new soccer project ... :COOL:
 
Loads updates but we are getting happier

Floodlights
VR pass through not tested
Pinch and zoom
11 a side
Gameplay improvements we asked for and AI did it's own playtest and suggested improvements

It's getting lik football chess

https://flick-table-vr.stuaird.chatgpt.site/
If anyone gets the chance can you make some suggestions, we know player movement on throwings needs looking at but we ve run out of Astra tokens. Until later tonight.
 
Loads updates but we are getting happier

Floodlights
VR pass through not tested
Pinch and zoom
11 a side
Gameplay improvements we asked for and AI did it's own playtest and suggested improvements

It's getting lik football chess

https://flick-table-vr.stuaird.chatgpt.site/
If anyone gets the chance can you make some suggestions, we know player movement on throwings needs looking at but we ve run out of Astra tokens. Until later tonight.
I just lost five minutes to this in a work break. :D

Really good. Honestly the only constructive feedback I could offer is that the pitch flickers when zooming in/out or rotating the pitch. But well done, it's a great little time-killer and you and your son must be mega proud of putting this together, it's great.
 
Me and my 11 year old lad have been experimenting with AI and we have created a Subuteo style game - all done with AI.

https://flick-table-vr.stuaird.chatgpt.site/

The aim was messing about in VR and it works on quest 3 but can also be played in browser - pretty neat little project and its amazing what AI can do now. Still loads of bugs like corners but still fun to watch the development
Scripted game sorry.. I don't like him... When cpu must to win there is nothing to do ... you will lose 😜 :D ;)

NOTE:
I miss the dribbling from PES 2018. Can you fix it? :PRAY:

Thank you for your work
 
A turn based football game that's actually fun to play. Cool concept. Did you come up with that concept?
 
A turn based football game that's actually fun to play. Cool concept. Did you come up with that concept?
It's based on Subbuteo which was a big part of my childhood - I wonder if it's an exclusively European or maybe even UK thing?
 
In Germany, Tipp-Kick was and still is king. Probably because it was invented here, while Subbuteo is a British game. I never knew anyone who owned Subbuteo here.


That's cool, I've not heard of this before!

When I was a teenager, this Subbuteo alternative called "Pro Action Football" started being advertised on TV quite a bit, and I was jealous that I'd never got to try it because it seemed more advanced to me:

 
That's cool, I've not heard of this before!

When I was a teenager, this Subbuteo alternative called "Pro Action Football" started being advertised on TV quite a bit, and I was jealous that I'd never got to try it because it seemed more advanced to me:


I'm pretty sure I owned that at one point, but quickly found it sucked because the springs kept getting stuck or something like that.

There was also this abomination of a football game with springs and magnets. I can still hear that springy sound in my ears whenever I think about pulling back and releasing those little figures.

s-l1200.jpg
 
It's based on Subbuteo which was a big part of my childhood - I wonder if it's an exclusively European or maybe even UK thing?
i used to spend a lot of my childhood late 80s walking around carboot sales picking up subuteo accessories - teams / pitches, adverting boards etc, scaletrix and spectum 48 cassette games.

We've fixed the pitch shimmer glitch and added more logic to throwings and goalkicks now.

Still not tested VR yet and passthorugh :) - in theory i shoulld be adble to overlay it on the kitchen table

https://flick-table-vr.stuaird.chatgpt.site/
 
I'm pretty sure I owned that at one point, but quickly found it sucked because the springs kept getting stuck or something like that.

There was also this abomination of a football game with springs and magnets. I can still hear that springy sound in my ears whenever I think about pulling back and releasing those little figures.

s-l1200.jpg
Sorry for little bit off-topic message.
I want to share gift of my parents in my childhood - Table Hockey, made yet in times of existing USSR:

Alex Table Hockey 1.jpg

Alex Table Hockey 2.jpg

P.S. I was very happy to play this in times, when I was young with father. Also I am remember from those times words of my father: "You can learn also how to lose ... It's not always you will be winning". I am sure, that it help me get better reaction in real life even, and you are really need to have some good skill for possibility to play it very fast and out play your opponent.
 
That's cool, I've not heard of this before!

When I was a teenager, this Subbuteo alternative called "Pro Action Football" started being advertised on TV quite a bit, and I was jealous that I'd never got to try it because it seemed more advanced to me:


This has just unlocked a mad memory!!! I was so desperate to get this!
 
I'm pretty sure I owned that at one point, but quickly found it sucked because the springs kept getting stuck or something like that.

There was also this abomination of a football game with springs and magnets. I can still hear that springy sound in my ears whenever I think about pulling back and releasing those little figures.

s-l1200.jpg

Childhood memories. I played this (not this exact one) to death with my dad. Don't know how many times he had to reattach a player because it was completely worn out.
When I was alone I spend hours to find out the best way to shoot from every position to be prepared for the next matches. Way more fun than EAFC...
 
That's cool, I've not heard of this before!

When I was a teenager, this Subbuteo alternative called "Pro Action Football" started being advertised on TV quite a bit, and I was jealous that I'd never got to try it because it seemed more advanced to me:


That what I had/have (still in the living room boxed up). Also had one that was you pressed down on the players kick, and his foot would literally kick the ball. Similar idea to this, without the magnets.

Back ot, there used to be a few Subbuteo type games on the likes of the Amiga I believe. I'm surprised this type of football game is not more popular.

(My dad had Subbuteo and had about 25+ different teams for it)
 
That what I had/have (still in the living room boxed up). Also had one that was you pressed down on the players kick, and his foot would literally kick the ball. Similar idea to this, without the magnets.

Back ot, there used to be a few Subbuteo type games on the likes of the Amiga I believe. I'm surprised this type of football game is not more popular.

(My dad had Subbuteo and had about 25+ different teams for it)
You can get the artifical turf now so you don't get creases like the old style.

Tried to get my lad into it but it's hard with the likes of PES and FIFA games.

I've just added anfield to my game and also handed over a daily schedule to AI to automate a playtest and make 5 gameplay improvements as well as add one prem team and stadium per day. I'm out of credit until Saturday so we will see how it handles to auto updates. Should be fun to watch what it does
 
More updates now I have credits again, added

Swerve flick
Tackling
2 touch dribbling
Goalkeeper control at any time
Plus other positioning changes

Plays great in vr pass thorough
 
  • Love
Reactions: Tom
When I was a teenager, this Subbuteo alternative called "Pro Action Football" started being advertised on TV quite a bit, and I was jealous that I'd never got to try it because it seemed more advanced to me:

Wow, Pro Action Football! I haven't heard of it in a long time!

I owned a copy of that game, and a close friend of mine owned a copy of Subbuteo (so I've had the luck to play both of them for a reasonable amount of time): while it's true that Pro Action Football was more "advanced" in some aspects like keepers being able to catch the ball for example, it's also true that Subbuteo at the end still managed to establish itsels as the tabletop football game.

Pro Action Football was fun and, I believe, also more accessible due to the fact that it had a thing that we now look back at with a pinch of disapproval: first touch control was, almost always, perfect.
Unlike in Subbuteo, in which you had to wisely choose the power and the direction of your pass because the ball would rebound off the players' bases, in Pro Action Football passes would more often than not snap (and I mean actually snap) either to the foot of the receiver or to an opponent.
Well, the fact that the player bases in Pro Action Football were magnetic played a huge role in it I assume.

Pretty fun game, if you ask me, but I'd probably choose Subbuteo over it now (sorry @hitmanuk for the off topic).
 
Very nice game, congrats! I played a bit of Subbuteo when I was a kid/teenager and it's good to be able to play it again.

I have a couple of things to point out, if you don't mind:
  • Going full screen makes the pitch disappear (at least for me)
  • The "reset view" button only resets the zoom, not the camera angle (I'd expect a "reset view" button to also change the pan and tilt of the camera to bring them back to default). If this is intentional, maybe you could add a "default view" button that brings the view back to default (behind the goal, 100% zoom, default height).
PC, Windows 11, Firefox 156.0 here (but it also happens with Edge 153.0)

Other than that, great effort. I'll play it again and I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun with it!
 
I'll take a
Very nice game, congrats! I played a bit of Subbuteo when I was a kid/teenager and it's good to be able to play it again.

I have a couple of things to point out, if you don't mind:
  • Going full screen makes the pitch disappear (at least for me)
  • The "reset view" button only resets the zoom, not the camera angle (I'd expect a "reset view" button to also change the pan and tilt of the camera to bring them back to default). If this is intentional, maybe you could add a "default view" button that brings the view back to default (behind the goal, 100% zoom, default height).
PC, Windows 11, Firefox 156.0 here (but it also happens with Edge 153.0)

Other than that, great effort. I'll play it again and I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun with it!

Hey thanks, the full screen has been fixed amongst other gameplay fixes today as well as new teams.

Most of the development is now AI only on a schedule as we just want to see what it builds, we will start to look at leagues in a bit as my boy wants some kind of ultimate team :)

Would be great if someone can try VR, i just havent had the time in the last few days and theres been loads of updates
 
Hey thanks, the full screen has been fixed amongst other gameplay fixes today as well as new teams.
Thanks! That was quick!

I'm a bit curious about the "technical/behind the scenes" side of this.
Is there any coding skill required to build a game with AI or is it, in your opinion, a thing that one could do even without any coding knowledge?
 
Thanks! That was quick!

I'm a bit curious about the "technical/behind the scenes" side of this.
Is there any coding skill required to build a game with AI or is it, in your opinion, a thing that one could do even without any coding knowledge?
Absolutely zero coding, just a vision of what we wanted and then clear prompts. The latest prompt is along the lines of "You are now the main developer, i want a scheduled daily task that conducts a play through that identifies 5 gameplay technical changes as and 5 cosmetic changes without changing the fundemenatals of table football" Along those lines - then every day i get a notification and a list of changes. The recent full screen issue was outside of that prompt plus a couple of other tweaks but other than now its now all automated workflow, eventually i will start to ask for a legue and stuff and see if i can get multiplayer

I mean this is probably spectrum quality of C64 at best , but this was done in 10 mins on a free tier for the 1st prototype, what AI will do in 5-10 years will be crazy in terms of game dev will be crazy
 
eventually i will start to ask for a legue and stuff and see if i can get multiplayer
Wow! This is a thing that I would have suggested.
I mean, one thing that I'd add, if you mind a suggestion, is local multiplayer (such as "human vs. human" on the same device, maybe even using the same keyboard and mouse instead of "human vs. AI"). I'd definitely play it against friends!
 
Back
Top Bottom