DIY SimRacing Rig - a 2021 Covid Project

We have something called Folkrace.
No matter how much money you spend on a car ,every car is up for sale after each race at €750.
Which means no driver plows down any big money on their cars.
Starting fee ,€25 for each race.
Which makes this a very cheap sport.
€750 for a car ,a trailer ,and perhaps €100-250 in starting fees.

@rockstrongo What a great idea! Motorsport in general is massively expensive. Most riders in the BSB (British Superbikes) have to pay for their ride which is just crazy for a professional sport. They have to rely on getting personal sponsors and having another job in a lot of cases. Thing is these are highly talented riders as well, it's not an amateur championship, it's the best and most competitive national championship in the world. Just seems absolutely ridiculous to me when you've got third tier footballers earning 100k+ a year here and these guys are having to pay to do their sport at a much higher level of talent than that!

Can I ask how much you have spent on the pretend car?
;)
its a simulator that is still growing. Sure I watch where my money goes but hey… you know how it is with hobbies.
wheel was 1.8k, rig build was 466, tv was 500, PC build was 911… that’s the base.
got a quest 2 headset, gloves and some other stuff… As I said, it’s always evolving and it’s fun for me to build and tinker with it.
Even got me a fire distinguisher yet, for the final cockpit right side. :LOL: some weeks ago a was able to grab some metal from a friends place of work, so I build a separate TV stand. A new wall board for bigger pictures of a Porsche is in the works. The safety netting is in the works as well.

Last weekend I deinstalled the pedal section from the rig, to put some new dampers in, set it all up more optimized, cleaned it deeply and reinstalled it to the rig (where I tinkered with the software side of the pedals for some time). This pedal action took me around 3 hours and I’m loving it. It’s part of the whole thing for me. The building, the evolution of my rig, what I dream of it may look like in the future, the driving itself, reading books, articles about Motorsport racing, watching videos about Motorsport and sim racing, exchanging with community members, being social on the track and in the forums, dreaming about being part of a league…

this ain’t just driving to me, it’s a the full package. Guess you get me! 🤪

May I ask if you drive and what car you own.
This:-

1988-1991_Volvo_240_GL_station_wagon_%282011-06-15%29_01.jpg

My St. Nichola‘s day present arrived today. :APPLAUD:

F51A8511-F50F-4B4B-86E2-47C611A6B023.jpeg

I will be installing it and running some benchmarks today. Let’s see how my racing sims enjoy that upgrade. :)

I have come to understand, that I am shit. Please tell me where to start as a complete novice. I tried the f3 car, setup's too understeery, might have to learn to do that.

I have come to understand, that I am shit. Please tell me where to start as a complete novice. I tried the f3 car, setup's too understeery, might have to learn to do that.

Maybe you need to set the wheel angle.
What I do is:
general road car : 900° or 1080°
GT car and rally car(since '90) : 540°
Formula car : 360°

Assetto Corsa. I'm not very experienced, plus coming from arcade games like codemasters F1 doesn't help.

Mine auto adjusts.
This website might be helpful. Set up the wheel correctly!
https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...e-your-wheel-rotation-angle-steer-lock.63259/

second, set the FOV and seat position correctly!
https://driver61.com/sim-racing/how-to-set-fov-in-assetto-corsa-and-assetto-corsa-competizione/

third, try driving road cars or less demanding cars first! Get a feeling for the car (in combination with wheel and screen settings) and the basics of driving a race car! Listen to what the sounds of the car tells you (like tire noises, engine sounds), try to feel the car via wheel (under and oversteer, slip angle), learn new techniques like trail braking…
https://completesimracing.com/how-to-get-faster-at-sim-racing/

Learn the track layout, set brake references and brake points, drive a track slow and clean first multiple times! Try hot lapping alone before driving in a pack of cars! Repeat, think, repeat, think and change something, repeat, enjoy…! :)

i want to be a Schumi too… ;) …but patience and practice is key!

Last edited:
This website might be helpful. Set up the wheel correctly!
https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...e-your-wheel-rotation-angle-steer-lock.63259/

second, set the FOV and seat position correctly!
https://driver61.com/sim-racing/how-to-set-fov-in-assetto-corsa-and-assetto-corsa-competizione/

third, try driving road cars or less demanding cars first! Get a feeling for the car (in combination with wheel and screen settings) and the basics of driving a race car! Listen to what the sounds of the car tells you (like tire noises, engine sounds), try to feel the car via wheel (under and oversteer, slip angle), learn new techniques like trail braking…
https://completesimracing.com/how-to-get-faster-at-sim-racing/

Learn the track layout, set brake references and brake points, drive a track slow and clean first multiple times! Try hot lapping alone before driving in a pack of cars! Repeat, think, repeat, think and change something, repeat, enjoy…! :)

i want to be a Schumi too… ;) …but patience and practice is key!
Thanks. Those guides should help a lot.

Just went thru this thread and I have to say great work @PRO_TOO . Friggin fantastic. Makes me jelly as lately I've been watching a lot of videos of sim racing and seem amazing (although I'd suck so for now I'm just daydreaming of having a setup like that). The wifey won't even buy a new TV because "the old one still works"

Enjoy

Just went thru this thread and I have to say great work @PRO_TOO . Friggin fantastic. Makes me jelly as lately I've been watching a lot of videos of sim racing and seem amazing (although I'd suck so for now I'm just daydreaming of having a setup like that). The wifey won't even buy a new TV because "the old one still works"

Enjoy
Much appreciated pal! Thank you.

I’m still addicted as f! 😂 I feel like I have only scratched the surface, hardware/cockpit and driving wise! Man, this hobby really can be a handful… and it’s so instructive! Love it!

I need to get more footage out via my channel, that’s for sure!

@PRO_TOO what monitor do you have?
I am using a TV. 55 inch Samsung NU 8500 series.
it does support 2k@120hz and up to 4k@60hz.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu8500
snatched that baby for 530 Euro.

i thought bigger was better when not going triples but I was wrong. Again I walked the path of knowledge and got wiser along the way. ;)
this whole thing is a huge learning process to me.

1D0E2AFD-71A5-4C9D-901B-2D545D5DA790.jpeg

will go triple screens next year!

Last edited:
I am using a TV. 55 inch Samsung NU 8500 series.
it does support 2k@120hz and up to 4k@60hz.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu8500
snatched that baby for 530 Euro.

i thought bigger was better when not going triples but I was wrong. Again I walked the path of knowledge and got wiser along the way. ;)
this whole thing is a huge learning process to me.

View attachment 137749

will go triple screens next year!
The opposite for me. I went for a 34 inch ultrawide and I'm not satisfied either. FOV too small. I've decided to buy a VR headset instead now. The ultrawide is great for other games as well so it worked out quite well. New PC plus VR next year. Holding out for a 4070 or 4080. Whatever will do 3440x1440.

The opposite for me. I went for a 34 inch ultrawide and I'm not satisfied either. FOV too small. I've decided to buy a VR headset instead now. The ultrawide is great for other games as well so it worked out quite well. New PC plus VR next year. Holding out for a 4070 or 4080. Whatever will do 3440x1440.
Yeah, sim racing is quite special. At the Expo I saw a lot of those 49 inch Ultra Wide screens called Panzerschlitz. I had a couple of test drives in those rigs at the Expo to get a feeling for the screen, but I want more height. So 32inch triples should be the sweetspot and do the trick. I think I will mount them directly between the rim and the display of the base, so not behind the base. But that’s all next year…

I’m good on the VR side using my oculus quest 2 headset from time to time. I think this generation of VR isn’t there yet. Bifocal lenses and better screens in the future are another story. I can wait.
there sure are trade-offs which ever side you go when choosing a “screen solution” and in the end it’s all about personal preference.

This is a quickie.
Last Monday I had my first live coaching with the community. Lovely stuff. 😍
I took the coaches advice to the track and what can I say, it worked out fine. Just last night I was driving Zandvoort again and for my skill level, I nailed the first corner.
It’s so minor and professional drivers surely will have a laugh but I was so satisfied ...! Bliss!! 😊
Ain’t that a good looking (and awesome sounding) corner drive?! To me that is. 😊

edit: btw, I finally figured out how to record ingame audio and mic at the same time (damn you windows settings; a stereo mix win7 help video was my savior)!
will have a look for the bikini and maybe soon… there will be more content on my channel.

Last edited:
@Chris Davies

this is my favorite creation so far! 😂

drove this afternoon - ode to Kunos

https://sndup.net/qwqq/

drove this afternoon - ode to Kunos

i drove this afternoon,
happily among some cars,
wanted to see what driving's like with,
rookies and superstars,
in other words, leave some room,
in other words, baby pass me!

filled my heart with joy, sure not feeling like a toy,
you are all i long for,
all i drive now and adore,
in other words, leave some space,
in other words, i love to race!

filled my heart with joy, before i got my car destroyed,
you are all i long for,
all i drive now and adore,
in other words, leave some space,
in other words, in other words,
i love race

edit: this one I created last night. It’s for one of our alien drivers, Tortellinii.
https://sndup.net/ygsy/
Tortellinii Song

In the racing, there are drivers,
Doesn’t mean they’re all survivors,
Some will finish in the end,
Some won’t make it round the bend.

There’s just one thing we agree on,
Our Tort don’t need a re-run,
On the track he is a master,
Cause the pasta makes him faster.

All we know is that he rocks,
Only using Letterbox,
I will end this non chalant,
Just 2 words: Spa Francorchamps!
Spa reference is an inside joke.

It’s time for an update. So long I’ve been craving for a real GT wheel and now I’m fulfilling my dream! 😊

my new (used) wheel arrived this week! For two nights I was busy disassembling a lot of parts, cleaning them and putting everything back together. For me, this is all part of the sim racing ride I’m enjoying so much.
I had a quick run for like 30 minutes last night with it, but I will test this more detailed this weekend. Just last night… it felt so good in hands.
Happy racer here. 😍🤗

A45D4569-6510-45A8-9C92-EF579DDA96F1.jpeg

EEF058BE-B7E8-444B-B90D-E9396FE96153.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom