Derren Brown

Chuny

-
11 December 2007
Hey!

So... I don't know if any of you guys are into mentalism/magic/illusionism/NLP/hyponsis/mind reading, etc. Or, more specifically... Derren Brown.
I've been sort of... obsessed with him for almost a decade now. And I've just now realized I never brought it up in here - A forum full of English people, and I never talked about him on EvoWeb? Go figure!

For those who don't know him I could spend hours posting YouTube videos of his Stage Shows (literally mind-blowing) or his TV shows (I prefer the old ones) but I honestly wouldn't know where to start, to do him any justice.

He's probably one of the most brilliant minds of our time and one of the very few men I admire. Even if it's just entertainment afterall, I've read his books and watched all of his interviews and I can relate so much to his way of thinking. Specially when it comes to religion, skepticism, and some other topics he usually talks about (like stress, anxiety, etc).

And since some of his newest shows are available on Netflix (the one I like the least, unfortunately), I figured he must be a lot more popular worlwide now.
I'm fairly sure I'm his only fan and probably the only one who even knows about him here in Argentina. Or at least I was until he got on Netflix.

Thought it would be great to know if any of you are familiar with his artistry (I don't know how else to call what this man does), or if any of you ever even went to one of his shows? That'd be a big reason for me to hate you.

I'm actually planning on going to England some time soon, primarily to assist to his new show "SHOWMAN".

He's pretty big over here, yeah. It's part of the language where I work, "he Derren Browned you" meaning he tricked you or read your mind...

I think he's incredible, honestly. Been to see his live shows a few times. My all-time favourite moment will always be the car crash, where he makes the woman think she's waking up in a car wreck and she's watching her own dead body go into the back of an ambulance.

You can she how real it is to her. She's glued to the ground, she's watching everything unfold, realising she can't speak to loved ones. It's the scariest shit I've ever seen because it's real, to her.

Then, the guy who is psychologically controlled into shooting Stephen Fry. Just think of how that ability could be used in the wider world. But the greater point is, I guess it is - not every suicide bomber wants to do that at first.

Funny you bring this up actually - I was just reminding friends the other day that my dream since I saw his "zombie apocalypse" episode, where he takes the arcade player and drops him in a hospital full of zombie actors and gives him a fake shotgun - where he thinks it's all real and he's "living" the game... THAT is my dream. If I could experience that, and it was real to me, and then be taken out of it when it was over... Oh man. I'd love that.

Funny you bring this up actually - I was just reminding friends the other day that my dream since I saw his "zombie apocalypse" episode, where he takes the arcade player and drops him in a hospital full of zombie actors and gives him a fake shotgun - where he thinks it's all real and he's "living" the game... THAT is my dream. If I could experience that, and it was real to me, and then be taken out of it when it was over... Oh man. I'd love that.

I was about to mention that one as I was reading your post! That must have been 15 years or so ago now(?) and I remember being stunned by it at the time. Can't begin to imagine what that would have been like for him. Love all of the stuff he's done, right back to the early stuff in the street. The newer Netflix one's have been great too.

I was about to mention that one as I was reading your post! That must have been 15 years or so ago now(?) and I remember being stunned by it at the time. Can't begin to imagine what that would have been like for him. Love all of the stuff he's done, right back to the early stuff in the street. The newer Netflix one's have been great too.
The best bit is when they put him to sleep and wake him back up in-front of the arcade machine, and his mate asks him what the game was like...

"Brilliant!" :D

@Chris Davies Woah! I didn't know you like Derren too mate!
Which of his Live Shows did you go see? Please tell me all about them and the experiences!

His charisma is extraordinary. I've literally laughed out loud so many times watching his Stage Shows (which I've done repeatedly over the years).
I think "Something Wicked This Way Comes" and "An Evening Of Wonders) are my favorite ones. What a clever, clever man.

I think Apocalypse was a great one too. The fact the he's kept in touch with the guy after so many years and this guy still thanks Derren for "wakening" him up and made he appreciate life more speaks for itself.

But his earlier TV Shows like "Trick Of The Mind", "Trick or Treat", "Seance", "The System" are spectacular.
When he played against Top 9 Chess Players... AT THE SAME TIME.

I don't know how much my trip to England will cost, but it's definitely one of the things on my list. I would never forgive myself if I miss the chance to witness his magic live. I don't have many dreams: Argentina in a World Cup. A Champions League game between two top teams (preferably Messi's Barceona) and.... Derren Brown Live.

@Chuny, You may like this Guy too if You have not watched any of His stuff before. He does some incredible illusions.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dyn...rome..69i57.3798j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Oh yeah I know Dynamo as well. He's fantastic.
But somehow I think he doesn't have that showmanship or charisma Derren has. I mean he doesn't just blow your mind away with the tricks, but he also makes you laugh and think about so many stuff at the same time (religion, charlatans, government, "the system", etc).

@Chris Davies Woah! I didn't know you like Derren too mate!
His charisma is extraordinary. I've literally laughed out loud so many times watching his Stage Shows (which I've done repeatedly over the years).
I think "Something Wicked This Way Comes" and "An Evening Of Wonders) are my favorite ones. What a clever, clever man.

I think Apocalypse was a great one too. The fact the he's kept in touch with the guy after so many years and this guy still thanks Derren for "wakening" him up and made he appreciate life more speaks for itself.

But his earlier TV Shows like "Trick Of The Mind", "Trick or Treat", "Seance", "The System" are spectacular.
When he played against Top 9 Chess Players... AT THE SAME TIME.

I don't know how much my trip to England will cost, but it's definitely one of the things on my list. I would never forgive myself if I miss the chance to witness his magic live. I don't have many dreams: Argentina in a World Cup. A Champions League game between two top teams (preferably Messi's Barceona) and.... Derren Brown Live.

Oh yeah I know Dynamo as well. He's fantastic.
But somehow I think he doesn't have that showmanship or charisma Derren has. I mean he doesn't just blow your mind away with the tricks, but he also makes you laugh and think about so many stuff at the same time (religion, charlatans, government, "the system", etc).

Agree with that Mate, I think His illness has held Him back,topped off with getting Covid19.

A couple more, because I just can't stop... lel

I remember sharing these with my ex-girlfriend, because she believed in all that crap, and I think it opened her eyes a little bit.

Derren Brown has always been a fave of mine. I got all his tv shows and live shows between dvd and downloaded.

His early work on Channel 4 I love most between Mind Control and Trick of the Mind. Even today some of his scenes are amazing.

Like you mentioned, the chess one is great. I still love the greyhound track one where he convinces the lady to pay out on a losing ticket. Also the one in Blackpool where he repeatedly steals from that bloke. I love it when he figures out he’s been stolen from, gets all his stuff back then Derren tricks him again and walks off with his stuff. So funny.

Also as much as the tricks I like the reactions that he gets. Watching Stephen Fry be amazed by what happened is equally as rewarding as watching the trick unfold. Derren is really a top bloke.

Derren Brown has always been a fave of mine. I got all his tv shows and live shows between dvd and downloaded.

His early work on Channel 4 I love most between Mind Control and Trick of the Mind. Even today some of his scenes are amazing.

Like you mentioned, the chess one is great. I still love the greyhound track one where he convinces the lady to pay out on a losing ticket. Also the one in Blackpool where he repeatedly steals from that bloke. I love it when he figures out he’s been stolen from, gets all his stuff back then Derren tricks him again and walks off with his stuff. So funny.

Also as much as the tricks I like the reactions that he gets. Watching Stephen Fry be amazed by what happened is equally as rewarding as watching the trick unfold. Derren is really a top bloke.

Yeah man... there are so many that's impossible for me to pick one!
The one about Luck I posted above was so eye-opening for me! Because I used to blame "bad luck", years ago.

Well, good news for us then! https://www.channel4.com/press/news...-celebrate-night-dedicated-his-most-memorable

Back
Top Bottom