Days Gone PS4/PS5 and PC!

That's just plain wrong
what!? crap!?
what about GOW!? Uncharted!? TLOU!? Horizon ZD!? (or on XO: Forza!?)
Just personal opinion, of course. Can't base it on anything else. And you're right, God of War is a good example of a game done right. Which makes it even more obvious how this game really isn't right (and it's deeper than something a day-one patch can fix).

It cuts lots of corners, technically (every review complains of bugs), in the gameplay (lots of complaints about average gameplay in every way, and boring mechanics - like fuel being so scarce that you have to walk large distances on occasions, which feels unnecessary), and in the story (which was blatantly dumb from the day they announced the lead character's name). As Eurogamer says...

Lisa: "I don't like it here!"
Deacon:
"Okay."

It's not just bad, or cheesy... I mean, this example reads like a robot wrote the script, or that it was translated from another language! "Okay"?!

Got to say though, I didn't enjoy what I played of God of War (very little at a friend's house, granted), Uncharted (linear, lots of cut-scenes, bit too Tomb Raidery for me), Horizon ZD (didn't grab me at all) or Forza (just another car game)*. That's not to say they aren't marvellous games - they clearly are from their critical reception and commercial success. I said "crap" because for all intents and purposes, to me, they are - but as I said above, there's clearly a big difference between these games and Days Gone, regardless. So "crap" wasn't a sensible comment. The production values are there. But not here (other than graphically).

*I left out The Last of Us because I absolutely loved that and can't wait for the sequel...

and reviews from video game mags... come on man! you should know better! ;)
Eurogamer, Kotaku, Destructiod (6/10), IGN (6.5/10), Gamespot (5/10)...

They all mention the same problems. This isn't a case of one bad "mag" site. As you said, "come on, man"... It's clearly not a great game, critically-speaking. Especially not for a first-party title.

No just on Xbox
Unless you like Forza...

Last edited:
Just personal opinion, of course. Can't base it on anything else. And you're right, God of War is a good example of a game done right. Which makes it even more obvious how this game really isn't right (and it's deeper than something a day-one patch can fix).

It cuts lots of corners, technically (every review complains of bugs), in the gameplay (lots of complaints about average gameplay in every way, and boring mechanics - like fuel being so scarce that you have to walk large distances on occasions, which feels unnecessary), and in the story (which was blatantly dumb from the day they announced the lead character's name). As Eurogamer says...

Deacon:
"Okay."

It's not just bad, or cheesy... I mean, this example reads like a robot wrote the script, or that it was translated from another language! "Okay"?!

Got to say though, I didn't enjoy what I played of God of War (very little at a friend's house, granted), Uncharted (linear, lots of cut-scenes, bit too Tomb Raidery for me), Horizon ZD (didn't grab me at all) or Forza (just another car game)*. That's not to say they aren't marvellous games - they clearly are from their critical reception and commercial success. I said "crap" because for all intents and purposes, to me, they are - but as I said above, there's clearly a big difference between these games and Days Gone, regardless. So "crap" wasn't a sensible comment. The production values are there. But not here (other than graphically).

*I left out The Last of Us because I absolutely loved that and can't wait for the sequel...

They all mention the same problems. This isn't a case of one bad "mag" site. As you said, "come on, man"... It's clearly not a great game, critically-speaking. Especially not for a first-party title.

Unless you like Forza...
you base your current opinion on reviews!!!
u.s. press did slash it (but thats a whole other story). german press has more positive reviews. meta is a 72 right now. thats a good game (if you are into those scores, wich i aint). anyway... i dont care about one guys/girls opinion on a game.
i make my own! :)

we better leave it here. i dont want to protect the game or something. will be playing tonight. and then i make up my own mind!

edit: guess the reviews were based on version 1.03! 1.04 is out and some mags said they will test again. but i'm with you: the release seems a little buggy! shame this happens with Sony owned studio games too.

meta is a 72 right now. thats a good game. anyway [...] we better leave it here.
I think we had, because I wouldn't class 72 as being a good game! Especially not if you're going to bring up God of War etc., which absolutely smashes it in terms of production values (and Metacritic score)!

guess the reviews were based on version 1.03! 1.04 is out and some mags said they will test again.
But as I said, that's not the problem - for me personally, the problem is that the story (from what reviews have revealed) is silly, and the gameplay is said to be average (and repetitive) at best, with story missions doing nothing different to the side-missions... One review says the bike is the only thing that sets the game apart from every other game that this one clearly borrows from! Average gameplay = poor game, no matter what else is great (i.e. graphics)! As I said:

[...]you're right, God of War is a good example of a game done right. Which makes it even more obvious how this game really isn't right (and it's deeper than something a day-one patch can fix).

It cuts lots of corners, technically (every review complains of bugs), in the gameplay (lots of complaints about average gameplay in every way, and boring mechanics - like fuel being so scarce that you have to walk large distances on occasions, which feels unnecessary), and in the story (which was blatantly dumb from the day they announced the lead character's name).

There were few places I've read already that story is boring, repetitive and forced in, just to have some story.
Dont think ill bother with this, definetely not for the full price.
Personally I think that if you create a story just for the sake of it, you'd be better of just creating open world game where you just fight for survival, finding a place to settle, build a base and see how long you can manage, with some objectives thrown at you every now and again. At least I could just focus on the world, instead of trying to complete a story that doesnt interest me.

whats up, freaker!? :D
today is release day!!!

just downloaded the 23GB patch last night. couldnt find time to actually play it. but tonight, AFTER football training, ill do! :)

a nice weekend to you all! :BYE:

Apparently fighting massive hoards is only possible near the end of the game, and it's not a short game. So the footage they used to sell the game is from very deep into it.

Anyone knows map size? In compare to Red Dead 2 for example? Is square miles?
Was trying to find any info on it and couldnt

Apparently fighting massive hoards is only possible near the end of the game, and it's not a short game. So the footage they used to sell the game is from very deep into it.

TBH for me the fighting massive hordes thing was one of the least interesting aspects of the game, just seemed arcadey and silly, I prefer the survival exploration element :)

Ok. So I got this game, coz I decided I want to support single player games.
I waited few days before I say anything, played good few hours to be able to see more and say more.

So far... I love it! Really do.

First thing that hit me was the music. Music is fantastic in it. It has harry gregson-williams vibe. Its melancholic, but at the same time it motivates and pushes you to battle. Really love the music.

Game is by no means perfect, but it "feels" like it was made with a lot of love.

I read a lot of reviews, where people are saying its repetitive and very boring at the start and it only picks up late in the game. I didnt get this feeling at all. Story caught my attention from the get go and it has a nice flow to it.
Initially it feels a bit "claustrophobic" for an open world game. Locations are not as opened as they are in RdR2 for example. You dont get the feeling of a huge world around you. But at the start you are basically in the forest and people has told me that game opens up greatly later on.

Graphically its beautiful. Especially weather effects are amazing. Trees being bashed by heavy wind look so realistic. It really looks stunning (and I have only Ps4 slim)

Combat is missing few bits. In example - you cant attack someone from height. If you are on a roof - you cant jump at someone. Likewise, you cant grab and throw someone off the roof, while climbing. Intuitive and quite annoying not having it in.
Apart from that - its solid. Melee weapons feel different, guns feel different, its all nice and bloody.
And you can always throw a rock to distract enemies. No more looking for a bottle, or a brick, which was annoying me in the Last of Us. Rocks are everywhere. Use a god damn rock!

I love the way it doesnt feel like its you against the world. That everyone and everything wants to kill you. In here - everyone want to kill everyone. Freakers can help you killing gangs, gangs can help you killing freakers, animals can help you killing gangs, freakers can help you killing animals. Adds nice element of unpredictability and sometimes tactics to everything.

Exploration, salvaging parts and crafting feels nice and balanced. Its not overcomplicated, but it gives you enough crafting options.
You can unlock skills, which are useful and fun. In example - you can learn to fix melee weapons with scrap metal. So if your axe is getting damaged - you dont have to desperately look for another thing to protect yourself.

I do see people point, when they say they expected more. Last of Us was released few years ago and this is more or less on the same level.
Is it bad level to be at, tho? Absolutely not. Last of Us was and still is one of the best games ever released. If we got more games at this level - I wouldnt be upset.
Days Gone was delayed few times, hyped a lot and other games (Last of Us, RdR2) had set expectations bar very high.
But its a very solid and enjoyable experience and im glad I bought it.

Edit:
Main Music Theme

Last edited:
I agree with you Emroth.

I have played about 15 hours and was a bit apprehensive given the reviews, but I really like.

It is not the perfect game but it is an enjoyable (thus far) single player experience. I really like how you have to scavenge for resources all the time, I have just managed to unlock the skill which allows me to repair my melee weapon which is going to be an absolute god send.

The bike is really hard to control to begin with but as you start to upgrade it does improve, I have only done a few upgrades thus far but it definitely feels better already. Another cool little mechanic is that you have to constantly refuel your bike, so if you are going on a long journey across the map, you have to plan it, there are a few abandoned service stations which get marked on your map once you find them or you can find fuel cans across the map, it is not overly hard to find fuel but I think that it is cool that you have to take things like that into account.

By pressing R3 you can trigger the “focus” mechanic, again I like how that works in terms of when exploring an area looking for loot or when using it as part of combat.

I try and avoid combat wherever possible, instead I am enjoying using the binocular to scope out and tag targets and then using stealth to take them out, it takes longer but it is satisfying. I have enjoyed the storyline from the get go, but it might not be for everyone. I have particularly enjoyed taking down the “freaker nests” the few that I have done have all been different so it has been good planning how I am going to take them down.

Mission variety has also thus far been good thus far and they have been good initially at showing me the mechanics of the game.

I think it will take a long time to complete this game and you have to work hard to get the trust levels from the different camps by doing missions, which then opens up the upgrades etc offered by that camp, again that might annoy people who want to be able to upgrade quickly which is a fair enough but for me I am happy to slowly work my way through the game.

I have a PS4 Pro and a 4K TV and it looks stunning, although I have launch PS4 Pro and the noise from the fans makes it sound like it is about to take off, luckily I use headphones so it doesn’t bother me too much.

So far so good, I really hope the game holds up through the rest of the storyline.

Last edited:
Yup. Really enjoyable game.
Dont know if people will agree with me, but apocalyptic world in this game is more convincing than in Last of Us. There was something missing there. It felt more like exploring ruins in Uncharted than the world after society collapse. In here its really nicely done, with abandoned gas stations, emergency response stations, ambulances, fire trucks. You can "feel" the apocalypse around you.

And yes, fully agree with re-fueling your bike. Planning your journey adds a lot of realism to it.
It might be tiring and annoying at times - but it should be like that in order to feel right.

so yeah... feels like i "owe" you guys an aswer...
played it for some time now and it is not growing on me. i dont have the feeling to come back asap to play more.
@Emroth said a lot about the good stuff and i second that. same time i enjoy those elements too, i dont get hooked too much. maybe its because of all the small details that are lacking quality (black screens before cutscrenes, loading times, gfx errors that shouldnt be there with AAA, some needed gp mechanics missing (see Em above), AI...)... that let me down.
i'm really a nitpicker, i know! :D

anyway... its a good title (maybe just not mine, or i'm finally done with open world)), imo! dont want to rate it with a score though.

edit: i want to go back to the world of RDR much more than DG's world!

It's being reduced in the Days of Playstation (or whatever the hell they call that thing) sale that's running from today to 17th?

India: https://store.playstation.com/en-in/home/games 38.69EUR / £34.39
Indonesia: https://store.playstation.com/en-id/grid/STORE-MSF86012-DAYSGONE/1 34.73 EUR / £30.78
Turkey: https://store.playstation.com/en-tr/product/EP9000-CUSA09175_00-DAYSGONECOMPLETE 33.35 EUR / £29.55
Malaysia: https://store.playstation.com/en-my/grid/STORE-MSF86012-DAYSGONE/1 34.07 EUR / £30.19

(I'm listing multiple options around the same price because some Playstation stores are harder to add funds to and/or use foreign credit cards than others).

Completed this, quite enjoyed it.

The story was good enough, liked how the story ended, although if you play on after there is a slight continuation which wasn't too keen on.

Tbh I never ran out of fuel once, actually that's a lie, I did try to take the piss out a horde and ran out, but that was it.

FD

giphy.gif

Sony have announced the game for PC.
And will be released in the Spring.

Sony have also stated more PS4 exclusives are also in the process of being ported to PC, but no further games have been mentioned or confirmed.

Been playing it this morning and so far the only nice thing I can say about it is the graphics are nice and that's really it. It just feels like you could play RDR2, Horizon, Mafia III, Watch Dogs 2 & 3 etc and they all feel like pretty much the same plodding game.

"Woah, Look at this gigantic open uninteresting terrain you can walk/drive through to get from point A to B instead of us just teleporting you the relevant place to do your objective, Kill all these unthreatening bots, watch cutscene, craft some shit and learn more convoluted controls and repeat until the games ending.

It seems like something's wrong with me if all these so called blow away AAA game's really don't impress me while the consensus if that GoW is considered the game of the PS4 generation and it bored me to death. I wish I could look forward to playing Seikro but at this rate it seems I'll see through that BS too.

Maybe it's just because I'm older and grew up with inferior visuals and creative gameplay to redeem the limitations of the tech that when you live through gaming's progression and you understand how it works and all the tricks to get there that you're not easily won over by it all.

How old are you? :) I played it last year at the ripe old age of 47 and loved it, some people complain it starts off too slow so maybe you should give it more time but as I've said a few times in here IMO it's a really good game, and I've been a gamer for 40 years! ;)

Deacon:
"Okay."

Unless you like Forza...
I was an xbox customer from 2002 until 2016, the games are trash. The company is trash. I was banned for 2 weeks numerous times from communication on xbox due to salty players falsely reporting me for bad language etc on the mic and I never even talk on the mic. They just mad they got rekt. Example in NHL 15 & 16 I destroyed players online as well as in the EASHL which is 6 v 6 online. Also in Battlefield 4 after my kills I immediately tbag the noob because when u die you see the guy that killed you in 3rd person for a few secs before you respawn so the player you killed sees you tbag him lmao.
So a communication ban means 2 weeks plus since EA is in bed with Microsoft that also meant I couldn't play any EA games online for 2 weeks +. I would be the only player on a map in battlefield 4 & I couldn't play any sports games online, so I switched to PS4 as well as PC. Microsoft caters to cry babies therefore I haven't given them a cent since 2016 nor will I ever again.
Xbox has trash. Scalebound..what happened to that? Recore is garbage, Gears 5 is garbage, Crackdown was a failure, Quantum Break....no, Halo 5 was garbage.
Playstation,...Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Nioh, Bloodborne, Yakuza, God of War, Spiderman, Days Gone, Horizon Zero Dawn, Death Stranding, MLB the Show, etc... nuff said.

Back
Top Bottom