Curly shots?

@Jimmy - Thanks, I tried following your advice :TU:.

Here is the goal:

YouTube - PES 2011 - David Villa curling strike

Sorry about the quality (Windows Movie Maker raped it...)

The curl isn't quite as drastic as that Suarez goal, but it's still very nice imo, and I actually meant it (was a RT controlled shot) :) Thoughts?

nice goal!

I got it! I've beaten the PES engine! I now did several curved shots.

It is done automatic by your player if the straight shot way is blocked by a player near your shooting player. Thanks to my friend playing the opponent team. he stayed right in between my shooting player and the aimed spot at the goal. And tada! He shots curved by himself!

Removed the blocking player and he shot straight again!

Mystery solved! No manual controllable shots in pes2011!

I've just hit the bar from almost the exact same position with a controlled shot, again with Villa, this time it curved the other way by striking across the ball.

I'll upload a video of that as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Jimmy - Thanks, I tried following your advice :TU:.

Here is the goal:

YouTube - PES 2011 - David Villa curling strike

The curl isn't quite as drastic as that Suarez goal, but it's still very nice imo, and I actually meant it (was a RT controlled shot) :) Thoughts?

Where there's a will there's a way Rob. :)

And what a fantastic strike by the way :WOOT:

Edit - The physics were perfect on the strike that hit the bar, Villa really sliced through the ball and the shot end result reflected that. Fack knows what happened in my video, I dont think I can remember the last time I scrutinised a shot technically and PES got it so drastically wrong. :CONFUSE:

I think probably the cleverest thing I've seen, and keep an eye out for it, is when your player shoots and the keepers line of vision is blocked, he really doesnt move or attempt the dive until he actually catches sight of it, which by that time is too late. Even though he still attempts to save it. Really clever stuff that proves there is zero scripting with the keepers, and the ball is a seperate entity.

Last edited:
Very nice goal there, Rob!

It IS possible, then. Probably not as easy as in previous games, but one could argue they were too frequent back then.

Thypari's theory that you have zero control is worrying though.

Cheers guys :).

I kept trying those types of shots for a few games whenever I got Villa in some space, and hit some more pretty tasty shots (and a fair few not so good!) - one in particular he really put his foot through and it must have curled as much as that Suarez goal, it just went wide.
I didn't record any of them as I kind of figured I'd posted enough Villa curling shots for one night :P.

There are a lot of factors involved in hitting one of those shots properly - body position, position of the ball, timing of the button press, power bar.
Look at the Suarez goal again, he hits the ball at about a 90 degree angle to the way he was facing, look at Beckham when he runs up at an angle to curl his free kicks, and then look at those PES6 videos - apart from the Henry "special shot" one, they are hitting the ball with loads of curl with their instep in the direction they are facing, that is very difficult (nigh on impossible) to do irl - try it next time you play for real...
Set up for it like you would in reality rather than how you would in PES6 and you will have more success. Oh, and you need to put a lot more power on controlled shots, nearly fill the bar and as soon as you let go of the shot button tap R2/RT.
I've also noticed in PES 2011 that if the ball is within reach and you press shoot (or pass), your player will swing for the ball at that moment rather than how it works in PES6/FIFA where the players automatically get into a good body position to take the shot most of the time.
It's difficult to hit those shots, but possible.

I completely agree Jimmy about the physics on that shot which hit the bar, it was one of those "Wow! How real did that look?!" moments in real time (yeah, of course people can pick apart the animations in close-up slow-mo's).

As you said there are some moments where things do look a bit off, but for me they have been few and far between enough in PES 2011 not to detract from the experience a whole lot.

I've not noticed it happen yet where the keeper's view gets blocked, I'll have to look out for it! I do like how the keepers behave in this game, as you said they really do not feel scripted. Their animations are not brilliant, they seem to parry a lot back into play and let in some soft goals, but I would definitely rather have it this way than have great animations and scripted, predictable and superhuman keepers like in FIFA...

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why I love PES Rob, you apply the same techniques and fundamentals as you do on the pitch, and everything works the same way on PES. Like I have said it before, I'm truly baffled and in complete admiration for Seabass and his team and their technical footballing prowess with none of them ever played football at a decent level. Impressive understanding. It's all there, I just think some people see it, some don't, and just don't give a damn. The animations aren't FIFAs level and they never will be, but the beauty of the PES animations is that they are all totally relevant to the situation and the theory spot on.

Last edited:
Cheers guys :).

[...]

they are hitting the ball with loads of curl with their instep in the direction they are facing, that is very difficult (nigh on impossible) to do irl - try it next time you play for real...

[...]

I've not noticed it happen yet where the keeper's view gets blocked, I'll have to look out for it! I do like how the keepers behave in this game, as you said they really do not feel scripted. Their animations are not brilliant, they seem to parry a lot back into play and let in some soft goals, but I would definitely rather have it this way than have great animations and scripted, predictable and superhuman keepers like in FIFA...

In real life it is easy to do... If I run up against the goalkeeper in a real match straight to the goal. I always use my right foot to either place the ball simple without curl into the left corner or with massive curl into the right short corner. I don't need such a special position at all.

It is not the keeper's view. It is the line the shot would take when he would shoot straight. If that line is blocked in the first 2m he curves around that target making the whole shot curving.

Last edited:
I see your point, what I meant (and I should have been more specific) was that trying to hit the ball with such curl directly ahead of you with that much power, as in those PES6 videos isn't really possible. From close range you can place the ball with some curl, but from distance you will struggle.

About the keepers view, that wasn't regarding curling shots, just something in general about the keepers :).

Is it possible to shoot top spin shots? I mean from normal play, not freekicks. Because I have never done it or seen proof of its existence in a video.

If someone ever manage to do a dipping shot with top spin, it would be lovely if you can make a video of it with close up on the ball.

Is it possible to shoot top spin shots? I mean from normal play, not freekicks. Because I have never done it or seen proof of its existence in a video.

If someone ever manage to do a dipping shot with top spin, it would be lovely if you can make a video of it with close up on the ball.

Resurrecting slightly old thread here. I remember quite few versions ago, one of the skill training trials was actually to hit a volley with dipping top-spin. It's pretty much been the same technique since.

You basically have to hit a volley when the ball is dropping quite fast and this naturally gives the ball dip.

Maxi Can Curl

Just a quick post of my first shot with a large amount of curl in the full game.

You can also see how the spin has more affect on the trajectory change when it hits the wet turf.

I´ve been training a lot of free kicks with C Ronaldo, and I´m pleased to confirm that his particular shot is in the game. I don´t have any video but I can post some if you want. What I do is use the R1 + up arrow and then shoot. When the player is really close to shoot, I hold shoot again. Sometimes it´s hard, as you´ll need a lot of timing, but it´s great when you hit it right. One thing though I don´t understand how to control the curve, I mean, it looks like these shots have their own random curve, even I press left or right after the shot, the ball makes a random curve. One good thing is, when you hit one the right way, it´s always almost goal. If you want a video tutorial I can make one.
Sorry my english.

tested around and i think i got the curler formula

u need to load up the shoot button first, while doin this move the stick to the far post and while doin this start to hold :r2:

lets say ur cutting in with an right footy from the left side then u need to do this:
get in a good angle
-> press shoot
-> right before it reaches the height u want to shoot move the stick to the right down side or right upper side (straight right isnt that good)
-> while doin this start to hold :r2:
there is no need for :r2: coz sometimes its auto curl its new in 011, but it defo helps
if u hold down :r2: all the time the swerve goes away from the goal so its diffrent

managed to get 3 outside foot shots in a row too but havent figured out yet how

edit:
holdin down :r2: first then shooting then direction u can do lovely lobs

Last edited:
I´ve been training a lot of free kicks with C Ronaldo, and I´m pleased to confirm that his particular shot is in the game. I don´t have any video but I can post some if you want. What I do is use the R1 + up arrow and then shoot. When the player is really close to shoot, I hold shoot again. Sometimes it´s hard, as you´ll need a lot of timing, but it´s great when you hit it right. One thing though I don´t understand how to control the curve, I mean, it looks like these shots have their own random curve, even I press left or right after the shot, the ball makes a random curve. One good thing is, when you hit one the right way, it´s always almost goal. If you want a video tutorial I can make one.
Sorry my english.

There is already a good tutorial about it here:

Ronaldo Knuckleball Tutorial

And the R1 + up isn't completely necessary, it's an alternative, you can just press :square: and then right after he makes contact with the ball press it again, without the need of anything else.

Of course, pressing up or any other direction before you "add" the knuckle effect produces different results, like any other free kick.

lol we started talking about curl and we ended up with free kicks!

i´ll post my first free kick goal (first out of the training pitch)later ...

And thanks btw for the c. ronaldo tutorial, eventhough it is very easy to score with that kind of players

Back
Top Bottom