Celtic Thread

Deila is an expert at man management but he needs time to get used to what level the players need to be at to improve Celtic and also to gain the players trust. He's tactically smart and offensive in his style, and he likes to give youth a chance.

If the Celtic players is able to change their knuckleball style into a bit more classy football, Deila will bring you a lot of trophies.

You're back in the CL because Warsaw have been expelled for fielding an ineligible player :SHOCK:

Apparently the ineligible player was an 86th minute sub :DOH:

Last edited:
That is indeed very stupid...i would not want to go into the Champions League that way and would decline as a club, but 99% of the clubs would laugh with me...

Legia Warsaw deserved to go through and never really benefitted from the few minutes that player participated.

Absolute farce. Celtic were battered. There was a similar case but that side wasn't booted out! The panel deemed the guy coming on for 2 mins didn't affect the result. Should be the same on this occasion. It was clearly a mistake. It had no impact on the game whatsoever. I hope they get reinstated as Celtic do not deserve to be in at after a 6-1 defeat.
Anybody who thinks different and blabs on saying they cheated is just deluding themselves.
If it happened to a top club they wouldn't be booted out. This decision stinks. I appreciate there are rules but it was clearly an oversight. No team would purposely bring a player in for 5 mins when easily winning and jeopardise their place in the tournament.

Last edited:
Absolutely agree with you Pu6hy, but the problem is where you draw the line...it's absurd, but somehow i can understand from UEFA's point of view...

Celtic should make a statement and say that Legia deserves to go through...that would be the fair thing to do.

It's true that based on performance on the field Celtic does not deserve to go through, but... Rules are rules. The moment you let it slide once, a new precedent is set. I applaud UEFA for sticking to its guns in this case.

The punish should be for Legia, but it seems also as reward for a team that dont deserve to advance, maybe the spot should be conceed to the "best" loser of the round, not to a team that lost 1-6. But unfortunatelly fair is a word that isnt related so much with football.

The punish should be for Legia, but it seems also as reward for a team that dont deserve to advance, maybe the spot should be conceed to the "best" loser of the round, not to a team that lost 1-6. But unfortunatelly fair is a word that isnt related so much with football.

That is a very good idea.

The way it is handled currently I do believe is fair. Celtic were directly involved in the match in which the rules were broken, how would it be fair to them if a team completely detached from the situation would now benefit from that? A team who hadn't gone up against mighty Legia, who--as far as Celtic are concerned--could very well be the best team in the world! ;)
Seriously though: Who is to say which team is truly the "best" loser? How many variables would have to be included to somehow effectively single out the "least subjectively" bad team of the bunch? That would be a truly massive logistical undertaking, to actually come to "fair", remotely objective conclusion.
Also, what a dangerous precedent to set! Yes, in this particular case Celtic were obviously outplayed and comfortably beaten. But what if a similar thing happens in a much tighter fixture? Sorry "club X", your opponent may broke the rules and thus won't advance to the next round, however, since you are only the 2nd "best loser" of the round, neither will you! :/

The only way they could have done it without Celtic would have been if they had replaced Celtic with a "blank" (a "bye") team in the draw. Then, assuming the draw had continued as planned, Maribor would have got this "blank" team and so Maribor would go direct into the group stage, it would have been a "free pass" so to speak.

It's a shame for Legia but I think the 3-0 forfiture is always the standard punishment when a player banned through yellow/red cards is played, so they cannot really complain. Somebody within the Legia organisation screwed up massivly, they didn't put his name on the team sheet for the earlier round against St. Pat's so he hadnt served all of his ban. Regarding the other team who got a fine rather than a 3-0 forfit (Deberecen?), I think this was because the player they played was not registerd correctly (he hadn't been banned).

Exactly.

We don't deserve to be in it for our on the field performance, Legia were far and away the better team.

However rules are rules, if they had scored their missed penalties they would have went through.

The rule has been there and is a 3-0 result against the offending team.

Celtic deciding to pull out or such is just a ridiculous comment to make by Legia or whoever, where would it stop? Guy dives in the box and get's a winning penalty to win a game, cup etc. Do we start getting teams changing the result, requesting replaces etc etc. Oh we had 20 shots on goal and you had none but got a penalty in the last minute, the game must be replayed for the good of the game. Nonsense.

It's a rule and that's that.

FD

The guy missed the necessary amount of games though. A bit of bloody paperwork cost Legia millions as they didn't list the player for two games which he wasn't eligible to play in anyway so they didn't count towards the ban. It's ridiculous. An absolute joke as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, but it's totally Legia's fault and they have no one to blame but themselves. Celtic did nothing wrong, it's not like a Celtic player dived for a penalty, handballed a goal or injured a player with a bad tackle.

If Dariusz the deputy chairman spent as much time checking team sheets as he did writing that sycophantic (and frankly horrific) letter pandering to Celtic's history then maybe Legia wouldn't have made such a bad mistake, and maybe it would be them playing Maribor.

Will do mate, hope he's a good un, although I'm a tad worried we'll sell Virgil Van Dijk now which I wouldn't like to do at this stage.

I'd like him to compliment the squad rather than replace such a valuable player to us.

FD

Yep, he did play well.

I think that may have been his first competitive game, he got off to a shaky start, seemed to be confident on the ball, although maybe a bit too comfortable.

He did however come into a game and his tackling was very good, seemed to have a bit of pace, not the biggest centre half you'll see though.

Took his goal brilliantly.

I think he may get a game in Europe through the week, this will be a huge test for him.

FD

Jason Denayer from our academy has signed for you on loan this season.

Let us know how he gets on :TU:

Absolute gem of a player this boy. Won the Scottish YPOTY by a long streak. Excellent at reading the game, good on the ball and quick to boot. I honestly think City could do a lot worse than giving him some game time. Personally I hope they don't and let us have him for another season, but not sure if he'll move to a more competitive league (maybe another EPL team).

If there's anything I'd say against him, is he's a bit on the small side, but actually is good in the air, but possibly against a top striker who is strong in the air could pose problems.

As for Celtic, decent opening season, still some bad points in terms of Europe (outwith a couple of games) and disappointement with the Cup loss to ICT (albeit terrible refeereing decision).

Happy with some of the new players he's brought in, hope we can boost it for next year, although we could be losing a lot of key players, especially our 2 CH's who will be very difficult to replace.

FD

Yea, heard he won YPOTY. Good to hear he did well. Would like to see him be our backup RB and cover at CB next season. Think he could play RB? Would be a waste to have him as just 1 of 4 CBs, would be better off on loan as I can't see Mangala oor Demichelis being sold

It is a bit of a step up, but I honestly feel he's a better option than Mangala and DeMichelis (think he's getting a tad old).

He probably actually could do RB, but then again what about Zabaleta? Think he's superb.

FD

Yea, talking about him covering Zabaleta and the CBs because unless one of Demichelis or Mangala are sold he'd probably not get the minutes to make it worth not sending him on loan again.

Either way, looking forward to preseason to see how he and Rekik have improved since last preseason

LOL, I think he's quite good.

Not had a lot of game time, but will see how he goes. He's not as good as Denayer though, but he's maybe that little more dominating.

Pity we've lost Van Dijk now, that's more worrying.

FD

LOL, I think he's quite good.

Not had a lot of game time, but will see how he goes. He's not as good as Denayer though, but he's maybe that little more dominating.

Pity we've lost Van Dijk now, that's more worrying.

FD

He gives me the absolute fear, a bombscare of a player, and that was with VVD beside him!

LOL, I still think he'll do a job.

The boy Blackett for me though is a non-starter and supposedly they are looking for £4m, jesus wept.

Hopefully Man Utd will be mental enough to recall him back after Shaw's leg break.

FD

You getting these two mixed up? Blackett's had one game while by the mid-point in September, Boyata has put the ball into his own net twice and sold at least two goals completely on his own.

He also cannot pass a football :).

Back
Top Bottom