Ballsy! League, a new retro soccer game! beta demo released [Linux/Windows]

bazkie

Non-League
Joined
9 May 2012
Location
groningen, the netherlands
Team
fc groningen
Hello everyone! Some long term evowebbers may remember me from the "Gameplay Football" project I was working on aeons ago :)
Unfortunately that was too ambitious a project, so I had to cancel it for the sake of my mental and physical health. I can get quite obsessed 😅
I've been happily doing smaller, sprite based stuff since, like a mini football game "Ballsy! World Cup 2020", and a racing game "Buggy Game".

Since a few years, I've been working on and off on my new dream project, "Ballsy! League". It's also sprite based, so I can keep my sanity; but physics wise I'm targeting the PES4/5/6 feel (since I still play PES6 on a weekly basis 😍 those games are like crack lol)

I now got it to a stage where I feel the gameplay is nearing completion. There's still stuff to be added and polished, but the basics are all there. So I decided to release a free public beta gameplay demo, and here we are! ⏬ https://properlydecent.itch.io/ballsy-league-beta ⏬

It comes with a very simple league mode, in which you can play through a season; but that's not finished yet, so there's no player transfers or development etc. But it's nice as a point keeping thing so you can try to win a league season, so I decided to add it to the demo :)

Some disclaimers; I understand many of you strongly prefer a 3D game with sophisticated player models and animations over a sprite based game, so it's not for everyone, and that's okay :)
Also, I'm sure many people will like to see online multiplayer support, but I'm sorry, that's not something I'm planning on adding, since it's complex to get right (issues like cheating, renting and managing servers, moderating toxic people etc), and also it's just not something I'm interested in myself.
Maybe both these things can be solved later on, as at some point in the further future I may open source it, so people can make their own variant.
Unfortunately I can't do this right away, since with the advent of LLMs, I'm sure 100 slop variants would arrive before I can even finish my own 1.0 version, and I would like to make SOME sales before other people start profiting from it, lol 😅

Well, I hope you enjoy it! Curious to hear what you think of the gameplay feel, and what you would like to see changed or added! Cheers 🤩



 
This game is phenomenal. You will understand the depth it's sim-core once you grab your controller.
I will come back with more extented thoughts. @bazkie you're a genius!
 
Back
Top Bottom