What do you think about the current weak foot stats?

loco

Schaduwspits
12 December 2002
IMO:

The weak foot accuracy and frequency stats have never worked right since their introduction in the WE series. I've seen players with WFA/WFF 3/3 kick the ball like a thousand times with their opposite foot in the game. Even if you edit both stats to 1 and the player will still kick the ball with his weak foot a lot of times. You can even set this value to 1 and the player will still kick the ball with his weak foot.

I know in real life this is not an absolute rule, since a player with a very poor weak foot may have to use it in specific "desperate" situations like having a good shooting angle for their opposite foot on a claer path to goal with defenders chasing rapidly behind, clearing the ball from their area out of danger, or crossing the ball or making a pass into the area in a last minute effort to tie a match in minute 90+4', for e.g.

Another thing Konami keeps doing(just like normal stats not being lower than 50) is setting the weakest foot accuracy at 3, so I don't really see the point in having a 1 to 8 scale... I would rather this sorted out correctly and have them in normal stat range (from 0 to 99) so even greater realism is achieved. I would also like to sub-divide the stat for passing and shooting.

But overall, when playing the game I don't "feel" this stat (mostly on the downside, WFA/WFF 4 or lower). I mean, real life examples of players who are genuine one footed like Dida or Robben I certainly don't feel the stat is accurately reflected.

Do you relate to the things mentioned above while playing PES 2009? Do you agree? What would you do to improve this in PES 2010?

In my experience, and I mean this genuinely, I think this stat works very, well and I find it to be pretty accurate. I have to make sure the player I'm shooting with has a decent 'other foot' otherwise I have to fake back onto his better foot.

Unlike Fifa, where it really doesnt seem to matter, every player is virtually the same. Same touch, same control, same ball stuck to foot etc etc.

what about passing? do you feel the weak foot accuracy stat works as well in passing?

To me this is an area of improvement, sometimes I feel players just pass the ball randomly with either foot, depending on their which position they're facing and regardless of their WFA/WFF(even players with very low WF stats).

To be be honest the passing for me is one of the best new features to PES2009, apart from the odd stray pass mis-directed to the wrong player. You really have to have your body angle correct now, and facing the right direction, unlike PES6 et al.

Also you need to make sure the players passing accuracy is at a good level and also you pass with his favoured foot in order to be successful. I have played to death all the PES/WE games with the exception of the pathetic PES2008, and this is the first incarnation that really makes you earn your pass, if you know what I mean. This for me really adds to the realism.

I'm a big fan of the PES 2009 manual pass both on the ground and in the air, although it still does need tweaking to incorporate better use of the right analogue stick. Players like Lavezzi from Napoli have such vision and accuracy that it really doesnt matter which foot you use, such is their technique.

If you put the player in the situation where he has to use his less favoured foot, then depending on his stats, he may not complete the pass. Otherwise, its a brilliant addition and one I really hope they dont change in PES2010. Yes its alot harder compared to the pinball passing of previous games, but certainly more realistic and it really makes you think about everything, which is something I really applaud.

I know what you mean Jimmy. And I agree with you on that aspect of PES 2009, passing is as good as it can get.

But sometimes I feel that players with really low opposite foot stats (regardless of the stat) insist on passing the ball with their weaker foot, when they clearly can make the choice (A.I.) to make a more successful pass withe their stronger foot.

Back
Top Bottom