15 November 2009
Kyïv, Ukraine
Dynamo Kyïv, West Ham
ilqpNg6qCJk.jpg

The squad

Goalkeepers
1 Maxym Koval (Dynamo Kyiv)
12 Andrij Pyatov (Shakhtar Donetsk)
23 Olexandr Horiajnov (Metalist Kharkiv)
Defenders
2 Eugen Selin (Worskla Poltava)
3 Eugen Khacheridi (Dynamo Kyiv)
5 Olexandr Kucher (Shakhtar Donetsk)
13 Wiacheslaw Shevchuk (Shakhtar Donetsk)
17 Taras Mykhalyk (Dynamo Kyiv)
20 Jaroslaw Rakytzky (Shakhtar Donetsk)
21 Bogdan Butko (Ilichiwetz Mariupol)
Midfielders
4 Anatoly Tymoshchuk (Bayern München)
6 Denys Garmash (Dynamo Kyiv)
8 Olexandr Aliev (Dynamo Kyiv)
9 Oleg Husiev (Dynamo Kyiv)
11 Andrij Jarmolenko (Dynamo Kyiv)
14 Ruslan Rotan (Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk)
18 Sergij Nazarenko (Tauria Simferopol)
19 Eugen Konoplianka (Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk)
Strikers
7 Andrij Shevchenko (Dynamo Kyiv)
10 Andrij Woronin (Dynamo Moscow)
15 Artem Milewsky (Dynamo Kyiv)
16 Eugen Selezniow (Shakhtar Donetsk)
22 Marko Dević (Shakhtar Donetsk)
Manager
Oleg Blokhin

Last edited by a moderator:
Home advantage is the key I think.
But this can be a disadvantage, since the home stands will put pressure on the national team of Ukraine and to demand of her victories, so I do not think they can play completely relaxed. But anyway, I will support Ukraine also, and I hope we will meet with you in the Final, good luck Ukraine! ;)

I think beat Sweden, draw France, last match maybe draw England, maybe last match draw for England and Ukraine is enough result for both.

I think Ukraine is very strong country and some teams will underestim it.

Poland or Ukraine, which team will do better? That's the question I'm curious about!

Ukraine is much stronger than Poland, but Ukraine was put into a very hard group. French and English are experienced teams with Champions League winners in a lot of positions. Ukraine can battle and maybe, with luck, get into second place but it will be hard.

Poland has a kind group. Russia is a very strong team, the biggest in the east, but behind Russia is only Greece, Poland and Cjechs. Greece and Cjech was good 8 years ago, but now there is not as much quality -Poland can maybe make second place beat Cjech, draw Russia, beat or even draw Greece.

But, to put in context I think Ukraine will make 2nd in World Cup 2014 group (England, Montenegro, Ukraine, Poland, Sainkt Marino) but Poland will be maybe 3 or 4.

I believe Poland will do better than Ukraine as I think they are a better team. So not just because of 'easier' group. They'll probably finish 3rd or battle Greeks for 2nd place.

I can see Ukraine finishing 4th in group and maybe one of the weakest teams in competition.

Yarmolenko will have to play great to hopefully give the fans something to cheer about. I like Rakitskyi a lot but his temper along with Kiev CB is questionable. Some unnecessary yellow-red cards.

The strikers aren't the most potent and that can be a problem. The team is overall fairly inexperienced. Shovkovskyi and Chygrinski's experience will be missed.

Sheva, Tymo, Voronin, Gusiev and others are very unexperienced, of course.

Overall there are 8 players who reached 1\4 in 2006 in current squad. Among them Iarmolenko, Rakytskiy, Kucher, Aliev, Devic have a lot of experience in UCL and EL with their teams.

And who is experienced in Polish team? Szczęsny, Piszczek, Kuba and Lewandowski? Not that much I have to say.

Last edited:
Yup and none of them are the players they used to be. So only a few experienced players and they aren't the best.

Tymo is still quite good though nowhere near his best at Shakhtar 4-5 years ago but Voronin was always a mediocre player anyway, let alone now!

Вболівай, Вболівай, Вболівай, оууу!©

Good luck to Ukraine, all Russians today will support you! ;)

Congratulations to Ukraine and Sheva!! The most lethal striker I ever saw play.

Now far past his best in his Milan days but still two steps ahead of everyone else in the 'mind' if not in the feet any more.

Kind of. Ibra in particular could've done better.

Golden chance to score with header, no one near him, and he hits the upright. Scores an easy goal and had almost a very nice assist on that brilliant pass to Elmander but other than that, WALKED around the whole game (offered NO pressure to Ukraine defense) and lost his man (Shevchenko who is HALF his size) for that 2nd vital goal which means Sweden lose and Ukraine get 3 points instead of them.

Sheva had a great chance in first half which he missed and overall didn't do a whole lot right other than score 2 goals but that's all that matters. He did better than Ibra but both could've still done better especially Zlatan.

Back
Top Bottom