Tottenham Thread

What a thrilling match tonight, I have to say. :)

Overall: I was so happy the EPL provided during Christmas and it still goes on...! :)
Thrilling for everyone who isn’t a Spurs fan! 😂 I thought it was painful to watch.

Thrilling for everyone who isn’t a Spurs fan! 😂 I thought it was painful to watch.
Yeah sure. I should’ve add that bit of information. ;)
If it’s not “my team” who's playing, I’m always supporting the underdog.
Spurs played under value.

When I watched my Bayern vs. Freiburg not too long ago, that was thrilling as well. Bundesliga (and EPL) as a whole are entertaining as it hasn’t been in years, imo.

IMO the second half was not bad. Mourinho should build upon that second half. We begun very well, scored an then got an absolute freak goal against us. At moments like that, you see the players have no confidence...

God, Mourinho is there for 8 matches and i'm sick and tired of him.
Mourinho's version of the club's motto: to play with 2 right backs is to do.
If Spiurs would have played the whole match like we played the last 20 minutes (with more offensive orientated players on the pitch), perhaps we could have earned a point against Liverpool. We had less that 30% possession in the first half, Som didn't touc a single ball between the 30' and the 60' minute of the match...

UNder Pocchetino we were one of the most attractive teams of Europe, now we are boring, tedious...if this is the result of 8 matches as a manager, what damage can he do in 4 years?

He's worse that Tim Sherwood (i'm exagerating).

The thing is I expect in his mind, he will see the fact that with the late chances they could have drawn and even feasibly have won given the two gilt edge chances they missed, as justification for his method.

With the historical attacking mindset of both Man Utd and Tottenham's style of play I think it's fair to say Mourinho was the worst possible fit for either of those teams. He drained the life out of Man Utd, I hope he doesn't do the same here.

Yesterday's match against Boro was another example what's wrong.
A very decent first half, where we could have scored 4 goals.
Spurs from two seasons ago would have started the second half to slaughter Boro and score at least 3 more goals...nothing like that now….and of course Boro scores and we have a very nervy and of the match...and the chances we missed on the counter after Boro's goal...What is wrong with our players?

They should start the second half of matches like that, conscious that they are 10 times better than Boro, but the y don't. Is it what Mourinho says at half time, is it a lack of self believe or a combination of both?

So Eriksen has left us. I wish him the best of luck and thank him for the pleasure and enjoyment he offered me.
Lots of Spurs fans are happy he is gone, i don't understand why.
In timespan of one year we lost our two best players: Dembele and Eriksen.

What happened with Eriksen?
Two years ago Pocch wanted to give him a better contract but Eriksen declined. He wanted to let his contract run to his end without renewing it. Why?

This is something relatively new in football. Clubs outside England (Juventus is the best example) are wel aware of the fact that they can't compete with English clubs for transfer fees. Now they have found a way to circumvent this. They buy players on a free and with the money they 'win' by not paying tranfer fees they give the players very high wages. Eriksen was well aware of that possibility and that is the reason he did not renew his contract. He was still happy at Spurs but was thinking about a last big jackpot transfer. Toby Alderweireld tried the same thing but his gamble proved to be the wrong one and i fear an even worse outcome for my favourite player Jan Vertonghen.

Shortly after these failed negotiations for a new contract, Real Madrid talked with Spurs, they wanted to buy Eriksen. Levy asked 180 million pound for him. Madrid refused to pay that and Eriksen stayed with Spurs.

Last summer Eriksen stated that he was up for a new challenge. I can understand him, Spurs just played the final of the CL and lost it. Eriksen (like Pocch) was realising that this magnificent team had reached a peak, sadly without winning silverware. He also saw that Spurs hadn't bought a single player for a year, which is very unusual for such a big club. IMO he rightly came to the conclusion that he should leave.
For some reason no clubs were interested in him or Levy's asking prize was too high.

Now Inter comes and buys him for 20 milion. From 180 to 20 million that is a big difference, on the other hand, Eriksen cost Spurs 8 million...he was the outstanding player in their best team since 50 years and they still sold him for 12 million more.

Conclusion: Eriksen has been great for Spurs. He certainly did not deserve the booing and the very negative twitter posts by spoiled brats who call themselves fans.

The relative success (CL football for example, which is far from evident for Spurs) attracted a different sort of fan, glory hunters… Their expectations are unrealistic. As long as Spurs don't get a super rich owner, we will never win the league. And frankly do we need a rich Saoudi owner or an autocratic Gulf state as owner? I don't think so.

I prefer to be called bottlers instead of winning things like Manchester City or PSG (or Real Madrid).

Last edited:
2-0 against Man City. Great result.
Not sure if i want this style of football in the future...
It is clear that our players have confidence issues, so what Mourinho did yesterday is perhaps appropriate right now.
After all there were positives apart from the result: the players fought for each other...

But should Spurs always like that in the future? Difinitely not, imo.
Spurs have a reputation for good and attractive footbal albeit without winning much silverware.
Do i want to win silverware with this kind of dire football (we hadn't a single shot on target until Bergwijn's goal)?

To be honest: no.

But it is too early to judge Mourinho. The players badly need confidence and this win might help...

Surely Mourinho at least tried to get a forward in? To me Moura looked knackered for much of the game, don't think he is the best type for numerous sprints at the front. No complaints from a Liverpool fan yesterday, bloody well done, but they do seem a bit shy at the front without Kane.

Unfortunately for Spurs, Son seems a litle bit out of form and so do Moura and Delle.
I'm still convinced (but i'm perhaps the only one) that Spurs don't really need Kane and that without him (and wikth these other players having good form) they are perhaps even more dangerous, becau everne of these players (and now Bergwijn?) can score goals.

I know it seems silly to write this now, but i'm still convinced Spurs should sell Kane and invest the tonload of money they will get for him in the team...this could turn out to be our 'Liverpool move'.

Could be completely wrong, wouldn't be the first time and certainly not the last time either...

Yes we won, against Southampton, and yes they were the better team and with VAR we wouldn't have got that penalty. But frankly i don't care about that all.

I keep seeing Jan Vertonghen on the bench after his substitution. That was a look of despair, a player who realises that he's done...that time as catched up for him. I'm so gutted, this is probably my favourite player ever.

I once saw a a Dutch television program about him when he played for Ajax. Ajax were on the verge of becoming champions and Jan was their captain. They followed him a couple of days and the image that emerged of him is atypical for a football star. Here was a guy who did all his traveling on an ordianary bike. A guy who likes to read books (a football player reading books, imagine).

I immediately liked him very much, an intelligent guy with a sense of humour who also realises that what he is doing is only football, but he always behaves very professional. He was loved in Amsterdam (but hated in the rest of Holland).

And then he ended up at my favourite team. He turned out to be a great servant for Spurs. He's been there for 8 years, he is a record international for the team that has been the number one in the world for some years now (and i know that our national team isn't the best in the world, but they are among the very best, imagine what that means for a tiny country like 'boring Belgium').

And Jan continues to be the guy from around the block. When the national team gathers in Brussels, all the stars come with their big cars and Jan, well Jan gets a lift from his mother...

I really love him and yesterdays images broke my heart. All the best dear Jan...

PS: is this sad for an 58 year old? I don't give a damn.

Unfortunately for Spurs, Son seems a litle bit out of form and so do Moura and Delle.
I'm still convinced (but i'm perhaps the only one) that Spurs don't really need Kane and that without him (and wikth these other players having good form) they are perhaps even more dangerous, becau everne of these players (and now Bergwijn?) can score goals.

I know it seems silly to write this now, but i'm still convinced Spurs should sell Kane and invest the tonload of money they will get for him in the team...this could turn out to be our 'Liverpool move'.

Could be completely wrong, wouldn't be the first time and certainly not the last time either...

If he's happy at spurs and he has the ability, selling Kane would be a bad move.

The players from the poch era mean a whole lot more to me than the new guys coming in and the longer we can keep them - if they can do the job - the better.

Well, we are out of the CL... Can't say it was much of a surprise. Leipzig first goal and second goal were once again caused by individual errors. Several errors for the first goal (Dier, Tanganga ans LLoris) and one very huge for the second (Aurier, who else - but Tanganga din't look good either). Strange that a Mourinho led team is this bad at defending.
I must see in a way i enjoyed watching RB Leipzig. Spurs were bad, but we played a very good team.

The last five or six matches (we didn't win a single one of them) are a reminder how much Spurs punched above their weight under Pocchetino. We are currently eight in the league and that is slightly underperforming. Lokking at the salary mass (the best indicator for the table), Spurs should be 6th.

Under Pocchetino we finished 3th second and fourth, played stunningly good football and reached a CL final ( a once in a lifetime achievement for a Spurs fan, i'm afraid).

Yes, but we didn't win anything. Older Spurs fans like me will tell you that for the first time in Spurs' histroy, we didn't win a single thing for the last 10 years. Some people conclude that we are going backwards. That is not true.

Yes we are having a bad season, being knocked out of domestic cups by a league two team and by the number last of the EPL (although the best ever according to pundits) is not good enough. And maybe it might feel like we are in crisis, but are we? Are we in a bad state as a club?

I don't think so. We have the best stadium in the world (well, one of the best), we have a superb training center and money- and prestigewise, we did won trophees because we always qualified for the CL (our old friend Wenger was right about that). Next year we will not play the CL, so we should rebuild.

In England there are six clubs bigger than the rest, we are one of those six clubs, but in terms of money, we are clearly the worst of those six clubs.

People blame Levy. They are wrong. Yes; Levy is too clever for his own good when it comes to transfer negotiations. We could have had a squad with Grealish (Aston Villa asked 6 million, Levy only wanted to give 4), Bruno Fernandes (the polayer was keen to play for Spurs, but Levy's offer was far beneath what was acceptable for Sporting) and Dybala (but was Levy to blame for missing out on him?). But besides that Levy is doing it the right way. With the money that was invested in the stadium and the training facilities we could have bought dozens of players, but in the long term that is not sustainable.

The success under Pocchtetino and the very good football attracted new fans and i have the distinct feeling that quite a lot of them are glory hunters. They want quick success. But that never has been the Spurs way, Spurs want results but they want to achieve this in style and that is what attracts me in Spurs.

The big mistake Levy made imo is that in Mourinho he saw a manager who could bring quick success with a declining squad. Mourinho is not a manager for Spurs, he is an ultra pragmatists who doesn't care about the all important playing style. Mourinho builds his team upon a solid defense (well, that used to be the case, ours isn't exactly a fortress fore the moment). I have a distinct feeling that Mourinho is past it. Peak Mourinho would never have come to Spurs. Never, we are not a big enough club for Mourinho (and that is a mistake most of these fans also make, Spurs are not a massive club).

Spurs should go for a young manager who wants to play attractive football like Leipzig's Nagelsmann (but he is already too big for Spurs now, i think).

With Kane now likely out injured for a while I wonder which Defensive midfielder Mourinho's going to replace him with? :D

I am completely fed up with how the team are playing. I got into football and Spurs because of the type of football they played. I can understand that to win some games you have to be defensive too but I am sick of this bore all the time. The amount of games I have turned off because of the way we play.

I was being patient with Mourinho but I have had enough now but the worrying thing is that I don’t see anything positive happening in the near future.

Sorry, small rant over.

Back
Top Bottom