The Official Evo-Web PES 2018 Video Review - join in!

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
UK
Tranmere Rovers

Review Transcript Part I:

Hello Evo-Webbers, PES lovers, sceptics, haters and even the odd FIFA player too. Yes, I know you're watching. But it's okay, I'm not going to tell anyone.

Welcome to the official Evo-Web PES 2018 review, and this year, it's in video form! Fancy, eh? But there's a reason for it, and that reason is... Fake news!

You can't just say things any more! You have to prove yourself - even if we're talking about an opinion - and even when you DO, there's somebody, somewhere, who has a theory about your opinion.

You're being paid by Konami! You're being paid by EA! You're a womble! You're not even real! Nothing is real! Where are my pills? I know you're taking my money! Etc. Etc.

So I thought that this year, the best thing I could do is to SHOW you the game and try to back everything up as much as I can.

Before we kick off (get it?), I need to thank Adam and Asim for the support they've given to the community over the last few years. They both get a lot of stick over the game, and even get accused of dishonesty, but firstly, and this is an important point - WE'RE TALKING ABOUT A GAME, HERE...

But also, I've known Adam since he was a member of Evo-Web many moons ago, and he's never ceased to be a genuinely decent guy. He is Mr. Pro Evo as far as I'm concerned, he works his heart out for the game, and so does Asim. But they aren't developers and they don't make any development decisions - and I just want to thank them both for supporting the site with each release of the game we all love.

Or in the case of the FIFA fans, secretly love. (But it's okay.)

Right, let's get stuck into it, and let's start with what most of us play Pro Evo for... The gameplay.

Question. How do you play Pro Evo? You might love playing it against friends. You might love playing it online. You might love playing against the AI - and that's the category I fall into.

I am part of a generation of gamers that's dying out - I'm less interested in proving my skillz online (that's skills with a Z if you couldn't tell), and more interested in playing against an AI that recreates the style of play of my opponents.

If you're an offline kinda guy, it's pretty much unanimously agreed that the AI in Pro Evo does a much better job of recreating a team's real-life play style - and provides a LOT more variety - than FIFA does. (I'll try not to make too many comparisons, I promise.)

So, Pro Evo arrived on my doorstep, and the first thing I did was fire up the Master League. I couldn't wait to see how the AI had advanced this year.

But here's what I saw - see if you can spot a pattern.

[Clip here]

Okay, I'm just going to tell you now - the AI in 2018 absolutely loves a through-ball. Especially lofted through-balls. So much so, that I can continue talking while these clips run in the background. Just look at them all!

These clips were taken from just FIVE FIRST HALVES and one full match, across Top Player, Superstar and the new Legend difficulty. More about that later on.

You could argue that the back four could be deeper, or that the wing-backs are poor positionally, or that you're only seeing me play as one team here - but honestly, whichever team I played as (and more worryingly, no matter who I played against), and however I set up my defence, the AI looked to hit through-balls down the wing as a priority.

This is the first time I can recall playing against the AI in a PES game in recent memory, where I've thought to myself, "oh, these matches all feel a bit familiar".

The variety just wasn't there, and I felt no difference in the AI's approach between English league matches and Europa League football. (Speaking of which, why are Liverpool assigned to the Europa League? This is with the day one patch applied, too!)

Those of us who love playing the Master League has never exactly been full of things to do off-the-pitch, so it's a mode that lives and dies by the gameplay and the AI recreating each team's real play style.

But this gameplay issue is compounded by another - and that's just how easy it is to run around the pitch without being pressured.

As the human player, and again, seemingly against any AI team, you can run from your own half to the edge of the opposition's box without being challenged - or run down the wings and jog back and forth as much as you like.

[Clip here]

To reiterate, this is on Top Player, Superstar and maybe Legend too.

If you reduce the speed to -1, you can improve the balance a little, and suddenly you're a little more likely to be caught on the wings - but it doesn't fix everything.

There are so many bizarre little circumstances that didn't happen before - AI defenders will now pass the ball around in their own box rather than clear the danger, because they know they'll get away with it, and goalkeepers occasionally do strange things - like this (though I should stress that they're brilliant in general).

[Clip here]

As for Legend difficulty - which I know a lot of people have been getting excited about - it's a difficulty for people who want an impossible challenge as opposed to anything that represents real football. I've seen the AI string 40 perfect passes together while I had to sit and watch - it's not a setting that I can imagine many people playing on once they've tried it a few times.

This is all on top of the stuff from the demo that critics of the demo have been talking about on Evo-Web for a while now - passing on the lowest assist level being far too assisted, shooting not having much variety to it, a total lack of fouls, and the default game speed being too fast (after the open beta was lauded for daring to be slow).

With all this in mind, and being a bit disappointed to see how perfect the AI's passing was - in the demo and in the final game - I ran an experiment.

What would happen if I lowered every player on a single team's passing attributes to the lowest possible level, then play against that team on Professional, Top Player and Superstar?

Surely the amount of completed passes would drop considerably?

Well, here's the thing. It didn't. I'll upload the full video capture, from editing to playing the game, so that anybody who thinks this is "trolling" can take a look for themselves - but take a look at these clips.

[Clip here]

When this happens, it begs the question - just what do attributes like these actually matter? How are they used in the engine?

Shooting attributes feel similarly devoid of importance, with every player seemingly capable of hitting cannonballs. But I have to say, I do think that basic shooting - which is the default level of assistance for shooting in the game - DOES have more variety now than before.

Another positive that has to be mentioned is how good dribbling feels, now. My enjoyment of being on-the-ball now in PES has increased significantly, with dribbling feeling natural and easy to control. This pairs beautifully with the new "auto-shielding" system, that some voiced concern with when it was announced - but I feel like the balance here has been beautifully met. The new dribbling and auto-shielding work together in glorious harmony.

But what has to be the community's biggest and most common complaint is the lack of fouls in the game. Across my last ten games, I've experienced three fouls from the AI - and two of them were in the same game.

With the AI seemingly always keen to back off and avoid making a tackle unless it's an almost guaranteed steal, it's no wonder fouls don't exist - play is back and forth, end to end, counter attack after counter attack, with space all over the park.

When there is so much space in midfield, no battles need to take place, and no fouls will happen - but PES isn't really about creating gritty midfield battles any more. Nowadays, it's much more about creating a beautifully flowing game of football that makes your heart beat faster, every match you play.

In this sense, it delivers - the game flows seamlessly from defence to attack and back again - and if that's what you love about PES, you won't be disappointed.

It's worth saying that, firstly, Adam has stated on Twitter that the game's next scheduled patch may include some tweaks to encourage a few more fouls - though nothing is set in stone at this time.

Secondly, although I tried plenty of tactical fiddling to fix my complaints, there may well be option files released that change each team's tactics and "advanced instructions" settings that change the gameplay to create more midfield scraps and reduce the amount of through-balls the AI hits. But relying on the community for this makes me feel a little uncomfortable. It's easy to forget that the majority of people buy the game with no knowledge of option files, control methods or even difficulty levels - and it does take a little know-how (as well as a computer and a USB stick) to install an option file.

But there's no doubt that they will increase my enjoyment of the Master League tenfold when they're released over the coming months. Speaking of which...

• Staff
Review Transcript Part II:

The Master League itself has seen a few tweaks this year - and no, it's not an entirely revamped game mode, but I was actually charmed by it at first.

The new "Challenge" mode means that you have a chairman to please, and some of the messages I received during my Master League were pretty entertaining. Derby games have a bigger impact on your approval rating than normal league games, for example.

My favourite tweak is the addition of variable transfer fee negotiations - so instead of just hitting a "negotiate" button when you're trying to buy or sell a player, and hoping it goes your way, now there is an adjustable scale for the transfer fee, the yearly wage and even release clauses - if you decide to add them.

However, my joy at this little addition was short-lived, after I realised that I could buy players for £10m LESS than their valuation.

[Screenshot here]

Release clauses also generally don't make sense - in nearly all of my transfer negotiations, release clauses were insisted upon by the player, and they demanded that the release clause was lower than the bid I was making. So I'm buying a £25m rated player, for £15m, with a release clause of £12m. If that was real life, he'd be off to Paris St. Germain the second he scored his first goal.

The same ridiculous transfer deadline day restrictions as last year are present - where you are allotted 15 hours or so to complete your final deals, but every single action in any negotiation takes 2-3 hours to complete, even though all you want to do is say "yes" to a club and sell a player so that you can buy someone else (which would be, what, a five minute phone call?).

On top of that, retired players still appear in your youth squad, with the game telling you they're 15 now when they still have the face of a 40 year old, and with their skill level absolutely dwarfing everybody else's in your youth squad.

However, we're kind of used to this now - the transfer system in last year's PES was equally bad, with AI teams refusing to pay much more than a player's market value for your players, and asking for double the value for their players.

So it's sort of a step in the right direction - but for how many years are the slightest of baby steps acceptable? That is something only you can answer, because it's an entirely subjective thing.

I did see AI teams making lots of generally realistic-looking transfers immediately, with Oxlade-Chamberlain popping up at West Brom - okay, you might think that's unrealistic and that he should move to a "bigger" team, but it was nice to see the AI engaging in transfers early on.

I'm also told that in the "Challenge" mode, players can become unhappy and ask to leave. That's probably the biggest and most important addition to the Master League since the introduction of the Team Spirit rating.

There are also cut scenes that now appear before certain events, such as important matches and big player signings, but these are quick, seconds-long affairs that are almost blink-and-you'll-miss-it.

All of these little flourishes feel like a collection of "look, we know you still play this thing and we had to give you something" moments. Snippets of new code here, and cut-scenes there.

As I said before, the Master League has always depended on the gameplay to survive, and that's still the case - but with a year's worth of work, it could be turned into something special. As it stands, it's very, very slightly better than last year - and to be honest, if you love the gameplay, that's probably enough to keep you going until next year. Even if you're almost doing it begrudgingly. And in the same handful of stadiums. But at least we have the day/night selector now...

Moving away from the AI experience, playing against friends is as wonderful as ever, with human-controlled teams proving a lot more fun to play against.

Online play should be a barrel of laughs, particularly with the new online co-op modes that have been added - but as I record this voiceover, the servers still haven't been switched on, so it remains to be seen if they will stand up to the punishment they will receive over the coming months.

Random Selection matches with friends are a thing of beauty too, with its weird and wonderful mash-ups of your favourite teams. As always, PES with friends is an instant reminder of why we fell in love with the game in the first place.

And there you have it, really - PES in a nutshell. It reminds you of its soul in one moment, just as it reminds you that it's starting to get a little old and a little too determined not to join us in the 21st century the next.

It's difficult to put a score at the end of this review, because I loved PES 2017 and gave it an 8/10 this time last year - but I ended that review by saying that, with the gameplay and the AI having hit new heights, I would have loved Konami to spend the next year or so beefing up the game off-the-pitch.

What's happened is, the graphics have got better - oh, I should have said earlier, the graphics are absolutely incredible, though it's also got to be said that the photo-realistic faces look so jarring next to the generic ones, it's almost like watching a football match where a few of the players are wearing bins on their head with their faces drawn on.

While we're talking about presentation, something strange has been done to the commentary. Where previously the commentators would say a player's name and leave a pause either side of it, giving the impression that they are less commentators and more answering machine - "you have... THREE... messages... that's an excellent pass by... LALLANA..." - they've seemingly re-recorded player names, but this time they're cut off before they completely finish speaking.

It still has the pauses either side of it, so if anything, it sounds even more bizarre now - and you get lines like this award-winner.

[Clip here]

Anyway, where were we. Yes, the graphics have got better, the gameplay has got better again when you're on the ball - but off it, I'm not entirely sure that the balance is right, and I almost feel like the AI can't cope with the new freedom that's to be had with the ball at your feet.

Meanwhile, my interaction with my players in the Master League is still pretty much just swapping a few around on the teamsheet once a month.

With the leaps and bounds that gaming has made recently - now that we're in the era of PS4 Pros and Xbox One X's - I really hoped that football games, particularly PES, would take advantage of this power and start to achieve truly fresh and exciting things, with AI allowing more individual player thought, and more realistic recreations of their abilities.

But as I said earlier, reduce a player's passing attributes to the lowest possible, and you can see how little impact they actually have.

You couldn't say PES 2018 is a bad game - it's not, it's just carving out it's own modern niche for itself and it's a lot of fun in the right circumstances.

I just have to admit that, personally, I really hope that PES 2019 - that sounds weird saying it out loud, 2019 - addresses a lot more of the community's feedback than this year's game has.

MASTER LEAGUE SNEAK PEEK
plus FULL MATCH ON TOP PLAYER

FULL MATCH ON SUPERSTAR

FULL MATCH ON LEGEND

EDIT: Added video to prove (after being questioned) that issues like the wingers being able to run up and down unpressured happen on Superstar:

Love the review, but honestly it's getting me a little worried.
You know, as a player that almost only plays against the AI (sometimes in local co-op or, still locally, sometimes also against other human players) this review is definitely not something I would've loved to read.

The AI constantly spamming the same long ball to the flanks reminds me a lot about FIFA (and about why I came back to PES): all the teams doing similar (if not the same) buildup despite having different tactics.

Very honest review from Chris there . ..the most worrying thing for me in the video is the A.I not closing down the man on the ball. . .which explains the lack of fouls.

Thanks for this review. It's hard to watch because there are so many flaws with the AI and that's shocking. I'm really looking forward to the full game since the beta but this is disappointing. Nevertheless you did a great job and I hope some of these issues will be fixed.

Crushing verdict there. Great review! The opposition spamming balls on the wing is quite ridiculous, indeed. Hopefully, if enough people complain, there can be a patch fix or something for it.

Hey Chris just wondering. Did you get to try the game on "legend difficulty"?

I ask as from what I've seen on streams it is alot better and aggressive than superstar.

Chris was the clips recorded on top player? don't get anywhere near that kind of space or allowed to dribble like that on Superstar in ML

good review but how many years are people going to say "next year"
People been saying that was since PES08
Im glad im out of the PES loop now (first year ive not bought a day release copy since the first ever ISS on SNES) but it does feel odd not buying it.

Chris was the clips recorded on top player? don't get anywhere near that kind of space or allowed to dribble like that on Superstar in ML
All of the games featured are from a mixture of Top Player, Superstar and Legend. To the best of my recollection (in order of appearance):
  • One game against "Merseyside Blue" is on Top Player, the other games against them are on Superstar

• The games against "Tyneside" are on Superstar

• The game against "South Norwood" (where I use manual passing - see the yellow passing bar) is on Top Player

• The game against "Man Blue" (with short-passing attributes turned down to 40 for the entire team) is on Superstar

• The last game, against Dynamo Kiev, is on Legend

I could have been clearer in the video sorry, but I was putting it together at 4am, so I'm amazed it turned out even semi-logical to be honest...

But I can recreate everything in the video on Superstar, I promise you. I tend to see a defender "lock on" and come towards me, only to back off beyond a certain point if they don't think a tackle will be successful.

I 100% put that down as the main reason that fouls are non-existent - the AI just doesn't put itself in a situation where it "takes a risk", as it were. Especially not in Superstar. The logic is black-and-white.

If you don't get that much space, then... I mean, I'm really glad! Perhaps it's my style of play. Who knows. I can only tell you (and show you) my experience.

Hey Chris just wondering. Did you get to try the game on "legend difficulty"?

I ask as from what I've seen on streams it is alot better and aggressive than superstar.
Yes, I mention it in the review. On Legend the AI doesn't play actual football - average teams ping the ball around like Barcelona. It's incredibly difficult - but not in an "I've got to concentrate all game long", realistic kind of way. More in a Dark Souls, the-game-must-win kind of way. It's not for me, and I'd be surprised if many people play an ML that way!

I mean, maybe I'm just a massive noob, but... :BLINK:

Last edited:
Is there anything specific that you guys would like to see?

I was thinking of putting together some more videos tonight - full matches on Top Player, Superstar and Legend difficulty.

Would you like to see them all with the same team, so that it's a fair comparison (with all variables equal except for the difficulty level)?

Let us know!

Hi Chris,

Was any competitive games recorded on Superstar? In exhibition Superstar is awful and gives you a ton of space but in ML im struggling and it just doesn't look the same as it does when I am watching your video, enjoyed the review btw.

Look at the 7:14 mark. Look how Ashley Williams gives up on Lallana and starts running away from him when he is through on goal. I have never even seen that in PES 2017. It's like "Here you go son, have a goal."

maybe you should find another game to play if you don't like this. PES 2018 is easily the best game in the series and PES 2017 being the second best. A lot of the issues you are showing on the video is just nit-picking and some of them aren't even an issue. I have fouls, CPU doesn't through pass all the time, bad player mis pass a lot, there is not huge space especially in superstar. The part where you showed Mane running past all the players is fine because first of all he is Mane. He has a lot of pace and good dribbling skills. Secondly, it seems like you played that match on amateur or beginner. You need to have a clear head when you do review but I agree with you on the graphics bits. The graphics are absolutely gorgeous

Honest and good review mate.
It's tricky,knowing what to do,remember last years game,and being on the fence (played more Fuffa then)
But here I am,10+ season on ML,and acctually loved (most) it.
So I'm gonna go for it this year,hopefully a patch,but most importantly some editing will fix some issues.
I never ever play ex games,unless for practice reasons.
The make or break point for me ,game play wise,is always ML.
That can only be experienced by myself I guess,and usually takes a season.
Like I said Chris,honest and good review.
Now go watch your Bake off mate

maybe you should find another game to play if you don't like this. PES 2018 is easily the best game in the series and PES 2017 being the second best. A lot of the issues you are showing on the video is just nit-picking and some of them aren't even an issue. I have fouls, CPU doesn't through pass all the time, bad player mis pass a lot, there is not huge space especially in superstar. The part where you showed Mane running past all the players is fine because first of all he is Mane. He has a lot of pace and good dribbling skills. Secondly, it seems like you played that match on amateur or beginner. You need to have a clear head when you do review but I agree with you on the graphics bits. The graphics are absolutely gorgeous

If they are issues for the reviewer then why wouldn't they mention it? what you mean to say is that they aren't issues for you, not that they don't exist. Personally i feel that the review is at the least completely honest and shares information over concerns I had from the demo and previous iterations of the game.

You're right on one thing, it is the best and 2017 is the second best of the series, but it doesn't mean that the game is free of issues.

Who are you implying does not have a clear head?.Hope You apologize for that quickly.

You need a clear head before You reply.

maybe you should find another game to play if you don't like this
Wow. Don't really know what to say to that. "If you don't like the game, don't review it!" Er... That... That's not how reviews work...

it seems like you played that match on amateur or beginner
I'll upload a version tonight and show the difficulty selection beforehand. Though I expect then the response will be "well you've clearly messed around with the opposition team's tactics", and I mean. At that point, I've just got to give up trying to prove anything, haven't I.

Does this theory explain the constant through-balls, too? I mean, if you put the game on a childlike difficulty level, surely it would stop doing things that are ridiculously effective...

I don´t know about you guys but I seen the FB´s running away from the ball all the time in PES 2017. As soon as I made a pass into or entered crossing zone, the FB leaves that area and tries to defend closer to the box, even if it means leaving you lots of space for the cross. I think it´s more of a defending mentality thing. I don´t like it, and it looks like it´s still present in this year. Funny thing is, that has never made me stop playing the game.

Thanks for the great review Chris. So the youth regens with 40 year old faces still exists, wonderful. Try simulating ML for 3-4 seasons do other teams actually make transfers, because in previous games they would have the same line up for 5 seasons straight.

sorry mate, but i totally agree with chris, and i love the game trust me, but all the things they he mentioned in the review are evident in all the videos that you can found on the net. Defense not press enough high leaving too much space and without catch-up the players are just unable to recover on you.

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

Excellent review matey. I have always been a bit concerned about the game since the online beta if I'm honest. That is one reason why i stopped posting on the thread as i didnt want to come across so negative when quite a few were loving it. I almost turned your review off when you were highlighting the lack of pressing because it reminded me of playing old PES on Beginner or Regular and it started annoying me that the gameplay is like that. And the point with the Passing stats being reduced kind of makes me feel cheated. I tested 2017 last year, not by reducing stats, but by playing GK and DEF up front and they did as well as a job as my strikers.

It seems that stats have very little affect now but player skill cards do.

This is the first time i will not be buying it from day one. So i am really pleased that you took the time to review it in video form as i know we think pretty much the same. So thanks for saving me 40 squid matey. :TU:

Back
Top Bottom