The Retro FIFA Discussion Thread (All FIFA games by EA are welcome!)

Hmm ,not sure if this is the right thread.
But here goes.
How was the FIFA manager games?
Remember having one back when (one of the first one's)
You could manage and play right?
Did it have sliders?

I played them when it was in the FA Premier League Football Manager phase. Highlights from that game:

1. Player growth was handled on a set path, and in one go. At a particular point in the game, a player would reach his maximum potential overnight. The most memorable individual was Michael Madsen of Bari. He started with an OVR of 68 and you could sign him for about £1m. A few months into the game he would - without any training or particular instruction - rocket up to 95 OVR and be one of the best players in the world, worth £25m.

2. The CPU-controlled clubs wouldn't manage their squads properly and end up with a dearth of players in certain areas of the pitch. I won a Champions League final by nearly double figures as Real Madrid were forced to play Steve McManaman in goal. About two or three times a season you'd put a shedload of goals past an outfield player.

3. Player swap deals wouldn't collapse if one party didn't agree to terms. Trick was to offer a fringe player and a massive wad of cash to a big club for a star player. The CPU would accept and the players would be offered contracts. The fringe player would often turn down their side of the move in the fear they wouldn't play regularly, but that didn't scupper the move. If the star player accepted your terms you were golden, while also keeping the fringe player and your money.

My mate and I accepted the nonsense as part of the fun and had some amazing two-player saves. It's maybe just as well I didn't give Championship Manager the chance I should've. If that shit EA game took up that much of my time, Champ Man may well have ended me.

They were fairly awful IMO, but there is still a community out there that plays them, I think.

Back in the day, there was a thing called "Football Fusion" where you could connect FIFA 2004 to Total Club Manager 2004. It's the dream... In-between matches, you manage your team with full management-game features (players whose morale changes in a realistic manner depending on if they're playing or not, negotiating contracts, answering to the press)...

But it was a pain to do it - to save your game, then quit, load up the other game, import it, play for a bit, then save it, quit, import it back again...

...and FIFA was awful at the time, let alone the management game (which was okay apart from the match engine, but still nothing compared to Championship Manager or, as it's now known, Football Manager).

That rings a bell ,football fusion!
I always get "FIFA manager 14" as an ad on YouTube etc ,that's why I was curious.
Thanks Chris

I played them when it was in the FA Premier League Football Manager phase. Highlights from that game:

1. Player growth was handled on a set path, and in one go. At a particular point in the game, a player would reach his maximum potential overnight. The most memorable individual was Michael Madsen of Bari. He started with an OVR of 68 and you could sign him for about £1m. A few months into the game he would - without any training or particular instruction - rocket up to 95 OVR and be one of the best players in the world, worth £25m.

2. The CPU-controlled clubs wouldn't manage their squads properly and end up with a dearth of players in certain areas of the pitch. I won a Champions League final by nearly double figures as Real Madrid were forced to play Steve McManaman in goal. About two or three times a season you'd put a shedload of goals past an outfield player.

3. Player swap deals wouldn't collapse if one party didn't agree to terms. Trick was to offer a fringe player and a massive wad of cash to a big club for a star player. The CPU would accept and the players would be offered contracts. The fringe player would often turn down their side of the move in the fear they wouldn't play regularly, but that didn't scupper the move. If the star player accepted your terms you were golden, while also keeping the fringe player and your money.

My mate and I accepted the nonsense as part of the fun and had some amazing two-player saves. It's maybe just as well I didn't give Championship Manager the chance I should've. If that shit EA game took up that much of my time, Champ Man may well have ended me.
Ha ha ,yeah I'm glad I didn't go bananas with CM back in the day.
If this game pops up more in my ads on Google/YouTube might go for it.
I had one of those on PS2 I think.
Thanks Flip

Played some Fifa 11 on pc yesterday. Seems like a funnier game than I remembered. Tempted to do some effort to pick up 12 from somewhere.

Played some Fifa 11 on pc yesterday. Seems like a funnier game than I remembered. Tempted to do some effort to pick up 12 from somewhere.
It's worth the search. FIFA12 is really decent IMO.

I hear 17 is the best of a bad bunch from the new engine. Any good in comparison to like 16 or 14?
I've played A LOT of FIFA since 2014 and the one I still remember for its realism is FIFA17.

It's worth the search. FIFA12 is really decent IMO.

I've played A LOT of FIFA since 2014 and the one I still remember for its realism is FIFA17.
Actually I finally bought a key some days ago, from one of "those" sites.. luckily it works fine. Looking forward to re-explore it. However, for the moment I'm incredibly, an unexpectedly hooked on Fifa 11. Incredible how my perception about it was completely subverted in the last days.

Actually I finally bought a key some days ago, from one of "those" sites.. luckily it works fine. Looking forward to re-explore it. However, for the moment I'm incredibly, an unexpectedly hooked on Fifa 11. Incredible how my perception about it was completely subverted in the last days.
What usually makes it for me with those games is just the old... "environment" it creates. The interface, the teams, the songs, everything just makes up for a great game and you can get hooked to a new career mode save pretty easily!

Man I'm loving Fifa 11 on pc SO much. Shame on me considering that when it came out I was completely focused on the negatives (plus the fact it wasn't on par with the NG version) and I discarded it pretty quickly. My casual Liverpool career turned in a true grind that unfortunately saw me sacked some games from the end of the first round, but not before seeing every kind of battle and result. I had teams parking the bus, I was dominated in others (especially in the one against United, in which they buried me with 5 goals), I had beautiful back and forths and boring 0-0s. Special note on the CPU aggressiveness.. truly exquisite and kinda unexpected! They aren't shy in tackling you both standing and sliding in every possible situation and that's exactly how it should. I put togheter a small video to give some good examples:

would like to underline the last one, a match in which I was winning 1-0, in the final minutes I thought I could calmly play the ball from the defense.. but the guy savagely tackled me and I risked the draw on the subsequent action. Really nice to see. Loving the weather as well, both the rain and the snow do return a nice feeling on the ball and the field.

Well, what to say? This retake is another example on why the more I play, the more the sim/arcade discussion turns more or less irrelevant to me. In this game ball physics in the crosses is kinda laughable, often inertia in the players is too light and aerial game looks super random, just to say a few. Scripting is also pretty savage to say another. Yet there is variety, there is depth.. scoring is generally enjoyable and varied, matches feels so alive. Every kind of situation happens during a game. The career does have some lovely features like conditions significantly adjusting stats, or board closely monitoring you. It's.. well, fun. A really nice balance of lighter and heavier elements. I'm not asking much more really.

Liked it to the point I had to order the Ps3 version (hoping the dust has not eaten my poor console lol) which I found new for like 10 euros on Amazon. Considering the pc version is practically ported Fifa 10, and 12 revolutionized things quite heavily, reading all the stuff they introduced in NG 11 I'm really curious to bridge the gap now.

Hi! I'm new to this forum, and mostly a FIFA retro gamer. I'm from Argentina. I've played a bunch of old FIFA, but RTWC 98 remains as my favourite. A couple of years ago I decided to make some MODs for it, and I know it's not like the MODs made for newer versions of FIFA with detailed jerseys, boots and faces, but I think that beyond the game limitations it's something fun.

I have MODs for every World Cup season since 1994, and for every season since 2017/2018 to 2021/2022, some are on my youtube channel: (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2iIIjoYYJwA4atdLj4q_CQ/videos) and others on Twitter (https://twitter.com/dload87).

For others FIFA titles, I've played always on PC... FIFA International Soccer, RTWC 98 to 2002 (2002 was my first dissapointment with the saga), 06 to 08, 11 to 13 (13 have a special place in my heart), 19 and now FIFA 21.

Just to mention another football games, besides PES (6/2008/2009/2013/2017), I remember good times with Actua Soccer 2, UEFA Euro 96 and the PC Futbol franchise.

Glad to find this forum! Greetings to all!

Hi! I'm new to this forum, and mostly a FIFA retro gamer. I'm from Argentina. I've played a bunch of old FIFA, but RTWC 98 remains as my favourite. A couple of years ago I decided to make some MODs for it, and I know it's not like the MODs made for newer versions of FIFA with detailed jerseys, boots and faces, but I think that beyond the game limitations it's something fun.

I have MODs for every World Cup season since 1994, and for every season since 2017/2018 to 2021/2022, some are on my youtube channel: (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2iIIjoYYJwA4atdLj4q_CQ/videos) and others on Twitter (https://twitter.com/dload87).

For others FIFA titles, I've played always on PC... FIFA International Soccer, RTWC 98 to 2002 (2002 was my first dissapointment with the saga), 06 to 08, 11 to 13 (13 have a special place in my heart), 19 and now FIFA 21.

Just to mention another football games, besides PES (6/2008/2009/2013/2017), I remember good times with Actua Soccer 2, UEFA Euro 96 and the PC Futbol franchise.

Glad to find this forum! Greetings to all!

Wow - I didn't know anyone did anything like this! I'll be checking them out for sure!

Wow - I didn't know anyone did anything like this! I'll be checking them out for sure!
Yeah, I noticed that a couple of years ago, so I decided to revive this classic... I've done this in my childhood, but had no internet for share it that time haha... Thank you for the mention, it helps a lot!

Yeah, I noticed that a couple of years ago, so I decided to revive this classic... I've done this in my childhood, but had no internet for share it that time haha... Thank you for the mention, it helps a lot!

No problem! Whenever I mention anything about FIFA on Twitter, RTWC98 isn't far away! A strong contender for the all-time favourite FIFA.

Question for the retro FIFA fans here: which edition was it where there was a Create A Club feature similar to the one in FIFA 22? FIFA 09 or FIFA 10? I think it might even be FIFA 15, but that feels too recent somehow. (FIFA 15 definitely had create-a-player, as I remember the delicious sense of sacrilege when making a Castolo for my team. We were waiting for PES 2015 until November that year, so FIFA got a good look-in.)

And which FIFA was it where you could import a picture of yourself? Guessing FIFA15 again for that one, but I'm just not sure, and I want to go retro shopping.

Dedicated quite some decent time to Fifa 11 Ps3. Been playing it on and off since I've picked it up. I'm really appreciating this game, I've been doing a Parma career, which was a mid-low table team at the times, and the thing I'm liking the most is that it's such a different experience going against other low tables compared with powehouses. Best examples against Roma, in which Totti was doing the difference with a lot of key passes; it was so evident that I had to resort to man marking; I saw him remain in the ground two times after two tackles, so I even tried to injury him as a legit tactic, but I got carried away and end up having a red card and ultimately losing.. was a nice situation to see, anyway. The physicality that is still largely present in the game allows for this kind of game and there aren't many other footies in which trying to play hard might be a solid strategy.
By the way, the second example was against Milan; probably the last truly great one, with Pirlo, Kakà, Seedorf, Ibra and so on. They smashed me pretty hard.
That said, the whole game is really varied and balanced and I can understand why for a lot people it was lowkey one of the bests. Even despite the things I don't like it feels like a classic for sure. It's a shame it isn't on pc and for reasons I'm a bit lazy firing up Ps3, or I'll play it more.

I've also finally found this bad guy, among the old dvds, yesterday:

256597357_1587911918215999_8083396528508516748_n.jpg

and played it a bit as well. As for Fifa 11 on pc (which should basically be Fifa 10 on Ps3), I'm pretty sure I've underrated this too cause the few matches I did were pretty fun and stats actually made sense (something I thought didn't at times). When I first bought it, it was my first "new" Fifa and my Pes shaped mind prevented me to see it obectively and enjoy the good. Fifa 09 It's probably the less popular of those years cause I've read more about other titles from 08 to 11, compared to this, which is practically ignored in the discussions of that era.. feels sort like the Pes 4 of Fifa saga in a sense, lol. Well, I bet I'll retake it more seriously as well, sooner or later. Probably there isn't anything that Fifa 10/11 pc doesn't offer, but even playing with different rosters does have his own charm. I'm also considering searching for 08 and 10 WC as well (you guys surely don't need to sell me the latter as it's probably the most hyped Fifa on this forum that I've never played :D ).

To draw the final line, retaking these old Fifas made me mainly realize one, kinda big thing: games were probably funnier without tactical defending. I'm not an hater of TD, and in ignite/best frostbite titles it was probably a good choice, overall.. but I think it's not a case either if physicality often suffered since 12 (when it was introduced). You may lost some "skill base game" by having the old legacy system, but boy it feels much more genuine without invisible walls and whatnot, and with the freedom to hit other players (and be hit yourself, as the cpu was way less shy to do so) consistently.

I still remember my campaign with Brescia Calcio at university, playing FIFA 2003. I really loved that game, it was probably the FIFA I played the most in my life. First, I think it had a really cool soundtrack! I particularly liked this tune!

Man, this brings memories. Playing with Roberto Baggio, Shinji Ono (I transferred him to Brescia), Stephen Appiah, Jonathan Bachini, man those were some great times. I played so many tournaments with my flat mates at the time, I remember coming back from class and just going straight to the PS2, playing with clubs, and international (Colombia at the time had a mediocre squad, but it was still so fun to go against my friends of different nationalities). I found gameplay to be very smooth and enjoyable, and I bet if I played today I'd still have lots of fun.

I played FIFA 98, 2000, 2006, 13, and 15 quite a bit, but Fifa Football 2003 has a special place in my memories, for sure!

Some gameplay:

Last edited:
A couple of days ago I bought FIFA 08 for PS2 from a street vendor. I made ISO/BIN files but I can't get it to work well on the PCSX2 emulator. It's either very slow or the players have strange black stripes and patterns all over their bodies. Can anybody share their PCSX2 settings if they were able to emulate any of the FIFA games for PS2?

A couple of days ago I bought FIFA 08 for PS2 from a street vendor. I made ISO/BIN files but I can't get it to work well on the PCSX2 emulator. It's either very slow or the players have strange black stripes and patterns all over their bodies. Can anybody share their PCSX2 settings if they were able to emulate any of the FIFA games for PS2?

Odd. I'm pretty sure I've tried 08 (certainly World Cup 2006, 06 and 07) and it was fine but that's on PCSX2 through RetroArch on Series S. It struggles on higher resolutions though, obviously far more resource intensive that PES.

Edit: just realised this is of no help whatsoever. Apologies for that!

Last edited:
It actually is, if it's far more resource intensive than PES, then it could be because of my computer. Thanks!

Ah, good! Yeah, PES could run in 4K no problem. FIFA would toil at 1080, especially at cut scenes. World Cup 2006 was really bad, almost grinding to a halt when the teams entered the pitch or at goal celebrations. As soon as the crowd appears on screen it's treacle.

I wonder what kind of graphic card I need in order for it to run smoothly...
why not try the PC version? In my Lenovo G510 with intel hd integrated graphics, i run up to pes2017 in low settings and medium graphics with gameselector tool.

From FIFAs i tried up to 2011 amd it runsneven in high settings with microsturers.

For FIFA 08, i assume if you can run any of pes 2011~2013,you can run thebPC version.

Ah, good! Yeah, PES could run in 4K no problem. FIFA would toil at 1080, especially at cut scenes. World Cup 2006 was really bad, almost grinding to a halt when the teams entered the pitch or at goal celebrations. As soon as the crowd appears on screen it's treacle.
It tells you just how fantastically well PES used to be optimised compared to FIFA too.

Which is interesting as the player models obviously have a far greater polygon count then the smeared forms of life on the PS2 FIFA games.

Back
Top Bottom