The Retro FIFA Discussion Thread (All FIFA games by EA are welcome!)

A bit late to this discussion, haha!

I'm still having trouble differentiating between FIFA 17 and 18, they both seem very similar to me! Although I think I prefer FIFA 17 by a little bit, can't really pinpoint why, but it seems like the difficulties are more balanced. But they are both solid games.

But to me, FIFA 19 is better. :) One thing I really love about 19 are the variety of goals, I have seen tons of types, from screamers to errors, tap-ins to angled shots. I really like this edition!

Speaking of Depor, I finished 2 seasons with them in FIFA 15 and really enjoyed it. I think that FIFA 15's sliders are amongst the best in terms of responsiveness, meaning that one point makes a major difference. Now I want to try FIFA 14 with the 17/18 season Moddingway patch, as it includes a lot of different leagues!

I usually use a tweaked version of OS sliders, (except for 16 where I use Anth's gameplay mod, so sliders are default)..

If there is such a thing as a football game which almost ticks all the boxes for me, it would be PES 2017, although that discussion belongs in a different thread I guess. :LOL: But in terms of FIFA, it's really hard to say. I actually like all of FIFAS from 2007-2019! (spanning several generations). Two things I love about FIFA are semi passing and sliders.

Last edited:
Didn't know where to put this (I think that the FIFA 18 video thread is dead and buried), but... I think that this goal deserves to be preserved anyway.

Great goal, @rockstrongo!

Didn't know where to put this (I think that the FIFA 18 video thread is dead and buried), but... I think that this goal deserves to be preserved anyway.

Great goal, @rockstrongo!

Man had forgotten about that goal.
We had some great games back then sir.
About time we repeat that again
Thanks for posting it aLe

Got 4-5 games played on my Borussia Mönchengladbach career (Fifa 18) and i really like it.
At the same time i have a 2nd one with Huddersfield in the PL
Same sliders, same settings but two very different games for sure.
My BL save plays great, but my PL save is hopeless, cpu way to fast and tiki raka orientated
Feels like its super overpowered when playing the premiership

I got sacked by Gimnasia in my 1st career mode on FIFA 14.

I finished 16th in both phases of the league. Over the course of the season, they gave me £6 😂 then demanded I sign a worldie midfielder to bolster the team. The budget was only about £200k when I started which quickly went sending youth scouts out.

Anyway, Rosario Central gave me a job. Their squad is full of 65-70 rated players, Gimnasia was more like 58-65. You can really tell and feel the differences those few ratings make and I set up a tactic to suit what was already in the squad.

After 9 games, we are 3rd, still unbeaten and that run included a 2-0 win at Gimnasia who I now what to see get smashed every week.

Also, had my best game on any footy game for years. With the confidence of our form, I went away to All Boys who were bottom (I was top at the time having played a game more than Boca & Velez). I went attacking and was 3 up in 30mins. They got 1 just before HT, then I came out and made it 4. Last 20mins they went mental. Brought some lump on up top and just peppered me. They got it back to 3-4 then in the last min my 'keeper saved a 1-on-1 to secure 3 points. Hell of a game and I love the fact in this edition teams switch up their tactics.

Can't belive I'd never played this before 🙄

I got sacked by Gimnasia in my 1st career mode on FIFA 14.

I finished 16th in both phases of the league. Over the course of the season, they gave me £6 😂 then demanded I sign a worldie midfielder to bolster the team. The budget was only about £200k when I started which quickly went sending youth scouts out.

Anyway, Rosario Central gave me a job. Their squad is full of 65-70 rated players, Gimnasia was more like 58-65. You can really tell and feel the differences those few ratings make and I set up a tactic to suit what was already in the squad.

After 9 games, we are 3rd, still unbeaten and that run included a 2-0 win at Gimnasia who I now what to see get smashed every week.

Also, had my best game on any footy game for years. With the confidence of our form, I went away to All Boys who were bottom (I was top at the time having played a game more than Boca & Velez). I went attacking and was 3 up in 30mins. They got 1 just before HT, then I came out and made it 4. Last 20mins they went mental. Brought some lump on up top and just peppered me. They got it back to 3-4 then in the last min my 'keeper saved a 1-on-1 to secure 3 points. Hell of a game and I love the fact in this edition teams switch up their tactics.

Can't belive I'd never played this before 🙄
Sounds amazing mate, these old games really plays well.
And tactics matter for sure.
Couldn't help myself so installed 15 and playing my old Torino save.
Brilliant games

Sounds amazing mate, these old games really plays well.
And tactics matter for sure.
Couldn't help myself so installed 15 and playing my old Torino save.
Brilliant games

I really like 15 as well but there is just something with 14 that's hitting the spot.

It's a joke that we have to be playing games from 10 years ago to get any form of enjoyment but to be honest, I'm not as in touch with footy as I was back then, I guess where I've hit 40, the introduction of VAR, the cost of tickets in England etc... I've lost a bit of love for all things 'modern' footy.

The other thing is, there just ain't the players I enjoy watching like 10 years ago. Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Sneijder, Ibra, Pirlo, Marchisio, Robben, Ribery I could name at least 50 that I'd go out my way to watch on TV or highlights.

I think nowadays players are as much social media stars as they are footballers and I can't be doing with all that. Don't get me wrong, I still love watching Villa play but give me a pint, a tray of chips and Weston Super Mare v St Albans and I'm as happy as Larry.

I really like 15 as well but there is just something with 14 that's hitting the spot.

It's a joke that we have to be playing games from 10 years ago to get any form of enjoyment but to be honest, I'm not as in touch with footy as I was back then, I guess where I've hit 40, the introduction of VAR, the cost of tickets in England etc... I've lost a bit of love for all things 'modern' footy.

The other thing is, there just ain't the players I enjoy watching like 10 years ago. Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Sneijder, Ibra, Pirlo, Marchisio, Robben, Ribery I could name at least 50 that I'd go out my way to watch on TV or highlights.

I think nowadays players are as much social media stars as they are footballers and I can't be doing with all that. Don't get me wrong, I still love watching Villa play but give me a pint, a tray of chips and Weston Super Mare v St Albans and I'm as happy as Larry.
Agree!
Both games and players has become uninteresting tbh
Also the game itself has become pretty boring.
Rather see lower league football to be fair

Bang on. I've been saying this for ages. The number 10 creative maverick playmaker, has almost become extinct and that player was the main reason why I fell in love with football. It's a tragedy.

Also, look at the overall quality in the top Euro/South American/African teams. With the exception of a couple, there is a huge downgrade in quality and creative/technical ability. When comparing the Euro teams from like 1960's to 2010-15 and African teams (except Nigerian strikers) from mid 90's to 2010-15. As teams now focus on system, system, system and tactics at expense of expression and technique.

I've never ever seen such underwhelming offensive options in the Dutch, Brazilian, Italian, Spanish squads, probably German too.

FIFA 14 is still my fave ever FIFA, something about it, just everything works and feels right.

I've been playing FIFA 11 :) As just found PC app called Game Ranger which allows you to instantly find old games and join rooms, to still play retro LAN games online. Everyday there are 1v1 and 2v2 rooms.

FIFA 11 is still great, no modern SkILLZ nonsense and a very solid game.

Last edited:
Guys, speaking of 14..

I've been debating whether to install Moddingway Patch or FIFA Infinity Patch.
FIP is more complete since it has more leagues, (including all 10 South American Leagues and many Asian Leagues in the switcher), but I've noticed that stats could be more accurate.. For example, in my team Millonarios, some forwards have higher defensive ratings than the defenders.
Moddingway's AIO 17.5 looks solid, less leagues (They add a few European and South American) but I think stats might be more accurate.

What patches (if any) do you guys use for FIFA 14? I wholeheartedly agree, it's a great game! :TU:

Hi, I'm having a problem with FIFA 14, a bug with the crowd, the crowd disappears and then appears, I'm using a patch at the moment, but I've already tested it with fair play and the problem persists, it happens in all stadiums, whether standard EA or stadium package. I use an AMD video card and tested it with the older drivers and the newer drivers, but nothing worked. Has anyone seen this bug and know what it could be?

Last edited:
Hi, I'm having a problem with FIFA 14, a bug with the crowd, the crowd disappears and then appears, I'm using a patch at the moment, but I've already tested it with fair play and the problem persists, it happens in all stadiums, whether standard EA or stadium package. I use an AMD video card and tested it with the older drivers and the newer drivers, but nothing worked. Has anyone seen this bug and know what it could be?

Welcome to the club, man.
The same happens to me with my RX 5700 XT and on Soccergaming there was another user that had the same issue with RX 6700 XT too.
It looks like there's something with the newest AMD cards (the game runs without issues, as it has always done, on my old PC which has a R9 270X video card).

I've given up and I'm either playing it on my old PC or on Xbox One.

The same happens to me with my RX 5700 XT and on Soccergaming there was another user that had the same issue with RX 6700 XT too.
It looks like there's something with the newest AMD cards (the game runs without issues, as it has always done, on my old PC which has a R9 270X video card).

I think this is a "LOD" issue. The issue here is that crowds disappear when you move on from a certain area near the crowd and appear again when you come back to a certain area near the crowd again. Since I don't play FIFA 14 (almost 7 years since I last played it), if you can tweak Crowd LOD or LOD by any means, it may fix this issue. Just my assumption.

My card is the 5600xt, the strangest thing is that I didn't have this problem, it started a few days ago. I've already installed older video drivers and nothing has helped. I'm going to do some more tests here with some dlls, I remember having fixed a lag problem on an older Pro Evolution Soccer with dlls, who knows, maybe I'll get some results

I think this is a "LOD" issue. The issue here is that crowds disappear when you move on from a certain area near the crowd and appear again when you come back to a certain area near the crowd again. Since I don't play FIFA 14 (almost 7 years since I last played it), if you can tweak Crowd LOD or LOD by any means, it may fix this issue. Just my assumption.
So I've already made some changes to the lod, I've also deactivated it and I wasn't successful. But I'll do some more tests here

After some testing I finally managed to solve the bug with the fans disappearing. I always used SweetFx in FIFA 14, to improve the graphics a little. Even though I deactivated sweetfx the problem persisted, so I tested some dlls, until finally the problem was solved, from the tests I carried out the fundamental dll is d3d9.dll. The bad side is that I won't be able to use sweetfx, which for me has always been important to improve the game's dark and grayish graphics, but the important thing is that it's now working very well.

After some testing I finally managed to solve the bug with the fans disappearing. I always used SweetFx in FIFA 14, to improve the graphics a little. Even though I deactivated sweetfx the problem persisted, so I tested some dlls, until finally the problem was solved, from the tests I carried out the fundamental dll is d3d9.dll. The bad side is that I won't be able to use sweetfx, which for me has always been important to improve the game's dark and grayish graphics, but the important thing is that it's now working very well.

Here's a video I found which changes colors and pitches for FIFA 14, might be helpful..
Note: Looking at the comments. this patch makes some users' games a bit laggy, so use with caution.

Here's a video I found which changes colors and pitches for FIFA 14, might be helpful..
Note: Looking at the comments. this patch makes some users' games a bit laggy, so use with caution.

Thanks for the recommendation, but this mod is SweetFX, I used it previously, it has the dll d3d9.dll, which is the ddl I'm using now to fix the problem with the fans disappearing, it's a shame I can't use it as it creates conflict with the dll , but I'm now making some color and contrast changes using the AMD Adrenaline graphics panel.

1712887006592.png

Cutscene presentation is too good on rtwc 06 that even getting a red card felt entertaining. The facial expressions the players and referees make and the small fight they start looks more realistic than current fifa games. Also I've noticed the CPU in this game commit fouls and getting cards a lot more than newer games. Not that the overall AI is that good.

View attachment 273937

Cutscene presentation is too good on rtwc 06 that even getting a red card felt entertaining. The facial expressions the players and referees make and the small fight they start looks more realistic than current fifa games. Also I've noticed the CPU in this game commit fouls and getting cards a lot more than newer games. Not that the overall AI is that good.
Take it there's no new development for this being playable in Xenia?

Does anyone know how to change FIFA 20's commentaries?

Found a useful thread for FIFA 20 commentaries here, but I followed directions (pasted unzipped content in FIFA 20 directory and it didn't work).

I've read that something has to be done with hex editor as well? Please let me know if any of you have any experience with this, since I'd like to experiment with different commentary languages. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom