The future of Japanese game developing/PES

jeblo05

League 1
27 May 2003
Tuebingen
1. FC Koeln
I'm not sure to post this in the PES forums, but as this topic has huge impact (as seen in the latest PES games) on PES, I'll start this discussion here:

Yamaoka: Japanese game development 'is in trouble'

The man who makes Silent Hill sound so creepy, Konami's Akira Yamaoka, has been working with an American team to bring you Silent Hill 5 and as a result, has a pretty unique perspective on how Japanese and U.S. teams compare. His conclusion? The future isn't particularly bright for Japanese houses. "[The U.S teams'] graphical and technical ability is amazing," he says. "There's a huge gap, actually. They're very advanced. I'm Japanese, and I think this is not just with Silent Hill but with the whole of the industry -- I look at what American developers are doing and I think wow ... Japan is in trouble."

He elaborates on the problems, citing too much pressure on aging developers and the language barrier slowing some development. We would have guessed that the troubles would stem from trying to work under the constant threat of ninja attack, but it should be noted that we're not big readers.

source:
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/26/yamaoka-japanese-game-development-is-in-trouble/

When you have a closer look to hardware/software sales in Japan, you'll see the main focus is casual gaming/NINTENTO. It seems "next generation" hasn't even begun in Japan as there is no interest/need in high definition graphics or sophisticated AI.

As long as Japanese companies still aim to the Japanese market first, we won't see much progress on PES.

Good find.

Well we all knew that Seabass and co. had problems with the next-gen console and I guess this identifies the problem to a 'T' that Konami had last year with PES 2008. The game had terrible graphics and could not even run smoothley on the PS3 at all!

I think the Japanese have prided themselves for so long at game development on the old gen and I guess getting Western help in an area which they believe they excel in could prove to be too humiliating for them.

Last edited:
search for "Pro Yakyuu Spirit 5" (which is, among other things, a Konami game by the way) or "Gran Turismo 5: Prologue" on YouTube and you'll realize that the lackluster graphic of the latest iterations of the PES saga isn't a matter of nationality, brand or market, it's simply an issue circumscribed to that particular development team Takatsuka has been lazily leading.

Last edited:
When you have a closer look to hardware/software sales in Japan, you'll see the main focus is casual gaming/NINTENTO. It seems "next generation" hasn't even begun (...) as there is no interest/need in high definition graphics or sophisticated AI.

You've just given a drop-dead, right-on-the-money description of any current electronic entertainment market, it ain't just Japan. Newsflash btw.

Back
Top Bottom