The control system

ryu1999

Non-League
30 June 2008
How you all doing?
The reason why I have created this thread is to hear everyone opinion regarding the control system i.e. the addition of manual passing and losing out on the skill system which has always been implemented on to the right analogue.

Let’s forget about the game play and how it doesn’t have the magic the PS2 versions had.
What I want to know is anyone else annoyed by this new control method?

Me personally I really can't believe Konami switched the skill system that was perfectly integrated to the right analogue in favour for the gimmicky manual pass.

The manual passing is no use, I can direct my passes/through balls and long balls perfectly with out manual passing, but I can not play a full game with out the drag back and Marseille turn these moves are important.

My point is I remember when every PES would bring with it several new tricks but in this new version they are non existent!

I know now the skills have been mapped on to the D-pad/Left analogue but this is a very terrible decision because the skills just randomly/automatically happen when not necessary you have basically no control over it.

Look at this you tube video I have put together highlighting why feints and a turn of direction is so important:

YouTube - {Memory Lane} PES Skill Moves

The skills are what separate the average players to the best.

The priority should have been the game play not the controls.
If it aint broken why fix it?

Because of this minor yet huge issue it has deterred a lot of my friends and family members from enjoying the game and now they have opted to buy the PS2 version again, is it possible to change the skills system back to the right analogue?
Please let me know you’re thoughts.

Kind regards.

Last edited:
I think you just have to practice some more. I don't mind the new system, the few tricks I use anyway I can still pull off.

The manual passing is no use, I can direct my passes/through balls and long balls perfectly with out manual passing,
that's what everybody says before play a match against the decent manual passer :)
but I can not play a full game with out the drag back and Marseille turn these moves are important.
agreed, i played manual passes with pressing R3 method... i can do both special moves and manual passes with right analogue...

I think you just have to practice some more. I don't mind the new system, the few tricks I use anyway I can still pull off.

Would you mind outlining a couple of basic ones as I can't get the skills to work at all in this new game. When I press the d-pad (which is awkward as my left hand is on the left analogue stick anyway) it just seems to alter the direction of the players in the same way as the analogue stick does!

I know I'm prob being stupid. Many thanks mate

that's what everybody says before play a match against the decent manual passer :)

agreed, i played manual passes with pressing R3 method... i can do both special moves and manual passes with right analogue...

I for one can not get to grips with this new system. I am used to using my left hand to control the players movements and the right stick to showcase my skills, pass and shoot. That has totally been blown apart now, how the hell are you meant to control your player with the left stick, (left hand) and do skills with teh D pad, (again with your left hand)????

What they should have is an option in the controls, where you can pick or change the control system. You can already choose which buttons pass, which shoot etc, so would not be that hard to incorporate.

This is a completely different game now, and for the worse, although the Legend game makes up for this slightly.

PLEASE KONAMI, GIVE US OUR CONTROLS BACK!!!!

I for one can not get to grips with this new system. I am used to using my left hand to control the players movements and the right stick to showcase my skills, pass and shoot. That has totally been blown apart now, how the hell are you meant to control your player with the left stick, (left hand) and do skills with teh D pad, (again with your left hand)????

What they should have is an option in the controls, where you can pick or change the control system. You can already choose which buttons pass, which shoot etc, so would not be that hard to incorporate.

This is a completely different game now, and for the worse, although the Legend game makes up for this slightly.

It’s good to see someone understands where I’m coming from.
I believe we should start a petition of some sort to bring this to Konami’s attention.

The control have always been perfect they should have never meddled with them.
The game play is the number 1 priority that needs sorting out so it can finally surpass the PS2 version (which will be hard to do).

Last edited:

Would you mind outlining a couple of basic ones as I can't get the skills to work at all in this new game. When I press the d-pad (which is awkward as my left hand is on the left analogue stick anyway) it just seems to alter the direction of the players in the same way as the analogue stick does!

I know I'm prob being stupid. Many thanks mate

Are you guys serious? Or am I misunderstanding something....??

I play on 360 and use the left stick for movement and tricks, it's the same as direction pad, they have implemented the tricks into the movement (=left stick and D-pad) not only in the D-pad.

I play on 360 and use the left stick for movement and tricks, it's the same as direction pad, they have implemented the tricks into the movement (=left stick and D-pad) not only in the D-pad.

Yes I'm serious. Historically the left stick was for movement and the right stick for tricks, but they they have changed it to the left stick for movement andtricks. Is there no way to change the default in the settings back to PES2008 settings?

i dont see any probs here!? it works like a charm! dpad is just doin what the LS does! the 360 is on LS now. drag back is R2 + 2times opposite direction you are facing!

i dont see any probs here!? it works like a charm! dpad is just doin what the LS does! the 360 is on LS now. drag back is R2 + 2times opposite direction you are facing!

Maybe the 360 is set up slightly different to the PS3, but I can not get to grips with this new control system, it is much harder to do tricks now than it was last year??

I think you have misundertood what has changed mate.

instead of using the right stick to do the zidane turn, step overs etc

it is now only for the manual pass. Zidane turns and other skills are now done with the D-pad OR left stick, which ever you use to control your player

while step overs can now only be performed using R2 or L1.

(I for one never used the right stick atall- the zidane turn is a gimmick in PES and of not much use, and I always used the R2 and L1 for stepovers anyway)

it is now only for the manual pass. Zidane turns and other skills are now done with the D-pad OR left stick, which ever you use to control your player

(I for one never used the right stick atall- the zidane turn is a gimmick in PES and of not much use, and I always used the R2 and L1 for stepovers anyway)

right! i use the 360 just for show! the stepovers are way more effective.

right! i use the 360 just for show! the stepovers are way more effective.

The stepovers are the scissors, right??? How do you use that in an effective way?? Video(example) would be great!

I also need to figure out how to do that ronaldinho trick were he touches the ball twice with one foot in one movement. Marseillan roulette can be effective for changing direction when you're able to control it well...

cheers

Yes I'm serious. Historically the left stick was for movement and the right stick for tricks, but they they have changed it to the left stick for movement andtricks. Is there no way to change the default in the settings back to PES2008 settings?

Nope i don't think that's possible, but if it works like on the 360 it isn't that bad...

Not too sound rude but I’ve been playing PES for quite a while now and I’m actually very good at it.
No amounts of practice will help me pull of the moves shown in the above video with such smoothness.

I use the left analogue stick to control my players running direction so how can you use skills at the same time? Take it from me it’s just not possible without it being awkward and forced.

There was no reason for the change, the manual passing is a welcome addition but I would take skills being on the right analogue like they always have been any day of the week over gimmicky manual passing.

The skills when used properly are a much bigger asset then manual passing for them to disable them is just plain retarded.

“Zidane turn is a gimmick”? Wow are you for real people?
It’s one of the most effective moves in the game and a much bigger asset then pathetic manual passing.

I’m going to up a video with in an hour or so which will show you all how effective the Marseille turn/feints/step overs are.

Konami has really put the good skillful players at a big disadvantage I feel handicapped when playing the game now.

After I uploaded the video I would like to then ask how many still think these moves are a gimmick.

Last edited:
I also need to figure out how to do that ronaldinho trick were he touches the ball twice with one foot in one movement. Marseillan roulette can be effective for changing direction when you're able to control it well...

this trick is called elastico and is done by tapping R2 three times (while controlling the right player) ... at least that is what it was in pes2008 i guess it stayed there

Here is the video that highlights why the skills are so important and how they are a much bigger asset then gimmicky manual passing when used properly:

(Watch in youtube in high quality for best viewing)

YouTube - {Memory Lane} PES Skill Moves

Now are you guys really going to sit there and tell me I can do all these feints and turns at will with the new control system?

No amounts of practice will help me to pull these moves off with such smoothness like shown in the above video.
Damn you konami for ruining my beloved PES!

Last edited:
appreicate u posting that video, but boy, what framerate did u record it on...i wanna finish watching it but it gives me too much headache >.<

Special moves with the right analogue? Could you please elaborate?
special moves with right analog (without R3), manual passes with right analog and pressing R3...
how the hell are you meant to control your player with the left stick, (left hand) and do skills with teh D pad, (again with your left hand)????
i don't like the new method either, i was just replying ryu1999 for saying manual pass and special moves couldn't be done with both right analog.

they made the dragback basicly useless now that it isnt used in conjection with R2. Now its fkn random if the player turns or actually drags when just flip floppin the direction. annoying piece of decision yet again by konami.

appreicate u posting that video, but boy, what framerate did u record it on...i wanna finish watching it but it gives me too much headache >.<
Watch it in you tube in higher quality for best viewing, I intentionally recorded it at a low FPS so you can see all the small details.
I would like to see who can still after seeing the above video call those moves a gimmick?
Trust me they are very valuable now I feel handicapped playing the game, I know I'm not the only one.

By changing the skill system to the D pad/Left analogue is that innovation?
Innovation would have been by adding some new ball control animations new skills/ball physics etc of all the things they should of changed.........

I told my cousins who play the series religiously about how the skill system has changed and they were fuming in the end to my surprise they never even considered the game after playing it at my house.
I don't blame them my copy is just sitting there collecting dust.

They ruined a perfect control system, has the old saying goes if it aint broke don't fix it.

Last edited:
Imagine if you never had the game with the right analogue stick.. I know it's hard to do, but try. You really like the game so you would persist with it. Give it a bit longer. I suppose there will be people that can perform the skills with the left stick.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm saying persist before you write it off.

cheers

ryu1999: you could either a) get it on the PC, as I believe you could use a PS2-to-USB adapter which will let you map the right analogue to the left analogue, though this will mean you have to use the D-PAD to move the player (i prefer D-PAD for movement, no point having analogue if max. directions = 8!).

b) re-wire the PS3 controller (or cheap PS2 assuming you can use PS2 dual-shock on PS3) such that the right analogue is wired to the left analogue's PCB and vice versa. This is hardcore though :)

I will try the re-map of the right analogue on PC tonight.

I feel sorry for you, fair play. Btw, I don't actually use tricks for the upper-hand, i'm not good enough. They are fun though :) Maybe KONAMI did it so that people who can whip others by using tricks now have to whip them by making great plays :) Think it a challenge?

EDIT: Having watched your video, it seems you do loads of 360 turns, for instance. This kinda wrecks it in my opinion because this isn't like real football. Real football = good pasing and moving, retaining possession and the occasional trick once in a blue moon. Still feel bad for you, though :S

Last edited:

Maybe I am getting it wrong but... historically the left stick was used for running, changing direction etc, whilst the right stick was used for all the tricks, marseille turn, feint left, feint right, heel lift etc. Whilst I agree that the tricks are mainly for showing off (there is no better feeling that playing on line or against a mate as doing a marseille turn to get round a player, feint one way and score a goal all in one swift move):D, it was ergonamically perfectley set up, left hand on left stick to move, right hand on left stick to do the tricks. Now, unless I am missing something, you are supposed to use your left hand to move, and then transfer to the d-pad for a trick, back up to teh left stick all in one swift movement, which I for one, can not get to grips with:RANT:. Is there no way in the set up to change the control system, as I know in previous editions, you could assign certain buttons to do what you want. This new set up just makes no sense to me whatsoever!!:CURSE:

Maybe I am getting it wrong but... historically the left stick was used for running, changing direction etc, whilst the right stick was used for all the tricks, marseille turn, feint left, feint right, heel lift etc. Whilst I agree that the tricks are mainly for showing off (there is no better feeling that playing on line or against a mate as doing a marseille turn to get round a player, feint one way and score a goal all in one swift move):D, it was ergonamically perfectley set up, left hand on left stick to move, right hand on left stick to do the tricks. Now, unless I am missing something, you are supposed to use your left hand to move, and then transfer to the d-pad for a trick, back up to teh left stick all in one swift movement, which I for one, can not get to grips with:RANT:. Is there no way in the set up to change the control system, as I know in previous editions, you could assign certain buttons to do what you want. This new set up just makes no sense to me whatsoever!!:CURSE:

like I have explained mate, you dont need to move your hand to the d-pad to do the skills, they are done with whatever method you use to move your player.

Ryu1999 is Jamal on the WENB and he kicked up a huge fuss about this!

How many weeks are you complaing about this now! They are not that hard to get used to!

Seriously how many 360 turns do you want to do in a game?

Last edited:
You people are incompetant. Like a few of keep saying, it's not just the D PAD you use to do tricks. You can use the ANALOGUE stick also! You can use the ANALOGUE stick also. The LEFT analogue stick. 99% of the tricks are in the command list. Pause the game, and go to "command list".

You people are incompetant.
irony.jpg

Back
Top Bottom