Arsenal Thread

It's strange how players given time can perform. I wanted Theo gone from Arsenal. Alexis is better on the wings , he's such a nightmare on the back line. No other player on the squad harasses n presses so vigorously. Giroud is slow n temperamental lately. He knows a natural winger is keeping my on the bench,not nice.

I'm loving what I see (atm) The same players from 4yrs back are playing to their best. To think this SUMMER! they looked confused, fragile and disjointed. Alexis is not a signature (ST) he`s transformed his high/high workrate throughout the squad...King assist Ozil is scoring for fun lol 1st Arsenal player to hit their hattrick of the season (Theo had his chance vs. Swansea ;) )

Nobody speaks about the North London derby, strange.
My son had to play a football match, so i only saw the match from the 76th minute on.

IMO the difference between Spurs and Arsenal is that Arsenal has some world class players (Sanchez, Özil and perhaps also Ramsey). Spurs have a very good team and are perhaps better as a team but have no world class offensive players, they lack a spark of creativity. Perhaps one might consider Vertonghen-Alderweireld as world class, but they are defenders (perhaps i'm biased and chauvinistic).

Was it a soft penalty for Spurs?

In the 20 minutes i saw Arsenal were the dominant team, but Spurs had the better chances in that period...

Last year i was not happy with both draws, now i'm relieved because Spurs have not their best period at the moment.

I think Arsenal can win the EPL and i'm afraid this Spurs team could end up 5th. Hope we can buy Isco in january.

The NLD is very exciting for the neutral both teams goes for the win. Spurs are a good stubborn side but The Posh is very likable n intelligent bloke. The penalty was soft but still a penalty n clattenburg is a trusted ref imo. I think Theo should of stayed n change Neny for Coq.

I'm not convinced by Ox Chamberlain his distribution is of a championship side most of the time. I don't rate Ramsey too much n I feel the best player is Alexis hands down. I think Ozil can only function on a 4-2-3-1 . So, he's been very good . You have to admit most players shine during contract extension negotiating.

Both City goals could have been disallowed for off-side.
The first one was a certain off-side, the second is open to interpretation, but IMO David Silva did influence the game and so it should have been disallowed for off-side.

Fantastic pass from De Bruyne to Sterling and a very good finish too...

Sanchez and Pep looked very cosy after the game, bebo ;)

Can't believe how lazy Ozil was. Only noticed him because he was the one guy stood still.
Reckon you could replace him much easier than Sanchez- he has that mixture of skill, creativity, goalscoring and workethic which is hard to find.

IMO Özil is tired. He needs some rest against lesser teams.
Don't reall ysee much players who could replace him. Brings an awfull lots of creativity...in the EPL i only see KDB as good as Özil in that role.
Bouffal might become that sort of player, but i see him more as a player like Hazard.

Last night's game - Awful performance or great spirit and fight to come back in last 20 mins from 3-0 down?

Bournemouth we great and are good side, but had we started better we wouldn't have been in that situation to begin with...

both.

did really well to comeback into it (the red card gave you that added push) but the first half was awful. overall have to look at positives, Spurs/Chelsea tonight and United/L'pool next week means your rivals are also going be dropping points

As we all may know by now, Alexis is a contract rebel and maybe it's a little war of egos going there. Wenger trying to give him the cold treatment, plus he is a firm believer of collective play rather than individual, but come on... the difference was clear when Alexis came on. Whether Wenger likes it or not, we need him more than ever. If after 20 years in charge he still acts like that when the guy doesn't want to sign, then there's a big chunk of respect he's loosing from me there. After all, he's one of the best paid managers in the game with all this baggage, I would expect him to be more pragmatic, a little less personal about this.
What did we gain from all this? Liverpool climbed up to top 4 at our expense, and we got to see ironic smiles and giggles from Alexis on the bench... Boy, that doesn't bode well at all.

This team fell to pieces. Also, wtf is up with Özil? All they say is he's ill, Wenger annoyingly didn't give any details on the pre-match interview... no one knows what the hell his problem is. This is all very weird.

Well here's the real reason behind it:
http://news.arseblog.com/2017/03/re...strop/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Can't say I'm pleased, either way. You take a bad situation and turn it into a worse self-inflicted damage.

A quick thought on Alexis: I see some Arsenal fans turning against him. Just think for a minute that when he's on the pitch, he runs his ass into the ground like no one else in this squad and it's like his legs will fall off and there will be blood coming out of his pores. If half of our players had his will power and attitude we wouldn't get beaten like that.

It is difficult to deal with that sort of indiscipline, which is characteristic of south american players I must say. It probably did happen, so they felt some action must be taken. It's also difficult to explain such a thing to the press. That's why Wenger was dodging questions about his absence, saying he wanted to "be more direct by using Giroud". Bullshit. He played Welbeck on Alexis's primary position (left wing). Wenger also dodged questions about Özil, saying he's ill at home in London. I don't buy it. There's something weird going on. Also why Lucas Perez never gets game time is beyond me.

Either way, when it comes to Alexis, we can't know for sure what happened in the training ground. What I do see is that he gives it his all on the field for Arsenal. I think most fans see it as well, so it won't matter how they spin it.

Never a red but another capitulation? That was bad. Bayern took pity in the end.

I don't get this absolute horseshit that Wenger "deserves to decide to leave on his own terms" bollocks! HE'S A NOT THE MESSIAH HE'S A FUCKING FOOTBALL MANAGER! :CENSOR:

IMO Wenger made a really huge mistake with Sanchez against Liverpool.
If you want to sanction a player, don't put him on the bench. You have to put him in the stands regardless the possible negative result (Tuchel wit Aubameyang and Allegri with Bonucci did that recently).
IMO he has lost lots of moral authority after what he did with Sanchez. First he wanted to teach him a lesson and then bringing him on to try and save the points... In conflicts like this who result in a sort of public showdown, people preceive winners and loosers. It's pretty clear who is the winner here.

And yes, imo Wenger is some sort of Messiah. Hechanged both Arsenal and English football very fundamentally. The fact that i really admire Arsenal despite being a Spurs fan is due to Wenger and his style of play. But there is no steel in this current team (except Sanchez). They can only motivate themselves against Spurs (unfortunately). I'm pretty sure once again Spurs will not win against Arsenal (hope we avoid them in the Cup), but that seems to be their only motivation: being better than Spurs. And this while Spurs (finally) seem to have moved on, they are looking higher up than trying to be better than Arsenal.

That is the reason why last season i couldn't have cared less that there was a Saint Totteringday. Spurs should have won the title then. That was the big disappointment.

Wenger is arguably the most important manager of all time at Arsenal, right up there with Herbert Chapman. Maybe more so, because he oversaw the move to the new big stadium and kept a staggering consistency throughout 20 years. No other English club has qualified to the CL for as long as Arsenal, not even United. In the last 7 years though, his consistency means he has consistently crashed out of the CL at the 1st knockout stage, and that's where it begins to get ugly.

Arsenal clearly can't compete with the top teams in the world, even with the right set of players. When you face a stronger team than yours you try to overcome that with fighting spirit and tactical nous. Neither of them have been present at Arsenal for years. Everybody knows how Wenger will play his team and his players are somewhat devoid of anything resembling fighting spirit or steel, however you may call it.

At the helm of the club there hasn't been any sort of accountability either. At least in terms of sporting results.
It has become stale, almost too comfortable. And this sentiment is passed down from the managers to the players.
But things can't carry on like this. Crashing out of the CL with an aggregate of 2-10 simply ain't acceptable.

It's fair to say the majority of Arsenal fans are ready to see Wenger go. He's a much loved figure and really revolutionised football in England, making a great contribution to the Premiership as a whole. But I'm afraid he's clung on for too long.

I'm fully aware it might get worse before it gets better, but bring it on. We need something new and it is time.

PS: yes, the ref fucked us over, but in no way it should mitigate the utter embarrassment that it was. After Arsenal went 1 man down, we played a high defensive line of 3 and went for it, as though we could have scored 6 past Bayern when the score was already 1-2. That was Wenger at his most naïve and it was painful to see. I think most would agree that it was time to park the bus, shut shop and keep it respectable at least at home. Furthermore, if Wenger watches some Bundesliga, he should know Bayern is a team who won't stop, they steam roll their oponents, hence the 8-0 maulings they hand out there and so on... and when their front players get tired, they introduce the likes of Douglas Costa and other rested offensive players to carry out more punishment. Knowing all that, considering what they did to us in the 1st leg and us being down to 10 men, it was all the more infuriating to see Arsenal giving away counter attacks to Bayern like that. It was at times 4 against 1! Wenger saw them score the 3rd, 4th and 5th not changing a thing.

I get that Wenger has done a lot for Arsenal and that he should be respected and allowed to leave with dignity but when I see pundits, ex players etc. say Wenger should be allowed to decide when and how he leaves I just think they are talking absolute bs.If he's not doing the job anymore then the board should, if they choose to, be allowed to say 'it's time, Arsene'.

Agreed. He's still an employee at the end of the day and the results have not been acceptable

Wenger certainly has made mistakes, but David Dein has never been properly replaced and that started Arsenal's downfall.

Downfall?

That is very relatively, of course. Fans of most teams would immediately sign for Arsenal's results...

They are underachievers, but imo clubs like Manchester City and PSG are bigger underachievers.

With the budget City has they should win the EPL every single year and should also compete for the CL, same goes for PSG.

With all the money they have at their disposal, both clubs are not capable to assemble a balanced squad.

In all fairness PSG still has to invest on buying off some refs like Barca seems to do

As for the Arsenal board, they have to go as well. Ivan Gazidis doesn't take any responsibility ever and Stan Kroenke only looks at the asset value of the club. In other words, we fans are the only ones concerned about the sporting results.

Saddens me to see Wenger being the lightning rod to all this but hey, he's the manager making around 7m pounds a year...

Back
Top Bottom