The Retrogaming Thread! [8-bit/16-bit/32-bit/64-bit]

Spent countless hours on this at the times. The monsters design was very original, I'd say unique, and the action fluid and fun. Couldn't remember the name at first, even cause I'm not sure whatever it was named Bio Hazard even here or if it was the other name, which apparently is "Crying".. none of both actually ring bells. Luckily it's kind of a niche cult and after some research it finally came out.. I fired it up on the emu and all the familiar sensations names couldn't return, amazingly came in pad in hand.

There was another nice spaceship scrolling game I used to play that I can't unfortunately remember the title, on Nes tho. No luck finding it until now (was probably another niche game as well).

Megadrive was definitively a super console for Shoot-them-up. Well, NES was poor in terms of Shoot in comparison to Master System too.
Snes got very good ones, but less than Megadrive. Axelay seems to be a super game, but i tried it very late on emulation, and wasn't that much of a fan of it to be honest.

But the console called "King of Shoot-Them-up" was... The PC Engine/Turbographics. Tons of Shoots, incredible arcade ports etc.

One who was released i loved, my uncle owned an Amiga and an Atari ST. The game was on both supports, also on PC Engine and i think on Master System under another name...

Some Master System S-T-U game i played a lot:

Bomber Raid (Edited > was Saint Dragon vid)

Scramble Spirits

Aerial Assault

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One SUPER CLASSIC arcade port we forgot to mention on SNES, also Megadrive but less closer to the arcade.....

SUNSET RIDERS

I now there was also a very big classic from SNES, an exlusive one, but i never played it at the time, it wasn't available on location, and i just saw some vids of that game if i remember well, on some TV retransmission. Sad as i tried it, it's pretty hard but awesome gameplay.
There's a remake on Steam/PSN/Xbox Live i think, "RELOADED" version.

WILD GUNS

Last edited:
Speaking of underrated NES games, this game was great! Werewolf, The Last Warrior! Did you guys ever try it? It had all the elements, great gameplay, awesome music, one of my favorites, (for some reason 8 bit and 16 bit soundtracks stay with me for a long time, probably has to do with the midi that makes everything sound so epic), a very solid platformer. Sometimes I wonder if this was NES response to Altered Beast for Sega Master, another great game which deserves its own post, since it has some similarities, but this game had a more retro-cyber feel to it, as the werewolf protagonist had to navigate several technological bases.. Good stuff.

Last edited:
Speaking of underrated NES games, this game was great! Werewolf, The Last Warrior! Did you guys ever try it? It had all the elements, great gameplay, awesome music, one of my favorites, (for some reason 8 bit and 16 bit soundtracks stay with me for a long time, probably has to do with the midi that makes everything sound so epic), a very solid platformer. Sometimes I wonder if this was NES response to Altered State for Sega Master, another great game which deserves its own post, since it has some similarities, but this game had a more retro-cyber feel to it, as the werewolf protagonist had to navigate several technological bases.. Good stuff.

Man, how many great games I ignored the existence of.. ! It's astonishing. This one looks like something I would have completely adored back then!

Another great great game here, KING OF DRAGONS for the SNES. Based on the arcade (which I actually played recently and is awesome as well), this game allows you to choose between a Cleric, a Dwarf, a Fighter, a Wizard, and an Elf, and each character class has different characteristics and strengths. KING OF DRAGONS is a classic beat em up, one of the best of the era, and I would say a direct competitor to the mighty Golden Axe, which is also a great game. Love the medieval setting, the different monsters and bosses which were varied, a very solid game and part of the huge amount of beat em ups in this Golden Age. :)

Found one EMU-online site, from the thousands that do exist of course. But this one looks a little bit more ergonomic to me. Tried the 2 basketball ascentors, tried the TMNT arcade versions, tried a lot games i have forgotten. Have a look if you wanna something on the fly. Very few and moslty not annoying advs.

https://www.playretrogames.com/

A very stylish game i found again, i used to play a lot of hours back in the early 00's in my GENESIS emulator. Brilliant style, nice and unique artwork, and SEGA Genesis exclusive. I believe it would attract more attention, if it were multi-platfrom. A classic beat'em, up regarding the rest...

Comix Zone - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comix_Zone

220px-Comix_Zone_Coverart.png
Comix_zone_sega-genesis.png

This looks really cool. Even though the themes are very different, the animations and graphics remind me a little bit of Spider-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage for the SNES, another game with very comic book like looks and which also looks great. It even has the same special comic book effects.

It's amazing how many Genesis games I'm not familiarized with. As a kid, and also later on emulation, I focused much more on NES and SNES, but Master System and Genesis are undiscovered gold mines for me. Aside from Sonic, the first Genesis game I saw was Altered Beast, and honestly I was amazed at the quality, graphics, gameplay, and very original idea! I believe this game had 2 versions as well, in Master System and in Genesis, it is definitely one of the best known titles. I played it much later on in emulation and really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Taking chance to test my new Twitter account (lol) and to post one of the greatest comebacks in the history of Super Soccer SNES, lol-lol! :D

I saw that. Think I maybe had the honour of being your first follower. 😄

I like the Human / Super Soccer family. Della Serie A is particularly good given Italian football in 1995 was fucking spectacular. But the camera angle. Oh, the camera angle...

I saw that. Think I maybe had the honour of being your first follower. 😄

I like the Human / Super Soccer family. Della Serie A is particularly good given Italian football in 1995 was fucking spectacular. But the camera angle. Oh, the camera angle...
For the moment i am trying to build some shape to get my childhood revenge, winning Nintendo FC. Right now i struggle against Belgium in the first match, the best and most far i can go, is second match. :D

And what's the deal with the stats? Didn't pay attention back in the 90s, but Holland seems to be one of the worst teams of the game. Are they type of "randomised" due to some no licensed issue?

I remember a small gap between the flying Dutches and Ajax class of 1995, but not so abysmal! There were still a VanBasten and the likes of him!

Last edited:
Seems like all of us retro-gamers have a different favorite in the Double Dragon saga.. Mine is definitely Double Dragon III! I thought out of 1, 2, 3, and Super Double Dragon, this one was the best. It was the most polished and challenging. I loved the idea of beating 2 bosses and having them join your team (Chin and Ranzou), and the world travelling aspect of it was pretty cool too! (USA, China, Japan, Italy, Egypt). But most of all, this installment was to me the most balanced of them all. 2 was too easy once you figured out some techniques, 1 was actually pretty good too, and Super Double Dragon I have to give it another try but from the times I played it, I think Double Dragon III reigns supreme in the saga! :TU:

I'd love to hear your opinions on which Double Dragon is your favorite!

Not sure if any of you guys ever played the Commodore 64 in the mid eighties (you may be a bit too young) but I wanted to share an excellent youtube channel that I have recently discovered. It is done by a guy called Bastich B and I am really enjoying playing catch up with the videos. There are so many good memories that I am reliving and I never realised that there is still so many new games for he Commodore 64. :)

https://youtube.com/c/BastichB64K

Seems like all of us retro-gamers have a different favorite in the Double Dragon saga.. Mine is definitely Double Dragon III! I thought out of 1, 2, 3, and Super Double Dragon, this one was the best. It was the most polished and challenging. I loved the idea of beating 2 bosses and having them join your team (Chin and Ranzou), and the world travelling aspect of it was pretty cool too! (USA, China, Japan, Italy, Egypt). But most of all, this installment was to me the most balanced of them all. 2 was too easy once you figured out some techniques, 1 was actually pretty good too, and Super Double Dragon I have to give it another try but from the times I played it, I think Double Dragon III reigns supreme in the saga! :TU:

I'd love to hear your opinions on which Double Dragon is your favorite!

Man another saga that forged my gaming childhood! Played only 2 and 3 tho. I think 2 to me had that mystic I already talked about, obtainable only by the fact that it wasn't actually mine, but I used to go play it in 2 at a friend's home or have it in loan once in a while; also the fact there were more levels and I had the impression of a more classic, well connected adventure that completely looked like a big 80ies power fantasy movie, plus there were a lot of other things that made me go overboard (the shadow clones, the mini bosses, the platform parts, the soundtrack which I largely still remember to this day).

DD3 was one of the first games I had on nes and while I loved it it fell a bit short compared with 2 to me. I don't know, to me the fact you had that trip around the world was nice in terms of variety, but also felt a bit like they were all separate entities in a sense. Also maybe the fact I could play it anytime I wanted as I said above "watered" it a bit down.

By the way, among the other good things of 3, the altered Marion was a beautiful final boss, probably one of my personally most memorable ever. Back in school days we used to call her "The Phoenix" for some reason I can't remember and none of us at the times ever managed to ever beat her, which kinda helped in building up the epic.

I would LOVE to get a NES at home. But it was for "rich" people here haha i already said it, cartdrige was at least twice the price too.
But i got twice a girl friend (well, a friend who was a girl lol) who sended it to me, and i played Zelda I and II, SMB2 (i know, it's not the real SMB > the real 2 is called "The lost level... But the game was awesome) and we finished SMB3 at her home.
Etc. but it was all blockbusters games. Megaman 2, Kid Icarus, and i could've also replay some port of NES on Gameboy, perhaps the console i player the most.

I don't know if there's more memory than in Master System, but there's were in NES games a lot of dialogs, changes of character (like Double Dragon), extra transformation etc.
Well talking about MS my favourite MS game with Kenseiden, a bit different than on Megadrive but i loved it:

Ghouls'n'Ghost : Master System. Difference? The armor who changed color and giving a different power. It was a special case.

Back to me and NES, was only 2 if i remember well who got NES games locations, but SEGA was more implanted than NES in every home (less expensive), and we all wanted a NES just for the awesome game there was.
...Until when the SNES appeared, as everyone brought it, so there was a big demand in locations. So Megadrive games disappeared, and tons of Snes games appeared.

Like for example, NES version of Double Dragon II and III (i never played it) were super good. But the Arcade, Megadrive and Snes version were pretty and not the same gameplay and history at all. While Double Dragon III, as i see, followed the same path as the II.

My favourite Double Dragon was the 1st on Megadrive : it was really "Arcade at home", more than Golden Axe and Altered Beast, or Outrun etc.

Last edited:
I agree about Comix Zone, i replayed it too it was at the end of the Megadrive/Genesis. Was a game at the end of the console, super design and artistic design with every case > a part of the story.

There's a lot of super game from that period. Vectorman 1 and 2. But first i will post a game i loved on it, usually ports of Movies where bad. But that one was genius

RAMBO III

2 Last genesis games, i started the first and it's awesome, finished the second with a friend (best Beat-them-all on Genesis)

Chakan the forever man:

Street of Rage 3 / Bare Knuckle III (jap version uncensored, there's translations patchs)

I agree about Comix Zone, i replayed it too it was at the end of the Megadrive/Genesis. Was a game at the end of the console, super design and artistic design with every case > a part of the story.

There's a lot of super game from that period. Vectorman 1 and 2. But first i will post a game i loved on it, usually ports of Movies where bad. But that one was genius

RAMBO III

2 Last genesis games, i started the first and it's awesome, finished the second with a friend (best Beat-them-all on Genesis)

Chakan the forever man:

Street of Rage 3 / Bare Knuckle III (jap version uncensored, there's translations patchs)

I remember very clear this Rambo 3 Genesis, in emulator. Especially that part in 17:12, i don't know how it feels with OG Sega gamepad, or with a new one with Dpad, but in emulator with keyboard arrows was super painful and rigid to move the aim cross!

I love Streets of Rage! And I will definitely get into it later but for now I just want to say.. That its soundtrack is one of my top 5 ever! Yuzo Koshiro is a genius, he created a lot of moody, urban music in these soundtracks which I love. This is super jazzy and cool, right up my alley, and with 16 bit technology, which makes it even more badass. 🎷 :COOL:

I love Streets of Rage! And I will definitely get into it later but for now I just want to say.. That its soundtrack is one of my top 5 ever! Yuzo Koshiro is a genius, he created a lot of moody, urban music in these soundtracks which I love. This is super jazzy and cool, right up my alley, and with 16 bit technology, which makes it even more badass. 🎷 :COOL:

Sorry to intervene, my unbiased best of the best soundtrack comes by Castelvania.

Unbiased cause as much as i respect Castelvania, I've never played a full playthrough, only some hours here and there.

Also one of the best epic covers of a MIDI song.

Can you believe guys,, i am listening to this cover around 20 years, i was in the senior high school and downloaded for the first time by KAZAA, when it still used to take 50 minutes , to download a 3 minute song! :)

Bloody Tears is an awesome tune! I must have like 5 different versions of it in my MP3 collection (yes, I still listen to mp3's, they are my preferred method to listen to music, hehe), mainly rock oriented (similar to the gothic one you posted) and the original Castlevania 2 and 4 versions especially.

Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest was a tough one, especially without strategy guides., but one of my favorite Castlevanias. Took me years to figure it out. But I really enjoyed the open ended style of it, as well as the mystery surrounding the game itself and the story. It was scarier in a way! Not to have the monsters in your face but to have the story build up slowly, with many misleading cues, dead ends, and roads that ended up nowhere.. Even some of the villagers said misleading things to mess you up, like "there's a diamond atop the fourth tree" stuff like that.. And some parts were only unlockable by doing special maneuvers and having orbs, which made the game more frustrating but at the same time so eerie and rewarding! Oh and you had those same villagers turning into zombies at night, "what a horrible night to have a curse". Scary stuff!

This looks really cool. Even though the themes are very different, the animations and graphics remind me a little bit of Spider-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage for the SNES, another game with very comic book like looks and which also looks great. It even has the same special comic book effects.

It's amazing how many Genesis games I'm not familiarized with. As a kid, and also later on emulation, I focused much more on NES and SNES, but Master System and Genesis are undiscovered gold mines for me. Aside from Sonic, the first Genesis game I saw was Altered Beast, and honestly I was amazed at the quality, graphics, gameplay, and very original idea! I believe this game had 2 versions as well, in Master System and in Genesis, it is definitely one of the best known titles. I played it much later on in emulation and really enjoyed it.

If you liked Maximum Carnage , you can check also the sequel

Venom/Spider-Man: Separation Anxiety

Spider-Man_and_Venom_-_Separation_Anxiety_Coverart.png

Similar story, similar mechanics, more polished staff! :)

"Bloody Tears" have been sampled again and again if you listen some rap or metal.

One of my favourite OST is not from 16 bits... But from Tekken 5, you feel like a manga hero when you fight in that stage :

That piano at 1 minute. It's like a final boss stage end in fact.

Edit: they have took that track for Super Smash Bros Ultimate, as i think there's Kazuya : so they took one of the best Tekken track ever made

Last edited:
A very stylish game i found again, i used to play a lot of hours back in the early 00's in my GENESIS emulator. Brilliant style, nice and unique artwork, and SEGA Genesis exclusive.
Killer game! Totally unique style, and way ahead of its time. I also always wondered why it never got the deserved attention.

Seems like all of us retro-gamers have a different favorite in the Double Dragon saga
Double Dragon III was technically very good, but because of the one-life-game-over, it was a real downer for me, as I never had too much patience with this kind of game... I smashed countless of ps1 gamepads playing PES/Winning Eleven, and I was already in my early twenties, so you can pretty much see the pattern... But only obviously 'cause you could get cheap alternates of them as replacements. Otherwise, I could always get a grip of myself :LOL:

Back to Double Dragon, I was probably fortunate enough to be able to get my hands on the Japanese version of Double Dragon II for the Famicon (which probably came out earlier than the American version). Some kid in school had the Japanese (again, Famicon) cartridge, and for whatever reason he lent it to me. But I had an American NES, so I needed that sketchy cartridge adaptor to make it work... and the kid who owned the game didn't have it, so I had to get one myself. Remember: I was 10 years old, this is precisely late '89, early 1990 in Brazil. No internet obviously, no guides, nothing. I somehow got a crummy pin-adaptor to make the game fit the console, but it wasn't working. It took me almost a week to make it work, and by then the kid who owned it was already asking for the cartridge back. So I only played it for the weekend, but damn, was it awesome...

Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest was a tough one, especially without strategy guides
I got Castlevania for Christmas in '89 (surely, the American NES version cartridge), and it simply gave me the nightmares! Not because of the game's theme (including the music!), obviously. But because I was so obsessed on progressing within' the game, only to get completely stuck on "both sides": Left side was the "mountain-wall" in which you needed to kneel with the red crystal equipped. Right side was the "lake" (aka: un-jumpable body of water) which you were required to kneel with the blue cristal. But again, no internet, no guides or anything of the sort made it impossible to progress. Not to mention the in-game hints were all useless due to poor translation ("lost in translation, literally) from the Japanese version, so... It's really curious that the lead game designer Hitoshi Akamatsu cited "Maze of Galious" as a major influence/inspiration for Castlevania II (source: wikipedia), since I've never even heard of this game, but played its prequel "Knightmare" on the MSX as a young kid!!! :SHOCK: (All Konami classics, BTW)

Lastly, another game that I found it pretty hard (and also made it even harder when it came out 'cause again: no internet, no guides, or anything) was "Shadow of the Beast", an AMIGA game that got ported to several other platforms. I got the Genesis/Mega Drive version, and it also gave me the "nightmares"! Again, through wikipedia sourcing I could find out that my frustration was justified: "In a retrospective article for Digital Spy, Mark Langshaw remarked that Shadow of the Beast "will always be remembered as one of many jewels in the crown of Studio Liverpool." Langshaw however said that the Mega Drive version was considered inferior to other versions, and because of its poor conversion rate, the game ran faster than intended on the North American Genesis console and "went from unforgiving to near impossible." Travis Fahs of IGN considered the FM Towns port a superior version of the game."

This is easily explained in the very first second of the game after booting it up: the Genesis conversion was made by Electronic Arts. :DOH: :BRICK:

Last edited:
I love those two first type of game posted, the one on MSX is pretty fast for that CPU, impressive. The second is also totally my type of game.

Shadow of the Beast! I wanted to post it then i forgot.
I got the chance to play it on Amiga the very first version (i don't know if it's the best graphically)
So on Amiga i remember 4 games i played: the Karate + posted before, Shadow of the Beast, Crash Garrett (i think i've already posted it on the first pages) and that one :

The New Zealand Story (no idea what that game has to do with New Zealand, except you play with a Kiwi but well)

There's one thing i never get with the Amiga 500 : some ports were awful like Mortal Kombat and some games were practically looking like Arcade machine games. Well, good and bad ports always existed... Some could have been wayyy better if for example, some were re-created directly by i don't know, Capcom did with all their Street Fighter.

Another remember of Amiga

Alien Breed

Ahhh yes. One game that haunted me when i was young haha but i don't know why, the game got a name like "Freud" (no joke) and it was looking like Adam's Family ambiance. There's some games you have no idea on what you have played, or see your cousin played on.
Edit: i'm searching about Fraud or something like this, or if it was the name of the character but no way to found it.

Another game in 3D isometric on Amiga or Atari St where you control... A jumping penis lol. It was super funny, like action strategy game.
There was some porno references on it. I probably think it was an independent game. Next time i see my uncle (were i played, on his PC) i'll ask him because i searched again and again and never found it. But it was more for comedy, nothing porn at all like some Poker games etc. (even if your attacks was to launch... Some white liquid haha)

Last edited:
Just one thing i forgot about Master System, who was really in advance on their time, way before VR stuffs etc. regarding one particular object:

1638472096280.png

The famous Sega 3D-Glasses !

It was in location at the time. I got the chance to play 3 games on it :

Maze Hunter 3D

Outrun 3D

Space Harrier 3D

Well the effect was more "in relief" than VR, but to be honest, it's less agressive and more amusing.
The games where demanding a bit more, like two screen in the same time, they were a bit "decreased" in performance... But who cares, it was in 3D!
Also, what i remember it was that those glasses killed my nose lol, the design was more built for looking "cool" than anything else.

I've just discovered there was 3D glasses on NES, but not that much "advanced" as MS 3D glasses from reviewers. It was out after the MS glasses.
And not that much games : Rad Racer, a copy of Space Harrier and perhaps another game i got no idea. That accessorie didn't really got success.

1638474236672.png

Now, i was searching a similar way to convert a signal for emulation, or pc, and play in stereoscopic or anaglyph (with two screens) mode.
For every game, just for having a simple relief effect.
But no way to found a converter, accessory like that.

@crustcyb Bro, those two ends (the wall and the blue river/lake) wow.. It took me literally years! I remember I started playing Simon's Quest as a little kid, probably 1990, could never pass them and forgot about the game. It wasn't until 1999 when I FINALLY read a gamefaq online, I was never able to figure it out by myself hahahaha.. Crazy stuff.

@vialli82 I don't quite remember the ones you mention haha but I do remember using something very similar to this, these blue and red glasses, but the only game I remember using these for was Rad Racer haha very psychedelic for a little kid. :LOL:

1638560163740.png

Ahaha well I think strictly speaking, it would have to be a remake of an 8 bit or 16 bit game to actually qualify :LOL: (kind of like Ghosts n Goblins is a remake of the original Ghouls n Ghosts), but the game does look cool, kind of similar to original Prince of Persia or Flashback, which was a cool game! So it's cool you put it because it does link to the spirit of these retrogames! ;)

Back
Top Bottom