The Retrogaming Thread! [8-bit/16-bit/32-bit/64-bit]

As far as original style fighters go, I’ve always preferred The King Of Fighters and especially KOF98. Better than Street Fighter, Better than Mortal Kombat and better than Tekken.
KOF98 The ultimate fighting game!

I'm a big KOF fan as well! 98 is a classic but my favorite is KOF 11 for the PS2! I really loved the roster, and even though there are many combos that are difficult to master, I've always thought it was the most complete and balanced one in terms of gameplay! Even though I grew up playing more SF and MK, I then discovered both KOF and Samurai Shodown and they definitely have a different feel to it, not as serious and more fun loving (at least in the case of KOF, Samurai Shodown feels more like a Manga which is also a good thing). :TU:

I'm a big KOF fan as well! 98 is a classic but my favorite is KOF 11 for the PS2! I really loved the roster, and even though there are many combos that are difficult to master, I've always thought it was the most complete and balanced one in terms of gameplay! Even though I grew up playing more SF and MK, I then discovered both KOF and Samurai Shodown and they definitely have a different feel to it, not as serious and more fun loving (at least in the case of KOF, Samurai Shodown feels more like a Manga which is also a good thing). :TU:
Have you also played Garou mark of the wolves? That’s another great fighter.
I’m also partial to some Art of fighting 3. Always wanted the limited edition CD version with the coin in it… and I don’t even own a Neo Geo CD lol

Yeah I remember I played a few matches of Loup Garou and it felt great (I believed I played it on Neo Geo)!
Very similar (in fact almost identical) design and concept to the Last Blade and Last Blade 2 (another awesome series!!) :TU:

Last edited:
Forgot about Last Blade. The visuals on those games are gorgeous. I played all these on the PS1. There’s absolutely no way I’d spend 1k on a Neo Geo game or however much they cost these days.

@PES4eva This is a new one for me! I only knew Excitebike for NES! Very interesting that I had never even heard of the SNES version, great find!

There's also an N64 version! I had no idea that this was a series, I always thought it was a stand-alone NES game. :TU:

@PES4eva This is a new one for me! I only knew Excitebike for NES! Very interesting that I had never even heard of the SNES version, great find!

There's also an N64 version! I had no idea that this was a series, I always thought it was a stand-alone NES game. :TU:

Yeah it’s a bit of an obscurity as far as the western market goes.

I’m aware of the N64 version but I have no interest in playing it. I’m actually not a big fan of the N64, I was a PS1 guy 😁

I think the best excite bike was on the wii. Like the orignal style but with updated graphics and it had online play. So addictive and so much fun!

Loves these types of games when you’ve got a buddy to play locally. On the flip side, I can’t stand to play them single player.

I actually love to play these types of games either single player or co-op (in person or online). One of my favorite ones from this genre is Knights of Valour, it mixes BTA with a "Romance of the 3 Kingdoms" setting, which is right up my alley (being as I am a huge fan of BTA's and Chinese settings). :) I can't even count how many BTA's I've collected, all in all they might be my favorite retrogaming genre ever! I also love the fact that they seem to have a huge indie revival for PC gaming, for example the newest Streets of Rage, etc. :TU:

@millossobek
I’m usually well versed on retro games but I’ve honestly never heard of Knights of valour. It looks really good. Can’t stand to play them solo like I said but I’m sure there’s a way of playing some of these online through emulators. I’ll look into it and if you’ve got some spare time on your hands I’d love to be able to actually play these co-op if you’re interested?
PS. Where are all the other people that like retro gaming here? Surely we aren’t the only ones!

Edit: it seems retroarch has this capability.

Last edited:
@PES4eva There are a few others have participated in the thread, like for example @vialli82 who unfortunately is not in the forum anymore, but also @slamsoze and a few others, if you go back there are several posters who are into retrogaming.

Sure, we can set it up through PM whenever we both have time and have a retrogaming session if you know a way to do it! :TU: Maybe King of Dragons or even Knights of Valour (although I think KOV is only available through MAME, so maybe KOD could be the better option).

Last edited:
@PES4eva There are a few others have participated in the thread, like for example @vialli82 who unfortunately is not in the forum anymore, but also @slamsoze and a few others, if you go back there are several posters who are into retrogaming.

Sure, we can set it up through PM whenever we both have time and have a retrogaming session if you know a way to do it! :TU: Maybe King of Dragons or even Knights of Valour (although I think KOV is only available through MAME, so maybe KOD could be the better option).
Sounds good. I’ll be in touch!

I played some online retro games with @PES4eva, Knights of Valour, Samurai Shodown, KOF 98, and Super Bomberman and it was really fun!

Such a wealth of retrogames to be discovered and played! I'd never played Super Bomberman 5, that was awesome. :)

I had never heard of Sengoku 3! Here is the arcade/Neo Geo Version! An interesting point about this game is that the soundtrack was created by Toshikazu Tanaka, of King of Fighters fame! Looks like a classic BTA, I think this late 90's/early 2000's era is a golden age for BTA's! I'm actually always in the hunt for this genre and this game looks really solid, apparently it's a battle against undead monsters in a pseudo-ninja/samurai world. I really like the player characters as wel, definitely one to add to the collection! :TU:

Growing up, that was the one game that you just so badly wanted from this era? But as kids, you just didn’t have the money to just go out and buy it.

I can think of one for me - WWF Royal Rumble on SNES. Xmas seemed to take forever to arrive! I was not disappointed on Xmas day. I loved it.

Side note - I only recently learnt that there were often Roster differences between the SNES and MegaDrive WWF games. The MegaDrive seems to get the better package.

@Shales I've never checked out WWF Royal Rumble! I think the reason was because I played a lot of WWF Raw, and Royal Rumble looked quite similar in terms of graphics and gameplay, but now taking a second look there are quite a few differences! I liked Raw, I think it was one of the best Wrestling titles out there (At least WWF and WCW based, my favorite SNES Wrestling game of all time is Super Fire Pro Wrestling, but that one is based in the Japanese Wrestling World, with a few WWF and WCW additions..)

Last edited:

@Shales I've never checked out WWF Royal Rumble! I think the reason was because I played a lot of WWF Raw, and Royal Rumble looked quite similar in terms of graphics and gameplay, but now taking a second look there are quite a few differences! I liked Raw, I think it was one of the best Wrestling titles out there (At least WWF and WCW based, my favorite SNES Wrestling game of all time is Super Fire Pro Wrestling, but that one is based in the Japanese Wrestling World, with a few WWF and WCW additions..)
Yeah RAW was decent! Had great fun playing the 4 player Bedlam mode with friends. I remember I offered a shop in my local town £30 to buy their rental copy as I couldn’t find it anywhere else. It seemed to be quite rare.

@Shales Here's another WWF game I really liked, perhaps my favorite WWF game of all time: Wrestlemania 2000 for N64! Man, I played so much of this game with friends, we created likenesses of ourselves, complete with entrance songs, outfits, moves.. The customization was insane! Also, I was a Rock fan so when I was playing by myself, I would do a best of 5 against Stone Cold Steve Austin, and man it was usually either 3-2 for myself or 2-3 for the CPU. The difficulty was crazy. One thing I loved about this game was that moreso than health, you had an "attitude" bar, which increased and decreased due to various factors (momentum could switch on a dime), so that was really cool. Highly recommended! :)

I've been playing this one lately, LEGEND for the Super NIntendo! Took me a while to find it, I remember that I had played this on emulator many years back but couldn't remember the name, until I stumbled upon it in the ROM collection! This was of those later SNES games, released in the mid-nineties, which I believe pushed the capabilities of the console's graphics! As a huge fan of BTA's (especially medieval or historical), this game is right up my alley! It might look a bit slow and deliberate, but the melee is surprisingly fun when you get into it, and the soundtrack is great too! Love the large, colorful sprites with a lot of character. :TU:

Last edited:

Looking for more 16-bit BTA's I stumbled upon this one.. Water Margin (Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan) for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive! Haven't played it yet, but it looks really cool. As some of you might know from following my posts in this thread, I love Ancient Chinese themed games, and this one I had never heard of! I really like how it looks, the different enemies and landscapes, and the action looks solid! I am always surprised at the sheer number of 16 bit BTA's that I have yet to discover, this one will be going in the collection for sure!

Back
Top Bottom