Spelunky 2 [PS4/PC]

Isslander

Gordon's alive!
3 August 2003
Iceland
Liverpool
The Sony State of Play yesterday was not that bad, considering it was mostly PS4 stuff. The Best thing has to be this pretty deep dive into the sequel to one of the best games of all time, Spelunky.

I have thousands of runs in Spelunky, it took me exactly 1000 tries to finish it the first time. And that was finishing it the easy way, the real ending hidden behind layers of secrets. I have very high hopes for this game, and am very happy it will be coming out the same time of year as the Vita version I mostly played came out, in the fall. September 15 to be exact.
PC and PS4 at launch, they will be looking at more platforms after that, see video.

The Sony State of Play yesterday was not that bad, considering it was mostly PS4 stuff. The Best thing has to be this pretty deep dive into the sequel to one of the best games of all time, Spelunky.

I have thousands of runs in Spelunky, it took me exactly 1000 tries to finish it the first time. And that was finishing it the easy way, the real ending hidden behind layers of secrets. I have very high hopes for this game, and am very happy it will be coming out the same time of year as the Vita version I mostly played came out, in the fall. September 15 to be exact.
PC and PS4 at launch, they will be looking at more platforms after that, see video.
Ist ja immer schön wenn alle Titel auf allen Konsolen erscheinen. Aber das hat für mich „sowas von“ nichts von Next Gen! Ich bin mir bewusst dass weitere Titel ein Upgrade erfahren werden... und gut so!
Aber das wars doch nicht wirklich zum Start...?!

Edit: I got lost for a second. Let me translate that tmw.

Ist ja immer schön wenn alle Titel auf allen Konsolen erscheinen. Aber das hat für mich „sowas von“ nichts von Next Gen! Ich bin mir bewusst dass weitere Titel ein Upgrade erfahren werden... und gut so!
Aber das wars doch nicht wirklich zum Start...?!
Please translate this for us, English posts only here!

Please translate this for us, English posts only here!
Man, you are sitting on the fence. And i like that.

Told you guys i got lost....

It's always nice when all titles appear on all
consoles. But for me that has nothing to do”
about Next Gen! I am aware that other titles will be upgraded ... and that's good!
But that's not really how it should start ...?!

Hope that makes it more clear. Have a nice weekend y’all. Embrace life!!

Last edited:
The first is an HELL of a masterpiece, I've spent hundreds of hours on it, surely one of the best games I've ever played in general and I'm not saying it lightly. Hard to put in words how much variety, freshness, depth and most of all genuine fun it delivered. The glaring proof you don't need 3d hyper complex graphics when you have good ideas and you know how to translate them on pad.

I haven't followed much about this sequel (mostly because development was slow as hell and at some point I simply lost track), but I'll give them money on day one regardless. They deserve no less.

Man, you are sitting on the fence. And i like that.

Told you guys i got lost....

It's always nice when all titles appear on all
consoles. But for me that has nothing to do”
about Next Gen! I am aware that other titles will be upgraded ... and that's good!
But that's not really how it should start ...?!

Hope that makes it more clear. Have a nice weekend y’all. Embrace life!!

No I have to admit I don't really know what you are talking about.

Quite heartbreaking to go back into the original Spelunky and find that I have lost the edge, I think I might just wait until the new one comes out instead of trying to master it again.

Although, if I haven't actually finished Spelunky under 8 minutes, was I ever a pro player to begin with? Missing that trophy will forever haunt me.

Last edited:
No I have to admit I don't really know what you are talking about.

Quite heartbreaking to go back into the original Spelunky and find that I have lost the edge, I think I might just wait until the new one comes out instead of trying to master it again.

Although, if I haven't actually finished Spelunky under 8 minutes, was I ever a pro player to begin with? Missing that trophy will forever haunt me.
Next gen starts of with a lot of remakes and optimized titles from current gen.
On top of that come games like Spelunky, from like decades ago!
I miss a more even software lineup; new IP‘s, new games, optimized stuff and remakes...

I miss a more even software lineup; new IP‘s, new games, optimized stuff and remakes...

Sure, this particular game is coming out on PS4 though, nothing next-gen about it. It was originally supposed to come out last year.

I fail to see how Spelunky's sequel (a title that didn't even pretend to be next gen) would be guilty for supposed next gen blandness..

And by the way, have you ever played it? If yes, I don't see how can you dismiss it with a simple "from decades ago". If not.. judging it from a few clips would be a great mistake. Read some reviews around maybe, I assure you there is waay more than meets the eye here.

I fail to see how Spelunky's sequel (a title that didn't even pretend to be next gen) would be guilty for supposed next gen blandness..

And by the way, have you ever played it? If yes, I don't see how can you dismiss it with a simple "from decades ago". If not.. judging it from a few clips would be a great mistake. Read some reviews around maybe, I assure you there is waay more than meets the eye here.
Never played it. Only those types of games when I was a kid.
Im not saying this titles is next gen or advertising as such. For me it’s just old school and I’m feeling I played that stuff enough.
But like I could love a car from the 70‘s and others might prefer the latest in car tech, I can fully understand the passion for all kind of games. I just wish for the start of a new generation there there was a more even lineup of games but it feels more like 20% new games, 80% remakes and updates.

So if this game falls into that release window I might have put it together with the remakes. My fault. Sorry.

Im not saying this titles is next gen or advertising as such. For me it’s just old school and I’m feeling I played that stuff enough.
If we went into every thread of every game we don't like, just to say "I don't like this", it'd be a long day...

I just wish for the start of a new generation there there was a more even lineup of games but it feels more like 20% new games, 80% remakes and updates.
This is a PS4 release though... It's not part of the new generation.

(I felt this way about pretty much every game in the PS5 announce video, by the way - but when I said this at the time, I was largely told I was just a hater. But this isn't the thread for any of this...)

By the way, Mario Bros 3, Sonic or whatever are old school.. platforms (although Spelunky isn't even just that technically, it's a roguelite) as a whole genre certainly isn't.

Then I don't want to drag it forever, to each his own of course. But there is platformish stuff out there like this same game or I don't know, Ori and the Blind Forest for example which compared with old stuff are like Doom Eternal to the first Quake :) .

I loved the first game, It's addictive and is the perfect, pic up & play couch co-op game. I lost my mind when i first saw the announcement trailer for the sequel a couple of years ago and totally forgot about it until Friday. I was worried it was never going to come, And now it is - A month away!

Though i must admit, I'm a little intimidated by this trailer... 😂

I read into this one a bit, it was quite general at least to begin with. I will be going blind into this one, seeing how far I can go to begin with.

This better come out on the bloody stroke of midnight, I will be miffed if I have to wait until some time tomorrow to play.

I have played enough to be able to kind of run through the first 1-3 levels. This game is mad brutal though. It's Spelunky, but harder.

I don't like this.
I love the idea of it, but I couldn't get past the first 10 levels in the first one and ended up really hating it. Not because it was hard, but because it felt purposefully frustrating - not being able to see the surface you're about to land on etc...

Spelunky is all about embracing failure and learning from it. At one point, there is no frustration at death, only a laugh as you know it is a part of the journey.

light spoilers for between level 1 and 2
Level 2 is either a Jungle (with more dangers than before), the entrance is marked with butterflies flying around it. The other one is Volcano, and it is where the fluid dynamics first kick in. That one is mad, got killed on it almost instantly the couple of times I have had a look in. 1-4 has a boss character, almost, alhough you get past without killing him.

The first is one of those games I've had in my Steam library for years and never really got around to playing, can't even remember when/where I bought it to be honest and it's been over 5 years since I "Last played" it according to Steam :P.

I remember watching a run of it on YouTube and thinking it looked like a nice little game, but barely making it through a handful of levels in my 2 hours of playing :D.

Can appreciate it was a great game though, and may give it another go later. I should probably at least complete one run before considering buying the sequel :P.

Generally for newcomers to this series, It's important to remember this isn't a conventional platformer where the goal is to complete the game in rudimentary fashion. The game is about preparting along your journey for the unexpected. The original was pioneering in procedurally generated levels so no 2 playtrough's would ever be the same. The game is supposed to be tough and it can feel no matter how skilled or how prepared you are, everything in the game poses an unforgivable threat and danger.

Oh and it may not apply to all, But the game is best experienced as a couch co-op. Working as a team, watching each others back as you try an conquer these levels and get deeper into the caves into the unknown is one of the most additive, fun and accomplished feelings you can get in a video game.

Couch co op is rough though, because one player controls the screen. Online co op should be brilliant.
Yeah that is true but if you both have good communication in place than the person who controls the screen should be waiting for player 2 before wandering off further anyway. It never bothered me and i always considered it part of the strategy and challenge of the game. Besides you both need to be within proximity of each other to benefit from the advantage co-op provides anyway in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom