Shooting??!!

lovesexy

League 2
15 October 2008
I think it's about time we started a 'shooting' thread as I feel it's as arbitrary at best!

I do get the sense that it's more sensitive than previous years though... even if I can't hit the proverbial barn door!

Some people say shoot when the ball is close to your player - some say the opposite. I can't find the truth!

Interested to hear your thoughts/advice.

Last edited:
Yeah, I find the shooting really hit and miss too. Sometimes I don't know what I've done wrong to make the shot float up and over the bar, and other times I catch it brilliantly and it flies in.

I think it's mainly because the shooting in PES 2011 emphasises the importance of a mixture of player atrributes (body balance, accuracy etc.), player positioning (whether your player has the space/is not being challenged) and the time you have on the ball more than in any other PES. If you have the space and time and you're shooting with a decent player i.e. a decent forward or midfielder, 9/10 you'll hit it on target with power - but of course this is in an ideal situation.

PES 2011 can be VERY unforgiving if you rush it, try and hit it off-balance/or when you're under pressure from the defence. With the tighter defenses in PES 2011 it can be difficult to get that time and space, so most are only experiencing decent/consistent shooting with those better players who have the ability to find that time and space for a decent shot. Also, long range shooting is a lot harder, it was quite forgiving in PES 2009/2010, but now you're only really going to produce a decent shot outside the area with someone in the 80s/90s shot accuracy/power ala Stevie G.

It's all a balancing exercise. I couldn't shoot for shit with Newcastle at the start of my ML, but I'm getting used to players now and playing to their strengths - put it this way if Carrol gets even a sniff of the goal inside the area it's going in the net as he's strong, balanced and powerful, but anywhere outside the box and he'll sky it.

Last edited:
I think it's mainly because the shooting in PES 2011 emphasises the importance of a mixture of player atrributes (body balance, accuracy etc.), player positioning (whether your player has the space/is not being challenged) and the time you have on the ball more than in any other PES. If you have the space and time and you're shooting with a decent player i.e. a decent forward or midfielder, 9/10 you'll hit it on target with power - but of course this is in an ideal situation.

PES 2011 can be VERY unforgiving if you rush it, try and hit it off-balance/or when you're under pressure from the defence. With the tighter defenses in PES 2011 it can be difficult to get that time and space, so most are only experiencing decent/consistent shooting with those better players who have the ability to find that time and space for a decent shot. Also, long range shooting is a lot harder, it was quite forgiving in PES 2009/2010, but now you're only really going to produce a decent shot outside the area with someone in the 80s/90s shot accuracy/power ala Stevie G.

It's all a balancing exercise. I couldn't shoot for shit with Newcastle at the start of my ML, but I'm getting used to players now and playing to their strengths - put it this way if Carrol gets even a sniff of the goal inside the area it's going in the net as he's strong, balanced and powerful, but anywhere outside the box and he'll sky it.

Spot on. A lot of people won't like this because it's not as easy as PES5&6

I agree with the above posters- there's many variables which seem to affect how well your player responds to shooting.

I find in particular defensive pressure has a large baring on it- a lot of the time if one of my players is struggling to find space, the ball will go high or wide. If he gets half a yard and space to turn, there's a lot more power on the shot. I imagine stats like shot accuracy, balance and technique all come into play here.

OK, I start to get the idea with the new shooting system- as many aspects of this year's game, it's an attmpt at revolution as well. Anybody who played football in real life will undestand what I am about to say.

Firstly, yes, it is about the position of the player in relation to the ball.

Secondly its about the direction you aim and its relation to players posture. If you played footbal yourself, you know that depending on your body position in relation to goal its is easier or harder to shoot across your body, it is easier or harder to head/shoot against the oncoming cross or perpendicular to it. This is VERY important- with all players.

Thirdly its about taping the shoot button very very late, much later than in previous PESes.

Forthly, its about aiming- I believe (after practicing penalties in training mode) that you need to pres shoot, then delay, then press and HOLD the direction in which you want to shoot. On the "Long" camera I hold either UP or DOWN.

I spent about two hours in training mode, and then it started to dawn on me- shooting is not just whether you want to strike hard/weak low/high, its what you position/posture actually ALLOWS you to do. Choosing the right shot makes big difference, choosing the wrong one usually ends up with ball in the stands unless miraculous technique of Berbatov or somebody like him occasionally defy laws of nature. This and timing your button press late - also important.

I love the shooting, and also love watching people online fuck up theirs when they try ridiculous, impossible shots that would result in goals in other football games! :D

Some of the powerful low shots I've hit have been stunning, one goal in particular with Djemsav, but it was in an online tournament so (unless I'm missing something?) I couldn't save the replay. About 30 yards out, running onto a manual lay-off by Cahill, belted it first time and it flew into the far corner, hardly leaving the ground, almost broke the net! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom